Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Goodchild posted:

Same here, this has been a good thread, with many delicious roguelike treats. Caves of Qud however stands at the pinnacle. Sproggiwood admittedly was not my thing, so I'm pretty psyched that Qud is getting some more love. Going to be putting many hours in so I'll be in shape for the eventual Steam release.

Yeah, same here.

Splatted three guys so far, why do I always forget how bad I am at roguelikes? :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't know if this is something that would interest you guys, but I made a little pen-and-paper, rules-light roguelike game, and I'd love to get some playtesting from people who have experience with roguelikes, and/or breaking mechanics over their knees.

The Labyrinth of S'xsyde

Edit Updated to version 1.02.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 21, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't know if this is something that would interest you guys, but I made a little pen-and-paper, rules-light roguelike game, and I'd love to get some playtesting from people who have experience with roguelikes, and/or breaking mechanics over their knees.

The Labyrinth of S'xsyde

This looks really, really neat and I'll probably play it a few times when I get home. Hell, I might tinker with it on lunch break. It's kinda like a procedural Fighting Fantasy book, and I played way too many of those as a kid.

Did you post this somewhere in the traditional games forum? You can get some fantastic feedback in there.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Question about Caves of Qud. I can't find the game listed on my windows PC under programs and features and I'm looking to uninstall it for the moment. Is it ok to just delete the game file from my computer?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

Question about Caves of Qud. I can't find the game listed on my windows PC under programs and features and I'm looking to uninstall it for the moment. Is it ok to just delete the game file from my computer?

Yeah, that's just fine. (you monster)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Unormal posted:

Yeah, that's just fine. (you monster)

Don't take it the wrong way. I'm just doing some spring cleaning and Caves isn't anything I'm playing too heavily right now. I'm really trying to progress more in Frozen Depths and Brogue right now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

This looks really, really neat and I'll probably play it a few times when I get home. Hell, I might tinker with it on lunch break. It's kinda like a procedural Fighting Fantasy book, and I played way too many of those as a kid.

Did you post this somewhere in the traditional games forum? You can get some fantastic feedback in there.
I posted it in the Board Game thread and the Board Game Design thread, and I'm getting some good feedback there (namely, that chest spawns are a little wonky and a little too difficult to open).

Been playtesting the Knight again, and he's rolling over combat encounters, but rapidly gets completely hosed up by traps. Two of my last three tests with him ended on the first floor by falling down a hole and dying. So, working as intended? :confuoot:

Edit Version 1.02, with modified Chest tables and a couple other minor tweaks (including a buff to the armor rules) is live!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 21, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Poison Mushroom posted:

Been playtesting the Knight again, and he's rolling over combat encounters, but rapidly gets completely hosed up by traps. Two of my last three tests with him ended on the first floor by falling down a hole and dying. So, working as intended? :confuoot:
Depends on whether your knight is named Dirk the Daring

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

My first game, I made an Archer, walked two rooms, and immediately got smeared across the walls by an out-of-depth Black Knight (I rolled a 13 on the monster table :stonk:)

Seems pretty true to the genre so far :haw:

e: this game makes for some tense/funny narratives sometimes. I barely made it out of a flooding room (tied the roll twice and narrowly won on the third) and then immediately stepped on exploding tiles and took damage. D'oh!!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 22, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
by the way Ziggurat is on sale and it owns and if you dont like it then you dont like video games in my opinion

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I do not like games. Qud is not a game, it is a life style.

The 4 player co op rogue like is really cool, but please don't let it get in the way of me giving you guys this horde of water in exchange for Steam Qud. Thank you.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Eonwe posted:

by the way Ziggurat is on sale and it owns and if you dont like it then you dont like video games in my opinion

Its a pretty fun Hexen Roguelike and people should check it out at least. :getin:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I do not like games. Qud is not a game, it is a life style.

The 4 player co op rogue like is really cool, but please don't let it get in the way of me giving you guys this horde of water in exchange for Steam Qud. Thank you.

