Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

John Luebke posted:

It has the original music. Only the Dual Shock version of the Director's Cut uses the new, awful OST, the regular Director's Cut has the original music as well.

Alright, thanks. That was genuinely a deal breaker for me.

Geight posted:

I'm considering buying The Evil Within since it's on the steam weekend sale - If I like Resident Evil in all its various iterations, will I probably like that?

I think so - there's enough entertaining stuff in there to make up for the occasional weird bits that don't quite work. That said you'll want to download Flawless Widescreen to fix the awful FOV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Geight posted:

I'm considering buying The Evil Within since it's on the steam weekend sale - If I like Resident Evil in all its various iterations, will I probably like that?

It's kind of an awkward mashup between the resource management/scarcity of the first few games with the shooting of the later ones, but though it's definitely not a *perfect* game, I would say that the high points are high enough and crazy enough that you should go for it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The Evil Within thread here is called 'Resident Evil 4: 2' or something like that. It's not as good as RE4, but that game's perfect. I liked it well enough at full price.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Geight posted:

TEW is no RE4, but I liked it; for 23CA it's worth it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Inventory system is awful. Because you have two characters you can switch between, they thought that you'd be able to carry more items so they removed item boxes. Any items you don't have room for, you have to leave on the floor and any items you don't want to use anymore you also have to drop on the floor. Where this all falls apart is that many items take up two inventory slots for some reason, especially the hookshot and the hookshot in particular is used once in the beginning of the game and then only used again multiple times in the late midgame and it's quite an annoying backtrack to pick up the hookshot just to progress.

The story's also kind of unnecessary too and didn't need to be told. It does have Wesker and Birkin just watching the madness of a dead person turned into an anime character via the power of leeches through CCTV monitors though.

I don't know why they had to make items take up two slots, it just made things so much more annoying. You give a character a shotgun and shells and that's half of their inventory gone. Entering into the late game, you'll have a shotgun, grenade launcher, magnum, and hookshot, which is over half of the total inventory right there. That doesn't even include ammo, health, or handguns.

I think they were trying to address complaints of people not being able to temporarily drop a key so that they could grab an herb off the floor, which was obviously annoying. But in the end everyone just left everything in the great hall or whatever, and it worked out like Real Survival in REmake.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I liked RE4's inventory management, with the briefcase and all that expands the more money you sink into it. It would have broke (probably literally more than figuratively) the game to somehow work it into Remake, but it would have been really nice.

Also what a total cocktease, giving us 0 when all we really want is 2. Seriously capcom. Just remake 2. Please.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Where this all falls apart is that many items take up two inventory slots for some reason, especially the hookshot and the hookshot in particular is used once in the beginning of the game and then only used again multiple times in the late midgame and it's quite an annoying backtrack to pick up the hookshot just to progress.

The reason the hookshot exists is to make sure you have two free inventory slots for whatever area you are hookshotting to.

NotAnArtist posted:

Also what a total cocktease, giving us 0 when all we really want is 2. Seriously capcom. Just remake 2. Please.

How is it a cocktease? The game is complete. It requires no further effort to sell.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

NotAnArtist posted:

I liked RE4's inventory management, with the briefcase and all that expands the more money you sink into it. It would have broke (probably literally more than figuratively) the game to somehow work it into Remake, but it would have been really nice.

Ideally if REmake and 0's figures are high enough, a 2 remake becomes a possibility. But who knows.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I remember RE0 having very :effort: monster design. Like they just looked at what creepy-crawlies they hadn't done yet, and said "OK, now make it big. Done!"

And how did that scorpion even get on the train? Where was it hiding?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How is it a cocktease? The game is complete. It requires no further effort to sell.

... I just want a high-res refinishing of the sequel, like Remake. Let me dream :unsmith:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Spalec posted:

I remember RE0 having very :effort: monster design. Like they just looked at what creepy-crawlies they hadn't done yet, and said "OK, now make it big. Done!"

