Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Ralphy is great, because around the time you get to California he turns from a rather naive kid to a rather cynical teenager.

Also because if you give him Animal friends to fix his stats, and boost his Brawling to 100 he can kill pretty much anything easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

Question about Damonta: (Spoilers? I don't know)
When you find Tinker operating on the girl, you fight, Tinker stops the combat, and you're free to gently caress around. I've realized that what you're supposed to do is disable the wireless console and then use the console that blows all of the robots up, but using the booby trap console ends up killing the girl with shrapnel anyways. I reloaded the save to try this again and the entire sequence is hosed because now when I try disabling the wireless console, it ends up transmitting a "null error spam" message to all the robots, alerting them. Is this some kind of savescum protection?

No it isn't. You CompSci the small console on the bottom to disable his automatic hostage kill ability then use the robot explosion console if you want.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bemis posted:

No it isn't. You CompSci the small console on the bottom to disable his automatic hostage kill ability then use the robot explosion console if you want.

Yeah, I understand the explosion console isn't required, but since I reloaded the save the wireless hostage console alerts every single enemy in the building with a "Null Error Spam" debuff, which it never did before. This "null error spam" only brings up two results on google, and neither had any explanation. I had to reload two times because on both occasions where she stops combat I was in the middle of firing a burst at her. She would get down to 1/2 or 1/4 health to trigger the "No, stop! Don't shoot or she gets it!" scene where the combat sequence ends, but then the subsequent bullets in the burst would attack her, starting up combat again. It's pretty lovely design.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
At release, there was a bug where the whole sequence didn't reset properly when loading an earlier save in the same location. There wasn't any workaround for it so I just sucked it up and continued the game. Apparently that was fixed some time later, but maybe it persists in some fashion? I'd ask around the official forums.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:psyduck:

For anyone else having trouble figuring out how to do anything at all in the Bastion of Faith without actually joining them: tell Ascension McDade that you want to join the Church Vigilant and he'll give you the quest to topple Malediction Merriweather. This doesn't actually cause you to join the Church and it doesn't make Brother Thomas leave the party.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

:psyduck:

For anyone else having trouble figuring out how to do anything at all in the Bastion of Faith without actually joining them: tell Ascension McDade that you want to join the Church Vigilant and he'll give you the quest to topple Malediction Merriweather. This doesn't actually cause you to join the Church and it doesn't make Brother Thomas leave the party.

I'm pretty sure when Merriweather hires you to ace everyone Brother Thomas doesn't care either. I killed everyone he asked me to, then everyone else and he didn't care.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Anyone else getting a bug on shrine stashes, where the place you're supposed to dig has already been dug before you even arrived? This is leaving me sad.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ehhhhhhh.

EDIT; http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/24/brian-fargo-announces-first-bards-tale-sequel-in-27-years

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
:unsmith:

Shame we cannot actually have a thread about this. Beyond the general Kickstarter thread, that is. Which I now need to return to once more.

Not that I am the right person to cheerlead for it; I honestly only played the original Tales of the Unknown Volume I: The Bard's Tale(tm) here or there at my friend's place, at least until about a decade ago when I finally decided to rectify it by playing it on my DOS machine. But then I got seduced by the siren's song of levelling for no purpose and I have not even finished the wine cellars yet my dudes are all like in the 20s. Sigh.

Also hahaha at this preview video for Wasteland 2 I never saw before. It even includes the "accidentally kicking the skull pillar onto Ralphy" thing the thread was angry about briefly earlier as obviously intended to be comic relief. I guess that clears that up.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I'm about to restart this game after giving up at the Prison a couple of months ago, so I skimmed this thread. A recurring complaint I've noticed is that Mechanical Repair and Animal Whisperer are apparently nigh useless. How many situations are there in the game where I would absolutely have to have those skills on somebody and there are no other solutions? Are they things I could get away with offloading onto companions for the entire game?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I'm about to restart this game after giving up at the Prison a couple of months ago, so I skimmed this thread. A recurring complaint I've noticed is that Mechanical Repair and Animal Whisperer are apparently nigh useless. How many situations are there in the game where I would absolutely have to have those skills on somebody and there are no other solutions? Are they things I could get away with offloading onto companions for the entire game?

You can get away with completely skipping Brute Force if you want. It allows you access into some areas but some TNT or a grenade will accomplish the same thing. Animal Whisper is useful if you end a certain quest a certain way, but other than that it's just a nice secondary skill to have. Mechanical Repair becomes a bit more useful in the latter portion of the game but isn't entirely essential. And, yeah, you can offload skills onto companions for the game. The companions you get after HIghpool/Ag Center are good for picking up a skill or two you can skip with your main party if you want to.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There was one cool use for Mechanical Repair later on which gives you the location of a Shrine but I figure you'd probably be able to find it without it.

