Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

nitrogen posted:

Well i just had a fun customer call.

We were lightly joking around because a few of the folks on the customer side were late, telling jokes, when THIS happened.

The director of the storage team is blacker than midnight, so I expect this to end well.

Kindly revert once the needful has been done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Just had our quarterly call with our VP.

On this call, we were told offshoring is coming because Americans don't want to work overtime or late shifts.

I'm certainly feeling inspired! I think that means it's officially time to :toot:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

nitrogen posted:

On this call, we were told offshoring is coming because Americans don't want to work overtime or late shifts.

I'm certainly feeling inspired! I think that means it's officially time to :toot:

Just don't go work for SCE.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2879083/southern-california-edison-it-workers-beyond-furious-over-h-1b-replacements.html

This makes my blood boil (and it's mostly due to the horror stories I read on here + other forums), but seriously? Rage mode engaged.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2879083/southern-california-edison-it-workers-beyond-furious-over-h-1b-replacements.html

This makes my blood boil (and it's mostly due to the horror stories I read on here + other forums), but seriously? Rage mode engaged.

Coming from the engineering side of things, this will backfire badly in their face. I have met some brilliant foreign programmers before, but the education system in India has some major major MAJOR issues with rampant cheating. The quality of code out of India is in general horrible.

Here is what's probably going to happen:

The initial code that is produced will be fine, but it will be programmed to do one thing and one thing only (granted it will do that one thing fairly well). If any attempts are made to modify, change, or update the code, it will explode. When it explodes, it will have to be rewritten, costing the company a ton of time and effort and money.

The problem here is that it will look like a good investment at first, at least on paper, and will take months or even years before people realize that it was actually a terrible investment. :smith:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Aunt Beth posted:

I adore this. Just added this line to my sig. I really hope someone - anyone - clicks it.

If this message appears incomplete or garbled, please refer to RFC 1149 to verify your IP MTU settings

Outmoded and out of date. With the invention of small flash storage you could easily tie multiple 32+gb microsd cards to a pigeon. The "Upload" bandwidth would far exceed that of most commercial broadband carriers.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

the spyder posted:

I honestly wish our profession wasn't jack full of idiot grognardy libertarians so we could properly loving unionize.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
My experience with overseas workers has been mixed. Some of the smartest people I've worked with have come from that 12 hour time difference, but there are a bunch of duds too, same as anywhere. The problems start when you're getting ready to go home and some dude just got to work and expects you to talk to him about some thing you're both working on for hours. It's 5:30 dude and I don't have anything else to do right now so please I am going to gently caress off and you can send me an email.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

I honestly wish our profession wasn't jack full of idiot grognardy libertarians so we could properly loving unionize.

Yeah! That way we can trade fighting the greed and out-of-touch management with greedy and out-of-touch union leadership!

It'd be nice to have a powerful union like the police do, though, making it impossible to get fired for all but the most gross of misconduct, but that's just dreaming i'm afraid.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nitrogen posted:

I'm assuming they mean that they don't want to work overtime or late shifts for gently caress all in return, but they casually left that part out.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I'd like to be a union thug :(

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

nitrogen posted:

Yeah! That way we can trade fighting the greed and out-of-touch management with greedy and out-of-touch union leadership!

It'd be nice to have a powerful union like the police do, though, making it impossible to get fired for all but the most gross of misconduct, but that's just dreaming i'm afraid.

And as we've been seeing lately, not even the most gross misconduct. If IT people had a union like police do we'd be untouchable for things like actually setting end users on fire.

Live the dream baby.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Paladine_PSoT posted:

And as we've been seeing lately, not even the most gross misconduct. If IT people had a union like police do we'd be untouchable for things like actually setting end users on fire.

Live the dream baby.

If this thread has taught me anything, it's that some people are untouchable anyways. You just gotta find the right higher up sleazebag to get in the good graces of by doing something reprehensible.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Inspector_666 posted:

My old boss once got mad at me for not taking the shop phone into the crapper with me. He said that people would call and get the machine and assume we were closed.

I had a very similar issue.

One of my previous jobs had a single bathroom that had a fan automatically turn on whenever the light was on. My then boss, in his infinite wisdom, had a landline phone in there so that if someone was using the restroom, you could also take phone calls. Since it was a small shop (2-3 people max), it was expected that you would take the phone call in the restroom. However, having to answer the phone call and hear the customer then required you to turn off the light, leaving you in pitch dark, taking a phone call on a phone that has likely never been cleaned or sanitized, and taking a poo poo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Law Enforcement getting away with murder or manslaughter has little to do with Unions and hell of a lot more to do with internal procedures, existing laws and the court system.

Yea, if Unions exist there will inevitably be abuse but that's a ridiculous argument.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Tab8715 posted:

Law Enforcement getting away with murder or manslaughter has little to do with Unions and hell of a lot more to do with internal procedures, existing laws and the court system.

