Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Holy gently caress, I am never buying a VAG anything.

More for me :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Darchangel posted:

I bought a used 06 GLI thinking it can't be that bad, must be just a small number of bad experiences just being very vocal.

Up until I sold it I had to replace:

Camshaft
BOV
FR CV boot
Fuel pump
front brake pads/rotors
Too many sensors to name, pretty sure about all were replaced.
had to have the exhaust manifold un-fouled due to black gunk buildup
and the electronics were going out, drivers side door would sometimes not trigger interior lights and sometimes not even lock.

The stereo was ok at least.

From what I hear you should avoid buying any VAG cars the year they do a rework of the platforms, so getting an 06 was just bad decision making on my part.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My plan is just to make sure I have an extended warranty on any VAG product I own :)

That and trade up before the warranty is out :)

My mom just bought a 15 beetle convertible and the place she bought it from does a "forever warranty" for the first owner. Covers anything power train for the original owner.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Good.

veedubfreak posted:

My plan is just to make sure I have an extended warranty on any VAG product I own :)

My mom just bought a 15 beetle convertible and the place she bought it from does a "forever warranty" for the first owner. Covers anything power train for the original owner.

I know a guy with a late 00's 735i. He was cunning and got mechanical breakdown insurance, then went to the BMW dealer complaining about a ticking noise on cold mornings.

$10,000 of the insurance company's money later he has a completely mint 7 series!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
And we were seriously considering a new Golf for our next family car. Welp, back to Japan!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

veedubfreak posted:

Why waste a carmax warranty on a golf when you can get a range rover or an amg mercedes?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Darchangel posted:

Some men just don't like VAG. I'm okay with that.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If you have an 04-06 VW diesel, camshafts and lifters are a wear item.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My first car was a '99.5 Jetta VR6. I loved that little car; it never let me down, even when I drove it to Alaska and back.

All it asked of me in seven years was a couple of O2 sensors and a shifter linkage whose plastic ball-joints had split.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

If you have an 04-06 VW diesel, camshafts and lifters are a wear item.

Right around when the ALH was phased out in favor of the Common Rail, they had a rash of camshaft failures due to metallurgical quality issues, caused multiple camshafts to split in half. Easy to prevent, they made an updated camshaft, but still rather sad as their TDI has become one of their best products.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

Right around when the ALH was phased out in favor of the Common Rail, they had a rash of camshaft failures due to metallurgical quality issues, caused multiple camshafts to split in half. Easy to prevent, they made an updated camshaft, but still rather sad as their TDI has become one of their best products.

VW always touts in softball interviews that they are a market leader in diesels because diesel take rate on the Jetta is like 35%+.

Because I'm pretty sure the reason people buy the diesel is because your other options are the 115hp 8v 2.slow or the 2.5l I5 with less power than a base model Civic and worse fuel economy than a V6 Accord.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Throatwarbler posted:

VW always touts in softball interviews that they are a market leader in diesels because diesel take rate on the Jetta is like 35%+.

Because I'm pretty sure the reason people buy the diesel is because your other options are the 115hp 8v 2.slow or the 2.5l I5 with less power than a base model Civic and worse fuel economy than a V6 Accord.

Yeah, if anyone else made a diesel car that was worth it out here, I'd be all over it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

If they can sell the diesel I don't see why they can't also sell the (comparatively excellent) TSI petrol models. Even if they're more expensive than the current petrol models they should still be cheaper than the current diesel and are infinitely nicer to drive.

Then they just need to sort out that god-awful 7 speed DSG (if that's even possible)

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah, if anyone else made a diesel car that was worth it out here, I'd be all over it.

With modern petrol cars improving so quickly I don't think there is any place for diesel except in larger executive cars where there is still a real fuel economy advantage.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

If they can sell the diesel I don't see why they can't also sell the (comparatively excellent) TSI petrol models. Even if they're more expensive than the current petrol models they should still be cheaper than the current diesel and are infinitely nicer to drive.

Could be cost, is the 1.4T direct injected? GM uses the 1.4T in almost their entire small vehicle lineup and it's doing great. Chrysler's 1.4Ts are doing we....uh, the engine isn't the problem anyway.

VW's thing is apparently to undercut the competition in price significantly including Chrysler and Hyundai. Over in the BFC thread we talked about it early last year and the transaction prices for the 2.5l Passat were lower than the transaction prices for a Civic LX.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 13, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

With modern petrol cars improving so quickly I don't think there is any place for diesel except in larger executive cars where there is still a real fuel economy advantage.

Nah. Modern small common rail diesels have a huge fuel economy advantage even in small cars. They also have a far more useful torque curve for the sort of driving 90% of buyers do. The majority of new passenger cars sold in Europe are diesel, Americans are just weird about fuel -like with many other things- and mistakenly think this is the norm everywhere.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pretty sure diesel is actually slowly fading away in Europe as petrol engines improve

Anyway which would you choose?

Remember these are all turbos and all have a decent amount of mid range torque (and are all bought with autos anyway)

e. Urrghh more helpful if I don't cut off the top part

dissss fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 13, 2015

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
You want slow? Here's slow for you.

0-60 in 37.2 seconds for the stock 1.9 wasserboxer. :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejA1tBuCxJg

Mine was a 1.9 with the 3 speed non-lockup automatic. It was even slower than that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

Pretty sure diesel is actually slowly fading away in Europe as petrol engines improve

Anyway which would you choose?

Remember these are all turbos and all have a decent amount of mid range torque (and are all bought with autos anyway)

e. Urrghh more helpful if I don't cut off the top part

According to this that isn't true. Granted it's old now but I can't imagine things changing that much in the span of a year.

Diesel dominates the passenger car market in the EU;
in 2012, 55% of all newly registered cars were
powered by diesel engines. As ever, there is significant
variation among Member States. Belgium, France,
and Spain have diesel take-up rates of around 70%,
while in the Netherlands the rate is much lower,
29% (Fig. 4-1).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

In the UK in 2013 it was about 50-50 with petrol very slowly increasing in share.

Probably has a lot to do with how they're taxed (I think CO2 emissions is a big part), but there is also a real backlash against diesel because it's no longer considered as green as it used to be.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Vanagoon posted:

You want slow? Here's slow for you.

0-60 in 37.2 seconds for the stock 1.9 wasserboxer. :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejA1tBuCxJg

Mine was a 1.9 with the 3 speed non-lockup automatic. It was even slower than that.

Part of me secretly wants to just gut my SVX and put the EG33 engine in an Vanagon just to gently caress with people. I'd probably end up rolling it or something though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Part of me secretly wants to just gut my SVX and put the EG33 engine in an Vanagon just to gently caress with people. I'd probably end up rolling it or something though.

Turbo EJ25 'em both.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Turbo EJ25 'em both.

I'd sooner put a manual in the SVX so I could hear the flat 6 rev for more than 3 seconds before the auto hosed it up. But sadly it just has to go, there's no love between me and that car anymore.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slavvy posted:

According to this that isn't true. Granted it's old now but I can't imagine things changing that much in the span of a year.

Diesel dominates the passenger car market in the EU;
in 2012, 55% of all newly registered cars were