Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Crabtree posted:

Persona 5: The Heist. So when is Chains going to show up or is he the cat?

Guys, the thermal Shadow, go get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Endorph posted:

Also in further copy/pasted from tumblr news:

Seven deadly sins. 'Irritum' means 'useless.' Cavum means 'depression' (as in a low point in the ground, but they might have gotten the meanings mixed up.)

Later on you can see some bars with those words, so maybe a deadly sins gameplay element? Or your party members are meant to represent them?
doing a bit of googling i found on some christian site that irritum = "(Catholic Christian demonology) means “nothingness” Also a spirit of depression". could be the name of the default persona for the MC!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Len posted:

Sorry I'm making assumptions about this game we know almost nothing about.

You have an animated gif showing the equip menu animations having no effect on how quickly the menu is navigated

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, if they're doing a Lupin thing, I hope the OST stays jazzy through. Meguro did some jazzy songs for the Raidou OST and they were killer.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Len posted:

Sorry I'm making assumptions about this game we know almost nothing about.

Negativity about Persona 5 is neither appreciated or accepted at this stage.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Probably stupidly early to even think about but I am curious as to what the lore-based reason for the Personas in this game will be.

P1-2 had a cursed game
p3 had a sci-fi gun
p4 had an alternate dimension.

Considering how it seems they have some level of power in the 'real' world I wonder how they will treat the Personas as a power

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Probably stupidly early to even think about but I am curious as to what the lore-based reason for the Personas in this game will be.

P1-2 had a cursed game
p3 had a sci-fi gun

Considering how it seems they have some level of power in the 'real' world I wonder how they will treat the Personas as a power

Philemon is back :getin:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

God remember the guy on the last page complaining about the menus. that's a big time Fail

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

scaterry posted:

Philemon is back :getin:

This would be genuinely dope as poo poo

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

So out of curiosity how popular do you think this game is going to be? Do you think it will be really popular or will it remain a niche game?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

projecthalaxy posted:

Negativity about Persona 5 is neither appreciated or accepted at this stage.

This is true. Now is when the hype train is highest.

Ruggington posted:

You have an animated gif showing the equip menu animations having no effect on how quickly the menu is navigated

When I look at it it doesn't look like anything else happens in the menu until the animation is done.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

persona is kinda between niche and popular isn't it

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MrAristocrates posted:

Guys, the thermal Shadow, go get it

Don't go being tricky, Cat hates tricky!

Even if this game is more Lupin than anything else for obvious reasons, I do hope every level is basically a real place you steal from and "do good". Okay, yeah so maybe some diamonds were taken -- but the shadows were taking them first!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

persona is kinda between niche and popular isn't it

I feel like its in the same vein as Dark Souls were its very financially successful but doesn't have the crazy mainstream recognition of AAA games.

The fact that the last two games both appeared on a nearly dead console and handhelds also probably didnt help

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

littleorv posted:

So out of curiosity how popular do you think this game is going to be? Do you think it will be really popular or will it remain a niche game?
I think it will do solidly enough. It ain't going be Halo or rear end Creed or anything, but I think Persona's gotten fairly popular after 4 that they will probably make some good bank.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm like twelve hours behind on this news guys but quick, what else does the PS4 going for it that I can justify buying it for besides this single game?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Pierson posted:

I'm like twelve hours behind on this news guys but quick, what else does the PS4 going for it that I can justify buying it for besides this single game?

Bloodborne.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bloodborne and ffxv

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

littleorv posted:

It's going to sell a hundred million copies, and all the popular kids will come to me begging pro strats, which will give me power over them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 4 Golden sold like 700k copies. Probably more. And it was on the loving Vita. I don't really think it's 'niche' at all.

I mean, it's below FF and Dragon Quest in terms of JRPGs, but I'd say it's about equal to Tales?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Pierson posted:

Bloodborne and uncharted 4 are the big ones right now. I've switched over PC gaming not too long ago so I haven't been keeping up with the ps4 news lately.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pierson posted:

Silent Hills unless it gets a PC port. (Which has a good chance of happening.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pierson posted:

Disgaea 5.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pierson posted:

Joining in the holy chorus of Bloodborne

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

There's going to be a Ys game on the PS4 eventually, which matters enough to me I suppose.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This has already been brought up but after watching the trailer again I'm really happy the MC's body language making it seem like he has an actual personality is a welcome change. P3s and P4s were really boring and bland in that respect.

I don't count the P4 anime or whatever since that came after.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Persona isn't niche at all in Japan lmao

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

P1-2 had a cursed game
p3 had a sci-fi gun

I'm thinking strong desires since the theme seems to be about breaking free of societal bonds. In Persona 4 your shadow was the true self that you denied. Maybe in P5 your shadow is your ideal self that you want to obtain.

littleorv posted:

It's still a niche series in a relatively niche genre in America, it'll never be "really popular." But if 500,000 worldwide for Catherine was a success then there's no doubt a big budget current gen RPG from a company with a nerd proven track record won't burst that. And between the PS4 and PS3 you have a huge install base already.

If Ni no Kuni can break a million I will eat my hat if Persona 5 can't.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

There's going to be a Ys game on the PS4 eventually, which matters enough to me I suppose.

Vita too, although who knows how the vita version will stack up

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jrpgs are niche but persona is one of the biggest in that niche

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

what catchphrase will we shout a people who get stuck on boss fights???? dark souls already took get gud and thats the catchyest one.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This has already been brought up but after watching the trailer again I'm really happy the MC's body language making it seem like he has an actual personality is a welcome change. P3s and P4s were really boring and bland in that respect.

I don't count the P4 anime or whatever since that came after.

Having a tabula rasa protagonist is basically a SMT tradition

Has a SMT protagonist ever had an explicitly defined personality?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well I mean I know he's not going to say anything that you don't choose and poo poo but just visually he seems like an actual character rather than a completely blank slate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Having a tabula rasa protagonist is basically a SMT tradition

Has a SMT protagonist ever had an explicitly defined personality?
Yu got dialogue and stuff in Persona 4 Arena.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Agean90 posted:

what catchphrase will we shout a people who get stuck on boss fights???? dark souls already took get gud and thats the catchyest one.

Don't think...

Feel...

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Agean90 posted:

Use bufu.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Persona isn't niche at all in Japan lmao

It's kind of relative, though. SMT games top sales charts in Japan but the actual sales numbers are practically the same between Japan and America. They usually drop a couple hundred thousand in each region.

Atlus says they're strong numbers and the games are probably modestly budgeted but it's still pretty niche.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ask fifty people walking into your local GameStop today of they like Persona and you'll get 47 weird looks and three neckbeards who want to show you their hentai collection. This poo poo is niche.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

al-azad posted:

It's kind of relative, though. SMT games top sales charts in Japan but the actual sales numbers are practically the same between Japan and America. They usually drop a couple hundred thousand in each region.

Atlus says they're strong numbers and the games are probably modestly budgeted but it's still pretty niche.

Well Japan does have a lot fewer people that the US...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

If they top sales charts in japan they are by definition not niche in japan