Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

Children of Chiron message board FAQ posted:

1. Are you crazy?

We did volunteer for a one-way interstellar mission to colonize an alien world, so, probably yes.

2. Are your kids crazy?

We hope not.

3. No, but seriously, do you really believe there's something special about your munchkins?

Despite me answering these questions in the royal "we", I cannot actually speak for everyone on these boards. Some people worry about their kids health, mental or otherwise. Some are just vaguely fascinated and unsure if something is really going on. Some are thinking about joining Stepchildren of Gaia on the grounds that their children are talking with "the Planet".

4. Ah, so this is the place to come gush about all the adorable things my kid does, then?

No. There are other forums for that.
Come talk to us if your kids know things they shouldn't know about, having never been outside the colony domes (Adult poo poo your neighbour probably talked about : doesn't count. The colours of fungal blooms during monsoon season storms? Right up our alley). Come talk to us if your kids' moods noticeably change throughout the year, following the lifecycle stages of local critters. Come talk to us if your kids claim to have had vivid dreams of xenofungal forests since before they could talk.

5. Ok, yes, I've heard creepy/weird/seemingly unexplainable stuff from my child, but that's just kids repeating poo poo they heard at the creche or from other adults, right?

Could be. Could be not. These things are difficult to check for, and most of us aren't trained psychologists or sociologists or whatever. We're just concerned parents sharing our stories.

6. So, basically, no one knows anything and you're here to gush about all the creepy poo poo your kids do, then?

Actually, we've recently managed to confirm something! Several forum members kept detailed open diaries of their kids' dream stories, and a month ago our new member Coyolxauhqui posted several charts of observed xenofungus lifecycles for the last couple of years (they work at a lab that deals with this stuff). Comparing those charts with the dream diaries shows that vivid dreams start when "fungal blooms" appear, intensify along with them, and when the blooming fades, dreams almost completely disappear until the next lifecycle (check this thread for details).

7. And you trust this poster on an anonymous message board why?

Ok, you caught us. It's all in our heads. Nothing to see here, move along.

Lokapala fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

FredMSloniker posted:

Subject: Cooperative ventures
To: Asa Wright <ceo@lovelace.com>

I'd love to talk shop! I admit that our expertise lies more in software than hardware, and I believe an arrangement where you build the VR hardware and we write the code to run on it would benefit both our companies. If you'd like, I can show you around Dreamland Games, have you talk to some of the guys so you know we aren't just blue-skying, and we can go from there.

Sincerely,
Fred M. Sloniker
Dreamland Games
'We make your dreams come true'

P.S.: If you're interested in checking out our products, just set up an account with us and let me know what your username is. I can arrange for a couple of months of Premium membership gratis. :D

Subject: Que?
To: Exekiel Carson <ecarson@morganenterprises.com>

While I'm flattered that you would invite me to what will, no doubt, be a fascinating display, I have to admit I'm not sure why you think it's relative to my interests. Dreamland Games is a software developer focusing on developing compelling multiplayer entertainment using the latest technology. We are not involved in biotechnology, personal defense, or any other industry that might require us to have extensive information on mindworms. Indeed, the many and varied enemies you can face in our games very deliberately have passing resemblance to actual Chiron wildlife at best. We aim to offer an escape from reality, after all.

Sincerely,
Fred M. Sloniker
Dreamland Games

I honestly don't actually know why I included you on that. :psyduck: Names ugh.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
TO: Atlas Neuroscience Senior Staff
SUBJECT: RE: Atlas Neuroscience Quarterly Report

Dear all,

First of all, great job on beating last year's profits by over 10%. With this kind of growth Atlas Neuroscience will be a formidable player in the corporate world long after we're all six foot under. I'll make sure the appropriate paychecks are handed out - you all deserve a little something extra for the hard work you've put in over the years.

That being said, I can't help but be a little concerned about the progress of our R&D division. It's all well and good focusing on ways to effectively shield minds against alien attack, but we have to remember we're scientists! Surely we've found more about the manifold secrets of the human brain during our studies than what we've found so far. I understand, breakthroughs come any time they drat well please and it can be hard to say for certain when you have something nailed down, but we're a selection of the finest minds on earth still sensible enough to know we need governance!

Now, credit where it's due, I can't believe I'm actually saying "I want the human brain completely solved" within my own lifetime and actually honest-to-God meaning it, but now that we're here, surely it's just a little bit further, just one last push to reach a long elusive goal of neurological science? Just something to think about. See you all next quarter.

