Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

unpacked robinhood posted:

someone made negative money on kickstarter

it made me think of bitcoin

I'm the kickstarted "self made" promotions group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

the most interesting chart is the one where andreas says something is good and on the board of it and then the thing tanks and he jumps ship

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

trucutru posted:

Mmmm, yeah. That one is surely the one most people are interested in.

likely true though because

QuarkJets posted:

I just want bitcoin to plummet to sub-$100 levels so that all of those big warehouses full of ASICs have to shut down.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Muscle Tracer posted:

likely true though because

Nah, it's not a chicken-or-the-egg problem. The price drives the hashing/difficulty chart, not the other way around. (And then you have the sunken cost fallacy to prop the hashing up).

Although, if the hashing plummets, then the generation of new coins will slowdown and prevent them to be dumped as fast. But 1800 or so less coins per day are not a big deal.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So did Andreas actually make any money out of this?

I mean clearly people like BFL and Karpeles & Tibbane, Pirate40 and the multitude of other overt and covert scammers have made out like bandits, to various degrees of getting away with it.

But is Andreas actually a true believer? Or has he just been playing these idiots to make some money? Has he been associated with any of the scams directly?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JFairfax posted:

I mean clearly people like BFL and Karpeles & Tibbane, Pirate40 and the multitude of other overt and covert scammers have made out like bandits, to various degrees of getting away with it.

But is Andreas actually a true believer? Or has he just been playing these idiots to make some money? Has he been associated with any of the scams directly?

He worked as a security consultant for the buttcoinfoundation (and was paid in useless fiat) and charges fees (in useless fiat) for his public speaking so yeah.

He's not a true believer, just a typical weasel.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

JFairfax posted:

There have been a few "I am Antdreas Antonpoulous and I endorse this service" things where the site closes down for being a scam a few weeks later, which amazingly hasn't hurt his reputation because bitcoiners have the memory span of a gldfish

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
so much happening happened while i was asleep

sad i missed the suicide hotline not getting modded

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

he also has that book http://www.amazon.ca/Mastering-Bitcoin-Unlocking-Digital-Cryptocurrencies/dp/1449374042

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
please embed this in the thread, tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nT0g887ShE

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
Real talk here, is there a campaign against bitcoin suddenly? I know this may sound conspiracy theory esq... But the major robbery to destroy faith in the security of it, and then a major plunge in the price to make people think it's unstable. Maybe I'm being paranoid... But this is a lot to happen at once for never having anything like this before. A truly independent currency not tied to any country for control, it's like people are ditching the federal reserve and it's scared someone.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
To the panic sellers... (self.Bitcoin)
submitted an hour ago * by Nooku

You didn't have the faintest idea of what you had bought, did you.

The Bitcoin network can be seen as one of the largest versatile super computers ever made so far, and access to this network is required by tokens named Satoshis. Every time you sell 1 Bitcoin, you are trading in 100 million of these tokens (Satoshis) for a few hundred meaningless dollars.
It makes me LOL a bit.

Thx for the discounts.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Ploft-shell crab posted:

But this is a lot to happen at once for never having anything like this before.

literally a goldfish

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

[–]fucknozzle 4 points 5 hours ago

Mining will always be profitable?

[–]TroubledByExistence[S] 3 points 5 hours ago*

yes. For as long as bitcoin has value, mining will be profitable. Difficulty adjusts.

edit: also, my electric costs are >free. As profitability decreases, those who pay (more) for electricity stop mining.

So yeah, mining will always be profitable because, when it stops being so you won't be mining!

quote:

[–]TroubledByExistence[S] 3 points 4 hours ago

well, mining is always profitable in every realistic scenario imaginable. And, mining is unprofitable in unrealistic imaginable scenarios....

I'm not sure what your point is about that. I mean, oil is always combustible...in the presence of oxygen. But try igniting it in a vacuum!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 14, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ploft-shell crab posted:

Real talk here, is there a campaign against bitcoin suddenly? I know this may sound conspiracy theory esq... But the major robbery to destroy faith in the security of it, and then a major plunge in the price to make people think it's unstable. Maybe I'm being paranoid... But this is a lot to happen at once for never having anything like this before. A truly independent currency not tied to any country for control, it's like people are ditching the federal reserve and it's scared someone.
cybergenocide of sovereign citizens

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

kalstrams posted:

cybergenocide of sovereign citizens
             /

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Heh, I totally wanted the price to drop guys. Totally saw this coming when I bought in at $600, so if you think this is making me upset or anything you're totally wrong. In fact I'd love it if the price dropped some more (gonna jinx it heheheh)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ploft-shell crab posted:

no, we've been on this cliff for a while, waiting for the drop. Here's a timeline of how we got here

The high price was faked, bought up with money that didn't exist by magikarpeles.
In order for the price to go up, more people would have to buy in, than early adopters sold out
miners spent millions and millions of dollars on mining hardware based on the expectation of the price staying where it was or going higher forever.
These miners now have $500,000+ daily power bills.
miners selling their haul to pay their power bill gradually wears the price down
the lower the price, the more they have to sell
the more they sell, the faster the price drops
the faster the price drops, the more they have to sell.