Yea, if Unions exist there will inevitably be abuse but that's a ridiculous argument.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/absurdism

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Webbeh posted:

One of my previous jobs had a single bathroom that had a fan automatically turn on whenever the light was on. My then boss, in his infinite wisdom, had a landline phone in there so that if someone was using the restroom, you could also take phone calls. Since it was a small shop (2-3 people max), it was expected that you would take the phone call in the restroom. However, having to answer the phone call and hear the customer then required you to turn off the light, leaving you in pitch dark, taking a phone call on a phone that has likely never been cleaned or sanitized, and taking a poo poo.

:barf:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Webbeh posted:

That's one line item on my performance review where I'd be proud of a "did not meet expectations."

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

nitrogen posted:

If that was the choice we were faced with, and its not, I'll still rather go for the unions because there's a higher chance the greedy unions will at least indirectly provide us benefits vs. greedy management.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Wait, you guys don't poo poo in the dark, hanging your head in shame? I need to call my therapist.

e: For some real content - why are people so upset that you'd confirm their access to something, like it's a trust issue? I would say this has happened and honest 10+ times in my life - someone will email me something directly, "hey Stripe can you give me access to X?", and instead of granting access, I loop in the person whose problem X is, "hey do you mind if Dave can RDP into X?" - why is that something to take offense to? Should you be surprised that the person who decides whether you have access to something is not yourself?

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 5, 2015

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I work with a Dutch guy whose name is an American racial epitaph if pronounced correctly (though its spelt differently). Its always a comedy gold moment on concalls when an American manager leading the call lists the names of all those attending. Theres this very deliberate pause followed by a mangled mispronunciation to avoid offending anyone.

The concall system itself has a message on joining of 'the leader has not yet joined' - I do wonder if our German employees get greeted with a literal translation of 'Der Fuhrer'.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: For some real content - why are people so upset that you'd confirm their access to something, like it's a trust issue? I would say this has happened and honest 10+ times in my life - someone will email me something directly, "hey Stripe can you give me access to X?", and instead of granting access, I loop in the person whose problem X is, "hey do you mind if Dave can RDP into X?" - why is that something to take offense to? Should you be surprised that the person who decides whether you have access to something is not yourself?

Personally, I wouldn't care but I could see someone taking offense as this paints them as untrustworthy. If anything, I'd tell everyone access requests need to go directly to whomever authorizes it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Baconroll posted:

The concall system itself has a message on joining of 'the leader has not yet joined' - I do wonder if our German employees get greeted with a literal translation of 'Der Fuhrer'.

I'm setting my Webex localization setting to Dresden, Germany, and I will report back with what it says.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Coredump posted:

If that was the choice we were faced with, and its not, I'll still rather go for the unions because there's a higher chance the greedy unions will at least indirectly provide us benefits vs. greedy management.

You're probably, at least initially right, but out of touch union leadership is just as bad, because the workers need the fatcats just as much as fatcats need workers. Out of touch leaders on either side help nobody except themselves.

THAT is the point i was trying to make.

J
Jun 10, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

The problem here is that it will look like a good investment at first, at least on paper, and will take months or even years before people realize that it was actually a terrible investment. :smith:

And the guy who initially proposed the outsourcing will get a fat bonus for short term cost cutting and then gently caress off to another company (getting a fat raise in the process) to do the same poo poo and will never be around for when the original company has to fork over the additional expenses to fix up the initial code.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

nitrogen posted:

according to the grapevine, the guy is claiming to HR he said "naggers" which is a nice attempt at a save. He's a contractor so he's gone instantly.

Isn't this literally the plot of a South Park episode?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It wasn't a terribly funny redirect then, either.

Hey this word is close to this other word lol

e: I didn't call her that! I called her a batch! Like, a batch of fun! ahahaha comedy gold, words are like other words.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It wasn't a terribly funny redirect then, either.

Hey this word is close to this other word lol

e: I didn't call her that! I called her a batch! Like, a batch of fun! ahahaha comedy gold, words are like other words.

"I said I have a back itch!" If we're keeping in theme of implausible recycling of South Park punchlines.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Baconroll posted:

I work with a Dutch guy whose name is an American racial epitaph if pronounced correctly (though its spelt differently).

Koen?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Thats the one !

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baconroll posted:

I work with a Dutch guy whose name is an American racial epitaph if pronounced correctly (though its spelt differently). Its always a comedy gold moment on concalls when an American manager leading the call lists the names of all those attending. Theres this very deliberate pause followed by a mangled mispronunciation to avoid offending anyone.

I worked for a Dutch business a few years ago and one of our colleagues at the home office was named Cock. I know it's a common name and it's pronounced mostly like "Coke" (not exactly, but close enough). The thing is, when seen written down in conjunction with his last name, led to a lot of immature giggling from the unsophisticated Americans. Things like, "Hey, do you work with Cock on your team? Cock Fritters?" to each other.

That was good for a bout a day, then we settled down after it got out of our system.