Brute Force also allows you to skip certain sections. No skills are entirely useless, and every skill probably has a scenario where using it would be of great advantage, but don't sweat it too much.

Animal Whisperer is worth it for the army of screaming goats you can cultivate.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It's fun to just not worry about covering all the skills in a single play through, and decide to pick them up another time. However, it seems possible to go through the game and cover every skill competently, except for a few less useful ones like brute force, animal whisperer and mechanical repair, if you plan ahead and take certain companions. Yes even with a team of 4 intelligence Rangers.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Quarex posted:

Shame we cannot actually have a thread about this. Beyond the general Kickstarter thread, that is. Which I now need to return to once more.

Not that I am the right person to cheerlead for it; I honestly only played the original Tales of the Unknown Volume I: The Bard's Tale(tm) here or there at my friend's place, at least until about a decade ago when I finally decided to rectify it by playing it on my DOS machine. But then I got seduced by the siren's song of levelling for no purpose and I have not even finished the wine cellars yet my dudes are all like in the 20s. Sigh.

I played the original bard's tale when I was a kid and never got further than the Castle but I guess I'm sort of excited about the new one? That said I don't know what changed in 2 and 3.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Animal Whisperer is worth it for the army of screaming goats you can cultivate.

The problem I had with the army of screaming goats is that in combat they (a) block movement and (b) don't ever move, no matter what.

It was great until they managed to trap my entire party in a narrow hallway (and died in the subsequent hail of enemy grenades).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Ddraig posted:

No skills are entirely useless, and every skill probably has a scenario

barter is not useless but it is pointless

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Quarex posted:

But then I got seduced by the siren's song of levelling for no purpose and I have not even finished the wine cellars yet my dudes are all like in the 20s. Sigh.

This was definitely a problem for me in Bard's Tale 2 and 3. I've yet to beat 2 (I think I had a game about 1/3 done on a now-dead hard drive) and actually doing the last dungeon in 3 seemed so boring that I put it off and grinded up a few mages to around level 200 before finally finishing the game while looking at a map of everything in Malefia the whole few minutes it took.

Taear posted:

I played the original bard's tale when I was a kid and never got further than the Castle but I guess I'm sort of excited about the new one? That said I don't know what changed in 2 and 3.

They were both considerably larger and added a new class or two. Any changes were basically good ideas.

Punch Card fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 26, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ToxicFrog posted:

The problem I had with the army of screaming goats is that in combat they (a) block movement and (b) don't ever move, no matter what.

It was great until they managed to trap my entire party in a narrow hallway (and died in the subsequent hail of enemy grenades).

I loved them because a few situations (notably the farm shootout at the Prison) the AI decided to prioritize them over me.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I loved them because a few situations (notably the farm shootout at the Prison) the AI decided to prioritize them over me.

Doesn't outweigh the way they interfere with movement, for me.

Besides, if that's what you want you can always spring The Night Terror from Darwin, it has a metric assload of HP and makes a great decoy.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Will I be able to import my team from 1/2/3 though

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Moxie posted:

Will I be able to import my team from 1/2/3 though
Yes, and in keeping with 1980s tradition, also from Wizardry I/II/III, Ultima III, Deathlord, and Mass Effect 2.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Quarex posted:

Hey, you're just a hop, skip, and jump from what's quite possibly the very first Annoying Sewer Level ever!

But, ehhh, I kinda sorta have lukewarm feelings about this one, despite being the biggest first-person dungeon crawler fan on the planet. The Bard's Tale was really not that great overall. The first one was pretty good, and it had a lot of things that were kind of revolutionary at the time--having a big overworld city to explore (and you can go into EVERY HOUSE!) instead of just being relegated to dungeons, the schools of magic, and character classes having unique abilities.

But then the second and third games were just bad--BT2 was OK up until about town 4, and the Death Snare concept was pretty rad, but then dungeons took a turn for the super bullshit (vast dark, anti-magic zones with teleporters and spinners ahoy!) and fights just turned into battles against hordes of damage sponges. Anything that was not a caster was relegated to meat shield. Bard's Tale 3 was even worse--I liked it but I can't deny that really the game was just bad. It took that crappy second half to Bard's Tale 2 and made it the whole game. Also Bard's Tale 3 was the first game in the series that Brian Fargo was actually in charge of--the first two were directed by Michael Cranford.

