Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I am quite surprised I cant find a prewired powerstrip with relays waiting to get connected to something. I have an electrician friend so I will get him to check everything before I see the blue smoke.

I have another small project. I need to analyse a network for its traffic. I suspect a laptop is being remoted into and used as a proxy for an elderly relative and need evidence. Could I run a pi with it connected via wireless to the network and run some linux network sniffer or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Oh hay, I just posted something in the hackspace thread.

I drew this retarded drawing:

That Powertail looks like exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for. There's no way I'm paying $25 + $20ish shipping to Canada, though.

Looks like I'll be starting out with these:
Ethernet module: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6435408352.html?orderId=65317302677569
Touchscreen LCD: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291147412234?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

And then a relay I have kicking around, and some outlets/cords from the hardware store.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

thegasman2000 posted:

I am quite surprised I cant find a prewired powerstrip with relays waiting to get connected to something. I have an electrician friend so I will get him to check everything before I see the blue smoke.

I have another small project. I need to analyse a network for its traffic. I suspect a laptop is being remoted into and used as a proxy for an elderly relative and need evidence. Could I run a pi with it connected via wireless to the network and run some linux network sniffer or something?

You can get the traffic with tcpdump and analyze it afterwards with wireshark or a similar thing, but I'm not sure if you are going to capture all the traffic from a wifi connection. I'm pretty sure you won't get anything going thru wired ethernet.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

The main sensors are water temp sensor, ph sensor, water lever sensor, light sensor and a flow sensor.

That powerswitch is it one relay for one device? I am looking for something to control at least 6! Heaters, pumps, lights as well as filters. I have seen plenty of tutorials for adding relays to individually switched powerstrips like this one http://www.instructables.com/id/Web-Controlled-8-Channel-Powerstrip/ but wondered if there was a commercially available one someplace.

I don't really like the idea of adding an arduino as it another level of complexity for me to get my head around but if its the only way...

That piece of poo poo is just waiting to burn down your house. You can control the UBNT MPower over ssh and it isn't arson-in-a-box.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

There's Wemo Belkin switches, which are controlled over Wi-Fi and have python bindings on pypi. https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ouimeaux

It's a bit pricey at $50, but considering it's wireless and means you don't need to worry about AC power hitting you or your Pi, that's not a bad compromise.

I once wired up a $10 wireless power switch (like you see in hardware stores particularly around Christmas) to an Arduino. I soldered a transistor between remote's button and the Arduino's pin, and had the Arduino switch the remote on whenever I wanted to toggle the device. It was pretty kludgy once I wanted to verify if the switch was turned on, though, as I then put a photoresistor over the outlet's LED to sense if the device switched. At that point, it was hardly wireless. With the wemo, you can check the state over WiFi, so that's easier.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

http://www.ubnt.com/mfi/mpower/

Not sure if you can talk to that over a Pi or whatever.

If you want to do stuff with relays then these will happily switch mains - http://cpc.farnell.com/finder/22-23-9-012-4000/relay-modular-1no-1nc-12vdc/dp/SW03919 but they need to be driven with 12v which you won't get from a Pi's GPIOs so you're adding complication. Also it's loving with 240v AC so usual caveats apply. I think you might be best off getting a managed PDU and getting your Pi / Arduino / whatever to talk SNMP to it.

Something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251779287043

Those Ubiquiti things are PDUs. They run Linux and can be controlled via SNMP or whatever you want.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Weird pretty sure I replied to this thread but whatever.

Is it proper dodgy wiring up a relay that's says 250v and 25a to mains then? I mean most of the stuff in the aquarium is 12v and no problem but the heaters are 240v and them and the circulation pump are the key to anything living!

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

No, it is done safely and professionally all the time. But backstabbed outlets wired with 18awg to a $10 Chinese relay board in a mdf box is just about as wrong as you can possibly do it. It just makes more sense at a hobbyist level for cost and packaging reasons to use a COTS solution like the mpower. The integrated energy monitoring is a nice addition as well. Depending on your setup, you might be best off switching the 12v stuff before their respective transformers, just plugging them into the pdu as well.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Seriously, if you haven't worked with mains power before get someone with a little more experience to check what you're doing. 240V can kill you. You also mentioned powering a lot of devices like pumps and heaters--have you looked at how many amps they'll draw and how many amps your relays can support? What about spikes in current when motors kick on? What about fuses, you do have those right? If it's a mechanical relay, what's the failure mode when it gets jammed in the on position--does the heater melt down and start a fire?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
My mate is a qualified electrician and he will double check everything before I flick the switch!