Big Scorpion, Big Centipede (Millipede?), Big Bat... Which ones am I missing? My memories a bit foggy for RE0. (I'll still buy the HD Remaster because it was my first RE game, for better or worse.)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NotAnArtist posted:

... I just want a high-res refinishing of the sequel, like Remake. Let me dream :unsmith:

My biggest regret is never unlocking Tofu, though I swear I did the requirement for it. Couldn't bring myself to try again.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, as someone who never played the old games, but decided to go back to them recently, Zero isn't a good game.

1 was great, and easy to see why everyone loved it. Tense, interesting stuff going on, good level design, good enemies. All around a good game.

2 was even better! More interesting characters, better level design, even cooler enemies. The stuff in the lab at the end dragged a bit, but whatever, I enjoyed it.

3 wasn't very good. Nemesis was boring, they suddenly added 3-4 more shots worth of HP to everything, the amount of ammo was reduced to force you to use the dumb crafting system ( which if you used, totally broke the game/all tenseness ). To top it all off, the story didn't matter/need to exist, because 2/CV/4 also tell us what happened to Racoon City, and also tell us Jill was nowhere near Racoon during that time period.

And then Zero was the worst of the lot, to the point I never finished it. Billy and Rebecca both didn't add much to the overall story, the plot was dumb as hell, the environments weren't good, the inventory system was a total mess, and the enemies you faced were annoying more then scary. You eventually get into this fun loop midgame facing leech monsters that'll reform after you kill them, take almost all your ammo, and block doorways/hallways/can attack you from a distance while also blocking the entire pathway, which just weren't any fun to fight at all. So you were forced to fight them, then punished for fighting them.

I wouldn't mind a 2/CV Steam HD remaster though. Or hell, just through CV:X on Steam with a good control system, that'll probably be enough.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Geight posted:

Big Scorpion, Big Centipede (Millipede?), Big Bat... Which ones am I missing? My memories a bit foggy for RE0. (I'll still buy the HD Remaster because it was my first RE game, for better or worse.)

Big frogs. Crazy monkeys

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Big leeches

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I thought Big Frogs were featured somewhere else in the series, so I didn't count them. Crazy monkeys and Big Leeches are all RE0 though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So how exactly is the RE: HD port? Capcom has been knocking them out of the park recently, but it doesn't hurt to be certain.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Geight posted:

I thought Big Frogs were featured somewhere else in the series, so I didn't count them. Crazy monkeys and Big Leeches are all RE0 though.

There were frogmen hunters in Nemesis. Resident Evil 0 just had a big rear end frog. :effort:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

blackguy32 posted:

Big frogs. Crazy monkeys
I think the Cleaners were supposed to be the crazy monkeys.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ddraig posted:

So how exactly is the RE: HD port? Capcom has been knocking them out of the park recently, but it doesn't hurt to be certain.

On PC it seems to be good. On other platforms, it has trouble maintaining a consistent framerate despite being on platforms much more powerful than a Gamecube it seems.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RE0 also has the problem for me of just having really forgettable environments. It's claim to fame is that its RE on a train, but that is not really the most interesting environment to navigate and it quickly gives way to another generic umbrella complex (which is also a prison of some sort?) Its been long enough though that I would probably replay.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Ddraig posted:

I think it's really good, I'm running at all the settings maxed, except I'm capped at 30fps because frankly my computer is really fuckin old, and running it at 60fps was causing noticeable desync between character's lips moving and when I heard their lines in cutscenes.

Capcom PC ports have all been really good lately except Dead Rising 3, which just flat doesn't work on my computer despite being above minimum requirements.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Spalec posted:

There's a file on the train somewhere that mentions that a lot of the people on the train were Umbrella employees, and they had the scorpion with them in storage as part of an experiment.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think the Cleaners were supposed to be the crazy monkeys.

I actually had to look up what a cleaner was.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Geight posted:

Big Leeches were in Outbreak too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

I actually had to look up what a cleaner was.

They're like Leon. Professionals.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Rookersh posted:

3 wasn't very good. Nemesis was boring, they suddenly added 3-4 more shots worth of HP to everything, the amount of ammo was reduced to force you to use the dumb crafting system ( which if you used, totally broke the game/all tenseness ). To top it all off, the story didn't matter/need to exist, because 2/CV/4 also tell us what happened to Racoon City, and also tell us Jill was nowhere near Racoon during that time period.