CEO Joseph Gartner

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
To: Dr. Maria Valdez
Subject: Re: Collaborative research potential

The logistics behind an undersea base pose some truly fascinating problems. Perhaps some kind of amphibious supply unit? We'd need to make our standard living modules water-tight and pressure-capable, ensure our colonising resources are equipped for aquatic deployment, to say nothing of water-based terraformers. Defence from seaward threats would give even Marcus Li conniptions! A most worthy endeavour, we would be happy to assist with making Project Xochimilco a reality.

Regards,
Coordinator AJ Kusisitiza
Kusisitiza Datametrics

PS: Great work on the Chiron Seafood Platter meal-in-a-box! I'm sure it'll be a bestseller.

To: HCS Ezekiel Carson
Subject: RE: Invitation

I thank you for the invitation. I regret I will not be able to attend in person, but I will send along one of our most promising research teams who have expressed an interest in xenobiological research and how it may further our economic/industrial area of focus. I look forward to receiving the footage from your demonstrations, and wish you every success in this endeavour.

Regards,
Kusisitiza Datametrics

To: All Science and Tech personnel

Subject: First fruits of KD's research focus

My fellow colleagues and competitors, our recent work has uncovered a possibility for greatly improved energy storage and distribution which will form a much-needed cornerstone of our automation project. This has the potential to be revolutionary, provided we can get it fully up to speed and effective, across virtually every aspect of our economy. I make no promises just yet, but early indicators are extremely positive. More on this as we continue to develop it.

Regards,
Kusisitiza Datametrics

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drakenel posted:

To: Maria Valdez, Hal Kimberly, AJ Kusisitiza, Marcus Li, Asa Wright, "Reily", Fred M. Sloniker

This is an invitation to the many varied departments and businesses that I believe have an interest in the new equipment that's been designed. At our current lab at Morgan industries, we've developed holding cells for the local 'mindworms', should they be controlled and captured. Our only samples are unfortunately taken because they were contained after burrowing in a soldier. Their sacrifice should not be in vain though, as this has allowed us to get a pair of live specimens. With these worms contained in as secure as possible cell, we are able to run tests now and develop reliable means of capturing worms separated from their boils, by means of incineration or otherwise. I invite you all to Morgan Industries to observe these tests alongside us. I know many of you disagree on their means of attack and what abilities they may or may not have, but our hope is that our range of testing with both stimulus reaction and live 'bait' (No it's not people yet) will help answer some of these questions.

I'll provide lunch with some of Valdez's recent catch served as well after the tests. Partake as you wish. This is a week from now. (Using Chiron's night and day cycle, not the old earth one.) You will have to provide your own accommodations, but none of you are so poor to not manage a hotel room. The XDI HQ is currently residing in Gray district 3. Your datataps will give you directions, don't worry. If you are unable to make it for whatever reason, I am more than willing to provide the recorded footage we will make that day.

XDI HCS, Ezekiel Carson

To: Ezekiel Carson
Subject: Re: Invitation

I am pleased to accept your invitation. The implications for Project Cipatli are very interesting.

Dr. Maria Valdez,
Applied Maritime Solutions Ltd

quote:

From CIC Dakarai Kaapanda
Subject: Re: Bjork, bjork, bjork

Congratulations on your success, Doctor. I am happy to accept your gracious invitation. I will be attending with two guests, and we would like the vegetarian ravioli. This is purely a personal choice by my family, and not a snub of your many other excellent-sounding dishes. Though do not be surprised if my daughter sneaks bits of the other courses too. She is a young and curious one.

On a more important note, we should also touch base some time during the evening about your company. Mr. Morgan has put out the word that he wishes to expand our operations into an area that borders both the ocean and the freshwater sea, which would seem ideal for your purposes, yet I have not seen nor heard of you making any bids to do so. Combined with your other email about the interesting research taking place at your HQ, it makes me wonder if you are perhaps holding onto your shares until such a time as we have the technology to establish full-scale sea bases? Because my job entails overseeing the economic viability of many different projects, I have a variety of resources and contacts I would be pleased to place at your disposal, if my guess is correct. While your presence would of course be sorely missed if you left to found an aquatic colony, I can think of no better place for you.

Sincerely,
Chief Integration Coordinator Dakarai Kaapanda

To: CIC Dakarai Kaapanda
Subject: Re: Re: Bjork, bjork, bjork

You are correct in assuming that AMS is placing its bets on Project Xochimilco, and our shore-based operations, including Project Cipatli, are only a temporary state of affairs. We believe that Morgan's research priorities, which do not include the Exploration or Conquest paradigms, wholly exclude any research into developing a doctrine of strategic mobility and then inevitably the kind of flexibility naval operations require, but this must change in time. When that does change, we intend to hit the ground running. Or water swimming, as it happens.

