Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

carry on then posted:

lol that sounds interesting, did they mention any specific examples of what they do to make people keep moving?

they did but I can't remember them. i think one of them was intentionally doing away with natural lighting in favor of fluorescent. or how the specific proportions to any walkable spaces or how benches are aligned are just 'off' and makes you want to try and move somewhere else.

quick googling I was able to find an article that talks about the original vision for the mall but it doesn't go into how the modern ones went so intentionally wrong

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/04/the-last-shopping-mall/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
lmao cool i found the exact same article.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Necc0 posted:

they did but I can't remember them. i think one of them was intentionally doing away with natural lighting in favor of fluorescent. or how the specific proportions to any walkable spaces or how benches are aligned are just 'off' and makes you want to try and move somewhere else.

yeah if you notice, every place you can sit is a place that makes you unable to actually relax mentally. there are no quiet corners to chill for a few. every bench is sitting right there in the middle with tons of traffic

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

yeah mass market retail and tripping balls aren't really a good combo

brb going to bid on a grand piano

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Necc0 posted:

So kinda like the hotel in The Shining, then

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

fart simpson posted:

giant empty shells are a modern chinese tradition though :china: there's a gigantic apartment complex in a prime shenzhen real estate area about 15 minutes away from me that's been completely vacant since it was built because it was intended for government workers, but a lot of local people thought it was too luxurious looking for civil servants, so the government said "ok fine, nobody gets to live there then"

When I lived in Shenzhen in 2002-3 all of those towers were popping up in LuoHu. I thought the bubble would have popped by now but the govt is doing it's hardest to not let that happen. I'd tell people that living there during that time was real life simcity.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

Actually, here's a good article that backs up what he's saying, pretty solidly.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/04/the-last-shopping-mall/

its a pretty bullshit overblown thesis tbh. as is typical for jacobin.

the phrasing implied that there was a mass movement to be like that one guy's plan, but it was really just him and a few others all along, and the indoor shopping mall design predates him

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah if you notice, every place you can sit is a place that makes you unable to actually relax mentally. there are no quiet corners to chill for a few. every bench is sitting right there in the middle with tons of traffic

i've been to plenty of malls where this isn't so hth

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
fishmech: shopping mall connoisseur

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

its a pretty bullshit overblown thesis tbh. as is typical for jacobin.

the phrasing implied that there was a mass movement to be like that one guy's plan, but it was really just him and a few others all along, and the indoor shopping mall design predates him

abandoned malls dont count

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nintendo Kid posted:

cool. I haven't been in a mall since the twin towers were standing

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
on one hand i agree that the shopping center as a parking lot surrounded by stores is grossly aesthetically offensive

but on the other hand if i only want to get to one store, having to park in the mall parking lot and waste a bunch of time going through the mall to get there can be annoying

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm not sure that's necessarily the result of some grand plan to make malls uncomfortable places for people, it could just as easily be the result of selling as much space as possible to stores and vendors in order to maximize profit, and then bringing as many people into the mall as possible. quiet corners are unprofitable wasted space

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

cool. I haven't been in a mall since the twin towers were standing

yeah we're aware you're disconnected from modern civilized society due to your extended imprisonment in ar

the local mall here in the mountains has a big ol area in the center with like fireplaces and a bunch of couches/padded chairs to just chill at with somewhat restricted sightlines from anywhere within it to the main walkin' aisles.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

You seriously can't read the message inside that story ("the desire for revenge consumes you, mercy sets you free") just because it's framed as a noble-savage thing huh.

Shrug

it would be just as hosed up if it were modern first-worlders, dude

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my anecdotal evidence is more significant than your anecdotal evidence, guys

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
malls are cool and a good place to hang out if you are a child or into children

another acceptable reason to go to the mall is if you have children of your own that you are paranoid about getting involved with the aforementioned

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

most malls have a gamestop and/or an auntie anne's.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

anyway i later found out that that story was actually from a movie, lol. i still tell it to people (with this qualification) when it seems appropriate though because i think despite the white racism it has a nice message about grief and revenge.

it turned out to be from a movie, but torture totally worked this one time, lets keep tellin that story!!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

jesus, /r/uberdrivers is a goldmine

I often guide conversation in my car to other businesses that I participate in and I'm wondering if anyone else does this and what they promote. Please share...I'd like to find more opportunities to make driving profitable.

