Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I have asked a few times before, and I know I am already apostate for not being a kickstarter backer (in fairness, didn't' know about it during the KS phase), but....will this be on any kind of sale or special coming up? I have limited funds and have set aside a very limited amount that is BARELY enough for PoE at full retail. Any chance of a break on pricing before it releases?

GMG discount codes usually work on pre-orders. They'll send you a Steam key when the game releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pity the poor bastard who's going to play this off GOG. I like their service but it's not feasible for newer games weighing tens of gigs that need updating.

edit: The only in-game difference between buying the game now and buying it on release are the two pre-order items: the magic ring and the space-piglet. The Hero, Champion and Royal editions differ only in how much paratext material they offer.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 20, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I want PoE to be delivered* via 8 CD roms for the Authentic Infinity Engine Experience (TM)

*hand delivered by rope kid and avellone themselves

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Pity the poor bastard who's going to play this off GOG. I like their service but it's not feasible for newer games weighing tens of gigs that need updating.

Eh, GoG has put updater files in addition to updated installers before so here's hope they do that for PoE. And GoG is preferable for those of us who live in EU since Steam is ripping us off by additional 10€ (on Hero edition, almost twice that for anyone willing to shell out for Royal). Thanks Gabe.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gyshall posted:

I want PoE to be delivered* via 8 CD roms for the Authentic Infinity Engine Experience (TM)

*hand delivered by rope kid and avellone themselves

This. if I could buy it retail I would. GMG is nice, but they charge that conversion amount since they work in Euros. I'll keep an eye on Steam. Its on my wish list.

Thanks for the headsup though on the Steam sale.

Edit: If it doesn't take me 6 disks and 2 hours to install, I am not getting my full Baldurs Gate nostalgia from it :mad:

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 20, 2015

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
loving console playing casual scum in this thread doesn't even want the game on a cubic meter of floppy disks.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Blotto Skorzany posted:

My headcannon is that all of the Cipher's mental attacks are based on projecting goatse/tubgirl/etc into the enemy's mind

...I think your headcanon might be better than mine.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Say one thing for the Watcher of Dyrwood, say he's a fighter.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jastiger posted:

Edit: If it doesn't take me 6 disks and 2 hours to install, I am not getting my full Baldurs Gate nostalgia from it :mad:
It should only take that long to roll characters for your party.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Blotto Skorzany posted:

My headcannon is that all of the Cipher's mental attacks are based on projecting goatse/tubgirl/etc into the enemy's mind

Cipher Gameplay.mp4

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jackard posted:

It should only take that long to roll characters for your party.

Of course. That is after I've waited at least 3 days to play the game since I have to read the manual that came with the game, front to back, and front again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think Fighters are really dull compared to other classes. They've got like 3 active skills and about a dozen passives and it makes them feel really dull compared to everyone else.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
By the way, given I remember someone asked: Paradox has started uploading the Twitch stream in chunks on YouTube, on their ParadoxExtra account.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Of course. That is after I've waited at least 3 days to play the game since I have to read the manual that came with the game, front to back, and front again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

For full authenticity at least half the skills described in the manual should either not be in the game or not work as the manual describes. Bonus points if the manual describes something one way and the game works in the exact opposite.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

I think Fighters are really dull compared to other classes. They've got like 3 active skills and about a dozen passives and it makes them feel really dull compared to everyone else.

I don't know, I kind of like them. Mostly since they're all about knocking assorted beasties down so your other characters can get in and beat on them. And I don't have to worry about them constantly dying. Though I do like paladins a bit more.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Yeah, but can't they get their other actives earlier? The ranged grab they have isn't available till level 6 or 7, so for 5 levels they've got nothing but Knockdown.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fighters have access to Knockdown and Vigorous Defense at 1st, then Defender (Modal), Disciplined Barrage (Active), and Guardian Stance (Modal) at 3rd. At 5th they pick a Weapon Specialization, which is their only "forced" post-1st level passive. Then at 7th they gain access to Unbending (Active) and Into the Fray (Active). At 9th they gain access to Clear Out (Active). I didn't list any of the passives, but they have 2 Modals and 6 Actives. Excepting 5th level, they can take an Active or Modal ability every odd level (3, 7, 9, 11) in addition to the one they pick at 1st.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

rope kid posted:

Fighters have access to Knockdown and Vigorous Defense at 1st, then Defender (Modal), Disciplined Barrage (Active), and Guardian Stance (Modal) at 3rd. At 5th they pick a Weapon Specialization, which is their only "forced" post-1st level passive. Then at 7th they gain access to Unbending (Active) and Into the Fray (Active). At 9th they gain access to Clear Out (Active). I didn't list any of the passives, but they have 2 Modals and 6 Actives. Excepting 5th level, they can take an Active or Modal ability every odd level (3, 7, 9, 11) in addition to the one they pick at 1st.

Is there any reason to play them in a pretty mobile style, eg running around to bop different monsters, or are they very much designed to hold the line?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

"Into the Fray" and "Clear Out", at least from the names, seem to suggest that fighters can blitz other tanks as well as play defensive lineman for the rest of the party

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

SurrealityCheck posted:

Is there any reason to play them in a pretty mobile style, eg running around to bop different monsters, or are they very much designed to hold the line?

The game in general does not promote playing mobile anything.

