Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the least scummy wrestling tshirt selling website, and do they ever have sales?
Hot Topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I learned that Hot Topic doesn't exist in Canada.

:canada:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Wow and I thought the only thing Hot Topic could be less scummy than was Spencer's Gifts.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I learned that Hot Topic doesn't exist in Canada.

:canada:

There's one in the Eaton Centre. This one had Cesaro's shirt front and centre. :monocle:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tower Records probably has them, but there's like only two left, one in Ireland and one in Japan.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I have been watching some old Raws, and it occurred to me that I don't remember Briscoe and Patterson ever leaving, as in, I don't remember them getting a proper send-off. Did they just sort of disappear from their on-screen role?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

DeathChicken posted:

Tower Records probably has them, but there's like only two left, one in Ireland and one in Japan.
Well there's two Tower Records stores in Dublin, honestly don't think I've ever seen wrestling tshirts in either.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

DeathChicken posted:

There weren't any wrestling T-shirts when I went to a Tower Records in Japan. I think the only ways you can get merch there are either from their online store or at an event.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

Benne posted:

They blamed it on the Seattle crowd which is why we'll never get a PPV in Seattle again :(

We got Over the Limit in 2011 which had a super hot crowd during the Christian/Orton match.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

oatgan posted:

Jim Ross used to be in creative meetings but he's never been head booker

In my mind having somebody you trust (or "trust" in Vince's case) enough to pitch ideas on commentary is an essential part of crafting a narrative you can be invested in. It lets things seem to develop organically as the commentators spontaneous opinion can become part of the world.

Just you know... Don't pick anybody currently on commentary. Maybe Booker.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Why was the 2011 Battle of Los Angeles only eight guys?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Since the Network launched, did all of the payperview providers drop WWE PPVs, or are some of them still doing it? I heard that the WWE is loving its talent right now by nobody getting payperview payoffs anymore, but also not getting anything from Network fees, so everybody's getting hosed over if they aren't John Cena, and there's no discussion between management and the roster about when that'll be fixed... Right?

hosed up if true.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

Since the Network launched, did all of the payperview providers drop WWE PPVs, or are some of them still doing it? I heard that the WWE is loving its talent right now by nobody getting payperview payoffs anymore, but also not getting anything from Network fees, so everybody's getting hosed over if they aren't John Cena, and there's no discussion between management and the roster about when that'll be fixed... Right?

hosed up if true.

The top guys are taken care of and it sounds like the payoffs are a bit higher than the would be if they were just based on PPVs but it sounds like it's still a mess.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've been watching some of those botch highlight videos and a common theme seems to be some poor indie schlub getting murdered as his opponent jumps on him repeatedly from the top rope while the table refuses to break
What's the deal with that? Is it just that they're too stupid to prep the tables with a dremel or whatever so that they'll break away reliably?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

proof of concept posted:

I've been watching some of those botch highlight videos and a common theme seems to be some poor indie schlub getting murdered as his opponent jumps on him repeatedly from the top rope while the table refuses to break
What's the deal with that? Is it just that they're too stupid to prep the tables with a dremel or whatever so that they'll break away reliably?

Doing that to tables would ruin the whole point of a table spot. The table is supposed to break some of the momentum of a fall. Sometimes the table doesn't break randomly or sometimes the company has the wrong kind of tables but guys are stupid and use them anyway. More often on the indies the table is too cheap and a leg falls off while setting it up.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Doing that to tables would ruin the whole point of a table spot. The table is supposed to break some of the momentum of a fall. Sometimes the table doesn't break randomly or sometimes the company has the wrong kind of tables but guys are stupid and use them anyway. More often on the indies the table is too cheap and a leg falls off while setting it up.

Idea for a hardcore indie match. Two wrestlers get in the ring, each equipped with an Ikea table they must assemble themselves to use on their opponent.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Rodney the Piper posted:

Why was the 2011 Battle of Los Angeles only eight guys?

