Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

I'm not nearly as up on DG as I am NJPW,, but CIMA was their ace for years and now it seems like that may be BxB Hulk.

It feels like they are going without an Ace with Yoshino, YAMATO and Hulk all getting a chance to be "the guy" across 2013 and 2014, imo. It was supposed to be Shingo taking CIMA's place but he never connected/got caught up in the Cora scandal.

I think Tozawa could take that role if they ever had faith in him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bard Maddox posted:

the first one that came to mind was Michaels vs. Mankind from Mind Games. 25 great minutes of what would be the best match of the year with even an okay finish to build up to just an awful deflating end when you desperately want a definitive ending. even the Undertaker return after it doesn't help it

I get the Undertaker's return, and I understood that Michaels and Mankind needed to walk away after taking their beatings without a clear winner, but I still don't get the point of Vader jumping in when he did.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Spermgod posted:

What are the best matches with the worst booking? Can anything come close to Lesnar/Cena II?

Royal Rumble 2014

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Spermgod posted:

What are the best matches with the worst booking? Can anything come close to Lesnar/Cena II?
Lesnar/Cena II? Don't you mean Lesnar/Cena I? The extreme rules match when Brock returned from UFC?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Spermgod posted:

Ambrose/Rollins at HIAC. What should have been an incredible instant classic blowoff was getting there for about 95% of the match, and then magic lantern happened.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Benne posted:

Ambrose/Rollins at HIAC. What should have been an incredible instant classic blowoff was getting there for about 95% of the match, and then magic lantern happened.

Ditto their lumberjack match at Summerslam, which was an excellent match despite being a lumberjack match of all things. The ending should have been perfect, with Ambrose decking Rollins with the rebound lariat, getting a dramatic nearfall, berating a near-lifeless Rollins for his betrayal, curb stomping him, and tearing up as he made the cover to end the feud prompt 2014 Kane Interference #319.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

Lesnar/Cena II? Don't you mean Lesnar/Cena I? The extreme rules match when Brock returned from UFC?

Cena/Lesnar had a match way back during Lesnar's original run.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Dimebags Brain posted:

Cena/Lesnar had a match way back during Lesnar's original run.

Yeah, IIRC that's when Cena started doing the FU as a shot at Lesnar's F5.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Saul Goode posted:

How was Macho Man as a draw when he was WWF champ?

I'm pretty sure he drew more than Hogan did at that time.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ugh. This was one of those things that was so perfect it makes me angry. Top 1 or 2 moments of 2014, in isolation. It's a shame where it went. :(

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shine posted:

Yeah, IIRC that's when Cena started doing the FU as a shot at Lesnar's F5.

Yeah. The promos for that match were a little vulgar and homophobic (per most 'thug' Cena ones) but the intensity was great.

"Your finisher's the F5? WELL MINE'S THE F YOU!"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What was Cena using as his finisher before the FU? I can't even remember.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Spinout powerbomb according to wiki.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Shine posted:

Ditto their lumberjack match at Summerslam, which was an excellent match despite being a lumberjack match of all things. The ending should have been perfect, with Ambrose decking Rollins with the rebound lariat, getting a dramatic nearfall, berating a near-lifeless Rollins for his betrayal, curb stomping him, and tearing up as he made the cover to end the feud prompt 2014 Kane Interference #319.

this wouldn't be a problem at all if it was still part of the build to a hell in a cell match that ends definitively with ambrose winning

Sebastian Vettel posted:

I honestly think the most important was Bryan's injury leading to Brock squashing Cena at Summerslam instead of potentially Bryan

if the summerslam main event was bryan/lesnar i really doubt they'd book it like the cena/lesnar match

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Luigi Thirty posted:

Spinout powerbomb according to wiki.

I always preferred that to the AA/FU. It looked like a Blue Thunder Bomb setup into a spinebuster. You can see it if you look up the old Cena/Bryan Danielson match from Velocity.

The FU started as a lazy Death Valley Driver, and over the years it evolved into a boring rack slam.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

sticklefifer posted:

The FU started as a lazy Death Valley Driver, and over the years it evolved into a boring rack slam.

There's a metaphor here...

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm pretty sure he drew more than Hogan did at that time.

It seems like he was never in a position to be The Guy after Wrestlemania V though, so if he drew as well as or better than Hogan, why was Savage dropped in favour of unproven commodities like Warrior and Sid?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Saul Goode posted:

It seems like he was never in a position to be The Guy after Wrestlemania V though, so if he drew as well as or better than Hogan, why was Savage dropped in favour of unproven commodities like Warrior and Sid?

Well remember that when Sid was coming up and feuding with Hogan, Savage was feuding with Flair over the belt/Elizabeth. Just like with Cena in recent years, belts are belts but the MAIN CHARACTER of the promotion gets top billing. In the case of Warrior I think they just wanted to go with something new. Mania V wrapped up the Hogan/Savage story pretty perfectly and there was no reason to come back to it.