Running around taking out different guys is how I enjoyed playing my Fighters/melee dudes in the Infinity Engine games. You can't play like that in v392 (on Hard, at least) and even in the next patch with an option to disable 'engagement stop', doing so will probably cause you to take a fair bit of damage, but I'll try it.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 21, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Fighters are generally designed to hold a line and stay put. Rogues and monks can more easily move around via their abilities. There are also a lot of items, abilities, and spells that increase defense against Disengagement Attacks.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Sensuki posted:

The game in general does not promote playing mobile anything.

Running around taking out different guys is how I enjoyed playing my Fighters/melee dudes in the Infinity Engine games. You can't play like that in v392 (on Hard, at least) and even in the next patch with an option to disable 'engagement stop', doing so will probably cause you to take a fair bit of damage, but I'll try it.

Would be interesting to see just how good you could get yourself versus disengagement, and if the tradeoff was worth it.

rope kid posted:

Fighters are generally designed to hold a line and stay put. Rogues and monks can more easily move around via their abilities. There are also a lot of items, abilities, and spells that increase defense against Disengagement Attacks.

Righty. Can rogues be fat enough to reasonably be front liners or are they much more squishville?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Rogues can be in the front line but they are really not good at standing toe-to-toe with multiple enemies. They are best put to use wherever there's a single target that's suffering from any of the afflictions that trigger Sneak Attack (and there quite a few, including Flanked).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Would be interesting to see just how good you could get yourself versus disengagement, and if the tradeoff was worth it.
With an item and one Talent I have a character with +35 vs. Disengagement at all times. With a chanter phrase or paladin aura I think that can get to +45 or +50.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013
The pax south event for PoE will be stremed on saturday 12:30 pm (CST) on twitch

Basic Chunnel posted:

"Into the Fray" and "Clear Out", at least from the names, seem to suggest that fighters can blitz other tanks as well as play defensive lineman for the rest of the party

Into the fray yanks an enemy in melee range and clear out is a group knock down ability.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 21, 2015

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rope kid posted:

a single target that's suffering from any of the afflictions that trigger Sneak Attack (and there quite a few, including Flanked).

I used a Rogue in my last run of the BB and noticed this very thing. It's pretty cool that there are so many different triggers for Sneak Attack, and that Rogues have many per encounter abilities that will put the targets in any of those states.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, the main thing to remember about playing rogues is that without their Sneak Attack, their damage output isn't particularly phenomenal. You have to either look for targets of opportunity or use abilities (either your own or another party member's) to create vulnerable targets.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I guess I might just be getting old, but once combat starts I actually had a hard time even figuring out who was who amongst all the engagement lines, exploding spells, spiderweb tangles (the big black entrapment(?) effect seems overdone), flashing, and general chaos. Like the only way I can even figure out who is who most of the time is selecting their portraits to see them highlight. Let alone move them around to backstab and such. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it. :smith:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I am glad rogues can do stuff in this game, I was always annoyed by games where you just had to sit around autoattacking like a warrior.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Fintilgin posted:

I guess I might just be getting old, but once combat starts I actually had a hard time even figuring out who was who amongst all the engagement lines, exploding spells, spiderweb tangles (the big black entrapment(?) effect seems overdone), flashing, and general chaos. Like the only way I can even figure out who is who most of the time is selecting their portraits to see them highlight. Let alone move them around to backstab and such. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it. :smith:
Thats one thing I miss from the old Gold Box games. You could always tell who/what was where.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Check to see Colorblind mode isn't on (or if it is off, turn it on, maybe you need a bit of help!).

One of the mods Sensuki helped get made migth also be of service.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
How viable are ranged rogues? Does sneak attack have a maximum range? Are most of their abilities melee only?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ranged rogues can be very effective. BTW most of the Affliction VFX are being turned into hits instead of persistent effects. I didn't want to make that shift until we got support to display status effects in enemy tooltips, but that's happening now.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The other thing that exasperates me a little bit, and this is probably my own fault for playing on hard, is that getting knocked out seems very all or nothing in a bunch of encounters. Like I seem to have a lot of characters who go from 90 or 100% endurance to 0 or 10% in a single hit or two. So quick I can often not even get healing off in time.

They may just be critting a lot, but sometimes I feel like I have a 4hp 1st level wizard/rogue. Smack! He's down!

rope kid posted:

Ranged rogues can be very effective. BTW most of the Affliction VFX are being turned into hits instead of persistent effects. I didn't want to make that shift until we got support to display status effects in enemy tooltips, but that's happening now.

I am sort of curious why health displays as red lights instead of a health bar. It bugs me more then it should. I really dislike the four red lights, although I can't actually explain why. :shobon:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

That's because there are five red lights.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
It's because those five pips are tied to health states, but I agree that a health bar would be more intuitive.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I greatly prefer the approximation than being flat told how much health is remaining. Remember BG had the "uninjured/barely injured/injured/badly injured/near death" tool-tip display that I'm imagining PoE is cribbing from with the health pips.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Sight-unseen a bar sounds better. Pips make me think of console anime games or something.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't mind the pips - it makes good visual design sense to mix up the style of your bar charts so they don't become overwhelming. I look at the screen and it sticks out, which is good because enemy health is a primary concern in how I choose my targets. A lot of games do it with depleting shields and armor and the like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

SoggyBobcat posted:

I greatly prefer the approximation than being flat told how much health is remaining. Remember BG had the "uninjured/barely injured/injured/badly injured/near death" tool-tip display that I'm imagining PoE is cribbing from with the health pips.

Didn't Fallout do that a year earlier?

Also the pips are clearly cribbed from Starcraft 2 :colbert:

• Locked thread