Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

-Troika- posted:

Last time I played pretty much all the UK TDs sucked until you got the 183.

The 183 is the worst tier 10 by a mile now. Slow as an E100, only 230 pen on the HESH, and still laughably inaccurate with unreliable armor.

Also the playerbase is vastly worse than it has ever been due to the missions. Fortunately you have missions yourself so you can throw your shithead team under the bus to get your fancy tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So if we were in the Beta Weekend last time we are auto back in and don't have to reapply, right?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Magres posted:

We've got like six months to chew through them.

Wait, what? I thought they said there was no time limit on the missions.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Wait, what? I thought they said there was no time limit on the missions.

That should still be the case. They want to add a new set of tanks and missions every six months or so (wargaming time) and they never expire.

We'll see how it ends up but there hasn't been an EOL date set or anything.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

Also the playerbase is vastly worse than it has ever been due to the missions. Fortunately you have missions yourself so you can throw your shithead team under the bus to get your fancy tanks.

You're the same goddamn thing you moron. You've just decided you're not part of the "playerbase". So when you throw the game it's because reasons and not because you're a pubbie shitlord oval office.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

If nothing else, individual missions are a handy source of cash.

Magres posted:

Also, more British TDs. I know nothing about them :shrug:

For WWII history fans, this includes the Sherman Firefly and the Achilles, which are the only reason I'm playing that line. Also all new tanks have HD models, which is nice.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Prav posted:

That should still be the case. They want to add a new set of tanks and missions every six months or so (wargaming time) and they never expire.

We'll see how it ends up but there hasn't been an EOL date set or anything.

That's good to hear. My schedule only allows me to play for a few hours a night, so sadly doing these missions will take me a long time :smith:.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My bad! I had just heard 6mo around the Tanks water cooler, didn't mean to scare you.

I'm in the same boat, I'm only like halfway through the first set of missions and the LT ones are taking me forever because I'm awful at Light Tanks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The 5th light tank mission seems to be bugged for me, so that's not helping. Spot and help your team damage an enemy tank, do it twice for the secondary. I've passive spotted, I've spotted and done damage myself, nothing seems to be working.

Prav posted:

They want to add a new set of tanks and missions every six months or so (wargaming time) and they never expire.

Like the episodes in Star Trek Online!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Having never played any arty beyond the Sexton II, these SPG individual missions are particularly excruciating. I've got the Birch Gun and the tier 4 American SPG, what's the fastest route to one that can do 1000 damage in a battle without a huge dose of luck?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

You're the same goddamn thing you moron. You've just decided you're not part of the "playerbase". So when you throw the game it's because reasons and not because you're a pubbie shitlord oval office.

Eat poo poo? If I have teammates above 50% winrate, maybe I'll consider helping them win. If not, gently caress it - get that mission done.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

If I have teammates above 50% winrate, maybe I'll consider helping them win.

You ask for too much.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Having never played any arty beyond the Sexton II, these SPG individual missions are particularly excruciating. I've got the Birch Gun and the tier 4 American SPG, what's the fastest route to one that can do 1000 damage in a battle without a huge dose of luck?

Tier 4 french arti with APCR.

Mesadoram posted:

You ask for too much.

I'm not talking about the whole team. I just one one teammate above 50% winrate.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

I'm not talking about the whole team. I just one one teammate above 50% winrate.

I know :smug:

Anyone got the T28 Concept yet? It looks like a fun little thing.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The game is 1000% less frustrating if you turn off win percentage/wn8 and turn off chat when you're not trolling. Playing tanks as a single player game with an interesting but really goofy AI solves a whole lot of frustration problems.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Protip: whether your goal is winning the round or getting a mission done, your best bet is to throw your teammates under the bus whenever possible.

Pubbies are all god awful people who don't deserve to be carried to victory, anyway.

E: drat YOU PUBBIE ARTILLERY JUST LET ME KILL YOU! Just had a loving pub arty drown himself rather than be killed by me in my T37 for the LT mission :mad:

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 20, 2015

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The game is 1000% less frustrating if you turn off win percentage/wn8 and turn off chat when you're not trolling. Playing tanks as a single player game with an interesting but really goofy AI solves a whole lot of frustration problems.

This.
Dont need to turn off wn8, seeing who's xvm arty or decent, is nice to know about. But win percentage is bullshit.
Dont ever trust your team to win for you, do it yourself.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

FTR interview with Storm posted:

- it’s possible that tanks with limited MM (FCM 50t) will be removed from the shop
- KV-5 miniturret buff would only come at the expense of that tank losing its limited MM
- AMX CDC and T-54 model 1945 will not have limited MM
- Panther 88 will not recieve limited MM

I'm not sure what to make of this. Has there been any other word of WG ditching preferential matchmaking? Or is SS perhaps translating badly?

Also, as a KV-5 driver, I really hope they don't touch it. The weak R2D2 is actually a plus, as it means I know where most of my enemies will aim and I can wiggle or hide it accordingly. Buffing the armor and opening it to tier 10 would leave me with a shittier KV-4 that doesn't lose quite as much money.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Descar posted:

This.
Dont need to turn off wn8, seeing who's xvm arty or decent, is nice to know about. But win percentage is bullshit.
Dont ever trust your team to win for you, do it yourself.

The win percentage calculation is pretty accurate actually. Your team might not be able to win battles for you, but they can sure as hell lose them for you.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 20, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Due to my lack of patience I blew some gold to free XP all of the poo poo on the Tiger. Boy is this a strange tank. It has paper armor, is a giant and has a fantastic gun that just straight up DPM's the every loving poo poo out of what ever is at the end of the barrel. I've won a good portion of the games I've played in it mainly because it is fan-loving-tastic at carrying. I was not planning on keep this, but if it keeps up this murder spree I think it is going to be a ringer.

