Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

In Persona 4, at one point when prompted to give a response to something, you can choose to tell the other person, "I do not comprehend."

Also Cielo mist in persona 3.

Worklurker fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Roland's been introduced, so here's a good illustration of him and his demon form.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So I picked up the first game because it looked fun, and just got up to Orochi. You know how you said he basically never uses MP Thief?

He used it for 24 of his turns in a row while I beat his face in with Mind Charged Death Flies. To even the exclusion of Dekunda and Dekaja.

I think I broke him somehow.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Argent Cinereus posted:

And the amp bracers are named after the related characters (Agni, Varuna, Vayu, Indra).

Probably less "named after the DDS characters" and more "named after the same Hindu dieties the characters in DDS are named after"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

President Ark posted:

Probably less "named after the DDS characters('s atma forms)" and more "named after the same Hindu dieties the characters in DDS are named after"

If the elements match up to each bracelet then I'd say yeah that was the intention.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the protagonists actually escaped from the simulation and... leaked out of a cable. That's amazing.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

GarrBear posted:

*twitch*

Love DDS2, I never tried Hard Mode but the way you are steamrolling through the game is making me reconsider. I liked the fact Roland has more of an inorganic look going on, made him stand out from the 'main' cast for me. Have there been any callbacks/cameos of DDS in any other Atlus games, like with the Demifiend in DDS1? Seems a shame the franchise has disappeared, like Raidou :smith:

In Catherine you can play a couple of MegaTen series soundtracks including DDS on the pub jukebox.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Glazius posted:

So the protagonists actually escaped from the simulation and... leaked out of a cable. That's amazing.

Were they referrign to the protagonists, or just the information the traitor gave to the Lokapala? Like that EM program Roland got.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
So Sera was 7 when the whole thing started up, and it's been 5 years since then.

I was right, she WAS barely a teenager in the first game? Or do I have that wrong?

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

thetrueoskar posted:

So Sera was 7 when the whole thing started up, and it's been 5 years since then.

I was right, she WAS barely a teenager in the first game? Or do I have that wrong?

I believe that sera is affected by accelerated aging/genetic shenanigans, so grown-upish/teen body and a child's mind/heart. In this context makes the thing Heat did in the first game so much worst than it already was.

Worklurker fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 9, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Road to Sodom ~ The Second Movement

We won't be talking to everyone this time around, since its mostly just samey stuff.

But, I do like that Fred and Roland have painted their clothes to be more accurate to the Embryon's style. Roland added the orange stripe to his left sleeve (right above his brand) and Fred's done it on his right leg and even his hat.

But, I like you all. And, Sera cares about us too... and dat can't be fake. We gotta follow de love, ja?

Cielo has the best ideas.

Anyway, a bit to the left is a relatively easy to miss Great Chakra. You CAN very, very slightly see the light on its side when talking to Cielo but it's super hard to notice if you don't know it's there.

Going up!

The Mole (2)

Silence

I wonder what this guy's up to...

Scheme of Betrayal

Impossible, How could that happen?

I see.

So, Angel has a gun of her own, huh?

But she only has just the one bullet. Can't really capitalise on hitting a weakness that way.

So that's it...

So artificial...

End

Just a small little rest stop before we move on to our main goal here.

It does give us a chance to talk to everyone, but like before we'll just skip most of it.

I just like this one because you can see Adil right there, and the whole disturbance thing is superfluous and unnecessary.

We can enter regardless of what Adil does or does not do. :v:

Meeeeaaaat! Processing Plant

Alright NOW we can begin the next dungeon.

Immediately to the left of the entrance is a small karma terminal and a life terminal. At least you can take a break pretty quick here if you really need to.

There's nothing else by the entrance and progress is nice and easy to come across. Just go straight north.

And immediately get stopped by this fella.

This is the shop. Wherever I set up shop, that's where the shop is. This is serious business -- remember that.

Mad Mart

"A wise man sets up shop in enemy territory." Got it?

Alright, so flowers sell for seemingly low amounts of cash considering how expensive things get but that's not a problem. These are the first couple after all. We'll just sell one clover for now and...

Unlock the ability to upgrade the Mad Mart stuff. Unlike before where it was only from selling Cells, here it's done whenever you buy or sell past certain amounts. $100 gets you 1 point and we need 100 points to get the store upgraded a little. So, uh, $10,000 in total which isn't really that bad. We could do it immediately by selling that Great Chakra but I am a weird and dumb hoarder so I don't.

Instead, I sell a bunch of crap I don't need, buy meh items I don't need and then this happens.

That means you're Rank 2 now. Serious business relies on serious customers, like you. You ranked up, huh? Go ahead, check out the new items.

Even I don't know what's inside those things. Serious business requires a little risk, you know? For your informtion, I don't award points for box purchases. It's nothing personal...

The box stuff is in in buy items, but the other thing we get at rank 2 is the ability to buy a couple Karma Rings. We'll do that in a minute.

First, we need Max solar noise. This is important.

Now we'll buy the Magic and Quick Rings. Only one of each because you can't have two of any ring. Sucks but its understandable why.

This does give us 60 points for an easy no brainer, though. You can't get the rings anywhere else and the Magic one, at least, is very good.

Once we get both we can get a random meh item for free. At least I might remember to use the Chakra Drop sometime ever, so I guess we'll take that.

Only boxes available right now are Crimson ones but they're arguably the best ones (for what we need) anyway so that's nice.

See, the Crimson Box can give any low tier attack item. This covers all the five elemental stuff, as well as expel and dark. Wild Cards too, which we can sell for 1100 which gives a small profit. Too random to be worthwhile though.

BUT! At Max Solar Noise, boxes have a chance of containing something else. It's random still, but...

We can get a new Ring from them. The Rich Ring is argaubly the best of the bunch you can get this way. The name's a big clue but we'll see why in a minute.

First...

Now that we're rank 2, everything sells for an extra 10% more than its base selling price. Hence Wild Cards selling for 1100 despite being 1000 before, for example. So, we CAN manipulate the sell prices for flowers but they can only go up and it takes actual work now.

...Needless to say, yes, there are flowers it is much better to hold onto and sell once the prices get higher.

We could easily,
easily, get to Rank 3 right now but I'm content with where we are for the time being. It's only $9400 more 'til Rank 3 and that's gonna be very easy to manage anyway.

...Especially since the Rich Ring is fantastic. It's not a significant boost (only 1.25x the normal amount) but it helps a ton all the same. Considering how much of a problem it can be gaining money especially early on, this makes it so much easier.

Hey, remember this Yellow Crystal? Let's use it now. The Magic Ring gives +3 pushing Cielo to 16 Magic making him competent.

Stacking the Crystal onto it makes it +5. Much better, much more usable and puts Cielo on par with everyone else worth using spells with now. How nice.

Anyway, we just run further on in and then this happens.

If Boss finds out we didn't notice the spies... *shudder*
Come on, let's kill this guy before that happens.
It doesn't matter. We'll take care of you first.

Now we can finally see Roland in action...

He doesn't quite be as show-offy as the Embryon, but he is new to this whole Tuning business after all.

Doesn't stop Indra from being cool tho.

Heroic Battle

Anyway, we fight a couple Nues. I wonder what they're weak to...

Oh no what a surprise. It was Fire all along.

So, yeah, this is not a hard fight. Oh well.

At least we got the first of a couple new skills out of it. Resolution is a passive that makes it so your regular attack hits harder as you lose health. It's pretty niche but could be really useful for Berserk fights I guess. Really the biggest problem with it is that it doesn't work for skills at all.

What about the others who snuck in? Are they alright?
Yeah. They should be mixed in with the prisoners in the underground prison.

He's...really strong. There's no way you can defeat him in a straight fight.

Alright, now we can finally proceed onwards. There's a minor detour to the left and it just leads to a chest containing 3 Dis-Mutes. Meh.

Battle for Survival

Lots of new enemies, though. Onkots are back and better than before if only because they don't have a weakness to Elec now. Except their ailment weakness has become all encompassing.

...Also Cielo starts with Dream Haze.

Azus seem intimidating with two mid-tier spells, but being weak to Elec (and Gun but whatever) is kind of a death sentence considering most of the party knows Zio.