I know Super Dragon said in the Q&A he did a couple years back that he nearly stopped running BOLA because it was such a pain in the rear end to book, so it was probably just a function of who was available to wrestle Labor Day weekend that year. I can't imagine that will be a problem anymore, because PWG is so successful these days (and has such a good reputation) everyone wants to work there.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 3, 2015

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

wrong kind of table makes sense but even so wouldn't you have to watch out for changes in a given brand's manufacturing process?
really I meant prepping them like they do for the action props that movie stunt men rely on to break their falls i.e. just cut them enough to make them reliably breakable when a load is dropped on them, but not so much that they explode into matchwood at a feather's touch

Ktik posted:

Idea for a hardcore indie match. Two wrestlers get in the ring, each equipped with an Ikea table they must assemble themselves to use on their opponent.

I like it, but it would probably have to be a tag match to stay interesting with the two teams trying to sabotage each other's build process

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If a woman were to win the Royal Rumble, which title shot would she get: the Divas belt or the WWE WHC?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

proof of concept posted:

wrong kind of table makes sense but even so wouldn't you have to watch out for changes in a given brand's manufacturing process?
really I meant prepping them like they do for the action props that movie stunt men rely on to break their falls i.e. just cut them enough to make them reliably breakable when a load is dropped on them, but not so much that they explode into matchwood at a feather's touch

The funniest/saddest thing about wrestling is that everyone thinks it's all fake and the guys go through way more punishment than they have to. I've heard the dumbest things, like 'those are fake steel chairs" or "that's fake blood" when guys are really getting blasted in the head and bleeding hardway.

People who don't know about wrestling assume that no one could be so dumb as to REALLY do this stuff, so of course the tables must be rigged and the chairs must be fake and the ring must be as fluffy as a pillow

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TinTower posted:

If a woman were to win the Royal Rumble, which title shot would she get: the Divas belt or the WWE WHC?

Well it's not gonna happen. [/Meltzer]

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TinTower posted:

Well when Chyna or Beth were in the Rumble it was always assumed that they would be going after the WWE title. The idea that they would be going after the Diva's title was never taken into consideration, since shots at the Diva's title or the Diva's title itself is never that hard to come by.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What are some examples of a single major loss seriously affecting a wrestler in kayfabe like the current Okada angle?

For those who don't follow NJPW, Okada lost to his biggest rival at the company's biggest show of the year last month after the Rainmaker was kicked out of for the first time after a normal pinfall attempt.

He was clearly devastated after the defeat and has done a fantastic job of showing it in his matches during the subsequent month. You can tell simply from his entrances that his normal cockiness has evaporated and he's suffered two clean losses to upper midcarder Bad Luck Fale in tag matches.

It's a simple and effective storyline and has made me completely come around on the booking after initially being pissed he didn't win at the Dome. I'm sure similar angles have been done before but I can't think of any.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 3, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Thauros posted:

What are some examples of a single major loss seriously affecting a wrestler in kayfabe like the current Okada angle?

Well the most obvious one is where Cena lost to Rock at Mania and went on to have the worst year of his life

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Well the most obvious one is where Cena lost to Rock at Mania and went on to have the worst year of his life

Haha, I forgot they tried to spin it that way later in the year months after he followed his loss to the Rock by beating Lesnar in his first match back.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Does anyone else, upon hearing the opening of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," immediately think "self high-five"?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ZDar Fan posted:

Does anyone else, upon hearing the opening of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," immediately think "self high-five"?

I guess it depends on how old you are.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Has Steen done the package piledriver in nxt? And if not what has he been using instead?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Perfidus posted:

Has Steen done the package piledriver in nxt? And if not what has he been using instead?

A pop-up powerbomb. Looks pretty awesome.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Defiance Industries posted:

A pop-up powerbomb. Looks pretty awesome.

also looks probably less safe than the package driver amusingly enough

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The package driver looks like the safest move ever if you look at it really closely. It's essentially a shoulder/upper back bump into Steen's nice soft tummy. But it will never ever see the light of day in WWE.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

The package driver looks like the safest move ever if you look at it really closely. It's essentially a shoulder/upper back bump into Steen's nice soft tummy. But it will never ever see the light of day in WWE.