I signed up as a promoter with ADTpays.com for home alarm systems and monitoring. I get paid $125 for each person who gets an alarm installed using my referral code. ADTpays provides 50 free brochures for you to use when you sign up and you can request another 50 every time you get an install. If you want to sign up as a promoter, go to ADTpays.com and click on "Sign Up." I'd appreciate it if you choose "Another ADTpays.com promoter" on the next page and click continue. Then use my referral code (A158584) on the next page. Once you are signed up, you can then share your referral code with fellow drivers and for every sale where they get paid $125, you get $25....That's in addition to promoting the system itself.

Of course, I cross promote both Lyft and Uber. If I have an Uber rider, I ask if they use Lyft. If not, I give them my referral code for their free first ride. And vice versa.

I have my own real estate business and I need to constantly be looking for leads, so I often share my business card and try to drum up some business here.

I sell Scentsy and keep catalogs and light bulbs in my car.

My rating constantly hovers around 4.9, so I don't think these conversations are annoying people...of course, I am subtle about it at this point.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Hong Kong rules Shenzhen drools

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I am driver, only on weekends. I have a good 9-5 job where it only take me 10-15 minutes to get to work, about 8 miles away. I have to be honest - if I lived in one the cities that had under $1/mile rate cuts, I would get rid of one of my 2 cars that my wife & I have. It would be cheaper to commute via uberX than to pay for the payment, insurance and upkeep that I incur just for the convenience that I get for driving myself to work. I can double down on this theory since I can also work from home on an as-needed basis.

This is only in theory though, not my specific situation. Both of our cars are paid off. But for example if the rates stayed this low, and it came time to replace one of the cars, I would just sell it and go uberX.

and a reply

People have already done this. I once got a ping 10 minutes out in the suburbs and I thought great, somebody who wants to go to the city or the airport, so this should be a pretty good trip. When I picked him, he was just going 0.5 miles to the grade school for parent/teacher conferences.

While in the car, he was on the phone with someone else telling whoever he was talking to that he was using an Uber right now because his wife had the car and they decided to use Uber instead of getting a 2nd car and would continue to do so until using Uber became more expensive then a monthly car and insurance payment.

After the 0.5 mile trip min fare ride, he exited the vehicle without tipping. So a 10 minute drive out of the city and facing another 10 minute drive without a fare to get back in it, I spent 40 minutes of my time to drive this asshat 0.5 miles for $3.80 gross and no tip.

At the end of the trip I rated him 2 stars to warn other drivers what they are getting themselves into if they accept his fare. But just like they usually do when you rate a rider low, I am sure Uber removed that rating from his record.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Wild EEPROM posted:

Hong Kong rules Shenzhen drools

This is quite the truth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

driving 0.5 miles instead of walking

nice.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

driving 0.5 miles instead of walking

nice.

depending on what exurban hellscape it was that might have been one of those "drive 0.5 miles or walk 3" situations

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's cool and good that if I wish to go to a mall that I have the largest mall in the US in terms of retail space within a half hour.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's cool and good that I have like every possible store within a mile of me and I don't have to go in a mall

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's cool and good that I have a Prime account

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

qirex posted:

it's cool and good that I have like every possible store within a mile of me and I don't have to go in a mall

Same, OP. Same.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

As a Millennial I posted:

I am driver, only on weekends. I have a good 9-5 job where it only take me 10-15 minutes to get to work, about 8 miles away. I have to be honest - if I lived in one the cities that had under $1/mile rate cuts, I would get rid of one of my 2 cars that my wife & I have. It would be cheaper to commute via uberX than to pay for the payment, insurance and upkeep that I incur just for the convenience that I get for driving myself to work. I can double down on this theory since I can also work from home on an as-needed basis.

