Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Critical posted:

The debut of The Total Package is inadvertently one of the best things to ever happen on wrestling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ15JYQ5gA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

He did. I don't know which would have made the fans more bloodthirsty, that or just continuing to name moves for 7 minutes

Armbar.

Edut:

It should be noted that it went through a commercial break at the top of the hour, he rattled off another dozen holds, and then the cameras cut off him to show the Nitro Girls, filled by Tony and the crew talking about 2nd hour.

You can see Chris reading off more names in the background.

Than finally Prince Iaukea saved us from Jericho.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 17, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Haha why did Sting do a Tanya Harding there

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

Haha why did Sting do a Tanya Harding there

He had just turned heel and really hated Hulk Hogan for his skinny jeans.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Also y'all already knew this, but holy crap was tony bad at his job. He kind of buried Luger at the start of his unveiling, and while that poo poo was stupid it was kind of not his place to do that.

Heenan looks so checked out, mentally :smith:

Their little spat reminds me of a weird thing in the WCW Mayhem game where randomly they'll get into a 2-3 minute long argument about something dumb. I can't believe that made it into an official product.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

Also y'all already knew this, but holy crap was tony bad at his job. He kind of buried Luger at the start of his unveiling, and while that poo poo was stupid it was kind of not his place to do that.

Heenan looks so checked out, mentally :smith:

Their little spat reminds me of a weird thing in the WCW Mayhem game where randomly they'll get into a 2-3 minute long argument about something dumb. I can't believe that made it into an official product.

Here is the ultimate Tony moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbNDrYRQrjQ

For those who don't get it Tony has confused Frank and Karl Gotch.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

MassRafTer posted:

I remember when I first dug out that clip for SA, it still amazes me just how much insane crap there is in a 10 minute span.

blizzardveers
Jan 17, 2015

MassRafTer posted:

Which is hilarious, because I remember them making GBS threads on Hogan in the eventual match and cheering for Sting instead.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Critical posted:

The debut of The Total Package is inadvertently one of the best things to ever happen on wrestling.

Ignoring the hysterical video package of Luger becoming a ghost and eulogizing himself as Liz mourns, the flexing in the ring to total crowd silence is amazing. Schiavone is fawning all over him and Herman says " I'm looking at his eyes." Obviously meant to portray how intense Luger is now but it's said with such earnest that it becomes the most awkwardly hilarious homoerotic thing ever. It's definitely my favorite WCW being WCW moment.

"My eyes are up here!" should have been Lex Luger's catchphrase.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Monkeycheese posted:

I read Bischoff's book since my local library had it. If you can get it for free from a friend or library or something it's kinda interesting in a "full of poo poo egotistical twatface who never admits anything was his fault" kind of way but I wouldn't reccomend buying it unless you get a used copy for like a dollar or something

Bischoff's book is interesting in that it shows Bischoff must fall to his knees and thank god for the ultimately utterly disastrous TBS/Time Warner and (especially) the TBS-Time Warner-AOL mergers, because it meant he could absolve himself of all responsibility and throw the companies under the bus for every screwup he made. It wasn't his fault, he was being ordered by corporate suits who had no clue about wrestling to do things and it all exploded as he expected. He said the same thing on a podcast with Steve Austin; none of this was my fault, I tried to go into new markets and then I got a hand rammed up my rear end that hosed me and WCW until they died.

You will notice Bischoff never breathes a word about TNA, where basically the exact same thing happened and he had complete control and no one to blame when he helped completely gently caress it up (more).

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

You will notice Bischoff never breathes a word about TNA, where basically the exact same thing happened and he had complete control and no one to blame when he helped completely gently caress it up (more).

Eric contractually can't as he still has ties to TNA until this April. Garrett's deal is up then too.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This thread needs more Ralphus chat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

magiccarpet posted:

This thread needs more Ralphus chat.

He was really funny and then WCW ran that poo poo into the ground. The Jericho-holic Ninja remained pure.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Piper talks about Age in the Cage on his podcast this week! "WCW was the worst part of my career."

Piper said Age in the Cage was his idea and he'd knew he was going over because if Hogan really wants to bring that feud back to life, he's not letting him go over. The cage was nearly impossible to climb because of how it was constructed, the aluminum rods holding the steel wire together spun when you tried to grab them. And when they did go to the top of the cage, it started breaking apart and Piper was afraid he was going to fall off. And since the cage was way bigger than the ring, you couldn't just fall into the ring, you're falling 15 feet onto concrete. "Yeah, the match sucked, but what moron builds a cage like that?" He also said he stole ICON from Randy Savage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TONIGHT: TUESDAY NITRO RETURNS!