The relays are good for 25A which sinker than enough for all except the heaters. They are my worry. The heaters are only on the relays as a backup in itself as they are automatically designed to sustain a temp. That relay would be wired for always on and the relay runs of the heater jams on. This has happened to plenty of people and cooking coral and fish smells lush.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

thegasman2000 posted:

My mate is a qualified electrician and he will double check everything before I flick the switch!

The relays are good for 25A which sinker than enough for all except the heaters. They are my worry. The heaters are only on the relays as a backup in itself as they are automatically designed to sustain a temp. That relay would be wired for always on and the relay runs of the heater jams on. This has happened to plenty of people and cooking coral and fish smells lush.

25 AMPS!? Just echoing caution when testing these things, especially around water. Half an amp can kill you. Be safe!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

How big is your tank? 240v * 6amp = 6,000 watts, for perspective an 800 watt heater on amazon heats a 265 gallon tank. . . Are you sure these heaters draw 240V 25amps?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Sorry no the relays can handle 25A each. I have a paid of 100w heaters I think.

One thing I am wondering is if I could wire the gpio pins to a hdmi connecter and then use a standard cable say 2M to another connector. Would make it look tidier than a 2M ribbon. Hdmi has 19 pins so that's fine but could they take the 3.3V that's needed?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

thegasman2000 posted:

Sorry no the relays can handle 25A each. I have a paid of 100w heaters I think.

One thing I am wondering is if I could wire the gpio pins to a hdmi connecter and then use a standard cable say 2M to another connector. Would make it look tidier than a 2M ribbon. Hdmi has 19 pins so that's fine but could they take the 3.3V that's needed?

DIN, or D-Sub would probably be better choices. (Think serial, LPT or old fat round keyboard connectors)

Cheap, robust connectors, designed for serial data and similar voltages, easier for a regular human to solder reliably.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Cat5/6 cables are great too. Can get them for super cheap, and can crimp on connectors without too much trouble.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a way to talk to the Raspberry Pi over the USB power connection?

This was really handy for the BBB, I could toss it in my bag and get some work done on a road trip or whatever. Hook it up to the usb port and SSH in to the board via putty over a COM port. Magic.

I've sort of come up with a workaround where I use my phone as a hotspot with the same wifi credentials as my home wifi router and then run a powershell script to ping all the IP addresses in the /24 block but that's kludgy at best

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Unfortunately no, the USB port on the Pi is just for power. On the BBB the TI processor explicitly supports both a USB host (what you plug USB gadgets like mice and keyboards into) and a USB device (what you plug in to your computer to get a network, mass storage, etc. device from the BBB) port. The Pi only supports a USB host port.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You can't bring a short ethernet cable, too?

OnymousCoward
Feb 19, 2014
For the RasPi what you could do is get a USB-to-TTL cable. Would require you to have the GPIO pins on the Pi accessible but would let you power it and connect to it via serial in the sort of way you're describing.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Hadlock posted:

Is there a way to talk to the Raspberry Pi over the USB power connection?
AFAIK the power port only has the power pins connected, so no. It is possible, however, to power the Pi by backfeeding through the regular USB ports, so I suppose there might be a way to make that work. Note that the B & B+ models draw more than 500mA so it's possible (probably unlikely, but still) the laptop's USB ports might be damaged. More likely is the Pi acting wonky as it's starved for power. Or it might work just fine. v:shobon:v

You can also access the shell through the GPIO pins (haven't tried it but shouldn't be too difficult with the proper cable).

fake edit: shouldn't have left the reply window open so long

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ante posted:

You can't bring a short ethernet cable, too?

It's an A+ model with an edimax USB wifi nub, no RJ-45 jack

I do have some serial->BT adapters floating around, establishing an X session over 112 kilobaud serial would be a trip

Seems kind of silly I can't talk to it without an intermediary when it's plugged in to my laptop via a data cable.

I guess you could setup some kind of script where if after 2 minutes if it can't connect to a known AP it switches over to being an access point that you can connect to. That seems like an awful lot of work though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh I have a BT dongle; I can just SSH in over that instead of wifi; it looks like this is pretty straightforward.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Dohaeris posted:

I've made a rather nice little twitter kiosk out of my pi. It's plugged into a TV in a classroom and uses Twitterfall to display tweets on a list I've created of appropriate stuff. However, one downside, Twitterfall doesn't show pictures which would make the whole thing about a thousand times more visually interesting. I can't find an alternative to Twitterfall that allows me to do what it does while also displaying pictures. Do I need to write my own widget or is there a better alternative? Because I don't know how to do that and it's driving me nuts to see cool pictures scroll by but not being able to see what they are.