3 feels more like a side story with Code Veronica being the next 'important' installment in the series. I still liked it, especially the slight diverging paths you could get through the choice scenes or by going to one area before another. It wasn't huge but added a little bit of replay value.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

RE0 also has the problem for me of just having really forgettable environments. It's claim to fame is that its RE on a train, but that is not really the most interesting environment to navigate and it quickly gives way to another generic umbrella complex (which is also a prison of some sort?) Its been long enough though that I would probably replay.

It's so much dumber than that. The train crashes at a secret umbrella facility with a mansion front that's nearly identical to the RE1 one....but not. I wonder how many nearly identical mansions Umbrella built in those drat forests.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OxMan posted:

It's so much dumber than that. The train crashes at a secret umbrella facility with a mansion front that's nearly identical to the RE1 one....but not. I wonder how many nearly identical mansions Umbrella built in those drat forests.

I think it also explodes. It also means that Rebecca put up with two incidents in the same night.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Len posted:

Big Leeches were in Outbreak too.

That's cool. I don't know much about Outbreak except the general premise, which sounds rad as hell. They should give that game a steam release!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Geight posted:

That's cool. I don't know much about Outbreak except the general premise, which sounds rad as hell. They should give that game a steam release!

It also has a giant zombie elephant which ruled. All of the gameplay mechanics and lack of voice communication did not.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah I remember a lot of people saying the game was just ahead of its time. If it had voice chat and the usual console/steamworks matchmaking stuff, we'd be golden.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Outbreak's general mechanics were pretty cool and balanced around 4-player co-op, the problem being that around 2/3rds of the people playing the game would never be in a situation where they could take advantage of playing cooperatively with other people and the remaining third who did had no way of properly communicating with one another.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Outbreak had a lot of problems, but oh man it had amazing, AMAZING music.
Seriously, just watch the game's intro here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HcxMvprYa0
That is the coolest, classiest, creepiest opening any game could ever hope to have and it's wasted on this bizarre side story that no one will ever play.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That is pretty cool. For some reason in reminds me of a Tim Burton movie. Weird how Capcom was using the movie logo for the outbreak series.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I watched the trailer for Revelations 2. Barry's looking an awful lot like James whatshisface from Inside the Actor's Studio.

Gonna be real disappointed when you don't start off with a magnum, too.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

John Luebke posted:

It has the original music. Only the Dual Shock version of the Director's Cut uses the new, awful OST, the regular Director's Cut has the original music as well.

You take that back!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

NotAnArtist posted:

I watched the trailer for Revelations 2. Barry's looking an awful lot like James whatshisface from Inside the Actor's Studio.

Gonna be real disappointed when you don't start off with a magnum, too.

I'll bet Barry does in fact start with a magnum, but some misadventure befalls it in his introduction

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Geight posted:

Yeah I remember a lot of people saying the game was just ahead of its time. If it had voice chat and the usual console/steamworks matchmaking stuff, we'd be golden.

I've said that in the past and I firmly stand by it, I think Outbreak HD Remaster or whatever would be an excellent chance to finally bring that game into the era it so badly wanted to exist in in the first place.

Policenaut posted:

Outbreak's general mechanics were pretty cool and balanced around 4-player co-op, the problem being that around 2/3rds of the people playing the game would never be in a situation where they could take advantage of playing cooperatively with other people and the remaining third who did had no way of properly communicating with one another.

I'm nigh on certain the lack of voice chat or whatever was intentional (I remember reading something to that effect) to force players to communicate with those lovely ad-libs and gestures for the sake of "atmosphere" and "mood". This was a terrible idea but nowadays I could just be all like "well gently caress that poo poo" and hop on Skype with my buddies and communicate that way and have a grand ol' time.

i have actually played outbreak online before with total strangers and its a very very mixed bag because of the complete inability to communicate, I've gotten frustrated a lot from not being able to discern the intentions of a teammate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

My god, it's like the theme for the world's saddest circus clown.