Orobas is even less of a threat. We hit it with Bufu and literally anything else and it dies.

...And when it does, this happens. Sapphires are pretty nice, but also a complete crapshoot.

Boosts a stat by a very nice amount for this stage but its wholly random which one. Still, giving Serph +6 Strength or turning the Power Ring into a +3/+3 Str/Mag attack booster or basically anything else is pretty good too. There's not really a bad roll here.

It came up Luck which is arguably the worst. It's not ideal, sure, but it's not bad either so can't complain.

Battle with Rare Devil
inexplicably not on the dds2 ost nor integral because atlus (actually good version courtesy of poptartsninja!)

So, Omoikane's back and VERY different now. Rather than shoot to kill, it's more of a minigame of sorts.

OUR TREASURE IS HEAVY, BUT WE ARE SWIFT AS WIND.
ONLY MAGIC WILL WORK. BUT, ONLY WE KNOW WHICH MAGIC WILL WORK.
HOW LUCKY DO YOU FEEL?
LET'S FIND OUT, SHALL WE?

...well poo poo i cant win now :(

So, think of Omoikanes as a sort of pseudo-match game. Each one of the five has a different weakness, and they appear in a randomly selected pattern. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing what the chosen pattern is beyond flinging spells and hoping it sticks.

There's 5 patterns, so that makes it easy to remember. Or you could just write them down (these are left-to-right ordered for convenience);

1: Force → Earth → Electricity → Ice → Fire
2: Ice → Electricity → Fire → Force → Earth
3: Electricity → Fire → Ice → Earth → Force
4: Fire → Force → Earth → Electricity → Ice
5: Earth → Ice → Force → Fire → Electricity

You only get the one shot at this, though. Come Omoikanes' first turn, they just run. Ah well.

And, no, relying on something like Berserk or MT attacks doesn't work. You actively cannot be Berserked in an Omoikane fight, since it's a special scripted encounter which overrides Berserk and forces you to be fully tuned by default.

MT attacks just make them run away.

Now, where were we? Ah, right. By the way further in to the north of the room, there's a small detour around here. It lets you snag a couple extra Revival Beads.

Further in, we come to a split with no indication as to which way is the right way and which is not.

The right path just leads to the Phantom Ring though, so we'll grab this even if it is so worthless I will never use it.

A slight Agility boost when in Human form. It's so not worth using it is astounding.

We still want to pick it up, though.

Back on the left, we immediately come to another crossroads. Unsurprisingly, north is progress here but this chest contains...

Eh. It adds +2 Vit to a Ring. Not explicitly bad or anything, but its not all that great either.

Follow the path around to the end of the room again. That little alcove to the left of the door just had 3 Dis-Stuns in it. Nothing too exciting.

Unsurprisingly, though, there's something else hidden off to the right here.

More flowers are never bad to have. This gives us another 22 shop points right off the bat.

Continuing onwards now, and we're in more of an actual important area. We pretty obviously came in through the back entrance via a warehouse so it makes sense.

Battle for Survival

And, of course, new area means new enemies. We've also got a couple new combos that weren't in DDS1. Sol Blaster is pretty nice since it hits everything and has a high crit chance... that sounds familiar somehow. Probably imagining it.

Crystal Dust is basically DDS1 Cocytus but it hits everything, rather than being random.

I, uh, I don't use either of them though. As nice as they are on paper, they both require all 3 press turns to use. That's part of why I don't bother.

This guy nulling Ice is the other part. It's not really much of an issue, though; can just blast him with Fire or have Cielo put him to sleep whenever.

Nekomata is basically identical to before. Kind of disappointing, but she's been in the third dungeon both times so whatever.

Thoth, meanwhile, got hit with the nerfbat pretty hard. Lost access to Rage, doesn't resist physicals anymore, can't use a Ma-Dyne, his immunity to Panic got replaced with a weakness and is still weak to Death.

Which, uh, I don't have yet. So, instead, he gets stabbed and he dies.

Alright, so now we get to a small branch in the path. The right leads to another branch so that's probably progress. North brings us to...

Our first Field Hunt.

Internment Facility Field Hunt

Sicily

So, field hunts are a bit different now. Rather than run a course with a mitama at the end we have to get to before time runs out...

We run a course that loops over and over and over again until time runs out. There is no way to finish before then, and the goal is to hunt as many purple orbs as possible in that time.

39 is pretty decent, albeit just short of what I wanted, but it'll do. There's no super-secret reward for getting a ton or anything.

Once time runs out, that's when we get into an actual fight.

Battle for Survival

And, yes, it's against Mitamas. This is where the hunt part before comes into play. The more orbs you get, the longer they stick around.

Things are mostly unchanged at this point, but Aras feel less tanky than they were before. That could just be me imagining it, but they definitely have MUCH less HP than they did originally.

Anyway 39 and sub-3 Mitama nets an A rank. Unsurprisingly, there is an S rank and... absolutely nothing on the internet lists the requirements for them at all as far as I can tell.

...To get an S rank, you need at least 42 kills. This does include the Mitamas, so the absolute minimum orbs you can get away with is 38 (if you can wipe all 4 Mitama). 42 orbs is actually damned hard to get though. 40 is easy enough to be consistent, and at this stage 2 Mitama drop pretty fast too. There are no extra rewards for an S rank though, so don't worry too much about it.

Redoing Field Hunts is the same as before; 5 full solar cycles in the dungeon, no random encounters in the Field Hunt area to make it easy etc. etc.

That detour dealt with, we can continue onwards and immediately take another detour. This time it's to the south.

I see two items and something on the map right next to us. I think this one was far more lucrative than expected.

You don't actually have to know this machine is here. You can ignore this room wholesale and continue on just fine.

The gold container is a fight. About time we got our first monster-in-a-box encounter.

...Oh. It's just 2 Orobas. They get Bufu'd and they die.

Regular box is just a single Medical Kit. Whatever.

Back on the main path, we come to a door that couldn't really be that much more blatantly important if it tried.

Sadly we can't quite get in just yet, so we'll need to remember this is here for later.

And there's another one of these machines. This time covered in... something.

I don't like de vibes I'm getting from dis machine, bro.

Yeahhhhhh, let's try and ignore this one for now. That large karma terminal seems much more inviting and there's progress to the north too.

From here, we can go downstairs huh? I think this might just be the entrance to the actual prison area.

Epic Battle ~ Prelude

Jailer... this pretty much seals it, then. We'll just take this guy down and then bust everyone out.

Wait... You're those Asuras that escaped from purgatory!

(im apologising for nothing)

You won't get out here alive!

Epic Battle

Alright, so boss 3. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

Well, Kumbhanda gets the first turn which is a bit awkward but I'm not too worried. Black Bind is probably just a chance to stun or something.

Okay, so it's not stun. It's something new. And he gets three turns. And Black Bind hit everyone.

...yeah okay this wasn't actually a fight, it was just cutscene. Black Bind is scripted to hit everyone here.

And then, yeah, we're thrown in jail. Swell.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 31, 2015

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
This is, personally for me, the worst part of the game. I hope it doesn't take you too many tries.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Welp. Go straight to jail card. gently caress you yah drat jailer.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lunar Suite posted:

Were they referrign to the protagonists, or just the information the traitor gave to the Lokapala? Like that EM program Roland got.

In DDS2, data is everything.

Worklurker posted:

This is, personally for me, the worst part of the game. I hope it doesn't take you too many tries.

Surprisingly, I didn't have too much problem with the upcoming section. One guy I knew at the time just ragequit once he got here though. I think the combination of the challenge and the music just pushed him over the edge.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Has there ever been a "You've been captured and have to escape prison" sequence in a JRPG that wasn't terrible? Chrono Trigger's the only game that comes to mind for me that had a jailbreak sequence (two, actually, now that I think about it) that were kind of fun to play through.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Has there ever been a "You've been captured and have to escape prison" sequence in a JRPG that wasn't terrible? Chrono Trigger's the only game that comes to mind for me that had a jailbreak sequence (two, actually, now that I think about it) that were kind of fun to play through.
The one in Tales of Xillia is kind of fun because it's just Milla killing everyone and then the male half of the party showing up like 'Hey we're here to sa- oh. Oh.' The one in Tales of Hearts R was also okay, since it was pretty much just a normal, kind of short dungeon that ended with you getting a chance to beat up a scummy villain.

