Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Safetyland posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks!

The Mini ITX Gigabyte has the same exact ports and can theoretically overclock about same and stay below 90c. It might cost less too, aside from being way smaller.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If you don't mind brands, the EVGA 970 SC is on sale for $334 after $10 rebate at Newegg today, use VCOJAN25 and Visa Checkout to take another $25 off.

Might be the cheapest a 970's been thus far without being an open box item.

Link to card's page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 20, 2015

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Cheapest non zotac or msi blue 970 anyway

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Hearing about the VRAM requirements for maxed out FarCry 4 @ 1080p has me wondering if we are trending towards 4GB+ VRAM for newer titles.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Khagan posted:

Hearing about the VRAM requirements for maxed out FarCry 4 @ 1080p has me wondering if we are trending towards 4GB+ VRAM for newer titles.

That's just Ubisofts shitness.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/dragon_age_inquisition_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,9.html
You scratch 2GB on 1080p, on a ultra setting that will cause 980's to dip below 60fps.
Yeah it's not enough for grognarded uncompressed Skyrim 4K texture packs, who cares.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 20, 2015

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
I have the MSI 4G Gaming 970 in my new rig, and just ignored MSI's disc in the box, and went directly to the NVidia site and downloaded their software and driver instead- am I missing anything by doing so?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

That's just Ubisofts shitness.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/dragon_age_inquisition_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,9.html
You scratch 2GB on 1080p, on a ultra setting that will cause 980's to dip below 60fps.
Yeah it's not enough for grognarded uncompressed Skyrim 4K texture packs, who cares.

Except there are already a growing number of games, not just lovely Ubisoft titles that run terribly on everything, that want 3+ gigs of VRAM if you want textures equivalent to the consoles. Cry all you want about crappy ports or lazy developers, but it is what it is and it's not going to get better.

Looking at current cards that have 2 and 4 gig models available, the price difference is minimal. Some of the 4 gig variants of the R9 270X are actually cheaper than the 2 gig versions from the same manufacturer.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

highmodulus posted:

I have the MSI 4G Gaming 970 in my new rig, and just ignored MSI's disc in the box, and went directly to the NVidia site and downloaded their software and driver instead- am I missing anything by doing so?

The headache of dealing with outdated and possibly-customized drivers.

Basically nothing.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I wanna see that game that requires 3GB+ for console parity, ie 1080p with FXAA or 2xMSAA, 4x if you're generous.
On a setting that will keep a 200$ card within eyesight of 60fps ofc.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 20, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

sauer kraut posted:

I wanna see that game that requires 3GB+ for console parity, ie 1080p with FXAA or 2xMSAA, 4x if you're generous.
On a setting that will keep a 200$ card within eyesight of 60fps ofc.

Evolve. Granted it was in beta and may improve, but that outright destroyed your VRAM.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

highmodulus posted:

When you open a box from Gigabyte, the first thing you see is a sticker that reads "Please download the driver from www.gigabyte.com or www.geforce.com".

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Quick EVGA question. I bought a used GTX 760 a month ago and after getting it installed, noticed a lot of my games crashing repeatedly to black screen, and at least one BSOD. Tried the most recent drivers and two versions before that with the same results, so I looked up the transferrable warranty section of EVGA's site and figured I'd get an RMA started.

At least, I would be if I hadn't bought the card used in SA-Mart, and of course, the serial number sticker is missing. I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known it didn't have it. So according to EVGA's website they'll just send it back to me and I'm just hosed, right? (Even if the box it came in still has its sticker?)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DammitJanet posted:

Quick EVGA question. I bought a used GTX 760 a month ago and after getting it installed, noticed a lot of my games crashing repeatedly to black screen, and at least one BSOD. Tried the most recent drivers and two versions before that with the same results, so I looked up the transferrable warranty section of EVGA's site and figured I'd get an RMA started.

At least, I would be if I hadn't bought the card used in SA-Mart, and of course, the serial number sticker is missing. I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known it didn't have it. So according to EVGA's website they'll just send it back to me and I'm just hosed, right? (Even if the box it came in still has its sticker?)

I'm the gal who sold it to you, and I just wanted to reply here that if the box has the serial number then yes, EVGA will take the RMA. Here's a EVGA tech support guy confirming that very thing, albeit with a different card. EVGA will honour an RMA if you have the box sticker, you just need to cut it out and send it along with the card. I'd probably take a picture of it for backup purposes though.

http://forums.evga.com/GTX-690-Just-Died-Serial-No-sticker-missing-m2066734.aspx

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Ladies and gents, the GTX960:

http://techreport.com/review/27702/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-graphics-card-reviewed

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Cross-postin' from the build thread:

ASUS Strix 960 1, 2, 3.

