Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Hello, I have spent a day without internet.

My last game I was scum I got outed for posting to much and literally quoting the OP but having to much information, why would I post a lot of trash the next game? I'm just lovely at posting I guess. :shrug:

I still have a gut on EXACT, but I'll vote for a lynch tomorrow. Which looks like it'll be me or Krell right now, so that'll be fun. I am leaning more towards Krell actually being scum, tho, suddenly not posting and waiting for another lynch to ride after you've been fingered instead of defending yourself strikes me as scum 101.

Amnistar posted:

Nobody has done what you did. I posted a "list" but it was all solid statements of my opinions. You felt pressured by the attention on you to post reads, and made up a bunch of wishy washy poo poo. That is something scum do.

This is why he is scum.

nice scumslip
owned idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

paranoia is fun btw but you need to play it in person or at least via skype/whatever, it's trash over IRC/forums

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Quidnose posted:

Meta can be used to defend a person based on how it applies to ~gut feelings.~

I agree that my using it to defend myself is pretty weak.

I also think that voting me for saying "100% serious vote" when I was joking is incredibly weak.

You ignore my valid questions:

...which I understand aren't directed at you, but you don't admit that that's a good point at all, just call me out for being scummy thanks to my "defensiveness." That's weird.

So, Amnistar, YOU answer me this, instead of the question I posed above (which I don't want an answer from you on): Do you think I make a good point in my questions above? Why or why not?

I don't think you're scum because of the 100% legitimate vote. I read that as a joke as well and overlooked it. I think the fact that you posted a shitstorm in response to someone questioning you on that was way over the top and dramatic and overly defensive, which I find scummy.

Your posting escalated suddenly and became frantic about being called scum and how could anyone mistake that joke for scum ever!!! it just felt ridiculously hostile for what happened.

If I missed your question in my response I'm sorry for that and not understanding what questions you're referring to.

Gamerofthegame posted:

nice scumslip
owned idiot

Do tell? How is what I posted a scumslip good sir?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

What is this?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Amnistar posted:

I don't think you're scum because of the 100% legitimate vote. I read that as a joke as well and overlooked it. I think the fact that you posted a shitstorm in response to someone questioning you on that was way over the top and dramatic and overly defensive, which I find scummy.

Your posting escalated suddenly and became frantic about being called scum and how could anyone mistake that joke for scum ever!!! it just felt ridiculously hostile for what happened.[/quote]

You are calling me out with a meta gameplay argument rather than a meta player argument, i.e. "scum, when called out, will react overly defensive because they are concerned about being lynched due to their small numbers." I could very well have other reasons for not wanting to be the lynch candidate for the day, like wanting to play mafia, or being annoyed I am being voted for lovely reasons.

I don't see how you can sit there saying "meta defenses are useless" purely based around a player's meta, when you are using a basic meta gameplay argument as the crux of finding me scummy. Everything in mafia is about reads, and reading the way a player behaves is just as valid as "well scum tend to do this so you are scummy."

To me I would add an e.g. of "not very valid at all," I would rather ignore people doing TYPICALLY SCUMMY THINGS and find where people are lying, posting zero opinions, playing safe, etc. Those are actual quantifiable things. "He got defensive" happens as both town and scum, for a variety of reasons, ESPECIALLY in a role madness game.

quote:

If I missed your question in my response I'm sorry for that and not understanding what questions you're referring to.

The question was what I quoted, do you think it's valid for me to say "hey fuckers, you called me out for this when there were 5 other people who posted joke opinions without the '100% serious' thing, and they weren't voted for it." Do you think that is a valid point, or not?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

nice scumslip
owned idiot

If you really thought this was a scum slip you'd be voting and pushing it, not just dropping it casually to see if it gains traction. ##vote Gamerofthegame

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Quidnose posted:

If you really thought this was a scum slip you'd be voting and pushing it, not just dropping it casually to see if it gains traction. ##vote Gamerofthegame

:rolleyes:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

So you have no interest in sharing with the rest of the class why that's a scum slip?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Quid, my comment about meta defenses being dumb was a joke, I figured you of all people would get that...

As for your response, it was too much, too fast and it makes me doubt your alignment. I'm not saying because you defended yourself you're scum, please don't put words in my mouth. Your point about being singled out is valid, but the manner in which you made it is suspect.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

The usual Fate going, "oh hey, Apostate is playing Mafia, BETTER DROP SOME DRAMA ON HER" happened. I now have a friend going through a divorce, and a new roommate. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Amnistar posted:

Quid, my comment about meta defenses being dumb was a joke, I figured you of all people would get that...