The one in Tales of Symphonia was terrible, though. Solo fights and annoying gamecube puzzles.

Really that's the problem with prison escape sequences. The idea is fun if you just let the party fight their way through a lot of guys, or just make it a fairly normal sequence gameplay wise, but what usually winds up happening is that the developers combine solo missions (because the party is going to be split into separate cells) with stealth sequences (because obviously you're in the enemy base, so if the heat goes down on you you're screwed) and neither of those things are very good gameplay elements. Especially the second one.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 10, 2015

Perlia
May 14, 2013
Gah, Kumbhanda and his pelvic thrusts... as if the next segment isn't already creepy and not fun.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I think the torrent of poop jokes somewhat makes up for what's going to happen soon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I suppose we'd encounter anti-Tuner measures eventually.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Mad Mart is serious business. As in, he is seriously one of the greatest RPG shopkeepers ever.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Prisoner's Nightmare

So, last time we got thrown in jail. Anyone got RPG Bingo yet?

But seriously, we should really just get out of here.

The Jailer is the real problem, obviously. As long as he's around, there's no way we can release the prisoners. But, we came up wth a plan. Listen...

Cannibalism doesn't appeal to many humans -- apparently not even demonized ones. So, they use this factory to process human carcasses into canned food. Which, of course, the Jailer eats.

Another one of us is finding out what can be done with the food. I'll open the door -- hurry! He should be in one of the cells to the east.

Tell him about the "unbearable solar noise," and he'll let you in. Did you understand all that?
Yes.
I need to hide before someone finds me. Good luck!

Hyeh heh... But that doesn't matter. It's been a long time since I've felt the thrill of the hunt!

Alright, so now we get a kind-of chase thing that's not-very-secretly easy. Kumbhanda very slowly walks around in a rough direction towards where you are but he's not very good at it.

We just have to loop around the western side until we get to the southern-most door on the east wall. It's all very simple.

Unbearable solar noise.

Try not to think about it. ...It's disgusting. Another one of us is looking for ingredients and things... You should go help him out.

He'll ask you what's for dinner. Answer back, "canned surprise." Do you need to hear that again?
No.
It wasn't easy getting the guard's key card... but I did it. You can use it to get downstairs.

It's up to you now. Hurry! Before they see you!

Heh... fast food!

Nothing new here; just run around until we get to the gate at the south.

Very simple and you automatically go down a floor once you unlock the gate too. How convenient.

...But, sadly, Kumbhanda decides to follow us. By merely jumping down from the higher level.

Haha, Run! Run! If I catch you, I'm gonna eat you! Breeha ha ha ha ha ha!

Getting to the next guy is easy enough. It's right next to the entrance, which helps if you make a beeline for it straight away...

I, uh, I kinda forgot that though. This is the closest Kumbhanda came to catching us again since he still moves when in dialogue boxes.

We figured out exactly what we need to feed the Jailer...

Just throw it into the meat processing machine on the first floor. After that, go to the control room and turn on the power... Voila! Canned Surprise a la Lokapala! Do you need me to sum that up again?
No.
Here's a key card, and the label for fifteen-year-olds. You need to put the label on the can. The key card should be able to get you where you need to go.

...It'll be pretty gruesome, but we need to hurry.

Well, this looks a little different.

Time to rope you in!

We'll worry about those purple things when they matter. For now, the only thing to really keep in mind is Kumbhanda camps out at the door to the next floor and doesn't move at all until you get fairly close.

...And forgetting that fact, and spinning the camera round to see him immediately bumrushing you us more than a trifle surprising.

It's still not a big problem, though, since we do need to lure him away anyway and even when running he's not as fast as you'd think.

Third floor adds a couple of extra chainlink fence gates that make navigation kind of a pain. There WAS some on the second floor but they made no difference.

Dammit... I can't go against my orders...

Kumbhanda does go back to normally chasing you around here, but the door we want is very straight forward and easy to get to. It's mostly just a straight line.

Hey, look there... Isn't that another key card? That corpse used to be a soldier... They didn't just use prisoners. Society members who went insane ended up in cells, too. Looks like the Karma Society can't handle people who fully give in to the demon virus. There's no point in sticking around. We need to find the control room.

At least there's a fence right in the way...

No more playing around, chums... You're making me very hungry!

Like before, he just camps out at the stairs leading further down. There's only one route you can take to get down here, and he starts to run once you get past this corner here.

This is definitely the hardest part, since you have to lure him all the way to the norther corner here and make sure that you have a big enough lead that he can't catch you as you actively wait... but not too big otherwise he'll try and cut you off and ruin everything.

This is also the only time those purple circles really matter too. If you touch one, or even get near one, they suck you in and hold you in place for an uncomfortably long time. It's not actually THAT long but when Kumbhanda could be right behind it feels like an eternity.

It's still not too difficult or anything, but if you were to have trouble here that wouldn't be too surprising. The best route to take is a mite stricter than it sounds.

Good news, though, is that once we hit B4 Kumbhanda stops following us. Because, uh... he just does.

Battle for Survival

Even now, we can still run into a random new demon. Cockatrices have gotten a decent amount stronger since working for Harley. Losing that Ice weakness alone increases their survivability. Technically. Still gets onerounded though.

Prisoner's Nightmare

Just to the left of the entrance, we can find a sneakily hidden Amaryllis flower.

The normal box you might've spotted in the corner before? Just contains another Blue Diamond.

As a nice bonus, there's a second large terminal near the Amaryllis. Makes for a good way to make the return trip upstairs and back again, without having to run through the previous 3 floors repeatedly.

This is disgusting... It's in terrible condition. ...Is something there?

This'll let us into the control room. It's time for the Jailer to get what's coming to him.

That he will, but before we leave...

We can pick up another new ring. This one's got a bit of a special twist to what it does;

The stats aren't why we'd care about this one. Getting a free Sukukaja is mostly it; the Tarunda offset matters for people like Serph or Roland. Nowhere near for someone like, say, Argilla. Plus with 4 customise slots you have to try to make this thing less worthwhile.

...For now it sits in our inventory though.

Also when we leave that room, these three guys try to jump us.

After we play with them, why don't we throw 'em in the processing machine? Then we can have our way with them twice!
Oooh, I can't wait to hear that grinding noise again...
Heh... Exactly what I was thinking...

Heroic Battle

....Well then. It's almost cute how they think this can even pretend to be threatening to us. They barely last 25 seconds and don't even get a turn.

Prisoner's Nightmare

All we have to do now is take the terminal back up and unlock that room with all the bars.

It's surprisingly empty compared to what you might expect, though. Those bars were the sole guards of the ON/OFF switch.

There is also a free Revival Gem to the left of the door when you come in, but you actively cannot see it at all when just coming in/going out normally. Makes it easy to miss if you don't think to look everywhere for Free poo poo.

And with the machine turned on, we can load up the dead, rotting Blob and turn it into processed food.

Looks like it's on de way to de factory. We'd better go follow it, ja?

So we'll do just that, and along the way we constantly get stopped to watch it slowly move along the conveyer belt.

It just gets spat out, complete with can, at the clean machine we saw before. The one in the room with the 2 Orobas' hiding in a box.

Now that we have this, we run back to the nearest terminal and warp back downstairs.

That's our chance -- when he's vulnerable.

Okay, let's get out of here...

Kumbhanda quite slowly lumbers through this room, now. It really should be faster, but whatever.

Silence

His way out is even slower, but at least this time it makes sense. And, of course, he doesn't quite get all the way...

Epic Battle ~ Prelude

Oh ho! Looks like you should look before you eat, ja?

Your comrades will be eating you soon.

Silly Argilla, no they won't.

We will be, though.

Boss: Yaksa Kumbhanda

Epic Battle

So, Kumbhanda is definitely harder than the previous two bosses.

Setting the bar pretty drat low, I realise.

On the one hand, he has an elec weakness which is super easy to exploit. And the game DID just give us both Cielo and Roland who have Zio right off the bat.