Magnum Tokyo debuts on Nitro!!! (I think this is his first Nitro?)

Booker T defends the TV title against Disco Inferno!

LENNY LANE VS KID MAN in a battle of the ages!

DDP defends the US title against Buff!

Norman Smiley vs Konnan!

GOLDBERG VS HAMMER

LEX LUGER VS BARRY DARSOW

SCOTT STEINER VS SICK BOY

STING VS KEVIN NASH!

TUNE IN FOR THE WEIRDEST NITRO LINE UP EVER FEATURING THE MYSTERY OF THE RED AND YELLOW DODGE VIPER!!!!!!!!!

7:30 PM for NECW! 8 PM for Nitro! SSW AFTER NITRO!!!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I'm watching Fall Brawl 93 for some reason and a special needs gentleman is interviewing Davey Boy Smith for some reason. What the heck?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

purkey posted:

I'm watching Fall Brawl 93 for some reason and a special needs gentleman is interviewing Davey Boy Smith for some reason. What the heck?

I know it's hard to tell the difference but Lord Alfred Hayes is actually English

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Once upon a time, the Insane Clown Posse wrestled in WCW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOPC6Uc6xRI

and it was magical :allears:

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Didn't Mike Awesome almost kill one of them by powerbombing him onto a bus, at which point he proceeded to slide off the edge of it? Good times.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think Awesome might have done that deliberately because the guy was being a douchebag.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

I think Awesome might have done that deliberately because the guy was being a douchebag.

Nah, it looked like a planned spot that went wrong. You can see the clown guy land and then slowly start to slide off the bus and Awesome gets an "Oh, poo poo" look on his face and tries to grab him. That spot is like one of the few things I remember about late-era WCW to this day.

EDIT

Could only find it in lovely quality. Awesome jumps down immediately does the cover just to end the thing.

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 29, 2015

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Static Rook posted:

Nah, it looked like a planned spot that went wrong. You can see the clown guy land and then slowly start to slide off the bus and Awesome gets an "Oh, poo poo" look on his face and tries to grab him. That spot is like one of the few things I remember about late-era WCW to this day.

EDIT

Could only find it in lovely quality. Awesome jumps down immediately does the cover just to end the thing.

God drat Mike Awesome was so loving dangerous

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Static Rook posted:

EDIT

In non-dogshit quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QieTaeaPtiw

I remember this from an early Botchamania.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RZApublican posted:

Once upon a time, the Insane Clown Posse wrestled in WCW

Name a major promotion in the US from the last 15 years and they wrestled there. WCW, WWF, ECW, TNA, ROH - they're probably the only people to have worked for all of them.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Memento posted:

Name a major promotion in the US from the last 15 years and they wrestled there. WCW, WWF, ECW, TNA, ROH - they're probably the only people to have worked for all of them.

Theres a couple like Raven, but its great that ICP make the list

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Memento posted:

Dusty, Justin Credible, Shane Douglas.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Also great is the accepted wisdom that the best promoters to work for in the USA are the loving ICP

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

Also great is the accepted wisdom that the best promoters to work for in the USA are the loving ICP

Among who?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

oatgan posted:

Among who?

There's a ton of stories that ICP pay really well, and aren't douchebags to the talent. Those two facts combine basically make them the best promoters to work for in the USA. I've only ever heard good things about them wrestling promotion wise and I can't stand ICP.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
All this time I was calling the fat one Shaggy 2 Dope...

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

syzpid posted:

There's a ton of stories that ICP pay really well, and aren't douchebags to the talent. Those two facts combine basically make them the best promoters to work for in the USA. I've only ever heard good things about them wrestling promotion wise and I can't stand ICP.

This is what I have to say about ICP.

Their Music: Some of their songs are... at least, ya know, funny. Sort of. Like in a hosed up way. Not hosed up like "holy poo poo you gotta listen to this really weird song" but more like "holy poo poo try not to laugh at this crap." And that's kind of endearing to some degree. The people they work with are, actually, talented. Even Shaggy himself is a great turntablist and Mike Clark is an amazing producer. And they work with a lot of really good rappers like Tech N9ne and Monoxide Child from Twisted and that guy from (hed) pe and Kottonmouth Kings when they're not rapping about weed (literally one percent of their catalog) so if you're into horrorcore rap sort of stuff occasionally they're alright. I mean, that Chris Benoit song wasn't that bad and I admit I like it and it's a guilty pleasure.