Axetrain posted:

On sand river enemy team decided to just drive up the middle. It predictably didn't work but it at least made things interesting.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1547122#steppes-axetrain-is-6

:homebrew:

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 20, 2015

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

On sand river enemy team decided to just drive up the middle. It predictably didn't work but it at least made things interesting.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1547122#steppes-axetrain-is-6

Edit: Actually I forgot this map is called steppes.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 20, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

rockopete posted:

I'm not sure what to make of this. Has there been any other word of WG ditching preferential matchmaking? Or is SS perhaps translating badly?

Not as far as I can remember, but I have noticed that they're not really adding any new soft-MM T8s either (thank god).

I guess they've realized that having soft MM on half the T8 tanks in the queue means that playing the other half is not only miserable, but also creates a vicious cycle of no one wanting to play standard T8s because they just end up in T10 which leads to an even larger portion of the standard-8s ending up in T10, etc etc - and on top of that the soft-8s end up preying on T6-7 tanks.

They probably should do something about the KV-5, IS-6 et al but I'm pretty sure that they won't. Maybe some of them will be removed from the store in an eternity or two.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

Not as far as I can remember, but I have noticed that they're not really adding any new soft-MM T8s either (thank god).

I guess they've realized that having soft MM on half the T8 tanks in the queue means that playing the other half is not only miserable, but also creates a vicious cycle of no one wanting to play standard T8s because they just end up in T10 which leads to an even larger portion of the standard-8s ending up in T10, etc etc - and on top of that the soft-8s end up preying on T6-7 tanks.

They probably should do something about the KV-5, IS-6 et al but I'm pretty sure that they won't. Maybe some of them will be removed from the store in an eternity or two.

+1/-1 matchmaking solves all these problems and makes the game more fun for everyone.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I can understand why WG would want to remove limited MM, the current model makes some of the tanks that have it feel a bit cheaty. Also why would anyone want to buy a premium with regular MM when you can pick up a fantastic pub stomper like the IS-6 and spend most of your time at the top of the food chain.

Hellsau posted:

+1/-1 matchmaking solves all these problems and makes the game more fun for everyone.

Yeah that's a great idea. But we just can't because reasons.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

The move to +-2 did more than enough damage :colbert:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

I think +1/-1 would work great on super populated servers like the Russian, but I have this burning feeling that doing this will lead to higher que times for battles on the American servers. The average tier on the American server is 5.22 (wotlabs.net). That is also combining both of the American servers.

But, I am no mathematician and certainly not a developer that knows the statistics with 100% confidence. Would this make battles more fun? Probably, but it will be at the cost time waiting for fights and fullness of games if MM wants to be lazy and do half full games for the lower populated tiers (I am sure most of us have seen this happen at least once before).

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

I think +1/-1 would work great on super populated servers like the Russian, but I have this burning feeling that doing this will lead to higher que times for battles on the American servers. The average tier on the American server is 5.22 (wotlabs.net). That is also combining both of the American servers.

But, I am no mathematician and certainly not a developer that knows the statistics with 100% confidence. Would this make battles more fun? Probably, but it will be at the cost time waiting for fights and fullness of games if MM wants to be lazy and do half full games for the lower populated tiers (I am sure most of us have seen this happen at least once before).

higher queue times? good. do it now.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellsau posted:

Tier 4 french arti with APCR.

223 pen :eyepop: Thanks for the tip.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Axetrain posted:

Yeah that's a great idea. But we just can't because reasons.

Can and did! But only in WoT Blitz.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

gently caress no. :getout:.

This is called being wildly retarded/gassing yourself with xyklon b, not a guideline to having fun. I'm not referring to chat being off, specifically about not using xvm.

Also, AI is a hell of a lot smarter than the average pubbie just based on consistency. Even a bot at 41% isn't necessarily going to shoot it's teammates.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So, what, a +1/-1 tier spread is a good idea now? I remember people bringing that up in the past as an idea and basically getting ganged up and told to git gud and that you should carry literally every game even if you're two tiers down.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

What is the precedent for when WG removes a lovely tank like the Awful Panther and you have it in your garage with halfway XP to the next tank? Do they give you the credits and the XP as free XP?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tracula posted:

So, what, a +1/-1 tier spread is a good idea now? I remember people bringing that up in the past as an idea and basically getting ganged up and told to git gud and that you should carry literally every game even if you're two tiers down.

The only arguments against it are from historical nerds since M4s and Tigers real life whatever, and from people who think +2/-2 matchmaking makes wargaming more money.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

HAHA! loving FINALLY!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Animal posted:

What is the precedent for when WG removes a lovely tank like the Awful Panther and you have it in your garage with halfway XP to the next tank? Do they give you the credits and the XP as free XP?

It's straight swapped, so if you've got, say, an AufPanth with 3500 exp, elite tracks and top gun but stock turret it turns into a SpähPz with 3500 exp, elite tracks and top gun but stock turret. You might get a small refund if there's some module that doesn't match up 1:1.

I'm not sure that I'm really looking forward to the swap. For all the AufPanth's flaws, it does have personality.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wait so what's the awful Panther being replaced with?

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
These missions are totally not broken at all. I didn't think a Hellcat counted as a SPG

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zanziabar posted:

These missions are totally not broken at all. I didn't think a Hellcat counted as a SPG

It's more of a mistranslation than anything, really.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

Wait so what's the awful Panther being replaced with?

That tin can above. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp%E4hpanzer_SP_I.C.

90 mm gun, no armor, high hp/t, and a really small size. It'll probably just be a Ru 251 that someone cut in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Botes weekend client is able to download stuff. Get it early, avoid pulling hair out the day of.