As for your response, it was too much, too fast and it makes me doubt your alignment. I'm not saying because you defended yourself you're scum, please don't put words in my mouth. Your point about being singled out is valid, but the manner in which you made it is suspect.

:shrug: I didn't want to move my vote, but Krell posted a thing that was actually playing the game.

It is a little weird that Quid overreacted that much when someone didn't see through the majesty of his "100% serious" joke. I really don't see how it's so out of the ordinary that it means he's scum- or at least more likely to be scum than Gamer. Gamer is much more likely to be scum because of his wishy-washy textbook scumposts. ##vote Gamer

As for this post,

Gamerofthegame posted:

My last game I was scum I got outed for posting to much and literally quoting the OP but having to much information, why would I post a lot of trash the next game? I'm just lovely at posting I guess. :shrug:

I still have a gut on EXACT, but I'll vote for a lynch tomorrow. Which looks like it'll be me or Krell right now, so that'll be fun. I am leaning more towards Krell actually being scum, tho, suddenly not posting and waiting for another lynch to ride after you've been fingered instead of defending yourself strikes me as scum 101.

nice scumslip
owned idiot

I really hate to say it but with Krell, that could mean Krell is scum, but it could also mean that the sky is occasionally blue.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

apostateCourier posted:

It is a little weird that Quid overreacted that much...

So that is my point entirely. That sentence right there.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Quidnose posted:

What is this?

it's an emptyquote, indicating that i agree with somber. because his post was also an empty quote, and quotes don't nest, my post was empty.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Amnistar posted:

So that is my point entirely. That sentence right there.

I totally missed the bit where you didn't vote for Quid, as well.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Amnistar posted:

As for your response, it was too much, too fast and it makes me doubt your alignment.

:ironicat:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
http://votefinder.org/player/gamerofthegame

Not feeling it. I'm not saying that we should give Gamer a pass just because he is new, but I am saying that I think that we're getting a false positive because he's new.

Quidnose has over a hundred games and flipped out after a modicum of pressure was applied. I don't really care about his meta because arguments based on posting styles are generally bad. He's currently dogging the vote leader hard so I'm not particularly inspired to give him a pass on effort.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

I....just reread this. Is this a legit scumslip?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i don't think so

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Gamerofthegame (6): Ernie., Ernie., Amnistar, CapitalistPig, Kumbamontu, Harold Krell, Quidnose, apostateCourier
Harold Krell (3): apostateCourier, Quidnose, Gamerofthegame, Poison Mushroom, CirclMastr, Gamerofthegame, Meinberg, Allen Wren, HiipFire, Poison Mushroom, Quidnose, Meinberg, apostateCourier
Quidnose (2): Somberbrero, Pinterest Mom
EXAKT Science (2): Pinterest Mom, Asiina, Pinterest Mom, Gamerofthegame
Lynch No One! (1): Ernie.
Amnistar (1): Kumbamontu, Poison Mushroom, Kumbamontu
Asiina (1): Pinterest Mom, EXAKT Science, Pinterest Mom
HiipFire (0): Quidnose, Quidnose
apostateCourier (0): Poison Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig
CapitalistPig (0): EXAKT Science, EXAKT Science
Pinterest Mom (0): Somberbrero, CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig, Somberbrero
Meinberg (0): Amnistar, Amnistar
Poison Mushroom (0): Quidnose, Quidnose

Not Voting (2): Max22, Meinberg

With 18 alive, it's 10 votes to lynch. The current deadline is January 27th, 2015 at 8 p.m. EST -- that's in about 6 hours, 59 minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Gamer you should probably claim now.

The EccoGame deadline is also tonight so I might be distracted.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Amnistar posted:

I....just reread this. Is this a legit scumslip?