Dr. Maria Valdez,

AJ_Impy posted:

Subject: Re: Collaborative research potential

The logistics behind an undersea base pose some truly fascinating problems. Perhaps some kind of amphibious supply unit? We'd need to make our standard living modules water-tight and pressure-capable, ensure our colonising resources are equipped for aquatic deployment, to say nothing of water-based terraformers. Defence from seaward threats would give even Marcus Li conniptions! A most worthy endeavour, we would be happy to assist with making Project Xochimilco a reality.

Regards,
Kusisitiza Datametrics

PS: Great work on the Chiron Seafood Platter meal-in-a-box! I'm sure it'll be a bestseller.

To: Coordinator AJ Kusisitiza
Subject: Re: Re: Collaborative research potential

Your misgivings about an undersea base are entirely justified, which is why that isn't part of Project Xochimilco. Our sea base proposal is located almost entirely on the ocean surface, using a combination of flotation platforms and underwater girding similar to oil rigs on Earth to create a base that effectively rests on the ocean surface. There will of course be underwater segments, but it was our experience back on Earth that trying to go directly for sea floor colonization is jumping the gun a little. Still, your interest is appreciated and we keep watch for when Morgan's technological research priorities change.

Dr. Maria Valdez,

OOC: Nweis' research priorities are Build and Discover only, but Doctrine: Mobility is exclusively weighted for Conquest and Explore, meaning there's a very slim chance of researching Mobility outside of getting it from a pod or an AI player unless we research literally every tech that doesn't lead back to Mobility. Mobility is the prerequisite tech for techs that give boats as well as anything involving studying Planet and alien life, all of which fall under the Explore category.

Also, don't get overeager with mind worm research. In game mechanics, captive breeding and use of mind worms comes from a specific tech we don't currently have access to. Again, Explore category.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
To: <ceo@dreamlandgames.com>, <ceo@lovelace.com>
Subject: IDC proposals

Ms. Wright, Mr. Sloniker:

While reviewing the survey data on the eastern reaches and the business proposals that have been made for a major server hub to support entertainment applications on the Pod 5 global network, I have come to the conclusion that the profit potential of giving your companies access to the resources of their own IDC with the rare earths available in the eastern reaches could be a major long-term profit center for Morgan Industries. As such, I would be willing to offer financial assistance in buying out assets from the Morgan Settlement IDC and from local suppliers so that you can spearhead a new settlement for the Pod 5 colony. I intend to acquire partial ownership shares in both your enterprises, in order to secure the long-term revenue streams inherent in the venture. Contact me and we can work out specifics for selling you the financing.

You both have done good work here, and the business plan Mr. Sloniker has for marketing entertainment apps from an appropriate network hub is entirely solid, based on my own review. I believe we can have an arrangement here that works out in everybody's interests. Let's go forth and make this happen.

Nwabudike Morgan, CEO Morgan Settlement IDC and Morgan Industries

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

nweismuller posted:

While reviewing the survey data on the eastern reaches and the business proposals that have been made for a major server hub to support entertainment applications on the Pod 5 global network, I have come to the conclusion that the profit potential of giving your companies access to the resources of their own IDC with the rare earths available in the eastern reaches could be a major long-term profit center for Morgan Industries. As such, I would be willing to offer financial assistance in buying out assets from the Morgan Settlement IDC and from local suppliers so that you can spearhead a new settlement for the Pod 5 colony. I intend to acquire partial ownership shares in both your enterprises, in order to secure the long-term revenue streams inherent in the venture. Contact me and we can work out specifics for selling you the financing.

You both have done good work here, and the business plan Mr. Sloniker has for marketing entertainment apps from an appropriate network hub is entirely solid, based on my own review. I believe we can have an arrangement here that works out in everybody's interests. Let's go forth and make this happen.

Mr. Morgan:

Thank you. As you're so fond of saying, let's get to work.

- Asa Wright

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

nweismuller posted:

Subject: An immodest proposal
To: Senior staff <stafflist@dreamlandgames.com>

I've just received a rather astonishing email from Mr. Morgan regarding our attempts to incentivize a network backbone sufficient for the Virtual World project. It seems that he's decided that the best way to approach the project is for Lovelace Computing Machines and Dreamland Games to set up a joint settlement on the eastern reaches. He would, of course, provide partial financial backing, as well as the necessary network infrastructure.

I have to admit, this proposal is way out of my league. He's asking us to set up a literal company town! (Okay, so technically we're all already living in a company town. You get the idea.) Still, we've already been dreaming big (no pun intended), and you don't get much bigger than an entire settlement devoted to pumping high-quality games across the nation! Plus I can't help but feel like, if we say no, the support in general is off the table. Under the circumstances, I don't think we can afford that, especially since Ms. Wright has already thrown her support behind the proposal.

