Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is there any further news on when Dead Rising 2 and Resident Evil 5 will be getting converted to Steamworks? Capcom mentioned it'd happen early this year and then nothing. It'd be nice to know when it's happening and if Capcom would be nice enough to throw in the console exclusive DLC while they're at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

From Jan 18th:

wbacon (capcom) posted:

Sorry guys/gals, we don't have a release date set yet. I don't think it'll be too far off, but we won't be able to announce anything until the development and QA is complete. Any new announcement will be posted on Capcom Unity and then mirrored here, so keep an eye on both fronts. Hope you all understand that I can't confirm or deny any unannounced and/or rumored info ^^)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I finished Leon's first chapter of RE6 and really don't like how bulletspongy the enemies are. Shooting enemies in the leg like in 4 and 5 doesn't seem to work and the only reliable way to cause staggers so far seems to be using quickshots, and often Helena just performs her normal melee attack anyway because you have to get REALLY close to get the finishers to work. The window for counters is so tiny I've only managed to pull it off accidentally.

The combat just feels sluggish to be honest. Any tips for making the fame more enjoyable?

no seriously play mercenaries and try to get a handle on the controls because leon chapter 1 is one of the most scripted, restricted chapters in the game. though there are plenty because the campaign is trash. you gotta get a decent understanding of the flow of the combat in the game before it starts to click and not being able to dodge, run or experiment on how to stun enemies really hurts that a lot!

you can stagger enemies with headshots and armshots for a medium stun (quickshots, slides and the basic m1, m1, m1 melee combo all cause light stun) that usually instakills enemies. the animation for stuns in general isn't very clear though- look for any kind of pause from the shot on zombies rather than the pronounced stuff from re4/5. it's like the biggest systematic failing of the game that there isn't any animation like that for those stuns. also don't use the light melees (m1/atk without aiming) because they're kinda meant to be bad except against singular enemies as a resourceless kill.

stomps/OTGs aren't invincible so don't go out of your way to do those in crowds- you want to use that as a finisher for enemies away from the crowd who have been knocked down. as a reminder, you actually have to stomp/OTG them in their head to kill them unless you're using a melee weapon so take that into account.

also turn on QTE assist in the gameplay options because the only thing it really does is remove many of the useless and unnecessary qtes that have no reason to exist.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 24, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Fereydun posted:

no seriously play mercenaries and try to get a handle on the controls because leon chapter 1 is one of the most scripted, restricted chapters in the game. though there are plenty because the campaign is trash. you gotta get a decent understanding of the flow of the combat in the game before it starts to click and not being able to dodge, run or experiment on how to stun enemies really hurts that a lot!

you can stagger enemies with headshots and armshots for a medium stun (quickshots, slides and the basic m1, m1, m1 melee combo all cause light stun) that usually instakills enemies. the animation for stuns in general isn't very clear though- look for any kind of pause from the shot on zombies rather than the pronounced stuff from re4/5. it's like the biggest systematic failing of the game that there isn't any animation like that for those stuns. also don't use the light melees (m1/atk without aiming) because they're kinda meant to be bad except against singular enemies as a resourceless kill.

Thanks, I'll give merc a shot. You can slide into enemies to stun them? What kind of attacks can you dodge with the aim+crouch move? I mean, does it have any invincibility frames?

EDIT: The game is at its best when it's as silly as possible, like when Helena performs OTT wrestling moves on zombies.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 24, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

blackguy32 posted:

Remake was ok. RE4 was better though.

Disagree, I still like Remake way more than RE4.

Though I wasn't the biggest fan of RE4 to begin with.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

blackguy32 posted:

Or maybe fans of a series can realize things have evolved. In fact, pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles haven't been a thing since RE3. But sure, lets go back to tank controls and fixed camera angles because that is the way it always has been and will always have to be.

As for nothing inherently being wrong with tank controls, the human body does not work that way.

