Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

This is awesome news, great notes. Very excited for this, congrats RoverDude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

quote:

Deep space refuelling aka resources! Adding a new system and parts that collect matter from asteroids and bodies so you can process that to LF and O. How? A lot of existing assets, those ones made ages ago. Collaborator will be RoverDude! Basically, a version of Karbonite will be integrated into stock or rather "won't be dissimilar", is the phrase Max used.
Congrats RoverDude. :toot:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
This next update sounds excellent.

Please add repair contracts! Elon Kerman done hosed up his launch and now needs big gub'mint to help him out. Repack those chutes and refuel his ship, see that he gets home.

fauxbama
Jan 7, 2007

HAIL THE DARK EMPEROR! HAIL! HAIL!

Otacon posted:

This is awesome news, great notes. Very excited for this, congrats RoverDude!

I am not ObsessedWithKSP, I just reposted what he wrote for those who don't want to venture over to the official forums.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Female Kerbals is so drat awesome because as nice as it would be for Kerbals to be truly genderless, they have a lot of typically masculine features (not even getting started on the names) and pretty much everyone refers to them as male.

Also, Lewis's Law is pretty fitting right now considering the KSP forum comments

marumaru
May 20, 2013

KSP is going to 1.0 next update.

There were a lot of things they promised for 1.0, and now they're pushed to the future™

Early Access really is a curse, isn't it

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My kids, 10 and 8, just started getting into this game. I gave them no guidance except a basic how to in the rocket and plane assembly buildings and launch keys.

My son figured out between trial and error and YouTube vids how to build a plane and fly it off the ground. Plane overhaul is awesome for him

My daughter is very excited at female kerbals. People complaining can eat a bag of dicks. Trying to encourage fun games to play that teach something. They were very interested in launch parabolas and apoapsis even though they have no idea of the math behind them, but they do intuitively get more speed= further arc.

Females just help keep my daughters interest longer, so, kudos team.

Now kids, go bed, daddy has contracts to finish

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 24, 2015

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Inacio posted:

KSP is going to 1.0 next update.

There were a lot of things they promised for 1.0, and now they're pushed to the future™

Early Access really is a curse, isn't it

Like what? It's really just a landmark thing for us, development carries on as it has so far.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

Like what? It's really just a landmark thing for us, development carries on as it has so far.

Like multiplayer? Wasn't that meant for 1.0?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
To be honest, I never quite understood the weight people give version numbers. As long as they're monotonically increasing tuples (and, ideally, you increment the major version if you break compatibility after 1.0), it doesn't really matter. People got so mad when Firefox changed to incrementing the major version every six weeks and I just couldn't fathom why anyone would care.

1.0 is really the only "big" step for versions (and even that's not that major), and if Squad considers the next update to be of "release quality", then have a party. Squad's always been good about posting updates, so I have every bit of confidence that we'll see more news of post-1.0 features too. (Although I still wanna see more pictures in the devnotes, even if they're not stuff Squad would think is super-interesting.)

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Inacio posted:

If you can find a quote on that I'd be happy to clarify on. MP has been worked on for a while but doing it right is taking an enormous amount of work and time still. I could have sworn I even said so myself before.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Collateral Damage posted:

Congrats RoverDude. :toot:

Karbonite continuing to poo poo all over Kethane makes me happy in a very irrational and childish way

e: christ I just read a few pages of the thread about female Kerbals :suicide:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 24, 2015

DBlue135
Dec 21, 2005
What do I need to do to make the high concentration karbonite areas show up on the map? I don't think the answer is scan-sat. From my understanding scan-sat is for making the deposits hidden by default but findable.

The scanner shows me percentages as I fly over, but no visualization

Edit: Upon closer inspection, there are no karbonite hot-spots anymore to show. That will teach me to read the beginning of a thread instead of the end. . .

DBlue135 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 24, 2015

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yep. Glad to see Female Kerbals for the same keeping a female youngling interested reason as others. Also because they have a male-ness to them it always just felt a little off to me.

The only negative I can see to Kermen (kerpeople?) having genders is that there will be some truly creepy mods coming to the surface of the cesspit.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

General_Failure posted:

Yep. Glad to see Female Kerbals for the same keeping a female youngling interested reason as others. Also because they have a male-ness to them it always just felt a little off to me.

The only negative I can see to Kermen (kerpeople?) having genders is that there will be some truly creepy mods coming to the surface of the cesspit.

KSP has already weathered creepy anime babe kerbals. I think it'll survive.

No I'm not finding the link but it's probably not all that hard to search for. I think it's even on the official forums.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inacio posted:

Lmao max himself said it was intended for after release

quote:

Multiplayer is something we planned to do after it was all said and done

Oh look at what I just found

frank.club fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 24, 2015

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Wouldn't female kerbs just have a different face texture and a different pool of random names? I hardly see how this would be a problem to people, and those who think that other features were somehow delayed because of this have absolutely no idea how game development works.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

haveblue posted:

Can't wait until BTSM somehow ruins or suppresses them.

Flowerchild's wolves mod had some sort of bondage and rape thing going on.

Honestly, if his mod simply removes them from the game that would be the best case scenario

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

karl fungus posted:

Wouldn't female kerbs just have a different face texture and a different pool of random names? I hardly see how this would be a problem to people, and those who think that other features were somehow delayed because of this have absolutely no idea how game development works.

Maxmaps said on the stream that they have slightly different skeletal structures. Based on what he said, I'm guessing this is pretty close to accurate:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

KSP has already weathered creepy anime babe kerbals. I think it'll survive.