On the other hand, even though he has a meagre 1035HP we can't blitz him the same way we did Hecatoncheires.

If we try, then we'll be on the receiving end of some nasty attacks and spells.

He quite likes to spam Zanma or Mazanma at times. But of course, the biggest threat is...

Black Bind, still. It's nowhere near as threatening as it was before at least.

It's significantly less likely to ever succeed on someone. If it does hit, then they're Bound of course.

And that just makes them skip their turn, be more likely to get criticalled etc.

Basically it functions like Sleep but Almighty elemental and without a nice new bonus that Sleep has.

From about halfway onwards, Kumbhanda adds a new move to his repertoire. He mainly uses it on anyone that's been Bound but can do it on anyone else too.

It hits harder than his regular physical attack and has the added bonus of letting him drain the damage dealt. Like HP Thief but it can crit and it hurts more by default.

Also, he has a lot of dialogue in this fight. Far more than you'd think necessary.

He also has a couple skills he doesn't use too often. Stun Wave is more commonly used than that implies, but it doesn't come up all that often either.

a lot of dialogue

And then there's Power Wave. He really, really
really rarely uses this one. It's by far the hardest hitting thing he can do so it's weird that he almost never does it.

All-in-all, though, he's still not a hard fight in the slightest. It might trip you up for being harder than the previous bosses but, again, that's not saying much.

He doesn't even have much more health than Hecatoncheires. Kinda weird but I'm not complaining at all there.

Gives some drat nice cash though, especially with the Rich Ring.

Silence

With Kumbhanda slain, everyone apparently gets broken out immediately and the Lokapala are quite literally jumping for joy here.

Then we can grab the Cyber-- ...we can save Sera.

Sounds like a plan to me. But first...

Gale's a little more interested in what Fred's doing off to the side.

Inherent Will

Tell him to become a man... of honor...

I gotta grow up! So I can be strong --!

Fred.

Be proud of your feelings, Fred. It's ok to be a kid.

End

So, that's done. We know our next location too, and Gale just straight up lied to a kid.

But apparently Sera did something to the Sun to make it petrify people???

...what no don't be silly random child

Ah well, at least now we have the world map and a bunch of places to explore. We could go back to the Lokapala base or we could do the smarter thing. Run around Karma City for a while and see what they have for us.

Also something about rescuing Sera in the Administrative District, I guess.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Cielo's Dis-Ache joke caught me off guard when I got to that part, I actually laughed at it

Oh Cielo, you are the best :swoon:

Perlia
May 14, 2013

Gamma Nerd posted:

Cielo's Dis-Ache joke caught me off guard when I got to that part, I actually laughed at it

Oh Cielo, you are the best :swoon:

Actually, Gale makes the comment about Dis-Ache, which is arguably even funnier.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Gale and Cielo are pretty much going back and forth dropping one liners and clownin' fools in this game, they are amazing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Gale may have lied to Fred, but I think he had his best interests in mind, i.e. he wants Fred to actually grow up as a child, not a child trying to be an adult.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Green Intern posted:

Gale may have lied to Fred, but I think he had his best interests in mind, i.e. he wants Fred to actually grow up as a child, not a child trying to be an adult.

Well, I think that much is obvious, but the fact that he's even capable of taking that sort of thing into account is pretty shocking on its own. Coming from Mr. "I do not comprehend".

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Clarste posted:

Well, I think that much obvious, but the fact that he's even capable of taking that sort of thing into account is pretty shocking on its own. Coming from Mr. "I do not comprehend".

I think being born anew did a remarkable job of broadening Gale's horizons.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Some of the wrong jail cells have funny dialogue. I remember one being "If you devour me, I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!"

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
:doh: I didn't look carefully.

Speedball posted:

Some of the wrong jail cells have funny dialogue. I remember one being "If you devour me, I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!"

Yeah, there's a flamboyantly gay dude who hits on Serph in one of the cells on the first floor. It's so incongruous that it's hilarious.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Green Intern posted:

That was seriously a 'daaaaw' moment from Gale, truth be told.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Clarste posted:

Well, I think that much is obvious, but the fact that he's even capable of taking that sort of thing into account is pretty shocking on its own. Coming from Mr. "I do not comprehend".

Well, Gale's got green eyes now. That means he comprehends a whole bunch of poo poo.

I wonder if he's actually riffing on robo-Gale with the whole Dis-Ache thing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Before we go look around Karma City, or what parts of it we can, one of the secret mantras has been unlocked now that Cielo mastered Fierce Spirit.

See, for the ones that teach new skills/passives, you don't need one person to surround it; just have every mantra that's adjacent mastered by someone. An unusual distinction, but one all the same.

And Esoteric 1 is very much worth not changing Cielo from Fierce Spirit when he joins. Mutual Karma is identical to its DDS1 incarnation (full Karma when benched) and is amazingly cheap to boot. Reminder: the exact same thing cost 75,000 before. So, uh, yeah, it's gotten quite the price cut! Grabbing this immediately.

...Alternatively, it costs the same amount but 25 macca is actually worth $1 so it seems nicer than it is. But that's silly. Don't be silly.

For obvious reasons, there aren't exactly any stores or the like in the Karma City we can put to good use so we have to head to the Lokapala base for a moment.

I can't give you any breaks, though; I still have a business to run.

We also actually have to straight up come here if we want to shop period; after beating Kumbhanda, Johnny leaves the Internment Facility. Speaking of which, that Blood Ruby he dropped is... okay, I guess. The Amaryllis we just found lying around is way better though.

Between selling the Narcissus now and a whole bunch of other miscellaneous crap we got a rank up!

...Unfortunately, next one requires another 49,800 macca to change hands to get to. Might take a while.

The new ring helps alleviate it a little though. Buying this immediately even though I'm just straight up never going to use it.

Spyglass is same as before (infinite, free Analyze) and has the same caveats too. Still worth buying though, because it's an easy 50 points to a new rank and all.

We can also buy Brave Rations, Chakra Drops and Muscle Drinks now too. Chakra Drops are actually worth buying because, again, each one is worth an easy 30 points to the next rank. Plus, uh, still don't really have any other easy MP restoring methods yet.

Might as well also talk to Fred's two friends while we're here.

Thanks... I'd rather know the truth than wondering about it forever. We couldn't hold out hope forever...

I borrowed his shoes awhile ago and I need to give them back...
Timmy is...gone.
He's...dead? Was he in pain...?
He was killed before being eaten.
Then, at least it wasn't painful. Thanks, this is my appreciation...

um holy poo poo where did a kid get this

I'll talk... to you later...

hello itemised mediarahan immediately after the third dungeon nice to meet you

Anyway! Before we go rescue Sera, we'll take a quick look around the two other parts of Karma City we can get to.

Urban Area

This is where the Corporate Office is located, as well as the shopping mall, and things like that.

...Hang on a minute, over by Cielo is that...

It is! That's kinda weird. What even is your deal, cat?!

Oh wait. Roland knows all about the Junkyard simulation thing. Maybe he knows.

You were given basic knowledge, so it wouldn't be difficult to function in reality... But why would they put something so unnecessary inside the actual simulation?

There's nothing else left outside except some dudes with nothing interesting to say. There's also only one building here we can go into. So, uh, we'll do that.

It's where Argilla and Gale are hanging out, so there's that I guess?

We'd be better off if they died... Resources are limited enough as it is.

Also, this guy is a giant goddamn dick jeez. All the more reason to just ignore most of them, I guess.

The soldier's alright though. Dude has a good eye for style.

...And there is absolutely nothing else here whatsoever.

So we'll leave and head on over to the park, I suppose.

The park is actually, uh, even smaller. There's also nothing here but people to talk to...

Carbon dioxide is starting to build up, since there isn't any greenery to convert it. Pretty soon, we won't be able to live outside anymore.

Humanity has overcome so many obstacles throughout history, we can't let the sun beat us.

This isn't the paradise I wanted to see with Jinana!

They are irredeemable.

We can sunbathe, take walks through the woods... This is definitely the ultimate paradise.

And... that's it. That's all there is to do here.

Everyone else has nothing interesting to say in any way. Bleh.