Naw, tiled steamqud is happening without equivocation. The multiplayer stuff is just me doing very preliminary tinkering and technical trials, I wouldn't expect to be in SeriousDevelopment on it until late this year.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Eonwe posted:

Thyrork posted:

Its a pretty fun Hexen Roguelike and people should check it out at least. :getin:

Thirded'd. I picked it up during the winter sale and have finally been playing it. It's very pretty, you foom apart all sorts of bad guys and tool around dungeons looking for secret doors and treasure. If you're in this thread and have even a passing appreciation for shooting things via computer-device, go play.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Fourthed. It's the only first person roguelike that actually gets that description right. I don't feel like I'm limited in my first person physics/movement, but the number of enemies and pickups is perfectly consistent with what I expect to get in any given dungeon floor and I'm forced to always move and re-decide how to attack a particular set of enemies. It might be a little on the easy side, and the enemy variety might need a little improvement but it's fun. So fun.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I thought it was a decent game that could be great with more enemy and weapon variety. There's tons of interesting level up mods to unlock, but the enemy roster isn't big enough to sustain interest through a ton of playthroughs.

Weapons lack impact too, which is a big sin in fps games.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

I posted it in the Board Game thread and the Board Game Design thread, and I'm getting some good feedback there (namely, that chest spawns are a little wonky and a little too difficult to open).

Edit Version 1.02, with modified Chest tables and a couple other minor tweaks (including a buff to the armor rules) is live!

Just got my first win with the Barbarian on difficulty 1. There were a lot of close calls and I had to think carefully about how to use my resources, which is a good sign. Some of the boss fights were extremely difficult despite my towering mass of HP and hellishly high Tough, so I have no idea how the nerd classes are supposed to handle those - I clawed my way out of the Owlbear battle with 1HP left, and that was armed with chain mail and a greatsword and after using a restore potion. The Vampire in particular seems like it could be straight up impossible to beat without some incredibly good gear or just inhuman amounts of brute strength due to going Knight or Barbarian and only ever raising Tough.

There were some pretty entertaining moments in that run. I found a Greatsword on floor 2 and proceeded to massacre everything in sight with it, eventually becoming so swole that absolutely none of the mathematically possible monster encounters were capable of hurting me ever, with the exception of the Iron Golem which could only damage me on snake eyes. Even so, my spectacularly stupid Barbarian was never safe; traps did a fair bit of damage and obstacles were my goddamn bane due to my brilliant 1 Clever. I swear I lost over a dozen items to those drat things, including being stripped of literally everything I owned immediately after the Final Guardian and having to tear my way through the Escape in a hellstorm of berserk fisticuffs (during which I acquired and then lost four more items). The Escape itself was amazingly tense and stressful at first, with unlucky doubles bringing the collapse frighteningly close to my angry naked adventurer, but I eventually picked up a good lead and from there I just cruised to victory on sheer muscle.

It was a lot of fun and I'm probably going to play it some more tonight. I'll post my impressions of the different classes and whatnot when I've tried more of them.

edit: one of the funniest things that happened in that run was when I found magic armour and then promptly fell down a spiked pit, but got mad at the spikes and took 0 damage thanks to the armour combined with my Barbarian ability. Then I lost my sweet rear end armour to an obstacle on the next floor :saddowns:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 22, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

victrix posted:

I thought it was a decent game that could be great with more enemy and weapon variety. There's tons of interesting level up mods to unlock, but the enemy roster isn't big enough to sustain interest through a ton of playthroughs.

Weapons lack impact too, which is a big sin in fps games.

Yeah. Ziggurat gets most things right except the weapons and they're kind of important for an FPS. They are all basically the same. Hexen and Heretic had interesting secondary fires (through tomes) - in Ziggurat everything is either a machine gun or a shotgun with different projectile speeds and the secondary fire is always "more shotgun" and "more machine gun". It's utterly boring, especially if you've just completed a Hexen/Heretic marathon before and the way to do it right is fresh in your memory.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mystery Dungeon style roguelike question. Is there any reason to play the first Izuna game rather than just skip ahead to the second one? I've played the hell out of Shiren the Wanderer, and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, so I'm looking for something else portable.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Mystery Dungeon style roguelike question. Is there any reason to play the first Izuna game rather than just skip ahead to the second one? I've played the hell out of Shiren the Wanderer, and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, so I'm looking for something else portable.