No I'm not finding the link but it's probably not all that hard to search for. I think it's even on the official forums.

No. No need to do that.

I've seen them. Sailor Mun did get a laugh out of me though. It's not what they look like either. I'm just certain that someone will do something like that Kerbal breeding mod and take it a little too far.

If they didn't have so much intrinsic maleness, I would have been happy with an official backstory of them being dropped from pods formed on large briefly formed plant like organisms derived from slime molds.

The only things I want to do once two gendered-ness is realised for us masses it to be able to assign some custom names.

Splode ffs don't give FlowerChild ideas.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The best troll from Squad would be if kerbals were still asexual (they just had two main phenotypes) so any two kerbals could reproduce. That would be a good time to reveal that Jeb is Bill and Bob's child. :twisted:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Lmao max himself said it was intended for after release

Oh look at what I just found

Here's the actual source!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

General_Failure posted:

I've seen them. Sailor Mun did get a laugh out of me though. It's not what they look like either. I'm just certain that someone will do something like that Kerbal breeding mod and take it a little too far.
A colonisation mod that requires a suitable amount and proportion of female and male kerbals to guarantee genetic diversity for generations to come would actually be pretty neat. Though I guess that would require the Kerbal universe to expand to include multiple stars because you don't really need colony ships to explore a single solar system.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

A colonisation mod that requires a suitable amount and proportion of female and male kerbals to guarantee genetic diversity for generations to come would actually be pretty neat. Though I guess that would require the Kerbal universe to expand to include multiple stars because you don't really need colony ships to explore a single solar system.

Well, you could go Mars Trilogy and colonize Duna.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

karl fungus posted:

The Venn diagram of "people who get mad about game development" and "people who know poo poo about game development" is two circles about half a kilometre apart, with the former being several times the size of the latter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Avenging Dentist posted:

The best troll from Squad would be if kerbals were still asexual (they just had two main phenotypes) so any two kerbals could reproduce. That would be a good time to reveal that Jeb is Bill and Bob's child. :twisted:

That would actually be pretty funny.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well, you could go Mars Trilogy and colonize Duna.
Oh man, I'd love to see a proper KSP rendition of the Ares for RSS. :getin:

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
And we have final proof from FlowerChild himself as to why he is an incredible shitlord.

I'm super-glad this is happening and even gladder that the reaction from this thread is overwhelmingly positive. Good job, Squad!

Avenging Dentist posted:

got my fingers crossed for this

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
So apparently I forgot to close down ksp yesterday, good news, my mod setup is stable, bad news, my probe is now part of duna's landscape.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Best troll from Squad would be using that thread to ban all the shitheads.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

After that thread dies down, someone should do a dramatic reading of the best comments :v:

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Avenging Dentist posted:

maxmaps please take note

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

DBlue135 posted:

What do I need to do to make the high concentration karbonite areas show up on the map? I don't think the answer is scan-sat. From my understanding scan-sat is for making the deposits hidden by default but findable.

The scanner shows me percentages as I fly over, but no visualization

Edit: Upon closer inspection, there are no karbonite hot-spots anymore to show. That will teach me to read the beginning of a thread instead of the end. . .

You need the latest version of SCANsat, the one on CKAN doesn't support Karbonite I think. I don't know about hot-spots, but there is significant variation in Karbonite concentrations, so it's worth picking a good spot.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96859-0-90-SCANsat-v9-0rc4-1-Dev-version-UI-Updates-Dec-22

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Maxmaps posted:

I hope female Kerbals counts as happily surprised!

Forum reaction mixed though!

Excellent.

I guess this is the point where I now ask about the administrators in the administration building. Any plans to make one (or more) of those female?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I still wish there was a mod that added contracts/general support for contracts to be able to put stuff on the surface of planets. Like say rescuing stranded kerbals, refueling bases, hell even destroy objectives with bdarmory where they can fight back due to the automation in that.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
How do I karbonite? I tried using the scanner on a polar mun orbit at 110000 alt and nothing showed in map mode.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Falken posted:

How do I karbonite? I tried using the scanner on a polar mun orbit at 110000 alt and nothing showed in map mode.

Since it's using regolith now, the release version of scansat can't track it, use the dev version.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Falken posted:

Apoffys posted:

You need the latest version of SCANsat, the one on CKAN doesn't support Karbonite I think. I don't know about hot-spots, but there is significant variation in Karbonite concentrations, so it's worth picking a good spot.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96859-0-90-SCANsat-v9-0rc4-1-Dev-version-UI-Updates-Dec-22

You should be able to see Karbonite concentrations in "big map"-mode with that once you've scanned the planet/moon. Remember to toggle display of Karbonite, and to pick the correct body in big map-mode. Not sure if you need to do a round of scanning with SCANsat-equipment as well or if the Karbonite scanner is enough, as I had both on the same ship.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Thanks again, thread for the protip of the Klaw doing resource transfers.

this spaceplane has been stuck in a really low polar Minmus orbit since I started the 0.90 sandbox game. I finally have a way to refuel it, recharge it's cockpit battery and send it on it's way home.

it was like docking a skyscraper.

The spaceplane was never really intended to leave the vicinity of KSC so it lacked many basic features. I got a little too ambitious and took it to Minmus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

Here's the actual source!

I stand corrected, I really thought stuff like multiplayer, walkable EVAs and reentry were planned for 1.0!