So the Administrative District it is. Sera's apparently being held here and... that is a bloody weird tower.

Before we go in, we might as well talk to everyone again.

The information we were given seems to be correct, but... I'm not sure that's a good thing.

We shouldn't assume that he died in the explosion. ...We can't.

That's all the Embryon (+Roland) done, but what about those obvious Karma Society goons standing around?

I wonder if she's really...a hermaphrodite...

She was a scientist who worked for the United Nations. She lobbied strongly for environmental protection.

No way the prisoners could escape on their own... I hope it's not a rebellion, or anything like that.

I guess he won't have a name for a few more days...

So, here's a choice that kind of matters but not really. We actually get a small reward for this based on which choice we pick. But, regardless, there's only one choice here.

Serph's a good name.

I really appreciate it. Here, take this!

Randomness aside, the Pink Sapphire is probably the best we could get from this anyway. The other names give us a +3 gem for that person's main stat. Heat nets us the Tiger's Eye (+3 Str) which would be nice I guess but eh Tiger's Eyes are super plentiful. Gale leads to the Pink Crystal (+3 Mag) which doesn't really fit the trend but Gale's hella balanced and Strength is already covered by Heat so it's the closest fit. Cielo gives us a Blood Ruby and we already have a Blood Ruby.

...More importantly, there's two things about the Pink Sapphire that make it better to grab than the other two. Aside from it being a point higher to any stat, because its a +4 gem there is a (slight) chance of it giving +5 instead. This is also the only Pink Sapphire available outside of random drops from a whole two later enemies.

Alright, that's enough of that. Let's head on in to the tower and finally rescue Sera!

Tower of Reunion

So, the Karma Society Tower... this is a long area. A very long one. Might wanna get comfy.

Thnking back to the Jailer's reaction, it seems that the head of the Karma Society wishes to speak with us. Either way, we must continue. Be careful, Serph.

For the moment, we don't actually have any random encounters to deal with and I'm getting all sorts of deja vu from this.

The elevator only takes up to the sixth floor. It's a start, I guess.

Just going to follow the path around the one way it goes for the time being. There's a Large Terminal nice and early which is bound to be convenient sometime later I am sure.

Aside from that, the sixth floor has nothing on it but an elevator leading to the tenth.

how do people work here this things structure is loving arcane

And now we get to run around the tower proper. Right away we come to a crossroads. North seems like progress, so we'll take the door to the south.

I think we made the right decision here. There's nothing in this room worth a drat save for that chest though, so we'll grab that and move on.

A couple of Shock Bombs isn't all that impressive but that's attack items in general. I might remember to use these and not just pawn them for extra cash later but no promises.

The Asuras just passed my position, right on schedule. I'll continue observation... What? Capture them? But, my orders were to... Ah, I see. Understood. Bravo 2, over and out.

oh my i wonder where this is going

a mere room later...

Epic Battle ~ Prelude

Hmph... They don't look so tough.
They're just the dregs of a failed experiment...
Heh, that's true.

Hurry up, you freaks. You've got valuable programs in your brains, right?

Pfft. There's only one real choice here, let's be honest.

Heroic Battle

And picking it drops us straight into the fight. In a nice twist, in this case WE are the ones doing the ambushing!

If we picked the other option, it would still be a human v human ambush but with us on the receiving end. Don't ask how you can be ambushed by someone attacking you after threatening and mocking you for a little while but apparently you can.

But since in either event they don't start tuned or use their first turn to do it, they're kinda worthless and get their asses kicked in two rounds tops. Whatever.

Battle for Survival

More importantly, random encounters are a thing from this point onward.

Enemies here mainly consist of one particular type which is unusual. Since that means there's some degree of consistency to them rather than "just throw this demon here and call it a day." Which is a good thing.

Anyway, Powers. Don't live up to their name. Get killed by Death spells and Zan ruins them. Vile Blade sort of maybe hurts... if they get to use it. Which they don't.

Principality makes it pretty obvious that the first group is "angels." Like Power, she's not really a major threat despite having (Ma)Zionga and Hamaon. The fire weakness kinda puts a damper on that and all.

Ares is part of the miscellaneous dudes we can fight here. Cielo DOES start with Dream Haze which is nice for exploiting that weakness. It does leave the "damage" part left to do though.

Spamming Bufu/Zio until they get frozen/shocked also works so you could just do that.

Ares are nice to fight because they drop Narcissus flowers sometimes.

Tower of Reunion

Anyway! The room we were in had a chest hiding with 3 Dis-Mutes in it. It also had two doors with the top one (closest to where we came in) leading to a tiny room with nothing it. We can at least see a golden container but there's no way to reach it from here.

The other door leads onwards then and brings us to this corridor overlooking a giant drop. Judging from the map, going to the right is progress and the door to the left looks like it should lead to that golden container we saw earlier.

And wouldn't you know it, it does. A Daisy seems like an obvious flower to have but not one that should sell for anywhere near as much as it is going to.

Back on the main path we come to our first small terminal of the area and can carry onwards from here.

Another big room, but this time there's only the one one way out. Can see a chest further on in past that glass divider...

But there's also a pair of Dark Veils just lying around here. A small thing is that instant death items are not actually great to use. The Murder Rock in DDS1 was okay because it was Mamudoon and could be used infinitely. But it was still only worth using on things weak to it.

...Mamudo items are not worth using even on things weak to it, since they don't care about your stats. They will very rarely work even on weaknesses.

Moving on, we come to the other part of the balcony and tere's only one way to go from here.

Since this is the only time in the entire dungeon I get to go Rakshasa Mode Berserk, I figure we might as well briefly explain how it can happen outside of "random chance."

I mean it is random, don't get me wrong, but it's not just a complete crapshoot. It can only happen in either 7/8 Solar Noise or higher, So it's only a complete crapshoot in just 7/8 or Max. 7/8 has a decent-but-not-great chance of it happening whereas its significantly higher at Max. There is a way we can make it more consistent but that's not for a long, long, long time.

Next room immediately opens with a turn that lets us get to that box we saw a very short time ago.

It's not quite as worth it, to be honest. Just a regular ruby so it's straight up outclassed by something we already have and won't use.

Well, no matter. Since this place is so goddamn large it's nice to get a Life Terminal around now...

> Serph ws shot in the side!

Roger, leave these rear end-hats to me.

Heroic Battle

See this Divine Ring? It was made from the Cell Data you gathered in the Junkyard. You devoured Metatron and exchanged his Cell at the Temple, huh?

"Invincible to Hama" sounds really clunky and weird. And it's also technically wrong. Sure, he can't be hurt with it here but he's not immune to it.

Anyway, two Eligors are not really a big threat. Sure they use Vile Blade a lot but that's not really as threatening as it seems.

please ignore that roland and argilla are almost dead

Hey, so, how does that Divine Ring help with your Elec weakness? Oh, it doesn't? Well then.

...No challenge left here then. Moving on!

Kicking these guys asses lets Serph master Demon Beast so not only does he now have Atma Bonus and Iron Stomach he got another new skill. Rend Asunder is the mid-tier single target Hunt skill. Despite being the same tier, it's not as good as Insatiable was in DDS1 mostly because it's ST and not MT. It does fit in the gap that was inexplicably there between Devour and Consume before though.

It's also hella cheap costing about 1% more than Devour which is kinda silly good.

Tower of Reunion

So, bonus ring #2 is now ours. Like Eligor said, the Divine Ring comes from beating the snot outta Metatron.

And it lets the wearer reflect Expel attacks instead of, y'know, nulling them. Needs something to be more useful than just going Human I guess?

Anyway, unlike the Hee-Ho Ring it's not actually that great for general use. It can just sit in the stock for now.

Speaking of ice, by the Life Terminal there's also a box with 2 Frost Bombs in it. Noticably less useful here than the Shock Bombs may be.

Also let's interrogate this man now that he's had the poo poo kicked out of him.

You may choose... Satisfy our minds, or satisfy our hunger.

Well, might as well go through all of 'em. Let's take this from the top.