Other than it being a pretty good game not really.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Necrodancer Update:

quote:

- Steam Trading cards! Collect them to gain access to NecroDancer emoticons, backgrounds, and badge!
- Added new items: glass jaw, blast helm, sunglasses, coupon, holy water
- Added six passive ‘charms': Frost, Gluttony, Nazar, Protection, Risk, and Strength
- Changed jeweled dagger. It now does 5 damage and doesn’t give any extra gold on kills
- Active/live bombs can no longer be transmuted
- Added white mimic chests that run away from you
- Made Ring of Courage do +1 damage
- Made crossbows do phasing/piercing damage
- Made the Blood Drum only take away 1/2 heart per use
- Removed Boots of Speed from the game for now, sadly!
- changed profile system to give option to wipe if save_data.xml files doesn't exist
- fixed bug where mod music wouldn't load on Windows
- fixed issue where deleted custom songs were causing crashes again
- changed profile system to give option to wipe if save_data.xml files doesn't exist
- Fixed bug where enchant scroll could sometimes give you gold (and kill Monk)
- Made the Deep Blues King not try to castle after he has been hit
- Gave Eli a regular shovel, instead of Crystal one. He can already blow up walls with bombs!
- Using the Scroll of Need with zero coins now gives you a COUPON item instead of coins
- Removed Boots of Pain, Ring of Gold, and Blast Helm from Eli’s item pool
- Fixed bug where enemies were sometimes frozen on your next run after a victory
- Fixed bug where Cloud Save pop-up was sometimes improperly scaled
- Made it impossible to die of Cowardice in the lobby
- Made monstrous shopkeeper significantly rarer and let him actually leave the shop

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm working on Version 1.03 right now, doing a major overhaul of the tables, and normalizing the difficulty somewhat, as well as improving the formatting of the rules pages. Once that's done, and I've let the ideas get tested a fair bit more, 1.04 will probably mostly be class rebalancing, and then I'll likely put new updates on the backburner for a while. I have some other ideas for similar games that have been coalescing since I started S'xsyde, and I wanna give those a shake, too.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm working on Version 1.03 right now, doing a major overhaul of the tables, and normalizing the difficulty somewhat, as well as improving the formatting of the rules pages. Once that's done, and I've let the ideas get tested a fair bit more, 1.04 will probably mostly be class rebalancing, and then I'll likely put new updates on the backburner for a while. I have some other ideas for similar games that have been coalescing since I started S'xsyde, and I wanna give those a shake, too.

Is S'xsyde from "six side" or "dSexy's"?

The game looks neat. Is there any actual maze or can you just decide how much of each floor you want to explore (11-25 spaces, assuming you leave 11 for the way out)?

I think the blacking out rules need fixing: "black out each square in a cardinal direction from all blacked out squares" should probably be "black out each square adjacent to a blacked out square", clarifying "adjacent" if needed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rchandra posted:

Is S'xsyde from "six side" or "dSexy's"?

The game looks neat. Is there any actual maze or can you just decide how much of each floor you want to explore (11-25 spaces, assuming you leave 11 for the way out)?

I think the blacking out rules need fixing: "black out each square in a cardinal direction from all blacked out squares" should probably be "black out each square adjacent to a blacked out square", clarifying "adjacent" if needed.
The former. Six comes up a lot in the rules, too. Six floors, six difficulty levels, six classes (originally), etc.

You can decide. Beelining is the path of least resistance, and is useful if you need the boss-beat HP increase or the stat boost, but meandering around gives better odds of finding chests, if you're confident you can handle the obstacles in your way between them.

