Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

surebet posted:

if it craters for realsies i think i'll pick up a blank casascius coin as a momento, after all these years it'd be hard to say goodbye

same

ideally one of the super cheap looking ones that looks like it was stamped out of aluminum with super sharp edges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
roger ver is the guy with the renounced citizenship trying to get in from st kitts?

edit: welp beaten

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

-someone started a bitcoin doubler that was totally legit and paid everybody out.
-until it stopped paying out when people started sending bigger deposits because their small "test" deposits worked

should also point out that it's very likely the price slide is being directly caused by this ponzi being cashed out

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

unpacked robinhood posted:

quote:
soumis an hour ago par devraps
I feel like an asshat.

Sucks to put 25k into BTC when it was 1100, should waited and bought now. Here's to holding forever.

[–]dimensione520 4 points an hour ago
Maybe you can put in another 25K... then your buy price will be the average of $1100 and $250 = $675...

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Boxturret posted:

same

ideally one of the super cheap looking ones that looks like it was stamped out of aluminum with super sharp edges

funny thing about that

remember when bitcoiners financed mine way back then?

this is what it looks like now

that's not dirt

the metal is oxidizing or something

edit: also the middle part where the code is hidden is starting to bulge out, on the metal side even

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 13, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

haveblue posted:

should also point out that it's very likely the price slide is being directly caused by this ponzi being cashed out

no, there's close to 150k in volume in the last few days.

This is someone cutting their losses. probably the winklevi considering their announcment that they spent millions on bitcoins came around the time bitcoin was at the top of the $266 bubble.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Greyhawk posted:

funny thing about that

that's not dirt

you're a stronger man than i, i would have opened it and eaten the chocolate inside by now.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Greyhawk posted:

funny thing about that

that's not dirt

dont let kids lick that poo poo

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Powershift posted:

you're a stronger man than i, i would have opened it and eaten the chocolate inside by now.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Holden: You're on an exchange, watching the graphs, when all of a sudden you look down...
Leon: What one?
Holden: What?
Leon: What exchange?
Holden: It doesn't make any difference what exchange, it's completely hypothetical.
Leon: But, how come I'd be there?
Holden: Maybe you're fed up. Maybe you want to be rich. Who knows? You look down and see the price falling, Leon. It's shooting toward zero...
Leon: Price falling? What's that?
Holden: [irritated by Leon's interruptions] You know what going to the moon is?
Leon: Of course!
Holden: Same thing, but upside down.
Leon: I've never seen the moon... But I understand what you mean.
Holden: You reach down and you remove the bitcoins from your order, Leon.
Leon: Do you make up these questions, Mr. Holden? Or do they write 'em down for you?
Holden: The bitcoin price continue to fall, weak hands are fleeing the market, hodlers posting about how bitcoin is a just discounted, trying to raise the price, but they can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.
Leon: [angry at the suggestion] What do you mean, I'm not helping?
Holden: I mean: you're not buying bitcoin! Why is that, Leon?
[Leon has become visibly shaken]
Holden: They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response... Shall we continue?
5 nexus 6

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

If there are even 1,000 people like me..... (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago * by VariiDecoda

Then the price of Bitcoin will climb over time. I started buying in Oct. 14, and I will be converting 2% of every check into BTC for the entire 2015 year as long as my portfolio does not fall below 50% in value (USD). I am convinced that this will not happen because I hold BTC as Gold and USD (Bitreserve). I keep the proportionality of the fund distributed as per the current sentiment.

Leading up to this formidable crash over the last 24 hours, I was only holding 30% as BTC. The result so far, since Oct., is that my fund is up 20% in total BTC, but -15% in total USD value. This is compared to almost -50% in the overall BTC market price. I plan on benefiting greatly when this ship turns around, and I can't help but to think...

Are there another 1000 just like me out there in the world, and what will that mean for the price in the future as we lap up all the goods.

With my current fund set up (between several family members) the price would have to fall to ~ $20/BTC for the fund to fall below 50% in value. In the same vein, my BTC holdings would rise > 650%. In some ways it feels like the only way to lose is to stop paying attention.

Mmmmm, I wonder how this bitreserve thing works for him to only lose 50% if the butts fall to $20.

quote:

Enjoy the benefits of bitcoin with the familiarity and stability of the money you know and trust.