The Cy-Cyber Shaman is... ...Yeargh!

oh goddammit

buncha bleedin' jerks now i gotta kill you guys too

Heroic Battle

seriously you're just two atavaka you couldve gotten off scot-free but noooo

you had to just pick a fight didnt you

couldnt even get rid of your weakness to being hit with rocks in-between games or anything

Tower of Reunion

Needless to say, the Atavakas do not get a turn and we just carry on from there.

I get a bad feeling about what's at the end of this corridor so we'll see what is in the room around the corner first.

Ah, it is a man and an item box. Said box just contains 2 Earth Walls.

...Hopefully this man will be willing to talk and not eat a bullet.

I-I'm just a government official who got left behind! I don't have anything to do with this! G-G-Go fight somewhere else!

Once again, we'll try taking this from the top.

Where is Sera?

That's all I know! I swear!
Why are you running?

I h-heard it's because the prisoners have r-risen to action... The soldiers moved to th-the upper floors... That's why the lower fl-floor were so empty... Okay?
Who were those soldiers?
Oh... th-them?

I th-think they're downstairs, b-but I have no idea why. They t-tend to do their own thing, so it's probably s-something like that.
That's enough from you.
Y-You're going to spare my life? Th-thanks...

oh my god this place just keeps on going

Battle for Survival

Now that we're on the eleventh floor, we can run into Eligors normally and abuse their Expel weakness this time too.

There's no reason to do so but we can.

Of course there's also Archangels chilling around now too. They're simultaenously less threatening than the others and moreso. Less threatening because their attacks aren't as good but more because they get to do more of them.

Which is to say a non-zero amount. Because getting (Ma)Mudo by now is not as easy as you would think. Or maybe I'm just inefficient with the Mantra grid. Maybe even both!

Tower of Reunion

So, the eleventh floor starts of with two breaks in the path and a third way dead ahead. We'll take these in order then.

...Hmm. The first one leads to a room with some Fire Bombs in it. There's also another door. Something about this just smells like forward progress. Come back here later then.

Doubling back and taking the other branch brings us to a small Karma Terminal. Nothing else in here though.

The door that originally looked like progress?

Sicily

Karma Society Tower Field Hunt

Like before it's another Field Hunt and getting an S rank is actually kinda tricky.

And by "tricky" I mean "gently caress if I know how." Getting 36 was still only an A and getting above that is bloody hard to do. I think it's at 40 but do not quote me on that.

other than to correct it i mean

The reason it's so hard to do is because it's three rooms long, and the second one is a fairly long corridor... which more often than not is completely empty. It's just there to shamelessly waste your time and it doesn't even hide it.

...running out of time right in front of an orb is the worst goddamn thing let me tell you what if i had a fraction of a second longer that 36 would be 38 but noooo

Mitamas this time around are Nigis. Same as before; more HP than Ara had, better defences, weak to Fire etc. etc.

Even when scared, Rend Asunder doesn't QUITE kill one from nearly full health. Maybe if I put more points into Strength...

End

Battle for Survival

Before making it back to carry on the main path, we run into Setanta who isn't that big of a problem. Being specifically weak to a whole 3 ailments is kinda putting a niche within a niche but whatever.

Also find it funny that he's resistant to Poison when Cu Chulainn, who is just the same dude but older and more experienced and awesome, was weak to it.

Oh and Setanta can cast Rage sometimes; mainly when left alone. Didn't see that on the skill list! He follows it up with a Taunt and Power Charge so make sure to kill him quick like when this happens!

Tower of Reunion

Following the main path again, and we get to a Medical Tool on the balcony-hallway. It's not as good as the gear but it heals 300 to everyone so we'll keep this in our back pocket til we forget its there and never use it.

The door right by the box lets us snag another ring.

The Demon Ring is bad and worthless. The damage boost sounds nice in theory but in practice it would only really help against bosses. And I feel the need to include a reminder that curse makes it so instant death attacks always hit... and you take the same amount of damage as you inflict.

So the Demon Ring basically exists solely to make you take more damage.

ugh

I need to wash the taste of terrible ideas out of my mouth, so let's head back around to the balcony and continue onwards running past the sordid remains of a terrible container.

And then come to yet another small terminal. It makes for a nice break spot I suppose.

Immediately afterwards, we come to a large room with a Large Terminal at the far end, which seems so counter-intuitive and I am not even going to bother, and an item box which we'll need to move around to get to. Fortunately, there is a door right next to that divider.

Back on the balcony-hallway and we can get to the door by what I would presume is that item box easily enough.

It's just another Yellow Crystal, which we could stick in the Magic Ring again.

But I uh kinda forgot to so that doesn't happen. Oh well.

...The only other door leads to what looks like a meeting room.

There's a box in the middle with a very nice Power Data inside.

wait hang on what where the gently caress am i meant to go

did i miss something

i guess i'll just use the large terminal and check on gamefaqs since this way i can teleport there easi-

.......oh i see

The "large terminal" door leads to a group of four men. If you pay attention you can figure out really easily this is not, in fact, a large terminal door. First off, yes, it was immediately after a small terminal.

Secondly, if you look in the top right corner at any terminal, vendor or the like, the location descriptor changes from your current location to the terminal/other thing. That does not happen here.

Points for trying but the games own mechanics spoil this. Go figure.

Heroic Battle

This may be for the best though, because if you just ran in completely unprepared and not expecting anything you would get thoroughly destroyed by these guys. This is, by far, the hardest fight in the dungeon. Doubly so if you bring Roland because they loooove to Taunt and spam Avalanche/Power Wave.

Titans are not nice things and we gotta fight through four of 'em. Since this is a scripted fight, Analyzing doesn't do poo poo so I'll tell you straight up they are immune to earth, resist physicals, and are only weak to Charm and Panic. Which are very not easy to have by now.

So it's actually a pretty slow-going and methodical(ish) fight that involves using Cielo as a healbitch while Serph and Argilla blast away with spells to freeze these guys and then trash them.

Also this is where you might learn that you can only stack buffs or debuffs 3 times here instead of the normal four. This is kind of an easy thing to forget since its kinda weird.

It also means each one is 33% of the stat which makes it less useful in practice. Sure only by 1% but that bugs me on a mechanical level since that means it is not
quite as effective as the four way split.

Of course it also means that its easier to fully stack them and I'm lazy and stupid and so prefer the convenience anyway. Sometimes I like to complain just to complain if you couldn't tell by now! :v:

also roland kinda doesnt have mutual karma yet but cielo does so switching once we're on the last titan so i dont forget

Tower of Reunion

It seems we walked right into their trap... An impressive effort on their part.

What happened? Did you get them? Answer me, Echo 5! ...Useless --

> The transmission was cut off.

Following on from there, we get to yet another staircase leading up and

jesus christ it just keeps going doesnt it

At least we can find Johnny at the top of this one.

"The woman is a shop, the man is the merchandise." Remember that. By the way, bring any rare plants you find... I'll pay good money for them.

My wife goes to the surface at night and plants them. You think they'll wither and die? It doesn't matter, all we gotta do is keep planting...

So anyway, that Daisy we picked up sells for a nice amount. $10,000 at base and it only goes up from there.

Holding onto this until later then. The Narcissus and Amaryllis can get sold though.

Though some careful wastes of almost All The Money, we finally hit a total of $80,000 and thus a new rank.

This lets us buy the Graven Shard which is identical to how it was before and ohgodthatsstillexpensive

There's also some new rings available which are our pure stat boosts only better. Gonna have to grab them too, but the Shard gets priority.

...Yes, we need to gain a total of 2300 points to reach the next rank.

Right next to Johnny is an elevator which lets us skip all the way up to the 20th floor at least.

seriously why does anyone work here

On the twentieth floor is a small terminal and a whole one door. Past that door...

Tribvhana

Silence

It brings us to a helipad which leads to two other tower branches. My legs are already aching just from considering this insane trek.

Epic Battle ~ Prelude

This is Heaven. Her name will not be said by anyone at any point ever.

Crazy mime man is Air. Same as before.

And Earth (same as above) sounds an awful lot like Varin Omega/Colonel Beck...

because they are both voiced by Bob Papenbrook and he doesn't even begin to try to sound different

Who are you?
*generic evil laugh*

Something about these guys just says "recurring quirky miniboss squad."