Their Wrestling: All of that being said holy poo poo they're much better wrestlers. Watching these guys wrestle knowing who they were was amazing because... no formal training whatsoever, yet are better than most geeks in the industry. They sell well, cut promos like champs, they know their moves, and even pull off some moves that are a little extreme for most guys and do it without injuring themselves or anyone else... too much anyway. There have been a couple of botched spots but for a couple of jackasses who never went to a wrestling school they're better than even some guys in the indies right now. They held their own in both WWF and WCW and ECW. And JCW is a promotion that pays great and treats their talent awesomely. And they don't screw around when it comes to who they get for their shows. It's the reason why they're such great friends with Rob Van Dam, Greg Valentine, Scott Hall, Colt Cabana, Necro Butcher, etc. To hear guys talk about ICP now is great, especially if they were guys who originally were in WWF at the time they were. Like, I think it was Mosh? Who was talking about shoot fighting ICP in the ring on WWF because they thought they were just lovely rappers who wanted to use their fame to become wrestlers or just are there to promote an album but after a match or two turned around and said "No, these guys are great, they know how to wrestle and are really safe workers and just nice guys about the whole thing." I think they get a lot of heat simply because they're ICP... and truth be told they never would have ended up on WWF or WCW or ECW or started their own promotion if it wasn't for their music career... but had they gone to a school, like Ace's or something, and gotten proper training and came out to the ring as ICP in the indies and worked their way up from there rather than doing the rap thing and getting in that way? Personally I think they would have made it as wrestlers anyway. It's the heart they put into it man. It's great. I liked ICP alright as rappers but I became fans of them as wrestlers. I mean in almost every wrestling video game with character creation that I have ever played I have made a Violent J and a Shaggy 2 Dope because I'm such a huge mark for these guys.

All of that being said? I don't like to own their merchandise... because, yeah, I don't want people thinking I'm a juggalo. Just... ew. I currently live with a "reformed juggalo" and occasionally someone will see the Hatchetman tattoo on the back of his neck and be all "Woop woop juggalo fam ninja hiya!" or whatever the gently caress. I cringe.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

purkey posted:

I believe he won a contest. They use him again on WCW Saturday Night or some other PPV. I remember part of me worried that he would be awful but he was actually good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

Theres a couple like Raven, but its great that ICP make the list

Skinty McEdger posted:

Dusty, Justin Credible, Shane Douglas.

A few years ago in the q/a thread we tried to find everyone who wrestled in all 5 modern US promotions and here's who we came up with:

Raven
Terry Funk
Konnan
Jerry Lynn
ICP
Chistopher Daniels
Dusty Rhodes
Justin Credible
2 Cold Scorpio

Shane Douglas counts if you consider a joint ROH/JAPW show an ROH appearance. Foley has appeared in all of them but never actually wrestled for ROH. Lance Storm's just missing TNA.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 29, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Their MST3K-esque commentary is way better than Colt's 5$ Wrestling and I wish they'd do more.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

What did ICP do in ROH

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

epitasis posted:

What did ICP do in ROH

Googling it, apparently they had a match: On October 5, 2002, Insane Clown Posse wrestled in Ring of Honor and defeated Oman Tortuga and Diablo Santiago

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thauros posted:

A few years ago in the q/a thread we tried to find everyone who wrestled in all 5 modern US promotions and here's who we came up with:

Raven
Terry Funk
Konnan
Jerry Lynn
ICP
Chistopher Daniels
Dusty Rhodes
Shane Douglas
Justin Credible
2 Cold Scorpio

Foley has appeared in all of them but never actually wrestled for ROH. Lance Storm's just missing TNA.

Shane Douglas never wrestled for ROH - he worked a joint show they did with JAPW, but that doesn't really count

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Shane Douglas never wrestled for ROH - he worked a joint show they did with JAPW, but that doesn't really count

Yeah if that's the card I think that is counting it as an ROH appearance would be like saying Michael Elgin's wrestled in a NJPW main event.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Yeah if that's the card I think that is counting it as an ROH appearance would be like saying Michael Elgin's wrestled in a NJPW main event.

Good thing you didn't say that on twitter, Elgin'd be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Skunkrocker posted:

This is what I have to say about ICP.

No you don't.