Another fun thing about working for the Dutch was getting called on a Security Event at 1AM and being told join a conference bridge with the EU Regional Security Team out of NL to give guidance. I jump on and they're yammering away in Dutch and I announce "Hey all, it's flosofl, ignorant American and can only speak English". Mid-loving-sentence these guys transition from Dutch to English. Hell, they probably spoke it better than I did.

I worked there for a little over 5 years and it was one of the more enjoyable jobs I've had.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 6, 2015

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I almost lost my poo poo last night on a call. Client requested a script, I wrote a script. The first three lines are variables that had to be set, including a true/false for whether or not to make changes so they could do a dry run first. They say the script fails, so I figured it was an issue in the code so we have a call. Nope! They didn't read the code and change the true/false to make it actually delete stuff. When I explained what happened and why it didn't work, I might as well have been talking to a dialtone.

I think meetings with that client are now going to call for a 1 drink minimum.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

flosofl posted:

I worked for a Dutch business a few years ago and one of our colleagues at the home office was named Cock. I know it's a common name and it's pronounced mostly like "Coke" (not exactly, but close enough). The thing is, when seen written down in conjunction with his last name, led to a lot of immature giggling from the unsophisticated Americans. Things like, "Hey, do you work with Cock on your team? Cock Fritters?" to each other.

That was good for a bout a day, then we settled down after it got out of our system.

Another fun thing about working for the Dutch was getting called on a Security Event at 1AM and being told join a conference bridge with the EU Regional Security Team out of NL to give guidance. I jump on and they're yammering away in Dutch and I announce "Hey all, it's flosofl, ignorant American and can only speak English". Mid-loving-sentence these guys transition from Dutch to English. Hell, they probably spoke it better than I did.

I worked there for a little over 5 years and it was one of the more enjoyable jobs I've had.

On Dutch talk. We have a site in the Netherlands but all our IT is here in good ol' US of A. We have only one desktop person who speaks Dutch and for the most part it's been a complete non-issue. One of my coworkers did have a lot of trouble giving a Dutch user a hostname though because they didn't understand the word "dash". Googling "how to say dash in dutch" saved the day.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

This is why I figure every Koch I ever met is very quick to inform a person it is pronounced 'Cook' before anyone can get it wrong.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

flosofl posted:

I've been to Utrect a few times years back for old IT related stuff and it was almost embarrassing how well the Dutch guys spoke English. More than once I'd be buying lunch and would get to the checkout, the teenage girl would (to my stupid Englisher ears) babble something, I would look confused, then in perfect English she would say "That's eight euros* please"

*this was pre euro, but I can't for the life of me remember what the currency was back then!

I was also equally amazed that some of the people I ended up drinking with late at night were able to chat to me in English, while we were all drunk, AND be able to tell jokes, understand sarcasm, and realise when I was joking with them, it made me humble, as I can just about order a round of beers in various languages !

One of the Dutch guys said that they picked up English so well because all their imported TV was subtitled, rather than dubbed, so in school they'd watch subtitled Simpsons episodes to help learn - not sure if this is right, but seems plausible.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

spiny posted:

I've been to Utrect a few times years back for old IT related stuff and it was almost embarrassing how well the Dutch guys spoke English. More than once I'd be buying lunch and would get to the checkout, the teenage girl would (to my stupid Englisher ears) babble something, I would look confused, then in perfect English she would say "That's eight euros* please"

*this was pre euro, but I can't for the life of me remember what the currency was back then!

I was also equally amazed that some of the people I ended up drinking with late at night were able to chat to me in English, while we were all drunk, AND be able to tell jokes, understand sarcasm, and realise when I was joking with them, it made me humble, as I can just about order a round of beers in various languages !

One of the Dutch guys said that they picked up English so well because all their imported TV was subtitled, rather than dubbed, so in school they'd watch subtitled Simpsons episodes to help learn - not sure if this is right, but seems plausible.

Just chiming in here since i don't work in IT at the moment bit this is.pretty much correct, I grew up watching things like the simspons, monty python and the young ones. Most foreign shows here get subbed instead of dubbed.

The currency before the euro was called the Gulden, Gilder I think in English
Also, gently caress printers forever.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Coredump posted:

Seriously. It's better than nothing. Do we really want to live with perma-on call, long hours, and constant job creep?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm not sure whether this professor is the world's greatest rear end in a top hat or the world's greatest genius.

Step one: insist that students never email you directly and only contact you by sending a message through the LMS.

Step two: disable the ability to send you a message through the LMS.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Helicopter parents be like :knock knock knock:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

spiny posted:

The Danes also tend to speak really good English, and are apparently super into the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Dell support is calling me at 1am....

Twice even.

I have no tickets or parts outstanding with them, so this is really strange. I didn't pick up because I don't answer random calls, I looked up the number later.

It would piss me off more if I was asleep, but why the hell are they calling any US number at this time on a Saturday without me ever calling them for poo poo?