Tribvuhana is kind of sort of not really related to the whole three worlds for karmic reincarnation in Hinduism. The actual word for it is Trailokya and probably what they meant given the whole naming theme with these guys and all; Kamaloka begins on Earth and is the world of desires. Arupaloka is the world of formlessness and is made up of four Heavens. Rupaloka is the world of form and is free of base of base desires which I guess is close enough to Air but not really and oh gently caress it this analogue doesnt really work the more i think about it

Who are dey?
The Society's elite guard. They're known for their violent tendencies... and they look hungry.
Bingo.

You'll slide right down my throat.
We've been ordered to capture you.

"Him" who?

Think you can handle this?

Heaven is fast, but Serph is nimble as gently caress and cutscene-faster so he dodges at the last second.

And she is quite impressed. FIGHT TIME!

Boss: Tribvhana

Epic Battle

How generous of them to let us transform while they just stand there in their human forms.

At this point, Air and Heaven can flail weakly with their rods.

They can also throw the first tier attack items at us. This is technically the most dangerous thing they can do since, y'know, they can hit weaknesses.

Earth, however, just tries to shoot us instead.

In this stage of the fight we can take the chance to buff and/or debuff as necessary. It's a bit more than we really need but the chance is there all the same.

So I Taunt and they lose 2/3rds of their defence in one moment.

:ocelot:

After any of them loses a decent chunk of health they stop loving around.

Hmph, I didn't expect you to last this long.
Don't forget that he's watching us. We mustn't waste time.

Needless to say, they finally decide to stop being dumbasses and tune at this point.

Air transforms into the Yaksa Cu Sith.

No, not Cait Sith. That's a cat. This is a dog. Totally different.

Heaven gets the Yaksa Ganga and we want to finish her off first.

Earth gets the Yaksa Ubelluris and... pffffft this dude is a chump.

Since this is their entire turn, we can take advantage of that to blast the poo poo out of them and abuse their weaknesses. Ganga is weak to Earth and only has a meagre 700HP.

Cu Sith is weak to Fire and has a slightly better 850HP.

He also focuses entirely on support. Voiding the weaknesses of either himself or one of the others, sometimes casting healing spells, removing our buffs or their debuffs etc. Dude does not attack whatsoever.

Ganga on the other hand is fuckin' lethal and can cast all -Dynes. Yes, even the Ma-Dynes. With her alive, the fight is kind of maybe sort of tricky in the "need to heal constantly" sense and you might just straight up get a full party wipe from full HP.

...Without her, it's a jokey snoozefest.

Ubelluris just tries to punch dudes really hard.

That's it. That's all he does. It's not even remotely threatening.

Since Ganga has such low HP, she should drop really quickly all things considered. Especially once Taunt gets involved as by then she's one-roundable if everyone has even basic Tera.

Roland still actually kinda doesn't; was hoping to get that or Terazi for Argilla by now but just fell shy of the latter.

Cu Sith is a mite late with remembering to remove the debuff though. Without Ganga there, we can easily afford to take our time so it's not an issue.

Oh and Ubelluris is weak to Force and has 1,000HP.

That makes a total of 2,550 which is a decent step up from Kumbhanda but it doesn't feel like it's that much given how much stronger we are now and that it's split between the three.

Each member of the Tribvhana does have their own little quip if they aren't the last one standing.

They don't really matter since the order you beat them has no effect on reward or anything.

Oh, uh, I guess technically saving Cu Sith for last does matter a bit. He's not completely helpless, on account of that making the fight boring, but he'll only attack with -Dynes if left alone.

His AI is still stupidly exploitable of course so throwing out buffs/debuffs still forces his priority thataway.

And he drops very quickly too. Oh and in a move that is very reminiscent of something, we get no AP from this fight.

The Tiger's Eye is the drop for all 3. Technically you get the drop from whichever is last standing but since they all give up the same item it doesn't matter in practice.

Tribvhana

Fall back, now!

Air is a bit upset that we just trashed them, so Earth kinda sorta needs to drag him away.

Also they jump off the helipad. Twenty stories in the air.

...I guess Air will be fine since Cu Sith can sort of sometimes fly in these games.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 28, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard somewhere that Air might have been the human model for Bat. What do you think?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Upon replaying the game, I found the Tribvhana a bit weird, as if they originally had a bigger role that was stripped out, I'll go back to this later.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Petiso posted:

Upon replaying the game, I found the Tribvhana a bit weird, as if they originally had a bigger role that was stripped out, I'll go back to this later.

I had a feeling, but they also work nicely as a commentary on the typical Quirky Miniboss Squad.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I seem to remember that in this game full buffs/debuffs only give you double the difference instead of quadruple. So, 3x Tarukaja and Rakunda results in twice the physical damage. After all, Atlus is not known for deliberately making their games easier, and stat mods were incredibly broken before, so they wouldn't need to be made even stronger by reducing the number needed to reach the cap.

Also, it's strange how the Power is a lower level than the Principality, which is lower than the Archangel. Usually, it'd be the opposite.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Since we're seeing a lot of them fun note the Karma Society's symbol is in fact also the Maelstrom Atma mark Angel has.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard somewhere that Air might have been the human model for Bat. What do you think?

Nah, I'm pretty confident that's just straight up wrong but we'll get to why when it becomes a little more relevant.

Which shouldn't take too long since the update after next is as far as my recorded stuff goes (for now) and the next one is pretty short anyway. And coming up like right now.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Tower of Reunion

Dey better not be as persistent as Bat, ja?

I don't think Cielo likes the Tribvhana, you guys.

Anyway, let's just carry on with this place since there's still a surprisingly large amount to go.

...Just, uh, just not this way. This tower is kind of a dud.

So the other one on the heliport it is then.

Battle for Survival

Now that we're in a pretty new part of the dungeon, we do get a fair few new enemies to accomodate that fact. They kinda ruin the "mostly angels" thing that was going on before, though.

Like Dis. She's kinda boring here. Hit her with Bufu and Ice Boost and she crumples. Not Bufula. Bufu.

Also there are now regular Atavakas running around here too. They were more threatening when they worked for Varin.

If you get 2, they CAN combo to use Vanity but that's about it as far as threatening things go.

Tower of Reunion

In the actual tower we want, there's an elevator immediately to the left of the entrance so we'll skip past that for the moment.

The other path loops around to the other tower where we get our first new bullet for a while.

So, the elevator we just skipped past we'll immediately go back for right now and that takes us up yet another 11 floors.

I wasn't kidding when I said this place was gigantic, huh? Just be glad we get to skip so much of it.

Anyway! Immediately get to go north or south and there's a room straight south so why not?

It has a couple Medical Tools in it. Nothing else here either, so we'll add them to the pile I s'pose.

Battle with Rare Devil

FINALLY!

Hey, so it's everyone's favourite Jack Frost and he's a little different here.

I hee know! I'll give you a quiz, ho! Don't be a jerk, give it a try. Every correct hee (answer) earns a well-deserved ho (reward)! Are you down, hee ho?
Yes.

Obviously, right?

If you wanna try and guess the answers, go right ahead. They'll be in the spoiler tags after each shot.

Aurora

So, yeah, it's a quiz minigame that takes place in very rare random battles. Kinda like Ragtime Mouse in Final Fantasy IX or, uh.... that's the only other example that comes immediately to mind thinking about it.

Point is, Jack has lots (and I mean LOTS) of questions for us and we want to get everything single one right. Some test your knowledge of things you might not even be aware you knew. Fortunately, for ones like this Feinne's helped the thread out by explaining them before.

Soma

Some of them are just straight up obvious. "Strange Objects" being the golden ones, of course.

I'm not going to list every single reward, but I will show the questions because there's a finite number of them even if they are random. And take a while to get through. But, needless to say, the rewards are also random and sometimes very worth it.

7/8 Noise

Some questions are kind of badly worded, but at least its clear enough to understand what it means. Solar Noise after it changes at MAX...

We find items.

Some questions also have very, very obvious wrong answers. I'm not sure how you'd get this one wrong without it being intentional.

"It's the only way..."

A few questions are actually a mite cruel. It's not hard to figure it out in this case, but voice clips in combat are absurdly rare. You're more likely to hear them from the start of a fight when you're massively overlevelled for the area but even then? Not gonna happen often.