Which leaves us in the position of avoiding a Walmart scenario. I will not let this company be destroyed by success! We need to meet up and figure out how on earth we're going to pull this off. Check your calendars for date and time.

--Fred

Subject: Re: IDC proposals
To: Nwabudike Morgan <morgan@morgan.com>, Asa Wright <ceo@lovelace.com>

Mr. Morgan:

I have to admit, I'm caught a bit flat-footed by your proposal. While Dreamland Games has always dreamed big (pardon the pun), we had not previously considered the possibility of forming an IDC. That said, there are advantages to your proposal, not the least of which is that we could no doubt count on your financial and technological support in such a significant undertaking.

I'm going to be meeting with senior staff and Ms. Wright and talking things over, working out the details of making this happen. If you have a preference for organizations I should contact to handle those details of operating a settlement that are, shall we say, outside the expertise of our respective companies, I'd appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Fred M. Sloniker
CEO, Dreamland Games

P.S.: have we decided yet on a name for our fledgling nation? 'The Pod 5 Colony' is a bit ambiguous.

Good lord. Morgan says 'hey, how about you found AN ENTIRELY NEW CITY' and you say 'sure, where's my shovel?' Okay, I would have said we shouldn't turn this offer down. We may technically be heads of our own companies, but in the end we all work for Morgan. Still!

If we're going to do this, we need to do it right. I think a merger is called for; we can work out the details later, but I don't want there to be any factions in the settlement. Dreamland Games can be the software brand and Lovelace Computing Machines the hardware brand.

Which leaves the question of what to call the new company/settlement. I think it would be best to avoid both 'Dreamland' and 'Lovelace', as well as 'Sloniker' and 'Wright', again to avoid arguments about whose name should be first on the letterhead. Should we have an employee suggestion box or something, or should we come up with something ourselves?

Sincerely,
Fred M. Sloniker
CEO, Dreamland Games

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

How about "Loveland?" It's such an upbeat name for a city!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Building a theme park in the middle of a xenofungal forest does sound like an EXTREMELY Morganite kind of decision.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Building a theme park in the middle of a xenofungal forest does sound like an EXTREMELY Morganite kind of decision.

Also sounds like the name for the center of other types of multimedia and a particular service industry, but knowing Morgan that's probably a feature rather than a bug.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Agent Interrobang posted:

Cythereal posted:

Also sounds like the name for the center of other types of multimedia and a particular service industry, but knowing Morgan that's probably a feature rather than a bug.

Yes, what they said. Any employee suggestion box the companies might have is probably immediately filled with dozens of enthusiastic suggestions for "Loveland." Half of them from the mindworm porn guy.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

but it was witches

quote:

Good lord. Morgan says 'hey, how about you found AN ENTIRELY NEW CITY' and you say 'sure, where's my shovel?' Okay, I would have said we shouldn't turn this offer down. We may technically be heads of our own companies, but in the end we all work for Morgan. Still!

If we're going to do this, we need to do it right. I think a merger is called for; we can work out the details later, but I don't want there to be any factions in the settlement. Dreamland Games can be the software brand and Lovelace Computing Machines the hardware brand.

Which leaves the question of what to call the new company/settlement. I think it would be best to avoid both 'Dreamland' and 'Lovelace', as well as 'Sloniker' and 'Wright', again to avoid arguments about whose name should be first on the letterhead. Should we have an employee suggestion box or something, or should we come up with something ourselves?

Sincerely,
Fred M. Sloniker
CEO, Dreamland Games

Mr. Sloniker:

I have been proposing a settlement for several years since Planetfall, so this came as less of a surprise to me than it did to you. Lovelace Computing Machines has been ready for this opportunity for some time. I could afford to be glib.

There is non-entertainment software that my company does, mostly data analysis for scientific endeavours. I would not be averse to your expanding the scope of your company to Dreamland Software; besides, the massively multiplayer games will require metrics that I would be happy to supply. I'd be happy to supply it even if we weren't contemplating a merger, frankly.

Agreed that if we are to form a merged company, we need a new name. I am willing to solicit suggestions for the company name. That said, I would also like to offer a name for the proposed settlement: Turing.

Sincerely,
Asa Wright

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Also, don't get overeager with mind worm research. In game mechanics, captive breeding and use of mind worms comes from a specific tech we don't currently have access to.