All these hodl retards combined can't do poo poo. 1000 idiots each dumping 1000 dollars only buys up 2 days worth of miners power bill sales.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

trucutru posted:

Although, if the hashing plummets, then the generation of new coins will slowdown and prevent them to be dumped as fast. But 1800 or so less coins per day are not a big deal.

but that's what's interesting. price is on a loving yoyo, but if it starts meaningfully impacting miners who have been increasing pretty linearly until now, that's taking laffs to a whole new level

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm still cumming

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

speaking of hashing plummeting, more than 6 blocks were found in the last hour, someone stepped in to fill the cointerra/cex.io gap.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ploft-shell crab posted:

yes did you not see the fudge bearwhale cake??

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Muscle Tracer posted:

but that's what's interesting. price is on a loving yoyo, but if it starts meaningfully impacting miners who have been increasing pretty linearly until now, that's taking laffs to a whole new level

That already happened. Hashing power is going down since the last difficulty adjustment. Miners are mothballing their machines. The next difficulty target is -0.55% (and going down because we are in the first few days of the cycle).

I know what you mean, and you're right, it is interesting. I am just being pedantic about it.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Jizz Festival posted:

The Bitcoin network can be seen as one of the largest versatile super computers ever made so far, and access to this network is required by tokens named Satoshis. Every time you sell 1 Bitcoin, you are trading in 100 million of these tokens (Satoshis) for a few hundred meaningless dollars.
It makes me LOL a bit.

Thx for the discounts.

hey guize remember all those times the successful businessmen if yesteryear couldn't stop barfing crying publicly mocking everyone who wasn't simultaneously doing their exact same business strategy?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Jizz Festival posted:

The Bitcoin network can be seen as one of the largest versatile super computers ever made so far,

at this point I :vince: for like a whole minute

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
im the largest most versatile super computer that can only ever compute SHA1 hashes

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's like having the world's most powerful and deadly space laser but using it to gently caress w/ an anthill

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Powershift posted:

speaking of hashing plummeting, more than 6 blocks were found in the last hour, someone stepped in to fill the cointerra/cex.io gap.

that's too short a timeframe to conclude that someone filled the gap in

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

"zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
"I checked it very thoroughly," said the computer, "and that quite definitely is the answer. I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."
"But it was the Great Question! The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything," howled Loonquawl.
"Yes," said Deep Thought with the air of one who suffers fools gladly, "but what actually is it?"
A slow stupefied silence crept over the men as they stared at the computer and then at each other.
"Well, you know, it's just Everything … Everything ..." offered Phouchg weakly.
"Exactly!" said Deep Thought. "So once you know what the question actually is, you'll know what the answer means."

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

quote:

"The fundamentals of the six-year-old currency are stronger today than they have ever been and we think we are going to continue to see many interesting developments in 2015." (wired.co.uk)
eingereicht 3 hours ago von xbt_fan

interesting teaser quote. i wonder who said it...a respected analyst with years of experience...a phd economist with a great reputation...

quote:

Amadeo Pellicce, chief operating officer and co-founder of UK-based bitcoin exchange Coinfloor

oh ok

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
fwiw im pretty sure i have the same credentials as that guy (or better seeing as i didnt invest in bitcoin) and i think the fundamental value of bitcoin is $0 so its still extremely overvalued

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, yes, the fundamentals. That sounds like something a smart person would say.

Shai Hulud
Feb 23, 2004

Jizz Festival posted:

Yes, yes, the fundamentals. That sounds like something a smart person would say.

Or a high school basketball coach. Cash in a mayonnaise jar in the back yard turned out to be the winning strategy after all, Coach Lymes!

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

http://www.grcooling.com/bitcoin-mining/

:laffo: x infinity

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Powershift posted:

Couldn't that just happen by chance? Looking at blockchain.info the average time for a block was still around 8 minutes so even losing a bunch of power 6 in an hour doesn't seem unrealistic. Though if there is a better graph that shows distribution of block time rather than just average I would like to see it.

Did cex.io actually shut down the miners or did they just stop renting out?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's like having the world's most powerful and deadly space laser but using it to gently caress w/ an anthill

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

looking forward to the youtube vid of the massive mineral oil explosion at the bitcoin factory when their illegally tapped water gets shut off before their illegally tapped electricity

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

quote:

The fundamentals of the six-year-old currency are stronger today than they have ever been and we think we are going to continue to see many interesting developments in 2015.

I agree with him. There's been plenty of interesting developments already this year and the fundamentals are as terrible as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

CampingCarl posted:

Couldn't that just happen by chance? Looking at blockchain.info the average time for a block was still around 8 minutes so even losing a bunch of power 6 in an hour doesn't seem unrealistic. Though if there is a better graph that shows distribution of block time rather than just average I would like to see it.

Did cex.io actually shut down the miners or did they just stop renting out?

yes, the time of a handful of blocks isn't that statically relevant. it's like saying a cold day disproves global warming.

mining is essentially a big game of "I'm thinking of a number, run your guesses through this hash algorithm to see if you got it right." so while the difficulty aims to make it take an average of ten minutes, it's just a matter of probability. that's why confirmation times are so variable, as even with a good fee, your tx might get confirmed in a minute, or two hours.

• Locked thread