Thing is, fans of the series in this case have realised things have evolved and that's ok. I just thinking pointing out the blinding obvious like "Fans of a series like the style that it presented for a couple of decades" like it's some kind of great tragedy or failure is a bit arrogant. Like, no poo poo.

also it's a video game the gently caress does the human body have to do with it, true RE never really had a fantastic implementation of the control scheme (I think the absolute best tank controls to exist in a video game are Silent Hill 3's) but I still don't buy there's anything inherently wrong with the method other than having a bit of a steep learning curve. It's just a different style that caters to a game with different goals and a different atmosphere. I mean, there's the fact that RE4 is the most lauded of the action-bit of the series despite that game still actually having sorta tank-controls and probably the worst implementation of that third-person control scheme of the series, every successive game in the series got better at the controls and yet RE4 is still probably the most liked so I don't buy that tank controls were some great anachronism holding the series back from greatness.

And to be honest, I don't think RE really evolved. I think it just changed, went in a new direction completely after REMake was their final refinement of the original formula. Nothing wrong with that I guess, they tried a thing and it paid off. More power to them, even I sometimes enjoy this new style since Revelations is pretty cool. But true I am not massively fond of the fact that this style of game completely replaced actual survival horror because I don't feel like this is an evolution of that style so much as just a completely different style with completely different intentions and not an actual replacement or evolution of the genre. I think both have a place but I don't think one can be called an evolution of the other.

great holy moly walls of text

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think tank controls are totally fine and I'd rather play REmake twenty times over with that scheme before I play 5 or 6. But then people lose their loving minds over them, and that's okay I guess and too bad, but I don't really see why it's a big deal, I forget all about the controls when I'm actually sitting down and playing the games which is how it's supposed to be.

Also flash news report: The human body isn't controlled by buttons and triggers and can never be recreated with a controller, so this is a very very truly astoundingly bad argument.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The thing is that the tank controls are a relic. Back in the day when most bigger games were like the original Resident Evil, and you were guiding a little figure made of three polygons through a matte painting, the tank controls made sense because "forward" would frequently not be the same direction from one static camera angle to another. There are several areas in the first Parasite Eve, for example, where holding one direction on the D-pad to leave an area will make your character immediately turn around and go back the way you came once the new area loads. FF7, IIRC, has a few incidences of the same problem.

You can just about get away with that kind of thing when you're just exploring an overworld in an RPG, but in a game like RE where you actually depend on quick reactions, you need a different setup. They didn't actually have contextually-sensitive movement controls, where "forward" would remain forward in a new camera angle until such a time as you let go of the thumbstick, until the first Devil May Cry.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Static camera angles are a stylistic choice, and in my opinion classic style tank controls are to this day the best control scheme for it other than maybe point and click. I loving hate the "hold control stick in a direction and then let go to readjust to the new angle" scheme and it bothers me way more than regular tank controls ever did.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wanderer posted:

The thing is that the tank controls are a relic. Back in the day when most bigger games were like the original Resident Evil, and you were guiding a little figure made of three polygons through a matte painting, the tank controls made sense because "forward" would frequently not be the same direction from one static camera angle to another. There are several areas in the first Parasite Eve, for example, where holding one direction on the D-pad to leave an area will make your character immediately turn around and go back the way you came once the new area loads. FF7, IIRC, has a few incidences of the same problem.

You can just about get away with that kind of thing when you're just exploring an overworld in an RPG, but in a game like RE where you actually depend on quick reactions, you need a different setup. They didn't actually have contextually-sensitive movement controls, where "forward" would remain forward in a new camera angle until such a time as you let go of the thumbstick, until the first Devil May Cry.

most things about REmake are really old hat, including the loving "ten thousand keys to juggle with your piss poor inventory." There should have been more focus on "what weapon do I keep" as opposed to "which of these 7 stupid things do I keep." Add in the fact that you can't even loving reload your empty gun with a clip if it's equipped OR use a herb when your inventory is full and the whole situation is just annoying.

I'm fine with tank controls, but like "lovely inventory management" it's a product of an older, shittier era, no matter how you tint your nostalgia; it's bearable but you won't that kind of artificial difficulty in many games now.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Renoistic posted:

Thanks, I'll give merc a shot. You can slide into enemies to stun them? What kind of attacks can you dodge with the aim+crouch move? I mean, does it have any invincibility frames?