Did you ever get anywhere with this? Sounds cool

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I'm setting up a Pi with OctoPi to run my 3d printer. I'm using a Linksys wifi dongle and for some reason when I connect to the wifi it knocks out the network for everything else- all of a sudden everything else can't pull IPs anymore. As soon as I power down the Pi it works fine. The router is an Apple Time Capsule. Wtf?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The pi dies when you try connecting to the router, or the router dies and nothing can connect to the internet anymore?

If it's the first you may have too many devices attached to the pi on an unpowered hub.

If it's the second, what are the model numbers of the dongle and router

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Apple routers are notoriously bad and do strange things. I would get a cheap TP-Link router and throw OpenWRT on it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
It's the second.

The dongle is a Linksys wusb600n. The router is a 2013 Apple time capsule, 2tb (wireless n, not the tall skinny one).

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Apple routers are notoriously bad and do strange things. I would get a cheap TP-Link router and throw OpenWRT on it.
Isn't it the other way around? That Apple routers are solid and interoperable, but their other devices had some Wi-Fi jackassery (excessive polling?) going on some time in the past?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I dunno, but I've used a lot of small wifi boards and all of them usually have errata like they don't work with Apple routers.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I have mine running XBMC and networked to my desktop where my movie files are located. I haven't had any problems running any files, besides the fact that they take a little longer to load initially (I am assuming this is because it is networked).

I did run into an issue with a lot of pausing and intermittent picture quality issues during playback of a larger (44 GB) Blu-ray, HD Master Audio file. Is this simply because of the size of the file and the fact that its playback is through a network connection? Or could it be a Raspberry Pi/XBMC issue?

Is there such thing as faster HDMI cables (much like USB) that might be causing the issue?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

AzCoug posted:

I have mine running XBMC and networked to my desktop where my movie files are located. I haven't had any problems running any files, besides the fact that they take a little longer to load initially (I am assuming this is because it is networked).

I did run into an issue with a lot of pausing and intermittent picture quality issues during playback of a larger (44 GB) Blu-ray, HD Master Audio file. Is this simply because of the size of the file and the fact that its playback is through a network connection? Or could it be a Raspberry Pi/XBMC issue?

Is there such thing as faster HDMI cables (much like USB) that might be causing the issue?

If it's not hardwired, it could be limitations of wireless.

But at 44GB I'm assuming they're full bit-rate bluray rips, which I doubt the Pi can handle to begin with.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

37th Chamber posted:

But at 44GB I'm assuming they're full bit-rate bluray rips, which I doubt the Pi can handle to begin with.

It's hardwired, not Wifi.

Is there an update to Pi that would fix it? Or an alternative to Pi?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

37th Chamber posted:

Even on a 100Mb hardwired connection I'd suspect the connection would be the bigger issue.

I've done full blu-ray rips on my Pi which is overclocked (Moderate setting, I believe) and it works. I have it running from a USB 3.0 thumb drive, and although the Pi can't do 3.0 it definitely seems to help.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Isn't it the other way around? That Apple routers are solid and interoperable, but their other devices had some Wi-Fi jackassery (excessive polling?) going on some time in the past?

Apple routers are only "solid" with Apple devices, especially when you're working with embedded type devices.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Even on a 100Mb hardwired connection I'd suspect the connection would be the bigger issue.

I've done full blu-ray rips on my Pi which is overclocked (Moderate setting, I believe) and it works. I have it running from a USB 3.0 thumb drive, and although the Pi can't do 3.0 it definitely seems to help.

Huh, learn something every day, surprised the Pi, even with hardware decoding, has enough power to do that, thanks!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
To clarify "rips", were you decoding it to a file or for playback?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

37th Chamber posted:

Huh, learn something every day, surprised the Pi, even with hardware decoding, has enough power to do that, thanks!

GPU acceleration is a hell of a thing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

keyvin posted:

To clarify "rips", were you decoding it to a file or for playback?

Playback, sorry.

I double checked and I have it on the 900MHz overclock.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I think I saw a guide for a graphical boot.

Basically, I want to flip the device on and never once see any text or a single blinking cursor.
I want it to go from power off -> graphical splash -> load either the GUI or a fullscreen application.

Is this possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
You can do this with the base config application raspi-config

http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/raspi-config.md