Plus Sid and Warrior were both loving huge whereas Macho Man was sort of a normal sized pro wrestler. Shame that both those guys were rear end in the ring but that's kinda the way it goes I guess.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Sid is one of my all time favorite guys but I didn't learn of his greatness until his run in dying WCW. I always forget he was around way back then.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always wondered if Sid was ever in on the joke during his last WCW run. He always seemed like such a loving nutjob, I'm not sure he ever had a working sense of humor.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

sticklefifer posted:

I always preferred that to the AA/FU. It looked like a Blue Thunder Bomb setup into a spinebuster. You can see it if you look up the old Cena/Bryan Danielson match from Velocity.

He still does the old finisher as the set up for the Five Knuckle Shuffle, but it has gotten so lazy that it looks like a back suplex.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
What happened to 5 dollar wrestling? I keep looking for new episodes, but beyond the Freight Train's DVD there is nothing new. I also thought I heard during Colt's podcast with Punk that Marty hosed off to LA or something. So is that it?

I miss 5 dollar wrestling.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Marty's supposedly making it big in Hollywood, which why they also don't do the "Worst Promo Ever" vids anymore, which is probably a blessing.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I always wondered if Sid was ever in on the joke during his last WCW run. He always seemed like such a loving nutjob, I'm not sure he ever had a working sense of humor.

he was

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I need to know which one of you it was who summed it up by saying "Sid is the very definition of a galoot."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Halloween Jack posted:

I need to know which one of you it was who summed it up by saying "Sid is the very definition of a galoot."

Same. I only remember that it was in response to me talking about how Sid was awesome because instead of having a background of being a lovely person like Hogan/Savage/Warrior, most of his behind-the-scenes stories made him seem like a cartoon character. That line always stuck with me.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember it coming up during some talking about Sid grabbing a squeegee as a deadly weapon to combat Brian Pillman.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I mean, he worked less/got less of a run than he could have because he kept his schedule open for softball tournaments, his actual passion

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Blast Fantasto posted:

For a while he would just clock people with his chain too. I'm trying to remember when he started doing the STF, was it during a feud with Angle? It seems like when you face a submission wrestler for a while, you magically learn one like Edge's sharpshooter or Sheamus's cloverleaf.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Good Listener posted:

I'm trying to remember when he started doing the STF, was it during a feud with Angle? It seems like when you face a submission wrestler for a while, you magically learn one like Edge's sharpshooter or Sheamus's cloverleaf.
Yeah, it was during the Angle feud in 2005. The storyline was "oh god how is John Cena possibly going to beat Angle in a SUBMISSION MATCH?!!" and, naturally, he overcame the odds by showcasing his mastery of the STF. I recall the reaction (mine and internet fans in general) being slightly less than impressed.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I like that Cena was actively being booed in 2005.

Ten years later and the joke is on us.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm pretty sure he debuted the STF (or at least it became one of his Things) by winning a handicap Submission Match against Angle and Masters.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot Chris Masters was involved in that match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Somewhere along the line he beat Sabu with it, which given it's Sabu might be the most bullshit thing ever. "I shrugged off losing half my arm to barbed wire, but man, this loose STF is too much!"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

DeathChicken posted:

Somewhere along the line he beat Sabu with it, which given it's Sabu might be the most bullshit thing ever. "I shrugged off losing half my arm to barbed wire, but man, this loose STF is too much!"
:gonk: I had forgotten that too why did you remind me oh god

2005-06 was not a good time to watch WWE if you liked anyone that wasn't Cena. (Okay, that's a slight exaggeration but seeing him steamroll over everyone during that SuperCena run was absolutely soul-crushing)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 17, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Fortunately at the time you could still watch whatever brand Cena wasn't on.

Karmine posted:

Savage was feuding with Flair over the belt/Elizabeth.

What was the blowoff to this? Was it ever revealed that Flair actually doctored the photos of him with Elizabeth? I feel like that angle was ahead of its time - presented today with Photoshop and video editing, an "I had your wife before you did" angle would be creepy as hell and could get a ton of heat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

What was the blowoff to this? Was it ever revealed that Flair actually doctored the photos of him with Elizabeth? I feel like that angle was ahead of its time - presented today with Photoshop and video editing, an "I had your wife before you did" angle would be creepy as hell and could get a ton of heat.

I could see it being rejected before it gets out of the gates as being too risque for WWE programming.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I don't remember what was revealed on TV, but I remember a WWF Magazine feature revealing that the photos were doctored.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what was tna's best top to bottom ppv in terms of match quality? i dont remember it too well but i think destination x 2012 was pretty great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

minoru suzuki posted:

what was tna's best top to bottom ppv in terms of match quality? i dont remember it too well but i think destination x 2012 was pretty great?

they have to have put on a top to bottom good show by accident before this but destination x 2012 is the first one that springs to mind even with a couple lacklustre ultimate x qualifying matches