EDIT: The game is at its best when it's as silly as possible, like when Helena performs OTT wrestling moves on zombies.

i don't believe the neutral aim+dodge crouch move has any invincibility frames- it's pretty unreliable for dodging stuff. thing is, when you hold a direction and do the dodge you do a max payne style shootdodge that tends to low profile like 90% of the enemy attacks in the game. and you can stay on the ground after doing so by holding down the aim button to continue low profiling stuff. this is particularly great against dogs because it puts you even level to aim at them and they can't attack you on the ground without getting really lucky

to slide you sprint and aim- that also puts you in the grounded state if you hold it. you can also 180 from slides too by hitting quick turn on your pad (i dont remember the button) or just manually doing it on mouse. this is really good against certain enemies who are tricky to deal with otherwise

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Just finished the ashley part on re4 professional mode, and the game really isn't too hard at all. The game is actually even better with the added challenge, because now you have to be more resourceful with your weapons and ammo, for example I never used the red grenades in normal, but now I use them if I have them and because I know the enemy layout, I can stop just short of the trigger area and snipe a couple of them before actually fighting them. My accuracy has increased, in normal I had about 65% and now I have 85%, so that may be a big part of me breezing through many areas. The ammo and health drops are plentiful and you just have to be a bit more mobile and a bit more accurate than on normal, that's it. The bosses haven't been hard at all for now.

Goddamn it's a great game. I've never played any of the older RE games, should I try REmake?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

Just finished the ashley part on re4 professional mode, and the game really isn't too hard at all. The game is actually even better with the added challenge, because now you have to be more resourceful with your weapons and ammo, for example I never used the red grenades in normal, but now I use them if I have them and because I know the enemy layout, I can stop just short of the trigger area and snipe a couple of them before actually fighting them. My accuracy has increased, in normal I had about 65% and now I have 85%, so that may be a big part of me breezing through many areas. The ammo and health drops are plentiful and you just have to be a bit more mobile and a bit more accurate than on normal, that's it. The bosses haven't been hard at all for now.

Goddamn it's a great game. I've never played any of the older RE games, should I try REmake?

Yes, but don't expect anything similar to RE4, it is very much not that game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I think REmake is really good and enjoy the tank controls and limited inventory system. But RE4 is also good. So is 6. And all the other ones. I think I just really like Resident Evil.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

As for nothing inherently being wrong with tank controls, the human body does not work that way.

I'm still trying to understand this.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Was pushing boxes and poo poo around always this futzy in REmake? I'm playing with a xboxone controller and any time I've had to push boxes in a manner that wasn't just "push box forward" I find either Jill/Chris to continue pushing 1-3 times after I let go of the stick and it's really hard to push something slightly forward/back. I had to reset the initial map room like three times with each character before I got it right. The jewelry box puzzle was also quite hard since hitting the sweet spot for the pieces is so finicky, though I remember this being a problem with the cube version as well.

The only time I get slowdown is occasionally after reading notes/accessing the item box. The game will sometimes go slo-mo for like a second and then resume at 60 FPS. Any one else experiencing this or maybe there's some type of fix like enabling/disabling v-sync or using a variable frame rate?

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you
Well REmake on ps4 just crashed while I was trying a no save run when Barry gave me the grenade launcher. Never experienced that on the Gamecube. It makes me not want to play any more if that sort of thing can happen at any time.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Reich Joyce posted:

Well REmake on ps4 just crashed while I was trying a no save run when Barry gave me the grenade launcher. Never experienced that on the Gamecube. It makes me not want to play any more if that sort of thing can happen at any time.

Just don't get/use the grenade launcher :shepface:

No that generally never happened on the GameCube. poo poo was rock solid.

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you

Mogomra posted:

Just don't get/use the grenade launcher :shepface:

No that generally never happened on the GameCube. poo poo was rock solid.

Well thinking about it, you pick it up yourself if you meet Barry earlier on to get the acid rounds...I think. Who knows what actually caused it though? So many variables!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm still trying to understand this.

Do you walk like a tank in real life? Or is your body much more versatile in its movements?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I run forwards and backwards, occasionally jumping on mushrooms

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

blackguy32 posted:

Do you walk like a tank in real life? Or is your body much more versatile in its movements?

Yeah, it makes no sense, but that's part of what makes the game so tense. If you can move around realistically, it's a piece of cake to dodge all the zombos.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Reich Joyce posted:

A no save run of anything just sounds like a bad idea. But then again I grew up in an area where the power would go out once a week or so and I'm constantly paranoid about power failures now.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Len posted:

A no save run of anything just sounds like a bad idea.