Quite frankly I don't know how they can pull off a Bard's Tale IV. I'd be hesitate to buy, let alone back, a Bard's Tale IV that was done in the same manner as Wasteland 2--that is to say, radically change the gameplay but stay faithful to the lore. Unlike Wasteland 1, though, the lore/scenario/whatever for The Bard's Tale was not good--it was about the most generic fantasy cliche ever, like Wizardry stripped of its personality. The entire plot of all three games was "Kill the evil wizard." And I can't see inXile not changing up the formula for The Bard's Tale--as much as I would love to see a first-person party-based dungeon crawler with non-tactical combat against tons of enemies instead of just a few at a time, there's not much of a market for them.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Genpei Turtle posted:

But, ehhh, I kinda sorta have lukewarm feelings about this one
This all sounds pretty much on the nose to me. I have always wondered what, exactly, it was that they would do if they gave a sequel to a game that everyone played because it was "Wizardry but better" as opposed to "holy poo poo genre-foundational open world THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER" where it is fairly obvious where you can go from there.

But you know, I am nothing if not optimistic. I am also nothing if not rarely disappointed :smug: I have absolutely no clue how they are going to go with this, but it will be, at the very least, fun to play in some vague sense. If they do something hilarious like go from top-down exploration to a first-person battle screen for Retro Points++ (even if only for order-issuing) that could be interesting, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Quarex posted:

But you know, I am nothing if not optimistic. I am also nothing if not rarely disappointed :smug: I have absolutely no clue how they are going to go with this, but it will be, at the very least, fun to play in some vague sense. If they do something hilarious like go from top-down exploration to a first-person battle screen for Retro Points++ (even if only for order-issuing) that could be interesting, though.

I'm having a hard time imagining 99 berserkers, 99 berserkers, 99 berserkers and 99 berserkers in the context of a top down game, I tell you what. And since they're my strongest memory of a battle in Bard's Tale...

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Taear posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining 99 berserkers, 99 berserkers, 99 berserkers and 99 berserkers in the context of a top down game, I tell you what. And since they're my strongest memory of a battle in Bard's Tale...

That's everybody's strongest memory of The Bard's Tale. Every winning party ever was built on the steaming corpses of the legions of Baron Harkyn. 5 north, 11 east, 2 up. Those coordinates have forever been burned in my brain.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Hey, you're just a hop, skip, and jump from what's quite possibly the very first Annoying Sewer Level ever!

But, ehhh, I kinda sorta have lukewarm feelings about this one, despite being the biggest first-person dungeon crawler fan on the planet. The Bard's Tale was really not that great overall. The first one was pretty good, and it had a lot of things that were kind of revolutionary at the time--having a big overworld city to explore (and you can go into EVERY HOUSE!) instead of just being relegated to dungeons, the schools of magic, and character classes having unique abilities.

But then the second and third games were just bad--BT2 was OK up until about town 4, and the Death Snare concept was pretty rad, but then dungeons took a turn for the super bullshit (vast dark, anti-magic zones with teleporters and spinners ahoy!) and fights just turned into battles against hordes of damage sponges. Anything that was not a caster was relegated to meat shield. Bard's Tale 3 was even worse--I liked it but I can't deny that really the game was just bad. It took that crappy second half to Bard's Tale 2 and made it the whole game.

I enjoyed 3, but 2 was hot garbage. "Say to me the value of rote actions" my rear end.

The only thing I can't figure out, is why revisit this title? Nostalgia aside, I don't really see anywhere for the story to go. May as well just make a sequel to Dragon Wars, instead.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just started playing this recently and i am near the end where i have to retake the Bastion, i killed Jones and the logbook mentions that. But Ascension McDale and Veronica don't stand in the round chamber as they are supposed to, but i can see in the room description that they are having a ceremony. I have reloaded several times but nothing changes, from searching i can see that this is an old problem, but i assume that there is no solution other than to just go on and leave it unfinished?
I really like this game, but there are a lot of bugs, especially in the California area.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

quote:

Hello Backer,

We're happy to inform you that your Signed Collectors Edition of Wasteland 2 has shipped! Thank you for your patience! We hope that you will receive it soon and in good order.

:getin:

gently caress yes, now to be disappointed every single day when the post arrives and it's not here :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

:getin:

gently caress yes, now to be disappointed every single day when the post arrives and it's not here :(

I gave mine away.

To a close friend who really deserves it, sure, but still.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Oasx posted:

I just started playing this recently and i am near the end where i have to retake the Bastion, i killed Jones and the logbook mentions that. But Ascension McDale and Veronica don't stand in the round chamber as they are supposed to, but i can see in the room description that they are having a ceremony. I have reloaded several times but nothing changes, from searching i can see that this is an old problem, but i assume that there is no solution other than to just go on and leave it unfinished?
I really like this game, but there are a lot of bugs, especially in the California area.