I am curious to what you think you see because I don't see anything that resembles a scumslip

Not that I don't think he's scum, I still do, but that's a weird thing to pick out

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Gamerofthegame posted:

I think Amni sees how Gamer talks about how he got caught last time as scum and why he wouldn't do that behavior this game, the implication being that he is scum this game as well. It's clever but I doubt it's actually a scum slip.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

I am curious to what you think you see because I don't see anything that resembles a scumslip

Not that I don't think he's scum, I still do, but that's a weird thing to pick out

"in the last game i played, as scum, i did X and that led to my being cuddled. why would i do X again in this game [as scum, when i've already learned not to do it]"

the part in [ ] is the part that would be a scum slip that i think amni sees, but i don't think it's reasonable to read that in

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

"in the last game i played, as scum, i did X and that led to my being cuddled. why would i do X again in this game [as scum, when i've already learned not to do it]"

the part in [ ] is the part that would be a scum slip that i think amni sees, but i don't think it's reasonable to read that in

Ooooooh okay that makes more sense now. I don't agree with his premise but I still agree with the conclusion that he's probably scum

he being gamer

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Yea, what they said.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kumbamontu posted:

Ooooooh okay that makes more sense now. I don't agree with his premise but I still agree with the conclusion that he's probably scum

he being gamer

he's only played two games though, does that change your read at all?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Kumbamontu posted:

he being gamer

rude

Somberbrero posted:

Gamer you should probably claim now.

The EccoGame deadline is also tonight so I might be distracted.

Sure, I'll softclaim.

I am a mason, Gemini Man. My role gives powers to my fellow if I die and vice versa. I do not know if they are scum, though they're probably town. If they are town, my lynch is pretty much a neutral outcome, so whatever. If they are scum, that's a pretty hefty hit.

In a role madness game my role is pretty basic, huh.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

okay let's go

##vote kumbamontu

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I don't think that claim by itself says anything essential to the lynch at this point.

Ernie. posted:

okay let's go

##vote kumbamontu

nah

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

##vote Gamerofthegame just to prevent no-lynch. I don't generally like the "scum should have better coaching than this" argument but come on.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

it does, it means that if gamer is scum, then they will personally be invested in maintaining keeping their town mason buddy alive

all while said town mason buddy can interrogate them a lot more seriously in private

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Ernie. posted:

it does, it means that if gamer is scum, then they will personally be invested in maintaining keeping their town mason buddy alive

all while said town mason buddy can interrogate them a lot more seriously in private

Why would I want the townie to survive if I was scum?

Allen Wren posted:

##vote Gamerofthegame just to prevent no-lynch. I don't generally like the "scum should have better coaching than this" argument but come on.

Like Krell has?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Allen Wren posted:

There are five hours until the lynch. This is a weak excuse for a vote Allen.

I'm also not sure what you mean by your second sentence, I might just be misreading it. Can you explain?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Why would I want the townie to survive if I was scum?

The premise is if you are scum and have a mason buddy you're always putting up an act to them. After a while they'll trust you to be town and defend you if it's needed.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Like Krell has?

Ahh I see someone being irked like this and then feel bad. Guys, I really don't think it's gamer. :(

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
A lot of people have not commented on Quid at all.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Ernie. posted:

The premise is if you are scum and have a mason buddy you're always putting up an act to them. After a while they'll trust you to be town and defend you if it's needed.

Ahh I see someone being irked like this and then feel bad. Guys, I really don't think it's gamer. :(

Ah, that makes sense. Can't say this would be a priority of mine right now, but.

And don't worry about it, I'm still enjoying myself. Don't vote based on some meta newbie bullshit or whatever, if you think I'm scum then go for it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i really like quid the best out of the plausible options today. he's been aggressively defensive in a way that makes me uncomfortable.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Maybe I should do a thing?

I guess I should do a thing.

My next post will be a cool one maybe?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

please!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

A lot of people have not commented on Quid at all.

Quids done lots of whitenoise posting to make him look like he was involved while not actually adding anything, up until he was accused. I agree with the suspicion, but I would think scum would share with the vote-post-only lurkers over posting a lot and getting hosed over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

There are five hours until the lynch. This is a weak excuse for a vote Allen.

I'm also not sure what you mean by your second sentence, I might just be misreading it. Can you explain?

Yeah, five hours where I'll be away from the computer and not shitposting every three minutes. Five hours is close enough for me. I'm just swapping my vote since we're apparently letting Krell live (for no clear reason.)

I hadn't figured in the softclaim when I wrote that---or, more accurately thought it was someone else's claim---and had just based the "gamer really should be better coached than this" on his general posting previously.

Of course it's a weak excuse. Nobody's got anything but weak excuses or lovely reads.

• Locked thread