EVGA 960

MSI 960

It's a useful new part, delivering what was expected - deliver something kind of like 770 performance (although you can cherry pick a test where it's under a 760) with a low power use.
We still have a giant gap between the 960 and the 970, that in my opinion, NVIDIA should have done more to close with the 960.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Having read through some of those other reviews, I think they do a more thorough job than the one from the tech report. It's still an awkward choice compared to a cheaper r9-280 I think.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Looks ok. I wasn't aware Tonga is more thirsty than Tahiti XTL at less horsepower. That doesn't bode well for AMDs new stuff :drat:

Are they gonna stream their presentation? I enjoy watching Nvidias Korean (?) CEO.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Taiwanese-American

So, how long did it take between 760 and 970? I'm already looking forward to the next generation, drat 144Hz monitor.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm the gal who sold it to you, and I just wanted to reply here that if the box has the serial number then yes, EVGA will take the RMA. Here's a EVGA tech support guy confirming that very thing, albeit with a different card. EVGA will honour an RMA if you have the box sticker, you just need to cut it out and send it along with the card. I'd probably take a picture of it for backup purposes though.

http://forums.evga.com/GTX-690-Just-Died-Serial-No-sticker-missing-m2066734.aspx

You rock. Didn't mean to imply you were at fault or anything. Thanks again.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

HalloKitty posted:

ASUS Strix 960 1, 2, 3.

EVGA 960

MSI 960

It's a useful new part, delivering what was expected - deliver something kind of like 770 performance (although you can cherry pick a test where it's under a 760) with a low power use.
We still have a giant gap between the 960 and the 970, that in my opinion, NVIDIA should have done more to close with the 960.

The rumored GTX 960 Ti looks all the more likely now to fill that gap between the 960 and 970 at the 249.99 price bracket the GTX 760 held on to for so long. For 200 bucks this card looks to be perfectly acceptable, especially with Maxwell's overclocking headroom. It does seem to be particularly bad in AC: Unity in the benches I've seen, wonder if the 128-bit bus is specifically hampering it in that game, or if it's something like driver issues or Ubisoft being incompetent as gently caress.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

It does seem to be particularly bad in AC: Unity in the benches I've seen, wonder if the 128-bit bus is specifically hampering it in that game, or if it's something like driver issues or Ubisoft being incompetent as gently caress.

My money is on that one. AC:U is so incompetently programmed it boggles the mind.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beautiful Ninja posted:

It does seem to be particularly bad in AC: Unity in the benches I've seen, wonder if the 128-bit bus is specifically hampering it in that game, or if it's something like driver issues or Ubisoft being incompetent as gently caress.

AC: Unity runs like total garbage on everything. Even on medium at 1080p it takes a 980 to hit 60fps most of the time and anything below a 970 will see dips below 30. It can't even maintain 30fps on consoles where they can tune the settings for a fixed hardware spec.

Ubisoft games are just badly programmed and optimized in general and shouldn't be considered the norm. See also: Far Cry 4 refusing to start on systems with less than 4 cores even though people have shown that it runs fine on 2 with a hack to remove the check.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I received a free Unity code with a recent PC purchase and I'm loathe to even redeem it.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

HalloKitty posted:

ASUS Strix 960 1, 2, 3.

EVGA 960

MSI 960

Am I missing something? It's way below par compared to a 770

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hace posted:

Did the GTX 770 ever drop to the low $200s where this guy is? This card is pretty low on the pecking order, and the bigger problem they have is that the 4 year old R9-280X is cheaper and faster.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Not disputing the price, just his description.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Hace posted:

That was/is a upper middle class 400$ card.
The 960 will do nice looking 1080p on 60Hz monitors, without generating noticeable heat or noise or bullshit AMD issues for 200$, not an ounce more.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

sauer kraut posted:

That was/is a upper middle class 400$ card.
The 960 will do nice looking 1080p on 60Hz monitors, without generating noticeable heat or noise or bullshit AMD issues for 200$, not an ounce more.

You could also argue that it performs way too close to a 1.5 year old $250 card.

Also do we just hate all AMD hardware now or something?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Hamburger Test posted:

Taiwanese-American

So, how long did it take between 760 and 970? I'm already looking forward to the next generation, drat 144Hz monitor.

If you want a successor to the 970 it will probably be sometime late 2015 or early 2016, if you want more performance sooner and are willing to shell out some more cash there will probably be the R9 390X and a GM200-based card from Nvidia coming in the next few months.

Hace posted:

You could also argue that it performs way too close to a 1.5 year old $250 card.

