Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't know, how many episodes of Arrow or Flash did you need to watch? Don't you also watch Supernatural?

I fundamentally disagree with your premise in the first place; The 100 just isn't lovely tv, it's at least as good as the other good stuff on the CW and better than a lot of it. But hey, like what you like I guess.

e: I'm not going to math what you saw or didn't, holy poo poo you just hate it ok man.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

raditts posted:

Well, why don't you give me a number for how many episodes of lovely television I need to watch to make an acceptable judgment.

How about just, oh I don't know, not making a "Hey this thing I barely watched loving sucks, hth" post?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

hollylolly posted:

I love Galavant and my musical hating husband is also enjoying it.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled bickering.

I, too, am enjoying Galavant. gently caress that guy for not liking puns (also I think that Lillith Fair joke is hilarious)

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
HEY HOW ABOUT YOU NOT POST IF YOURE GOING TO INSULT THE SHOWS I LIEK

YOU FUYCKER

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VDay posted:

How about just, oh I don't know, not making a "Hey this thing I barely watched loving sucks, hth" post?

How much should he watch before he's allowed to say an opinion? I disagree with the man but seven episodes seems like a fair trial.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

How much should he watch before he's allowed to say an opinion? I disagree with the man but seven episodes seems like a fair trial.

It's not that he can't hate it, it's just that he likes a couple incredibly similar shows yet hates another for seemingly no reason.

Boy I sure do love The Daily Show and The Colbert Report but I watched one episode of Last Week Tonight and gently caress that rancid garbage!

It's just confusing.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The 100 has actual good writing and characters, played by genuinely good actors, and the plot provides situations where the characters have to make actual decisions with weight. I've watched a lot of television over the years and generally i'm easily entertained for a short time, but unlike most shows the 100 is not only entertaining it's legitimate good television, and it's a pretty people sci-fi show on the CW. And so far the show has kept moving forward and been engrossing throughout.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

The 100 has teens who make bad decisions and suffer for it. Also Henry Ian Cusick.

P.S. Clarke rules

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I thought the first couple episodes of 100 were awful and they fixed poo poo later, but 5-6 episodes is a fair shot. Sometimes stuff is just not your thing.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

Gonz posted:

State of Affairs is something i've been watching to fill the espionage gap left by The Blacklist's midseason break.

Tonight's episode, at least IMO, caused State of Affairs to go from "Hahahahaha, oh boy. Jeez." to "Ehhhhhhh?". It's actually gotten....better? It's still awful, but now the story is going somewhere and it's on a grander, less terrible scale.

Got sucked into Blacklist and James Spader is so good you can't not watch, State of Affairs is not at all unwatchable to my non-TV-addicted eyes, just enough cliffhanger to get me through the week wanting to see wtf.

And for whatever reason I say this out loud every time the character get's mentioned: "Jack Dawson, Super Spy!"

I got lost for a minute on the al fatass owl moo-sorry, chic hokum deal, but then they killed that guy on the plane and that was bullwinkle, right?

I riff the show mercilessly and of all the shows with active threads why NOT this one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

eltoozero posted:

Got sucked into Blacklist and James Spader is so good you can't not watch, State of Affairs is not at all unwatchable to my non-TV-addicted eyes, just enough cliffhanger to get me through the week wanting to see wtf.

And for whatever reason I say this out loud every time the character get's mentioned: "Jack Dawson, Super Spy!"

I got lost for a minute on the al fatass owl moo-sorry, chic hokum deal, but then they killed that guy on the plane and that was bullwinkle, right?

I riff the show mercilessly and of all the shows with active threads why NOT this one.

I'm watching to see what wonderful outfits Charlie wears next week :gay:

Pretty partial to a good FPS style SEAL team mission too.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

I'm watching to see what wonderful outfits Charlie wears next week :gay:

So is the president's husband, amirite?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

I don't blame him, I gave Agents of Shield four episodes and I did not enjoy it. Later I was told to give it 17 episodes to get better. I'm not doing this because my time is valuable.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

HEY HOW ABOUT YOU NOT POST IF YOURE GOING TO INSULT THE SHOWS I LIEK

YOU FUYCKER

I'm sorry I never looked at it this way :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

I don't blame him, I gave Agents of Shield four episodes and I did not enjoy it. Later I was told to give it 17 episodes to get better. I'm not doing this because my time is valuable.

It's amazing to me that anyone managed to watch that show for long enough for that to even happen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VDay posted:

Watching 1/2 - 2/3 of a season for a show that's been on for 1-1/2 seasons is "barely watched", okay.

IRQ posted:

I don't know, how many episodes of Arrow or Flash did you need to watch? Don't you also watch Supernatural?

I fundamentally disagree with your premise in the first place; The 100 just isn't lovely tv, it's at least as good as the other good stuff on the CW and better than a lot of it. But hey, like what you like I guess.

e: I'm not going to math what you saw or didn't, holy poo poo you just hate it ok man.