This is only in theory though, not my specific situation. Both of our cars are paid off. But for example if the rates stayed this low, and it came time to replace one of the cars, I would just sell it and go uberX.

and a reply

People have already done this. I once got a ping 10 minutes out in the suburbs and I thought great, somebody who wants to go to the city or the airport, so this should be a pretty good trip. When I picked him, he was just going 0.5 miles to the grade school for parent/teacher conferences.

While in the car, he was on the phone with someone else telling whoever he was talking to that he was using an Uber right now because his wife had the car and they decided to use Uber instead of getting a 2nd car and would continue to do so until using Uber became more expensive then a monthly car and insurance payment.

After the 0.5 mile trip min fare ride, he exited the vehicle without tipping. So a 10 minute drive out of the city and facing another 10 minute drive without a fare to get back in it, I spent 40 minutes of my time to drive this asshat 0.5 miles for $3.80 gross and no tip.

At the end of the trip I rated him 2 stars to warn other drivers what they are getting themselves into if they accept his fare. But just like they usually do when you rate a rider low, I am sure Uber removed that rating from his record.

itll be cool if uber becomes too big to fail because nobody owns the car they use to get to work anymore

e; cool AND good

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

depending on what exurban hellscape it was that might have been one of those "drive 0.5 miles or walk 3" situations

walk on the freeway, subvert the suburban auto conformism complex

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

DolphinCop posted:

itll be cool if uber becomes too big to fail because nobody owns the car they use to get to work anymore

e; cool AND good

good save.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

the new south china mall is not a mall it is a monument to poor planning and ego
http://www.vagabondjourney.com/new-south-china-mall-the-worlds-largest-mall-is-still-99-deserted/

this is a really bad article

let's repeat the same sophomoric drivel about how "places that are meant to be alive just seem all the more dead maaaaaaaaaan" over and over again so it appears profound from the sheer repitition

and you can see the points where he went "poo poo i'd better pull out a thesaurus so that people think i'm not a lovely writer", let's make up words like "ephemerality" so i sound smart

also noah built an ark, not an arc you loving dingus.

gee 200k in the hole on this journalism degree, i'd better pay somebody to let me work as an intern for their lovely loving website or i might not look as enthusiastic as the other worthless rejects chasing all the nonexistent jobs in this sector

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

if you're in an exurban hellscape then you ain't getting sidewalks whatever route you take, but there also ain't gonna be any roads you can't walk alongside

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Jonny 290 posted:

it's cool and good that I have a Prime account

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mr Dog posted:

this is a really bad article

let's repeat the same sophomoric drivel about how "places that are meant to be alive just seem all the more dead maaaaaaaaaan" over and over again so it appears profound from the sheer repitition

and you can see the points where he went "poo poo i'd better pull out a thesaurus so that people think i'm not a lovely writer", let's make up words like "ephemerality" so i sound smart

also noah built an ark, not an arc you loving dingus.

gee 200k in the hole on this journalism degree, i'd better pay somebody to let me work as an intern for their lovely loving website or i might not look as enthusiastic as the other worthless rejects chasing all the nonexistent jobs in this sector

I remember that article

the pics were really cool but the text was really bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah I just posted it because it was the first article I read about it and it has lots of pictures

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
brick and mortar shopping is a cute indulgence of self importance and hubris in many cases

YES SHOPKEEP LET ME INSPECT YOUR WARES. I CAN CLEARLY DISCERN THE QUALITATIVE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THESE TWO STYLES OF BLU-RAY PLAYER. QUALITY WARES. *taps case* ALL 3 OF OUR CHILDREN WERE 'ACCIDENTS'

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
in-person shopping is cool and good when purchasing things that have to go into or around your body (although there's always naughtydragon.com for the former) but as for everything else well all hail the new flesh

the future of the working class is death by heatstroke sprinting a cart around an un air conditioned warehouse after the morning's walk past the line of rights-less contingent workers desperate to take your job when you bite it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr Dog posted:

the future of the working class is death by heatstroke sprinting a cart around an un air conditioned warehouse after the morning's walk past the line of rights-less contingent workers desperate to take your job when you bite it
future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah but other times you're like drat I need a louis vuitton wallet and some lube and if you live in a city you can have both of those things in like an hour

• Locked thread