There's an achievement for it, you see.

blackguy32 posted:

I will spend an entire day confined to REMake style movement if you spend an entire day mimicking RE4 movement.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I will spend an entire day confined to REMake style movement if you spend an entire day mimicking RE4 movement.

These movement schemes are practically identical. The biggest difference is that RE4 did away with fixed camera angles and added melee moves. It wasn't until RE5 that they tweaked it more, finally allowing you to shoot and move at the same time.

I always think its hilarious when people knock tank controls and then cite Resident Evil 4 as if it doesn't have tank controls.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wait, I thought it was Revelations/6 the games were you could actually move and aim? RE5 forced you to stay still to fire.

I still think Dead Space 2 had the best control scheme for an action horror game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

These movement schemes are practically identical. The biggest difference is that RE4 did away with fixed camera angles and added melee moves. It wasn't until RE5 that they tweaked it more, finally allowing you to shoot and move at the same time.

I always think its hilarious when people knock tank controls and then cite Resident Evil 4 as if it doesn't have tank controls.

yeah I didn't think that one through properly since RE4 controlling mostly the same was like half of my original point

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

No game in existence properly simulates real life movement, except maybe QWOP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resi 4 uses tank controls. Blown your mind, I know.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

Do you come back from a torn jugular by snorting herbs?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hakkesshu posted:

No game in existence properly simulates real life movement, except maybe QWOP.
Octodad perfects it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

poptart_fairy posted:

Do you come back from a torn jugular by snorting herbs?

Depends on the herb :420:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I just finished my first playthrough of Remake on sissy babby mode. Had to switch from the new controls back to tank in one particular instance only, during a timed puzzle mid-game. The new controls are pretty solid, though they can be maddening during rooms that have multiple camera angles.

Who was Son-of-Wesker suplexing in that gif from five pages ago? I don't recognize that scene at all, was it from Revelations?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

I just finished my first playthrough of Remake on sissy babby mode. Had to switch from the new controls back to tank in one particular instance only, during a timed puzzle mid-game. The new controls are pretty solid, though they can be maddening during rooms that have multiple camera angles.

Who was Son-of-Wesker suplexing in that gif from five pages ago? I don't recognize that scene at all, was it from Revelations?

Resident Evil 6, final fight against Ustanak.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I finished Leon's first chapter of RE6 and really don't like how bulletspongy the enemies are. Shooting enemies in the leg like in 4 and 5 doesn't seem to work and the only reliable way to cause staggers so far seems to be using quickshots, and often Helena just performs her normal melee attack anyway because you have to get REALLY close to get the finishers to work. The window for counters is so tiny I've only managed to pull it off accidentally.

The combat just feels sluggish to be honest. Any tips for making the fame more enjoyable?

One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned - the remote explosives are probably the best "grenades" in the game, because they're murderous as hell and you can set them by sliding, and then detonate them right away risk free.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RE 6 is more of a brawler than a shooter. Guns just soften enemies up so you can get close enough to punch them in the face. Don't play it like RE 4 or 5 because everyone does that and then gets frustrated with the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, game does a really terrible of explaining that. Didn't a Goon put together a bunch of videos demonstrating how to get the most from the combat system?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

RE 6 is more of a brawler than a shooter. Guns just soften enemies up so you can get close enough to punch them in the face. Don't play it like RE 4 or 5 because everyone does that and then gets frustrated with the game.

I didn't have any issue playing it like RE4 or 5 solo. This thread just made a mountain out of a molehill for RE6.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Aces High posted:

it is, I have done it. I almost broke my tv in frustration but I did it.

Don't ask me how I did it but it involved forcing Sheva to follow and then leave several times in a row at the beginning, disabling Jill first and then making sure that Wesker only ever followed me. I may have also taken longer than 7 minutes but that's because I couldn't trust Sheva to not get killed by Jill.

This also took at LEAST 90 minutes and I think I had to restart around 100 times, I also did not learn my lesson of just going online for some random person to play because I finished the entire campaign on Professional, with AI. Christ surprisingly enough the later Wesker fights are a cakewalk compared to the Wesker and Jill fight

RE5 is a very bad videogame, while RE4 is amongst the best games ever made, a great deal because of poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Resident Evil 6, final fight against Ustanak.

drat, I wasn't playing properly then, would've appreciated pulling that off.