Hold as Money, Spend as Bitcoin
Hold your bitcoin as stable money. Send it to anyone as bitcoin and spend it anywhere bitcoin is accepted from any of your money cards.

From Bitcoin to Bitmoney
Convert your bitcoin to bitmoney — U.S. dollars, euros, pounds, yen, and yuan — with no delays. We offer instant, low-cost currency conversions.

A Full and Transparent Reserve
Bitreserve's bitmoney is backed by a full reserve of real money. We publish a real-time, verifiable proof of solvency, so you always know your value is safe.

How We Make Money
We’re committed to driving costs down and dialing convenience up. At 0.45% commission BTC to USD conversions, we provide some of the best rates around. Because we act as the counterparty for all bitcoin to bitmoney commissions, we can keep our costs low.

So yeah, in order to prevent price fluctuations, you save your bitcoins as dollars, for which you pay a 0.45% commission. If only there was a more convenient way to save those dollars.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evilweasel posted:

it was roger ver who can't get back into the us after abandoning his citizenship
:psyduck: abandoning us citizenship

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kalstrams posted:

men with guns

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kalstrams posted:

Because he didn't want to pay taxes.

So, when he wanted to visit the US, US immigration kindly reminded him to pay his taxes before they could process his visa... so he did! Then they kindly told him to gently caress off.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Powershift posted:

sorry, sometimes i get my bitcoin jesuses mixed up, especially when they both have such punchable faces.

Jesii

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2s92mk/i_just_implemented_bitcoin_on_an_ecommerce_site/

have some random lines

quote:

I see the value in bitcoin from a merchant's perspective (faster than a credit card company, irreversible, no volatility risk through a 3rd party).

there is NO test environment with Coinbase, writing automated tests (or manual ones) requires spending real money, some of which is lost due to mining fees (unlike Bitpay, they have not implemented testnet yet)

bitcoin invoices only last a few minutes before expiring (10 minutes with Coinbase)

To help the community, I pushed to have a bitcoin discount (10%). I stressed the merchant benefits to justify working on this feature.

time well spent

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

trucutru posted:

So, when he wanted to visit the US, US immigration kindly reminded him to pay his taxes before they could process his visa... so he did! Then they kindly told him to gently caress off.

this will never stop making me laugh either

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

trucutru posted:

his business is still based int he US, so i can't imagine he could have avoided paying taxes for too long.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
well, that combined with the hissy fit he threw about being 'robbed' by the irs after he a) paid what he owed b) didn't get what he wanted

i'm sure in an actual voluntary society he wouldn't be a shitheel though, mmyup

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

they voluntaryed him to get fygm'ed :allears:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

kalstrams posted:

"In what country is there a place for people like me?"
                                        -Roger Ver

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Holden: You're on an exchange, watching the graphs, when all of a sudden you look down...
Leon: What one?
Holden: What?
Leon: What exchange?
Holden: It doesn't make any difference what exchange, it's completely hypothetical.
Leon: But, how come I'd be there?
Holden: Maybe you're fed up. Maybe you want to be rich. Who knows? You look down and see the price falling, Leon. It's shooting toward zero...
Leon: Price falling? What's that?
Holden: [irritated by Leon's interruptions] You know what going to the moon is?
Leon: Of course!
Holden: Same thing, but upside down.
Leon: I've never seen the moon... But I understand what you mean.
Holden: You reach down and you remove the bitcoins from your order, Leon.
Leon: Do you make up these questions, Mr. Holden? Or do they write 'em down for you?
Holden: The bitcoin price continue to fall, weak hands are fleeing the market, hodlers posting about how bitcoin is a just discounted, trying to raise the price, but they can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.
Leon: [angry at the suggestion] What do you mean, I'm not helping?
Holden: I mean: you're not buying bitcoin! Why is that, Leon?
[Leon has become visibly shaken]
Holden: They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response... Shall we continue?
[Leon nods, still frowning, suspiciously.]
Holden: Describe in single words only the good things that come to your mind about your recent investments into cryptocurrencies.
Leon: My investments... I'll tell you about my investments.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boxturret posted:

"In what country is there a place for people like me?"
                                        -Roger Ver
i dont get the quote but as citizen of latvia the thought of abandoning us citizenship is hilarious