Angel.

...Also some of the questions are about cutscenes. That there is no guarantee you will have seen yet. Like this one. One of the answers is a mild spoiler, but a spoiler all the same.

Wait, hang on what? Jack stop reading ahead in the script. That's cheating, you cheater.

Solar Eclipse

I don't know if its just me, but I find it great that you can answer Fat Freak here. Just perfect.

Cuvier Syndrome

Have you been paying attention to the plot at all?

Okay now this one is just mean. It's such a minute detail that you probably noticed but never actively noticed. Some of the tribe colour ones are obvious and memorable (Heat's being on the back of his cloak or Serph's being across his chest for example). Cielo's is not one of them.

It's on his waist; you probably looked that one up or looked at an older screenshot or something. I know you people.

Mantra

basic game mechanics goooo

Attack with almighty damage.

Dressed up as Sera.

Wicked Curse

Chief Director

There's actually only one way to know the answer to this at this point and that's to talk to one particular NPC.

Fortunately, we did that.

Timmy

Guardians of the World Gods

Did you talk to the right NPC(s) at the right time(s)? No? Well, too bad. Blindly guess. Or use GameFAQs.

Defense drops

None of these are technically right. When stunned your accuracy is in the shitter and you are more likely to get criticaled. Like a lot more likely.

Same as its cost... hope you got it by now in this game or ever cared to look at it in DDS1 though.

Pabilsag

So that's the first 20 questions done. Now that we got 20 right in a row, something different happens.

...80 questions left, ho... Later ho.

If we got any wrong, Jack would've left then instead. And, yes, there are 100 questions in total. We do get something worth our time for getting all of them right.

We'll deal with the remaining 80 in one go when it's relevant. Much, much later.

Tower of Reunion

Now that we've finally seen Jack Frost for the first time, we can continue on to... a classroom...

Well, that's absurdly appropriate in all sorts of weird and silly ways.

Also, there's a box in the back corner with 3 Dis-Stuns in it. You might not be able to see it too clearly but it's visible back there. By the potted plant.

Another fork in the road now, and the left is more likely to be progress so we'll go to the east first.

This one gives us the dungeon's demons in a box fight. Hopefully this one will be more interesting and difficult than things we can already fight in he-

...oh. So, yeah, box battles aren't as worthwhile this time around. Go figure.

Back on the main path again, and we finally get our second real Large Terminal. Just in time, too, since it's been like 20 floors since the first one.

Yet another branch in the path, but the turns have been a little more consistently progress so the room in front of us is first.

Also the "Bad" in the corner? Nothing major; Roland's Muted but I cured it pretty much instantly anyway. Some ailments don't wear off at the end of a fight, and the game is oddly merciful in letting you know that.

The room itself just contains a golden container, but it's a Daisy so I can't complain about that.

Back on the main path again, and after a little bit of a linear trek we make it up to the 32nd floor...

Battle for Survival

And a new floor means new enemies. Rakshasas are super easy here. Hit 'em with a Boosted Tera and they crumple like paper.

Very much worth it though, since they can drop Amaryllis fairly frequently.

Also get Beriths who are very much the same as Eligor or Rakshasa but with their secondary weakness being Force.

Same method works here too.

Occasionally there's some Titans running around as well now. But since there aren't four of them at once, they're less of a threat.

Tower of Reunion

Back on the dungeon crawl, and the start of the floor has yet another elevator for us. At least this time they put the progress immediately there so we could skip all this I guess.

...But this floor does have more to it so let's go see what that is first.

Once again, we get a straight away with a turn. But the door dead ahead is a mite further afield so we'll take the door off to the side.

And get another Magic Data. These are nice and people that actually use them would enjoy it alright, but I'm just gonna leave it in the pile for the time being.

The door at the far end of the corridor leads to... a room with a Life Terminal in it... and another exit around the corner...

...This looks like progress. Like a lot. So what's up with that elevator at the start of the floor?

It takes us all the way to the 44th floor which also looks like progress.

But we're here now so we'll look around a bit. There's only one large room here, with what look like beds and a couple item boxes.

The one that was just off-screen had a pretty nice Soma Drop, huh? I might remember to use this some time I guess.

The one that you could see before had a single Brave Ration in it. Less interesting.

And there's stairs leading further up from the only other exit on the floor.

...I know this looked like progress, but it actually isn't! I know, it's amazing. It leads us to a fairly nice ring all things considered.

Starting with 1 Tarukaja at the cost of 1 Rakunda is an interesting trade-off and one I don't mind making. It's not as big a deal as the Trick Ring and this is one I'd actually use sometime.

Once I get better gems to stick in it I mean.

Back on the 32nd floor, we'll run past the Life Terminal and carry on that way. This brings us to yet another small branch in the path and we'll see what lies past that door we can see.

Well hello there, sweet, sweet treasure.

...Is what I'd like to say. The left is just a Str+2 gem which we'll probably just sell instead. The right is 3 Dis-Curses.

And the other corner leads us to a small karma terminal directly opposite the door onwards. We'll take a stop here for a moment...

And unlock our second Secret Mantra.

Much like the one before, as soon as every node around it is mastered (across everyone in the party), we unlock it. Unlike the Esoteric 1 this one is auto-mastered upon doing so. Since these boost our stats automatically. And this is party-wide and permanent.

...You'd think these would need to be unlocked on a per character basis, huh? Nope. Just get every Mantra and everyone gets the stats. How generous.

So, what's past that door?

Well, That Was Fast

Epic Battle ~ Prelude

Hey there, Earth. You sure bounced back quick.

You guys again?
You bastards!

You jumped off on your own!

Boss: Tribvhana (Round 2)

Epic Battle

So, we get our rematch with the Tribvhana quicker than you may have been expecting. At least this time they're taking us seriously and starting the fight in their Avatars.

...On the other hand, they haven't gotten much stronger than before. We however... uh, look at Serph's skill list...

Yeah. They gave us just enough of a delay that we needed to start getting mid-tier spells.

They really shouldn't have done that, huh? For reference, yes, they have gotten a little tougher... but Ganga's HP is now only 1,000. Welp!

Cu Sith's is about 1025 at the absolute most, and Ubelluris' is the much more respectable 1800.

Their general skillsets haven't even changed since the last time we fought them either.

Ganga still remains the biggest threat by far, what with the Dynes and Ma-Dynes and all of course.

...Ubelluris keeps on bein' Ubelluris.

They still have dialogue when you drop one of them, of course.

The main difference being that their dialogue here is at the start of their turn instead.

Ubelluris is also I guess a bit more of a threat since he remembers to use MT attacks sometimes.

But all that aside, there IS one major change to the fight this time around. And it makes both Ganga and Cu Sith being hilariously easy to kill all the more depressing, really.

You're nothing but a program!
Don't underestimate humans!

Yeah, so they have a combo attack this time around.

Just the one though, and it requires all 3 of them.

It does actually hit fairly hard, but not hard enough to really justify costing all of their turns... and it's Elec elemental so it will ruin Gale outright. Really the biggest issue with it is that it has a VERY high chance to Stun.

...But they can't do it without all 3, and since it's very easy to drop Ganga or Cu Sith before their second turn...

What's up with these guys!?
You'll pay for this!

At least this time they run away without jumping off the building. So there's that I guess.

Like before, they all drop the same thing yada yada yada. Scarlet Pearl is ehhhh. It's the +3 Luck gem. Whatever.

End

Tower of Reunion

The Asura AI's really are killing machines, if you can take down the Society's elite that easily.

It's almost like the "elite" aren't that great or something.

Anyway, we've still got a little way to go before we're done so let's just keep on going.

Huh, this one also takes us to the 44th floor. I guess we'll get to go past that barrier behind the Rage Ring then.

We also get a very blatant miniature infirmary and another small terminal.

And that's right before the medical room, no less. It really was a little way after all.

...The room looks familiar, alright. This is definitely where Sera was before. Well, let's step on in...

The Medical Room

Silence

Ahh... not dis again --

End

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Things have been pretty sane up until now, but we're pretty much out of that section now that Heat's shown up.

• Locked thread