Make sure you freed the penitents, destroyed the salt lab, and killed Duke and Swifty. That part was very frustrating for me. I wasn't sure if my game was bugged since I thought I had done everything I had to do.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I have a spoilery question, what are the results of the various choices in Angel Oracle's main quest? As in, what eventually ends up happening to the town?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

evilmiera posted:

I have a spoilery question, what are the results of the various choices in Angel Oracle's main quest? As in, what eventually ends up happening to the town?
On a more general note, if anyone has a compilation of all the various endings, for characters and towns both, I'd love to see it.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Xander77 posted:

On a more general note, if anyone has a compilation of all the various endings, for characters and towns both, I'd love to see it.

Heavy spoiler warnings obviously, but they (the texts and requirements) are all compiled over on the wiki (that'll answer your question too evilmiera)

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Is it worth it maxing out my non-combat skills?
Will I still be able to unlock pretty much everything if I only level up my soft skills to about 7 if I'm alright with attempting difficult lock picks, etc?

More importantly, did anyone encounter any instances where they needed a max speech skill? I've focused mostly on Smart and Kiss rear end, but if I want to get Hard rear end up there I don't know if I'll be able to max each one out.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Zebrasectomy posted:

Will I still be able to unlock pretty much everything if I only level up my soft skills to about 7 if I'm alright with attempting difficult lock picks, etc?

More importantly, did anyone encounter any instances where they needed a max speech skill? I've focused mostly on Smart and Kiss rear end, but if I want to get Hard rear end up there I don't know if I'll be able to max each one out.

For lockpicking and safecracking you can get a trinket in CA that gives +2 to both.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I decided to just finish the game and not try to deal with that bug anymore, some general thoughts :

i wish there were better pistols in the game, at the later stages they just become completely useless.
When I replay the game sometime I think I will make two snipers and two energy Weapon users.
Melee is super good, thought I never found any blades weapon that could rival the combat machete I found early on.
The Night Terror was a fun Easter egg, and I was surprised that mine was down to 6000 health towards the end. Though I wish npcs would acknowledge that this weird creature was just tagging along.
The camera was my biggest annoyance, and from my experience the cause of most of the bugs.
The option to distribute loot to the ones that could use it the most was a very nice feature.
During the end battle, was the Mad Monk npc supposed to do something? He just wandered around a bit and finally got killed.
Speaking of the Mad Monks, are you supposed to avoid them entirely in the Canyon of Titan if you want to help the Diamondback Militia?
Once I had the Monk escorting me it was impossible to talk to them.

I know that the game was done on a small budget, and overall I thought it was really good. But I wish the portraits didn't repeat so much, and sometimes the 3d character models, the descriptions and the portraits showed three completely different things.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 30, 2015

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Zebrasectomy posted:

Non-combat skills are more valuable to max out than combat skills, actually. But to answer your question you'll have to max out pretty much everything if you want access to everything. There are a lot of locks that will have a 60% of opening at level 10, for example. That means they can't be opened period for anything less than 9. Though it can get annoying having to constantly swap your equipment, you can usually afford to go a little less than max and make up the difference with trinkets.

It's still possible to max out all the non-combat skills by creating a party of high-intelligence characters and judicious selection of NPCs. My first party was a 4-8-8-10 int party with Vulture's Cry, Pizepi, and Lexicanium, and between them by the end of the game there was a 10 in every non-combat skill somewhere. Even Barter, which is kinda useless.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Also because if you give him Animal friends to fix his stats, and boost his Brawling to 100 he can kill pretty much anything easily.

Whoever said Brawling does the most damage per AP was right on the money. After I gave my brawler the Choice ring it wasn't even fair.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Oasx posted:

Speaking of the Mad Monks, are you supposed to avoid them entirely in the Canyon of Titan if you want to help the Diamondback Militia?
Once I had the Monk escorting me it was impossible to talk to them.

You need to talk to Shadowy Figure near the entrance before getting your mark. And I'm pretty sure you have to avoid the DBM patrols once you do have him. You also can't trip the alarm when opening up their entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zebrasectomy posted:

Combat skills only need to be between 4-6 before they start seeing a noticeable drop in quality per SP spent. Outside of Brawling/Handguns, you shouldn't be leveling up Combat Skills past 6-7, and you can probably cap them at 4-5 if you have a character with high Leadership.

Noncombat skills need to be 10 by California, as a lot of endgame things are level 11/12/13, and can only be attempted with a level 9/10 in the skill. However if you don't mind spamming skills ,you can find trinkets with +1-+2 in skills and just equip them when you need to open stuff.

• Locked thread