I agree, I still think the R9 280X and R9 290 are a superior choice to the GTX 960 at this time. I have an MSI R9 290 and while it definitely kicks off a lot of heat it's really not that loud at all. I don't know why noise is mentioned so often with AMD cards since there's absolutely no reason to be buying one with the stock cooler at this point. If you really care about power efficiency I can see choosing the 960 but I think the vast majority of people on here care more about frame rates as long as heat and noise issues are kept within reason.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 22, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Hace posted:

Nah I just went down some rabbit hole and read AMD issues threads for 2 hours.
The ones with 280X's coming out of the box artifacting because it was pushed too far, and 290's randomly blackscreening while browsing the internet are my favorite :ohdear:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
^^ Yeah, of course the Internet is full of whiners. There were numerous NVIDIA problems too. GPUs separating from their bumps and causing batches of laptops to fail. 560 Ti drivers being broken for ages, black screens, and so on. You can find problems wherever you go. I'm sure there are others who have had a mix of AMD (ATI) and NVIDIA cards over the years and have no real problems to report, but that's not exactly worth posting about

Hace posted:

I originally described it as being unexciting, but I figured it would be a popular card anyway.. Yeah, it's not that amazing, it really does leave a gap.

I personally think a 280 or 280X is still remarkable value, but there will always be someone to say the power difference is huge.

I was negative about the prospect of the 960 before it hit, and honestly, I still think it's too slow, and has half the VRAM it needs; but I thought I'd leave my opinion out of it and post some decent reviews instead. I guess I ended up sounding too positive instead of relatively neutral.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 22, 2015

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

ASUS Strix 960 1, 2, 3.

EVGA 960

MSI 960

There's so many manufacturers and no user reviews yet! Who should I pick?

e: I thought this was the PC pickers thread.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Revitalized posted:

There's so many manufacturers and no user reviews yet! Who should I pick?

e: I thought this was the PC pickers thread.

Don't buy this GPU anyway. Save your pennies for a GTX 970 or just grab an R9-280 or 280X right now. Or even an old stock 760 for very cheap.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Hace posted:

Haha, tides turn quickly. Every month AMD doesn't have a response to something good is just bad news for a company that doesn't need bad news. Their intense price cuts were impressive but that can't be healthy. I'm saying this is a bad thing though, competition is important.

300 watts for the 390x was a big downer for me. So once nvidia incorporates HBM, what appeal will be left? More aggressive pricing is about it

I'm impressed with what the 960 can do with what it has. I figured it must though, with specs like that.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
New driver from Nvidia finally enables MFAA in pretty much all DX10&11 games instead of just the handful supported before.

I wish it would support DX9 games too, but there are some fairly old DX9 games with no support for MSAA, so I guess I understand why they didn't do that.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Besides, I really doubt that you need that extra performance for 99% of DX9 games if you already have maxwell card.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

We haven't seen what the 960 can do overclocked yet, either.

I mean, they're not numerous, but the 960 will probably be good for mini-ITX builders who don't want to go to the trouble of cooling a hotter card. It appears to be able to deliver 1080p/60 with moderate-to-high eye candy. Given how quiet and power-efficient it is, it's like the perfect high-performance HTPC/SFF GPU.

The other thing that a lot of people seem to be missing is that the 960 seems to fare moderately better in frame time analysis than its predecessors and a lot of AMD cards, so even if it's not churning out frames at an absurd rate, the ones it is turning out aren't prone to big latency spikes. That might contribute to a perception of smoother gameplay, even if the average FPS isn't vastly greater.

It's no GTX 970, but it's also $100-150 less than a GTX 970. That could be a big deal (both literally and figuratively) for the budget-constrained. The aspirational path here seems to be from a GTX 750/750Ti to one of these, not one of these to a GTX 970. Given R9 290 prices right now, it seems almost certain that we'll see a 960 Ti or something to join that battle (or a price cut on 970s, in which case the 960 starts making a lot less sense.)

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 22, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Frame-times aren't exactly a problem on anything besides like pre-GCN 1.1 AMD cards. And I don't think there's a problem of dealing with heat in super constrained ITX machines, sane people just get blower coolers.

The price of the card is only a big deal if you absolutely need GM200 at a midrange price. It doesn't really offer anything compelling outside of that and lower power usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

So is the 960 the upgrade for me? I'm coming from an old 650 that barely plays Wasteland 2 at 1080p. I only have a 400watt PSU that I really don't wanna go through the trouble of replacing. I play at 1920x1080 in most cases. Basically Stalker CoP and some Sturmovik 1942, but I want to play some GTA5 and a bit of Elite Dangerous. My only caveat is that I'd like to be able to drive an Oculus Rift when they finally come out. I don't know what the resolution on those will be but I'd like to have a playable frame rate on it.

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 23, 2015