I don't hate it, I just think it's a bad show, stop projecting and working yourself into a frothy rage.
I will freely admit to watching bad shows (most of them in common with you, in fact), but I'm sure not going to hold them up as some masterpiece of television and flip out on anyone who just plain thinks they're bad. I think The 100 has bad acting and squanders its premise, it could be post-apocalyptic Lord of the Flies but it felt more like post-apocalyptic Dawsons Creek, and it seemed like the characters were more focused on their high school Teenager Problems like "does the cute boy like me" than the fact that they were in the middle of the loving wilderness with limited supplies, no backup, and a tribe of natives who had no qualms about wiping them out. Sorry, just couldn't get behind it, my apologies for besmirching the honor of your beloved CW show.

To answer your other questions:
- I thought Arrow was garbage too and quit watching it after the first half or so of the season, then caught an episode later in the season when there was nothing else on and thought it was a lot better and have watched it since. You know, just like I did with this show.
- Flash I've liked since the pilot, even though it's kind of rough.
- Supernatural I probably would never have watched if it wasn't on Netflix and my wife was binging through it because she has a higher tolerance for bad shows than I do). I didn't really get on board with it until somewhere in the second season, but I went back to watch the first season and it was pretty rough too. I would never call it a good show because there are multiple entire seasons of the show that are borderline unwatchable, but I have a soft spot for pulpy trash. Not so much teenage drama. Again, my apologies that I do not 100% enjoy the same shows you do, for things that may actually be valid reasons. But to claim I didn't give it a fair shot is total horseshit.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Bown posted:

It's amazing to me that anyone managed to watch that show for long enough for that to even happen.

I dropped it after four also, but knowing there's a definite turning point in quality is a good incentive to watch, and I didn't totally hate it at the beginning, it was just kind of bearably mediocre and I liked enough of the character interactions to pick it back up when I could binge through on Netflix. It payed off well since the last third of season 1 and all of season 2 have just been ball-out fun and it's turned into an actual proper spy/action thriller.

(Also being a big fan of Hickman's Secret Warriors is great since they take a lot of inspiration from that particular comic run. It's almost like a sneaky re-imagining of it in a television format.)

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 22, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

X-Files kept it to season finales and premiers mostly, but it's the first thing I remember really doing the overarching plot arc thing (until it got lovely). The bulk of it was MotW stuff, like Fringe, for people who are literal babies like Ravane. Stop making me feel old you fucker. Lost was a different animal, in that it was aware that it had a greater narrative in mind, until it actually turned out it didn't.

X-Files is worth revisiting (or visiting) for some of its really outstanding episodes, but as a whole I can't say it's worth a full watch. Fortunately there are plenty of lists of what's great, though tbh the mythology episodes don't rank among them in 2015 in my opinion.

e: that is to say that the X-Files' standout moments are in one-off MotW episodes like Home or Darkness Falls rather than Lost's focus on each season having a story to tell.

Catching up with the thread, but I am in fact doing a rewatch (an episode every few days or so).

Good god this show holds up. There's a level of craft, of non child hand holding, of care that makes each episode seem like a long lost mid-budgeted spooky movie from the early 90s. There isn't any of the self-referential, TV trope thing (focusing on the main character's quips, the actual plot and victims being a secondary thought, obsession with continuity) that a lot of TV shows have spiraled into.

Mulder and Scully are impressive professionals, and the way they interact with each other and the larger world comes off as just right. I'm only a few episodes into Season 1, but its been a lot of fun so far. Hope the mythology thing doesn't stop it in its tracks.

I'm a fan of Fringe. But Fringe doesn't hold a candle to X-Files (and the crazy amount of talent behind and in front of the camera, really excited by the upcoming Darin Morgan eps).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't think any show nailed the MOTW format as well as X-Files did, in its early seasons at least.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
For those of you who were curious about Transparent, don't have Amazon Prime, and you have nothing to do this Saturday, Amazon is making the whole series free to stream for that day only.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Shageletic posted:

There isn't any of the self-referential, TV trope thing (focusing on the main character's quips, the actual plot and victims being a secondary thought, obsession with continuity)

I'd go even further and say that it's absolutley anti-continuity. Ignoring the alien mythos, there's no way the mixture of weird and wonderful things that happen fit together in a world-building way at all, and it's all the stronger for it. It means they could do whatever they wanted on a week-to-week basis. Like you say, every episode could be its own mini-movie. It makes it the perfect show to find a random top ten episodes list for and cherry-pick your way through them on Netflix.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Lycus posted:

I thought the first couple episodes of 100 were awful and they fixed poo poo later, but 5-6 episodes is a fair shot. Sometimes stuff is just not your thing.

Yeah once they get past the stupidity of the initial premise and start focusing on world building the show improves immensely. In terms of top to bottom quality, I think it's The CW's best show. Though I've yet to watch any Jane the Virgin and I guess there's a case for that show too.

Edit: Trailer's out for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, featuring multiple 30 Rock vets. I'm excited for this one, and glad it won't be a sacrificial lamb on NBC.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 22, 2015

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

DivisionPost posted:

For those of you who were curious about Transparent, don't have Amazon Prime, and you have nothing to do this Saturday, Amazon is making the whole series free to stream for that day only.

