Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

what the gently caress is a vegan strip club?

horrifyingly, some strip clubs serve food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Syncopated posted:

by even worse you do mean even better, right?

if by better you mean "9,600 unemployed people and 400 getting paid," sure. automation would be a good thing if the workers getting automated weren't just told to get the gently caress out.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vegans are all terrible people and one that owns a strip clup couldn't be anything other than the worst in the world

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Portland does have a unusually high number of strip clubs. Where I used to live (Multohomah Village area) there were three clubs within walking distance and my area was a pretty well off area with high median home prices. One place proudly had a sign that read "Sichuan Food" in addition to the dancers. I guess instead of the usual Steak fare at the Acropolis you can get some mapo tofu during a dancer's set.

Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

Portland does have a unusually high number of strip clubs. Where I used to live (Multohomah Village area) there were three clubs within walking distance and my area was a pretty well off area with high median home prices. One place proudly had a sign that read "Sichuan Food" in addition to the dancers. I guess instead of the usual Steak fare at the Acropolis you can get some mapo tofu during a dancer's set.

White people are trashy human garbage, what a surprise

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sonatinas posted:

Portland does have a unusually high number of strip clubs. Where I used to live (Multohomah Village area) there were three clubs within walking distance and my area was a pretty well off area with high median home prices. One place proudly had a sign that read "Sichuan Food" in addition to the dancers.

chinese food goes with everything though

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Condiv posted:

i guess that's why we can't get the democrats to raise taxes on the rich, their economic advisers are ultracapitalist shills

looking at his past work, it seems reasonable. "increasing the minimum wage doesn't (always) increase unemployment", "tax breaks for big oil are approximately worthless". idk

Apr 7, 2003

I support strip clubs in theory, because they're one of the few methods of income distribution from well-off old men to young people. every one I've been to is just gross and skeevy though.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

quote:

These gross earnings don't account for the considerable costs drivers pay to deploy their own cars as modern-day taxis.

Sure, these numbers are entirely dishonest and completely ignore basic business accounting, namely sales - running expenses = actual profit, but let's bang the war drum for capitalism and investor story time because poo poo's looking just fine for the mafia company.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

what the gently caress is a vegan strip club?

edit: oh, this got answered while i wasn't checking out the new page :doh:

Apr 7, 2003

Maluco Marinero posted:

Sure, these numbers are entirely dishonest and completely ignore basic business accounting, namely sales - running expenses = actual profit, but let's bang the war drum for capitalism and investor story time because poo poo's looking just fine for the mafia company.

that reminds me. it's tax season. I'm so hard

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ugh, im gonna have to pay state income taxes this year., what a load of crap

Apr 7, 2003

Can someone estimate what percentage of Uber drivers were doing their 1099 taxes properly? anyone?

Apr 7, 2003

http://www.reddit.com/r/uberdrivers/comments/2t3v2u/is_this_real_life/

Uber in Los Angeles after most recent price cuts:
Over an hour drive. One toll. Almost 58 Miles. $50.79 after Ubers cut.
Fuggggg

[–]acewarlock 3 points 1 day ago
Don't get the complaint. You made $50/hour for that hour. Surely this is better than most hours you had under the old fares.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shaggar posted:

vegans are all terrible people and one that owns a strip clup couldn't be anything other than the worst in the world

shaggar was right

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

uber did an economic analysis with alan kreuger

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...%80%8B/?hpid=z4

some choice excerpts

so, i don't know much about economists, but this kreuger guy sounds like a shill and a tool. people are taking a second job cause they want to? are you loving retarded? almost no-one enjoys working their first job, much less driving around some jackass who just barfed all over their upholstery at 2am

i do know that he used to work for obummer

i guess that's why we can't get the democrats to raise taxes on the rich, their economic advisers are ultracapitalist shills

kreuger doesn't normally seem that shill-ish, but it looks like he was brought on to do that research by uber's senior vice president of policy and strategy, who happens to be david plouffe, who was obama's campaign manager and then "senior adviser to the president" for a while. so it could be a favor for a friend, or the revolving door starting to turn

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

kreuger doesn't normally seem that shill-ish, but it looks like he was brought on to do that research by uber's senior vice president of policy and strategy, who happens to be david plouffe, who was obama's campaign manager and then "senior adviser to the president" for a while. so it could be a favor for a friend, or the revolving door starting to turn

what? obama granting favors to unqualified donors? noooooooooooooo

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

don't forget that rahm emanuel's brother ari owns a chunk of uber

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

duTrieux. posted:

if artificial intelligence is ever good enough to replace basic blue-collar workers (e.g. drivers, factory, basic service, dock-hands, etc.) there will either be a universal income or bloody class war with the rich deploying automated police buzzsaws

my body is ready

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
laffo

quote:

The analysis shows that Uber's drivers in the United States collectively received $656.8 million in payments from the company in the last three months of 2014 (that translated in October to about $17.79 an hour in Washington, and $30.35 in New York). The taxi earnings in comparison — which reflect net income, not gross earnings — come from Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics.

they're comparing uber drivers' gross income to taxi drivers' net incom

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dont go to the lunch buffet

Citizen Tayne posted:

every one I've been to is just gross and skeevy though.

man youd love the cricket lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Main Paineframe posted:

laffo

they're comparing uber drivers' gross income to taxi drivers' net incom

and on average uberers only make $6 an hour over regular taxi drivers (when you compare uber driver gross earnings to taxi driver net income)

i'll give you 3 guesses why they didn't bother calculating net income for uberers

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
Guess 1: they don't actually collect any information that would help them generate a net income because why would they give a gently caress?

uber drivers probably can't figure out how to do it either

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

guess 3: because then the article wouldn't work

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Wells posted:

Guess 1: they don't actually collect any information that would help them generate a net income because why would they give a gently caress?

uber drivers probably can't figure out how to do it either

Ding ding ding. 1- they don't have the data, and 2, if they had the data they wouldnt want to publish the data. It would be plain as day that Uber is economically no better, and likely worse for drivers and riders alike.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Main Paineframe posted:

countdown to obama retiring to an executive role at uber or some other lovely exploitative startup

its about time we did away with the outdated and unnecessary tradition of former presidents not becoming robber barons after they leave office

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't Bush basically a robber baron before he entered office

there was something something about owning a baseball team or some poo poo, i cant imagine that's normal people money

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the bushes are Old Money

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Citizen Tayne posted:

transferring money from rich dirty old men to young people

I also don't understand why anyone would ever want to go to a strip club, but you make a good point here

Apr 7, 2003

Wulfolme posted:

Wasn't Bush basically a robber baron before he entered office

there was something something about owning a baseball team or some poo poo, i cant imagine that's normal people money

The baseball team was essentially a sinecure gig to keep him busy so he wouldn't gently caress up the rest of the family's business.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Maluco Marinero posted:

Ding ding ding. 1- they don't have the data, and 2, if they had the data they wouldnt want to publish the data. It would be plain as day that Uber is economically no better, and likely worse for drivers and riders alike.

they could've got the data if they wanted to by inviting a sample group of drivers to have their net income measured in exchange for a bonus or something. god knows they were able to rope their drivers into other more retarded poo poo like delivering kittens or lovely icecream so it's really #2.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

qirex posted:

also

e: cremnob favorite carl icahn still loving with them too

Is there a good article out there explaining what exactly Ichan is doing and how splitting up Ebay benefits him? I'm dumb and don't understand what's going on here.

Apr 7, 2003

vodkat posted:

I also don't understand why anyone would ever want to go to a strip club, but you make a good point here

The breastaurant industry is even worse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

the bushes are Old Money

that old time baked bean money

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Condiv posted:

they could've got the data if they wanted to by inviting a sample group of drivers to have their net income measured in exchange for a bonus or something. god knows they were able to rope their drivers into other more retarded poo poo like delivering kittens or lovely icecream so it's really #2.

The data doesn't exist until those uber drivers have completed their taxes and boy is that going to be a fun collision with today's underfunded irs

looking forward to the articles in april about uber ~disrupting~ taxes

Apr 7, 2003

UberJew posted:

The data doesn't exist until those uber drivers have completed their taxes and boy is that going to be a fun collision with today's underfunded irs

looking forward to the articles in april about uber ~disrupting~ taxes

I'm fully erect and it's only going to get harder the closer we get to April.

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

Condiv posted:

What's the benefit for them gathering the data? how does it increase their profits? They could have gotten the data if they spent money and time collecting it, but that doesn't really give them anything useful in the realm of making more money.

I guess what I'm saying is don't missattribute this to intentional deception. it's just lazy+greedy

also the bit about tori's penus

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm fully erect and it's only going to get harder the closer we get to April.

yes I cant wait to watch the irs spend more money than it gets trying to prosecute individual uber drivers.

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
doesn't the IRS go after business that really abuse the 1099 thing? or is that just a trauma induced delusion I have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

yes I cant wait to watch the irs spend more money than it gets trying to prosecute individual uber drivers.

• Locked thread