Speaking of game mechanics and tech aquisition, what would be a reasonable assumption as to possible life expectancy for original expedition members? We go 10 years per update, so many characters should be at the least between 40-50, and many are likely pushing 80 or even 90, assuming Chiron years are close to Earth years (I suspect we're actually still using Earth years and ignoring Chiron's orbital period). Until we get the Longevity Vaccine - which doesn't seem likely to happen in the next update (to get there we need a detour through the sadly ignored Explore tech category) - shouldn't people, including Morgan himself, either be dying off or in cryosleep hoping to wake in a better future? (Can a frontier colony allow itself to waste resources on maintaining cryopods? Do we even have viable cryopod tech after planetfall?)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lokapala posted:

Speaking of game mechanics and tech aquisition, what would be a reasonable assumption as to possible life expectancy for original expedition members? We go 10 years per update, so many characters should be at the least between 40-50, and many are likely pushing 80 or even 90, assuming Chiron years are close to Earth years (I suspect we're actually still using Earth years and ignoring Chiron's orbital period). Until we get the Longevity Vaccine - which doesn't seem likely to happen in the next update (to get there we need a detour through the sadly ignored Explore tech category) - shouldn't people, including Morgan himself, either be dying off or in cryosleep hoping to wake in a better future? (Can a frontier colony allow itself to waste resources on maintaining cryopods? Do we even have viable cryopod tech after planetfall?)

I'm rolling with what Nweis suggested when Biogenetics was researched, and what the in-game interludes suggest: that life extension technology does exist well before the Longevity Vaccine, but it's a form of rejuvenation therapy/surgery and only available to Talents. The Longevity Vaccine seems to be a mass-producible anti-aging drug like the Daedalus Ladder in Beyond Earth.

Personally, I'd imagine that any original expedition members, if they have access to the requisite resources, can probably survive to game end if they aren't killed before then. Although I have different plans for the character I've been RPing, if the game develops the requisite technology.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Bliss Authority posted:

Mr. Sloniker:

I have been proposing a settlement for several years since Planetfall, so this came as less of a surprise to me than it did to you. Lovelace Computing Machines has been ready for this opportunity for some time. I could afford to be glib.

There is non-entertainment software that my company does, mostly data analysis for scientific endeavours. I would not be averse to your expanding the scope of your company to Dreamland Software; besides, the massively multiplayer games will require metrics that I would be happy to supply. I'd be happy to supply it even if we weren't contemplating a merger, frankly.

Agreed that if we are to form a merged company, we need a new name. I am willing to solicit suggestions for the company name. That said, I would also like to offer a name for the proposed settlement: Turing.

Sincerely,
Asa Wright

I'd prefer the focus of the Dreamland Games brand to focus on, well, games, though of course I'd be happy to pool our software talent with yours. As for the settlement name... well, I'm guessing you have a certain passion for the classics, computer-wise. The identity of the first video game depends on how you define 'video game', but Pong is the first game to enjoy widespread commercial success. Perhaps 'Bushnell Center'?

Sincerely,
Fred M. Sloniker
CEO, Dreamland Games

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Lokapala posted:

On the subject of days and years, the Chiron year is ~389 Earth days, and the Chiron day is approximately 17.5 hours. The Chiron year is 532 local days long.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
To: <ceo@dreamlandgames.com>

Mr. Sloniker:

The practical details of implementing a new IDC with the proper spread of talent needed shouldn't be insurmountable- I'll be working with you in the future about seeking out investors and firms for the new settlement. The most difficult step was insuring the first settlement itself; once that was in place we had an economic system capable of adapting to new conditions and providing supply for new ventures. At this point, we have the resources and the experience as a nation to replicate the procedure in a predictable fashion.

As for a name for our new nation, I think the most appropriate name as things stand would be 'the North Pholus Colony'. Simple and accurate representation of a thing which is not, unlike our own personal enterprises, the work of any one person. A man should, of course, decide over those matters that belong to him- but the North Pholus Colony does not belong to any one man. We all have a new world to create, and each of us has the opportunity here to make riches through their work and ingenuity. Let's make sure we have the riches to continue to accomplish our desires into the future, yes?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Also: the planned eastern site is on the tile due north of the minerals resource. This is not 'in the middle of a xenofungal forest', yeah?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
To: Nwabudike Morgan, CEO Morgan Settlement IDC <morgan@morgan.com>
Subject: Development Features

Mr. Morgan:

In the actual situation the development of the Pod 5 settlements has been stunted by the sad but undenaiable fact tha the great mass of pure specialists seems to have chosen other Pods and operative philososphies; in order to transform this problemi into an opportunity it is becoming more and ore useful to coordinate several field of research. After all, overspecialization is often more a crippling factor than a positive one.
Cyberdinamica has been created following this line of thought as a sort of "think tank" by several indipendent researchers in fields like cybernetics, nanotechnology and computer science; our interdisciplinary cooperation has produced a new software and hardware system which allowed us to elaborate the data we are sending with this communication. As your expert will surely confirm, the new system makes is a new, and great, step towards the creation of a true Polymorphic Software and in support of scientific researc throug the elaboration of Nonlinear Mathematics. As an esemple of the integration we are speaking of, the elaboration of data about the so called "mindworms" and their incredible ability of coordinated operation, allowed us the breakthrough in creating our multitronic system.
This message is a simple proposal about a cooperation in order to advance towards new, greater objective and reciprocal profit. Greater results could even com if our colonies would be equipped with a Virtual World in order to advance the integration and interdiciplinary development I was talking before.
After all, Chiang and Zakarov are probably still out there, and considering Ms. Skye was much less an extremist than those two, before Planetfall, I really dread wath is happened in the communities derivid from their pods (I speak personally, here. A lot of my previous collegues chose to follow Zakharov, I preferred indipendence and opportunity).