Punk doing one in that match with Cena may be the ballsiest thing he ever did in the company.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Gaz-L posted:

Punk doing one in that match with Cena may be the ballsiest thing he ever did in the company.

That wasn't a package pile driver, just a regular one.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gaz-L posted:

I so want to know what Vince was screaming in the headset when that was happening.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
the package piledriver still looks like one of those goofy indie variations on a move just done for the sake of being different to me tbh

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I so want to know what Vince was screaming in the headset when that was happening.

Lawler sold it really well, too. "AHHHH! A PILEDRIVER?!"

(I'm still so mad that he wasn't allowed to give Cole one in their feud. IT WRITES ITSELF! He piledrives Cole at Mania, and pins him!)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

Lawler sold it really well, too. "AHHHH! A PILEDRIVER?!"

(I'm still so mad that he wasn't allowed to give Cole one in their feud. IT WRITES ITSELF! He piledrives Cole at Mania, and pins him!)

SWERVE!

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

triplexpac posted:

The funniest/saddest thing about wrestling is that everyone thinks it's all fake and the guys go through way more punishment than they have to. I've heard the dumbest things, like 'those are fake steel chairs" or "that's fake blood" when guys are really getting blasted in the head and bleeding hardway.

People who don't know about wrestling assume that no one could be so dumb as to REALLY do this stuff, so of course the tables must be rigged and the chairs must be fake and the ring must be as fluffy as a pillow

I'm aware of how punishing wrestling is on the performers. I never said prepping a table made it fake, or soft like a pillow, or that having a dude jump on you is a picnic even when the table does break, but in the context of botch videos where they don't break and the ref is doing the hands-on-head oh poo poo gesture it seems like a sensible safety precaution to take. Are you saying tables are never prepped and it's really just a matter of getting the right type and/or brand? I'd think the WWE at least would take steps to make sure "table didn't break" isn't something that sidelines any of their talent since providing reliable props is a variable they can actually control.

So yeah I guess my question is whether that variable is strictly down to table choice or if there is ever any additional prep work at any level of the game

e. guess not if this video is anything to judge by so yeah, never mind

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 4, 2015

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Thauros posted:

For those who don't follow NJPW, Okada lost to his biggest rival at the company's biggest show of the year last month after the Rainmaker was kicked out of for the first time after a normal pinfall attempt.

He was clearly devastated after the defeat and has done a fantastic job of showing it in his matches during the subsequent month. You can tell simply from his entrances that his normal cockiness has evaporated and he's suffered two clean losses to upper midcarder Bad Luck Fale in tag matches.

It's a simple and effective storyline and has made me completely come around on the booking after initially being pissed he didn't win at the Dome. I'm sure similar angles have been done before but I can't think of any.

Billy Boy had a run in AAA where he was depressed because he couldn't win the favor of Gran Apache.

LuchaWiki posted:

It was right after the Alfa gimmick ended that the long-running Billy Boy vs. Gran Apache feud began. Billy would bring signs to the ring declaring his love for Fabi Apache (the two had been dating and eventually married + had a son in real life) and naturally her father would object to this. The storyline has had so many twists and turns it would be impossible to explain everything however during their long-running feud Billy has tried many things to try to please Gran Apache including being his friend, hiding under the Alfa mask to win his trust, beating up a stranger who tried to hit on Fabi (Brandon) and proving he was a better wrestler inside the ring. Unfortunately for Billy this led to two straight hair match losses to his father-in-law. The second time he lost his hair was thanks to (unwilling) help from Fabi and this sent Billy into a tailspin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

the package piledriver still looks like one of those goofy indie variations on a move just done for the sake of being different to me tbh

I'm a mark for Steen so I'm biased, but I don't see how it's any different than the Gotch-style or a tombstone variants. It's a cool variation without seeming too contrived imo.