Watch Transparent guys, it's a pretty good especially for free.

e: While you're there watch The Man In The High Castle pilot too.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 22, 2015

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

it looks like a really silly show with very odd characters, but in the best way.

Also That character is Jenna Maroney, calling it now :colbert:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Having watched this trailer, I can pretty much see why NBC passed on it, while you can make it work someplace where ratings don't matter as much. You can't on one of the big Four at the moment.

While I like the 100 a ton, I can understand why people don't. I look at it as maybe one of the best post-apocalyptic/dystonian futures ever put to film. Not a lot of tv and films are willing to go to the death of the human race level.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zedd posted:

it looks like a really silly show with very odd characters, but in the best way.

Also That character is Jenna Maroney, calling it now :colbert:
At least there's going to be a second season, right?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

eltoozero posted:

Got sucked into Blacklist and James Spader is so good you can't not watch

By season two even Spaderman can't carry the programme. Which is a real shame. It turns the creepy fascist government agent poo poo up to eleven, and the central conceit of the programme kind of falls apart.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That Kimmy Schmidt trailer looks awful but I still hold out lots of hope for the actual show being great.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

By season two even Spaderman can't carry the programme. Which is a real shame. It turns the creepy fascist government agent poo poo up to eleven, and the central conceit of the programme kind of falls apart.

Explains why I so easily got sucked into SoA, which I will still defend as a brainless drama worth watching.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Totally agree with the above expressed skepticism of The 100. Tried a bunch of episodes and it was more whiny angsty teen bullshit than cool New World Problems.

Please give us the 2-3 best episodes of The 100 so we can try again. We really wanted to like it, but couldn't get over the hump. And this is from people who were ok with Buffy and Veronica Mars.

Same applies to SHIELD. Please give us a few episodes that will have us craving more. Thanks.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

If you watched up to and including episode 5 of the first season of The 100 and didn't like it I don't think it can convince you anymore, considering that was probably the big high points of that season and that point the show declared it actually wasn't loving around. It gets better from that point on IMO, and if you weren't convinced I doubt continuing on would help. Them's the breaks sometimes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

So it looks like for the Supergirl CBS series, they cast Melissa Benoist (Glee) as Supergirl. Still super confused if the show is supposed to be Arrow/Flash continuity or not, since the crew behind it is, CBS/WB/CW trickery means crossovers are possible, I think the character description is at odds with it though, because Superman existing or not is up in the air in this show.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
So there's no Empire thread for me to complain about how much worse the second ep was compared to the pilot, but enough about that: After debuting to a 3.8 (which is a fantastic number anywhere and not just on Fox) it has since grown to 4.0 last week and 4.3 last night to make it the highest-rated drama telecast in a year. I honestly can't remember a show with already-big ratings steadily growing week-to-week (other than TWD of course). The fact that it's happening to a mid-season drama in the dead of January is even more remarkable.

You can all go back to arguing about CW shows now, just thought I'd let you know :shobon:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We should have a ratings thread this season. Or do we have one and I've just missed it this whole time?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Occ keeps putting off making a new one because he doesn't want to update his OP. Which I suppose means it's fair play if someone else wants to step up.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

So there's no Empire thread for me to complain about how much worse the second ep was compared to the pilot, but enough about that: After debuting to a 3.8 (which is a fantastic number anywhere and not just on Fox) it has since grown to 4.0 last week and 4.3 last night to make it the highest-rated drama telecast in a year. I honestly can't remember a show with already-big ratings steadily growing week-to-week (other than TWD of course). The fact that it's happening to a mid-season drama in the dead of January is even more remarkable.

It makes a little sense from the perspective that it's a fantastic idea for a TV show that would be incredibly hard to pull off, with the pilot suggesting that they might actually be able to do it. Hopefully it's not like The Walking Dead where the pilot shows more promise than the show is ever able to get near again. But, yeah, surprising.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

The trailer wasn't half-bad, this looks decently funny, but the only thing I have a problem with is about how long she's been in that bunker. Her speech and mannerisms are very modern, and it seems a bit strange given her background.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sober posted:

So it looks like for the Supergirl CBS series, they cast Melissa Benoist (Glee) as Supergirl. Still super confused if the show is supposed to be Arrow/Flash continuity or not, since the crew behind it is, CBS/WB/CW trickery means crossovers are possible, I think the character description is at odds with it though, because Superman existing or not is up in the air in this show.

I would say this is going to suck but Grant Gustin is pretty good so go for it. I think John's wants it in the Arrow/Flash continuity while CBS wants to wait a season for that.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

I would say this is going to suck but Grant Gustin is pretty good so go for it. I think John's wants it in the Arrow/Flash continuity while CBS wants to wait a season for that.
Honestly I'm fine with wait and see on a crossover, but if they keep it in the same continuity, no Superman is probably more interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If CBS wants to bring in younger viewers, that's a way to do it. The crossover episodes for Arrow/Flash were each show's best rated episodes.

• Locked thread