Sincerely,
Matthias Sandowar
CEO, Cyberdinamica

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 24, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personal log, Dr. Maria Valdez

The last meeting with the shareholders didn't go well. AMS has done a credible job contributing to our colony's xenobiology and xenoecology research, and on a practical level to our food production, though that remains more theoretical than industrial right now, but on Earth AMS was primarily an engineering firm, not a research think tank. We made our name restoring oil production at rigs and wells throughout the Caribbean in Earth's last decades, repairing damage from accidents, natural disasters, and deliberate attacks. We have everything we need to hit the ground running once enough public interest and support for naval operations materializes: Projects Xochimilco, Cipatli, Ahuizotl, Xipetotec, and Chaac. Again, theoretical rather than industrial. We're not doing
badly, but we're a company of many ideas and not a lot of product at the moment, and the CFO is getting tired of my 'but Morgan hasn't even supported a colonial doctrine of mobility yet, much less the kind of flexibility going to sea requires!" spiel.

Which, I suppose, is why I authorized Project Cipatli despite my misgivings. We need something to show the investors, something physical to point to and give them confidence in our ability to produce. It's the only way I'll be able to afford that fancy rejuvenation therapy, if nothing else.

On Earth, I kept a saltwater aquarium in my apartment. Keeping even that small cross-section of Earth's ocean stable and prosperous was a lot of hard work and unforeseen developments. I have to wonder if we'll ever tame Chiron's seas like that, keeping aquafungus in our homes and small sporefish and little creatures we don't even have names for yet. The other senior personnel probably think I've started sniffing spores, but I can understand Dr. Skye's reverence towards this planet. That profound feeling of awe and reverence is the root of both religious ecstasy and scientific curiosity. It's why I left Godwinson's followers. Science and religion were never meant to be enemies.

Sea trials of the Xolotl start next week. Just a three-man crew and restricted to very shallow coastal waters, but we need access to Planet's sea floor with more precision than trawling from surface vessels if Project Cipatli is going to move forward.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

but it was witches

FredMSloniker posted:

I'd prefer the focus of the Dreamland Games brand to focus on, well, games, though of course I'd be happy to pool our software talent with yours. As for the settlement name... well, I'm guessing you have a certain passion for the classics, computer-wise. The identity of the first video game depends on how you define 'video game', but Pong is the first game to enjoy widespread commercial success. Perhaps 'Bushnell Center'?

Sincerely,
Fred M. Sloniker
CEO, Dreamland Games

Mr. Sloniker:

Beautiful. I'll second your suggestion of calling the colony Bushnell.

As for wanting to keep your focus, that's fair enough. Our area of expertise at Lovelace is more one of metrics and information security. I don't suppose you'd be interested in holding an MMO Hack-Off? Release a limited MMO riddled with security holes as as a training exercise for both our teams? I have to confess that half the reason I suggest this is for the fun of it, but it's also a quite instructive experience for the folks who have to patch those holes.

Attached find our proposal for VR interface visors.

Yours in innovation,

Asa Wright
CEO, Lovelace Computing Machines

Bliss Authority fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 24, 2015

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

CEO Morgan

GIVE ME MORE SOLDIERS, NOBLE LEADER, SO THAT THEY MAY SHEATHE THEIR SWORDS IN THE BEATING HEARTS OF OUR ENEMIES!

Sincerely,
Civ 2 Military Advisor

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

incompetent posted:

CEO Morgan

GIVE ME MORE SOLDIERS, NOBLE LEADER, SO THAT THEY MAY SHEATHE THEIR SWORDS IN THE BEATING HEARTS OF OUR ENEMIES!

Sincerely,
Civ 2 Military Advisor

Who gave their game email capability? I know everyone is excited about the prospective VR project, but I was hoping we had left the spambots back on Earth.