I'll rework that whole section, make that clearer.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'll suck your dick if you develop this into a full multiplayer boardgame. Or pay you. Your choice.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

rchandra posted:

I feel that "cardinal direction" is much more clear than "adjacent", since some readers will wonder if diagonal counts as adjacent. "Black out each square in a cardinal direction from all blacked out squares." is unambiguous.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:syoon:

madjackmcmad posted:

I feel that "cardinal direction" is much more clear than "adjacent", since some readers will wonder if diagonal counts as adjacent. "Black out each square in a cardinal direction from all blacked out squares." is unambiguous.
Welp. :v:

Labyrinth of S'xsyde v1.03! With exciting new features like "intuitive table layout", "competent formatting" and "different opening image". I did a pretty massive overhaul of the Monster, Trap, and Obstacle tables so they're more consistent now, and simplified the HP-gaining rules. The game is a bit easier, but that's what the difficulty slider is for. I think this is going to be the last "main" update unless something major jumps out that needs fixing.

Edit I had a lot of fun coming up with the new trap names, too. The ultimate trap is now The Red Room. :black101:

Edit2 Which is very likely to get its own spinoff game, because it'd be a good way to use all these "make a dungeon to horribly murdercate heroes" game ideas I've got.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 23, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I'm ready to test it! I even have the right stuff to test controllers on Android. :v:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm ready to test it! I even have the right stuff to test controllers on Android. :v:

Oh god, is that a thing? :gonk:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Oh god, is that a thing? :gonk:

Yeah, since Android 2.3 I think, there's been native support for wired USB controllers (particularly Xbox 360 type, including wireless 360 attached to a PC wireless adapter for them) and then in 4.0 there was added native bluetooth controller support (particularly PS3 controllers).

I happen to have wired controllers and my S4 has a cheapo Chinese USB port thing that lets you charge at the same time you use the phone as a usb host (and send video out over hdmi!).

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah, since Android 2.3 I think, there's been native support for wired USB controllers (particularly Xbox 360 type, including wireless 360 attached to a PC wireless adapter for them) and then in 4.0 there was added native bluetooth controller support (particularly PS3 controllers).

I happen to have wired controllers and my S4 has a cheapo Chinese USB port thing that lets you charge at the same time you use the phone as a usb host (and send video out over hdmi!).

Well, I guess we'll quickly find out how well/horribly cInput responds to that. I should have the google play beta setup next week.

e: ~471,600 small black slimes splattered in Sproggiwood.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 23, 2015

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Labyrinth of S'xsyde v1.03! With exciting new features like "intuitive table layout", "competent formatting" and "different opening image". I did a pretty massive overhaul of the Monster, Trap, and Obstacle tables so they're more consistent now, and simplified the HP-gaining rules. The game is a bit easier, but that's what the difficulty slider is for. I think this is going to be the last "main" update unless something major jumps out that needs fixing.

Poison are you cool with this being shared outside of the goon forums? Because it's really neat and I think some Dungeonfans would get a kick out of it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Poison are you cool with this being shared outside of the goon forums? Because it's really neat and I think some Dungeonfans would get a kick out of it.
Go for it! Hell, link me to wherever you post it so I can anonymously lurk and see what people say about my nonsense.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Go for it! Hell, link me to wherever you post it so I can anonymously lurk and see what people say about my nonsense.

Do you have a website where you could put up a landing page? "Hey here's my game S'xsyde, it's a pen and paper solo roguelike about being cool and rolling dice, here's some bullshit that can happen to you, downloooooooooooad pl0x"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No, but I've been thinking I should set one up, anyways. For all my dumb games. Gimme a few hours, I'll have a blogspot or something.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Unormal does more on each of his 100,000 projects in a day than I do on my combined 3 projects in a week. Someone punch me in the face.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Belding posted:

Unormal does more on each of his 100,000 projects in a day than I do on my combined 3 projects in a week. Someone punch me in the face.

Eh, I just make sure to carve out at least 2 hours every day to do game stuff. I try to turn it into more if I can, but often I can't with other obligations. Just making sure you do it every day, rain or shine, even if you don't feel inspired, adds up fast. The hardest part for me is just breaking through my natural propensity towards procrastination, and having a period of time that I know I'm just going to sit down and do something (anything) helps bust that down. If I'm feeling really out of it/not into it, I let myself work on something fun like new game prototyping, as long as it's something.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Consistency and persistence > inspiration and brilliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Don't gently caress with chrome pyramids. Just don't. It's just not worth trying.