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

your own personal bitcoin jesus

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dex posted:

this will never stop making me laugh either
it is the best thing

i also like how miffed he is that us government wont even give him the time of day. imagine, the us government not giving a poo poo about a foreigner living abroad! especially a foreigner who explicitly renounced his us citizenship in order to evade taxation.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'd imagine his immigration file has a big "dickhead" stamped on the cover, so whoever gets it gets to figure out new ways to gently caress with him.

he can prove all the ties he wants to japan, he doesn't have japanese citizenship, and they could turn him away just as easily as the US. The next time he goes there, he has to admit to being denied entry to a country, they could look further into it and find the same concerns.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Powershift posted:

This is someone cutting their losses. probably the winklevi considering their announcment that they spent millions on bitcoins came around the time bitcoin was at the top of the $266 bubble.

the winklevii are morons but they probably get good financial advice given they were born into money. i wouldn't be suprised if they were the bearwhale and they're trying to slowly cash out given their other cash out plan (the ETF) seems to be stalled

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i renounced my citizenship in a country and now they wont let me in, what the gently caress?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

it is the best thing

i also like how miffed he is that us government wont even give him the time of day. imagine, the us government not giving a poo poo about a foreigner living abroad! especially a foreigner who explicitly renounced his us citizenship in order to evade taxation.

didn't he pay something like $30k as well? who the gently caress is dumb enough to blow 30-loving-large on a tax bill of a country you have no claim in? of course they won't let you in, Roger you dipshit, you're a tax evading criminal

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

evilweasel posted:

someone was running a money doubler and is cashing out their millions hundred thousands thousands of dollars they earned with the scam

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

the winklevii are morons but they probably get good financial advice given they were born into money. i wouldn't be suprised if they were the bearwhale and they're trying to slowly cash out given their other cash out plan (the ETF) seems to be stalled

You can be given all the good financial advice in the world, if you don't take it, it doesn't help.

Let me remind you that they bought into bitcoin. They gave somebody money, and got bitcoins in return.

I can't imagine how the ETF would ever go ahead. you can double or halve the market with $10,000,000. so you sell the etf based on $250 a coin for 25 million, use 10 mil to crash it to nothing, buy back into the etf for peanuts, buy the market back up to $500.

you would only have to maniuplate 1 exchange, and people trying arbitrage will do the rest of the work for you. you could sell back out before they dump their coins on exchange you drove up, get them absorb all the risk.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the talent deficit posted:

they invested in bitcoin, if they're getting good financial advice they aren't listening to it

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Ripoff posted:

didn't he pay something like $30k as well? who the gently caress is dumb enough to blow 30-loving-large on a tax bill of a country you have no claim in? of course they won't let you in, Roger you dipshit, you're a tax evading criminal

$325,000 earth dollars

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
http://moneyandstate.com/bitcoin-value-ponzi-schemes/

quote:

And while many casually-ignorant skeptics have called Bitcoin a ponzi scheme, Gary North is one of the only professionally-ignorant individuals to still hold this view.

quote:

We may all be out of our minds, and this whole experiment may certainly fail. Any honest Bitcoiner knows that. But if it fails it will be because experiments fail, not because it was a Ponzi Scheme. But right now, if you care to look, a hundred thousand transactions a day are happening outside of the fiat banking system, so, Mr. North, maybe you should check your premises.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 13, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
im the self-made libertarian who distrusts the us government so much that i renounced my citizenship and was somehow blindsided that they led me on when they implied that theyd give me a visa if i just paid my back taxes

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Why doesn't Ver buy a house in St. Kitts so he could at least pretend like he lives in the country of which he's a citizen?

Also, how many more years does Ver have to pay US taxes? Does he have 9 years left of the 10?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ripoff posted:

being on the wrong side of the irs is not a wonderful decision even if you plan to stay outside the US

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Ripoff posted:

30k lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

there is no crash in bitcoin

at 230 we are safe

at 230 we are free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i love it so much

give me a visa to attend a conference in the us
"we wont even talk to you unless you clear up your back taxes"
but..i...arrrgh okay here you go
*hands over a check for $325k*
now will you grant me a visa to visit the us?
"no. piss off." *cashes check*

• Locked thread