Although, we can't ignore our military. We project that armed conflict with the Skye's contingent to be inevitable within the next century. Either shortly after we're able to resume large scale independent industry once more, or faster if this religious fanaticism truly takes hold. It is crucial that we have a reserve in place when this happens or we will be quickly overwhelmed. There should be, minimum, a single guard unit and a single offensive unit in every city on the border. Since we can't rely on militia irregulars as was common in less prosperous regions on Earth, this will cut into our productive capacity. However, losing one or more habitats would be a much more significant loss.

-- Morgan IDC Loss Prevention

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

incompetent posted:

CEO Morgan

Sincerely,
Civ 2 Military Advisor

I disagree, sir.

I'm concerned, sir. Caravan production is down for the fiscal year. Is this really what you want?

Sincerely,
Civ 2 Trade Advisor (Modern Era)

Man, I miss those FMV advisors from Civ 2. The panel shocked me the first time I was prompted to go visit the High Council when I was in the middle of Anarchy. That was hilarious, and only got better when the advisors moved up the Eras.

Antipersonnel Mime
Feb 27, 2011

Drakenel posted:

I honestly don't actually know why I included you on that. :psyduck: Names ugh.

To: Entire Colony <ALGORITHM REDACTED>
Subject: Memo: Recent E-mail Issues & Bug Fixes

Fellow Colonists and Associates:

A recent server install introduced a number of small bugs into the inter-colonial messaging system, most notable of which involves messages "Sending Themselves" unencrypted to unauthorized recipients.

Please note that the last sentence was in the past tense. The Morgan IDC IT Department has accomplished what would have been considered a record on Old Earth: within a span of six days and twelve submitted trouble tickets after the server install, we had isolated and patched the security flaws.

Fellow Colonists, please rest assured that your confidential data is, has been and will always be a secret to everyone.

For a glossary of terms and patch notes, click <here>.

Cynthia Roze
Director, Morgan IDC IT Department

Morgan's Personal Terminal posted:

To: NwabudikeM@morgan..com
Subject: No Subject

/breach test successful
/enact operations against gardeners Y/N?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Added Space posted:

Although, we can't ignore our military. We project that armed conflict with the Skye's contingent to be inevitable within the next century. Either shortly after we're able to resume large scale independent industry once more, or faster if this religious fanaticism truly takes hold. It is crucial that we have a reserve in place when this happens or we will be quickly overwhelmed. There should be, minimum, a single guard unit and a single offensive unit in every city on the border. Since we can't rely on militia irregulars as was common in less prosperous regions on Earth, this will cut into our productive capacity. However, losing one or more habitats would be a much more significant loss.

That said, our population has no taste whatsoever for military aggression. We've got a bit of a "Wild West" vibe going on right now as we get our settlements up and running but once we have our economy really running the way we intend it to launching a serious invasion will spark work stoppages if not outright riots across North Pholus. Not only that, it's very likely that trying to pull extreme measures to stop the protestors will simply result in the security forces joining the protests.

And yes, that's evidence that you picked the right Cryopod. You sure didn't see stuff like that back on Earth much.

We can probably psych the populace up enough to go with it for a little while if we have to. But we'll probably burn through psychologists at an unpleasant rate if we do.

--H. Davidson
Lecturer, Planetfall College

(Yeah, I'm assuming that we're aiming to go Free Market at the earliest opportunity)

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

quote:

Cynthia Roze
Director, Morgan IDC IT Department

Just for reference, Asa Wright is the canonical real name of this character, and you may note we have an 'Asa Wright' running Lovelace. Sorry to rain on your parade...

And yes, we WILL be going with and staying with Free Market at the earliest opportunity. No Nerve Stapling for us!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nweismuller posted:

And yes, we WILL be going with and staying with Free Market at the earliest opportunity. No Nerve Stapling for us!

Bah, Free Market is horrible for Morgan and guarantees war with the Gaians. Green makes so much more sense, especially when paired with Democracy and Wealth. I only like Free Market for factions that need the income, which Morgan really doesn't due to his existing bonuses.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Cythereal posted:

Bah, Free Market is horrible for Morgan and guarantees war with the Gaians. Green makes so much more sense, especially when paired with Democracy and Wealth. I only like Free Market for factions that need the income, which Morgan really doesn't due to his existing bonuses.

This particular bit of Social Engineering is not one open to negotiation. I will follow his Social Engineering Agenda.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nweismuller posted:

This particular bit of Social Engineering is not one open to negotiation. I will follow his Social Engineering Agenda.

I dunno, I see AI Morgan running Green pretty often. :v: Free Market just isn't worth the downsides, especially later in the game or when you're next to Deirdre or Cha'Dawn, unless you really really need that extra income. Which Morgan can supply via Wealth.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

nweismuller posted:

No Nerve Stapling for us!

Do you also plan to avoid the other two situations where nerve stapling is deployed? One of those is a no-brainer, but the other would make things interesting.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
Look, if you're not making an absolutely excessively unoptimally vomitous amount of cash while desperately holding off huge stacks of mind worms, then you're not playing Morgan right. :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Plus you can use cash to purchase more units, right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

Plus you can use cash to purchase more units, right?

And it's used for probe operations. My problem with Free Market, aside from it turning you into a faction of Captain Planet villains, is that in Morgan's case he doesn't actually need the help to make shitloads of cash. Wealth, a social engineering option that hasn't been unlocked yet (Value options come up later in the game), is pretty much all Morgan needs to make ridiculous amounts of money, and Green's negatives are easily done away with between a facility we haven't seen yet and Democracy. Green's efficiency bonus is also very attractive for Morgan. Morgan can make even more absurd amounts of cash if he doesn't piss many people off and wins a diplomacy thing that hasn't come up yet.

A negative Planet rating also makes the local wildlife far more ornery, which is a bad thing when you're next to Deirdre, Cha'Dawn, or H'minee (fortunately we don't have to worry about the latter two without Alien Crossfire, and they're both quite a bit meaner than Deirdre), and especially if you've been neglecting Explore techs to get better defenses against them.

Free Market absolutely can be very very useful for some factions (Yang and Miriam come to mind), but I find it's just wasted on Morgan ironically.

Morgan, in my opinion, is like Santiago in that running his preferred SE setting shoots him in the foot a bit and his allowed-but-not-preferred SE setting in that category is superior in most circumstances. For both of them, their preferred SE choice amplifies their native strength, but comes with a serious penalty that for Santiago also amplifies her native weakness. Miriam is similar, but running her preferred SE choice can be used strategically to great effect as long as she doesn't stay in it.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 25, 2015

Antipersonnel Mime
Feb 27, 2011

nweismuller posted:

Just for reference, Asa Wright is the canonical real name of this character, and you may note we have an 'Asa Wright' running Lovelace. Sorry to rain on your parade...

Well cover me in worms and call me Deirdre. Serves me for not reading character bios.

Bliss Authority, if you want, you can use what I came up with as a Shell Company for Lovelace & Morgan's more espionage related activities. I won't be able to keep up myself (I write slow). Otherwise I'll redact it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cythereal posted:

And it's used for probe operations. My problem with Free Market, aside from it turning you into a faction of Captain Planet villains, is that in Morgan's case he doesn't actually need the help to make shitloads of cash. Wealth, a social engineering option that hasn't been unlocked yet (Value options come up later in the game), is pretty much all Morgan needs to make ridiculous amounts of money, and Green's negatives are easily done away with between a facility we haven't seen yet and Democracy. Green's efficiency bonus is also very attractive for Morgan. Morgan can make even more absurd amounts of cash if he doesn't piss many people off and wins a diplomacy thing that hasn't come up yet.

A negative Planet rating also makes the local wildlife far more ornery, which is a bad thing when you're next to Deirdre, Cha'Dawn, or H'minee (fortunately we don't have to worry about the latter two without Alien Crossfire, and they're both quite a bit meaner than Deirdre), and especially if you've been neglecting Explore techs to get better defenses against them.

Free Market absolutely can be very very useful for some factions (Yang and Miriam come to mind), but I find it's just wasted on Morgan ironically.

Morgan, in my opinion, is like Santiago in that running his preferred SE setting shoots him in the foot a bit and his allowed-but-not-preferred SE setting in that category is superior in most circumstances. For both of them, their preferred SE choice amplifies their native strength, but comes with a serious penalty that for Santiago also amplifies her native weakness. Miriam is similar, but running her preferred SE choice can be used strategically to great effect as long as she doesn't stay in it.

So you're saying that More Money > Less Money is not true in Alpha Centauri? :psyduck:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Cythereal, nweismuller is well aware that he's playing suboptimally. He has made a deliberate decision to do so as part of the narrative. Continuing after he says it's not open to negotiation is a bit rude.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FredMSloniker posted:

Cythereal, nweismuller is well aware that he's playing suboptimally. He has made a deliberate decision to do so as part of the narrative. Continuing after he says it's not open to negotiation is a bit rude.

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Do you also plan to avoid the other two situations where nerve stapling is deployed? One of those is a no-brainer, but the other would make things interesting.

Two situations? I can only think of one, which I am planning to avoid. Punishment Spheres are a horrorshow. What's the other?

Also, vis-a-vis Yang and Free Market...

He has a -2 ECONOMY, which means the only way for him to hit the +2 ECONOMY breakpoint is to use both Free Market and Eudaimonia. Given that he gets to totally ignore the penalties inherent in Planned, this seems rather silly. His ENTIRE POINT in faction design is to incentivise him to go Maximum Mao.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 25, 2015

• Locked thread