Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Tv feed must be behind. Foxtel website is 10 mins into extra time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Mills posted:

Tv feed must be behind. Foxtel website is 10 mins into extra time?

That's about where it is in NZ. Not sure why you would be getting a delayed feed.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Oh your comments just sounded behind. So I guess now I can say... When the Rabbits are going well, League is going well. :v:

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
We just sound a bit behind when we talk. You'll get used to it after a while.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Did Ken Negas play?

Also I didn't see any bar the first Warriors game. Did we look sharp?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Did Ken Negas play?

Also I didn't see any bar the first Warriors game. Did we look sharp?

Same as always, patches of sheer brilliance mixed in with total poo poo basic errors. And Nagas played but did nothing of note.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Same as always, patches of sheer brilliance mixed in with total poo poo basic errors. And Nagas played but did nothing of note.

Is there any other team in the league that is likely to finish first as it is to finishing last? The Warriors are pretty much the best and worst team to support but I wouldn't want it any other way.

How long is Hurrell out for btw?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The goons league in NRL fantasy still has 9 spots left, we are playing for a fancy trophy this year I think

https://fantasy.nrl.com/landing/index.html
Invite code: N22NAVJE

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

The Todd Carneyval rides again.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
In the first game of Super League, Widnes Vikings, down to twelve men early on after Patrick Ah Van was shown a very harsh red card for a high tackle, came from 16-0 down to draw against Wigan Warriors 22-22.

Excellent second half performance from the Vikings, and especially Joe Mellor, but if the refereeing performance was anything to go by, we're in for a shocking season.

GranadaReport
Oct 20, 2012
Nah, Child has always been this poo poo.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

In the first game of Super League, Widnes Vikings, down to twelve men early on after Patrick Ah Van was shown a very harsh red card for a high tackle, came from 16-0 down to draw against Wigan Warriors 22-22.

Excellent second half performance from the Vikings, and especially Joe Mellor, but if the refereeing performance was anything to go by, we're in for a shocking season.

I watched from about the 60 minute mark. The refs really liked Wigan, as a neutral fan I thought it was a crap display. I'm surprised it took the refs so long to bin Smith after the post-try foot trip, and Tomkins probably should have joined him for running in and tackling that dude well after the play was dead. It was nice to see Aaron Heremaia still looking sharp.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Jono C posted:

The refs really liked Wigan

They always really like Wigan. I only got to see the first 20min :( looking forward to Catalans first game, may Carney be crazy good and not just crazy.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Once he's fully match fit Carney will kill it at Catalans

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

What is this bin you speak of and this concept of 'sending off'? I'm an Australian league fan and have never heard of these rules, nor seen them implemented. Is this another one of those things that you guys in England invented?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol, people don't get sent off that only happened in the 80s

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I reckon the powerplay model for the bin is awesome and coupled with mandatory instruction to the ref to use it will cut down on lovely play.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I like the powerplay too. The major thing is actually forcing refs to use it - too often they just give out endless "final warnings" and nobody cares since there's no repercussions to ignoring them. If they took a hardline with it like the English appear to (or at least look more than we do like they do) it would be much better and improve the game a lot.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I can't believe Smith didn't get ejected when he just straight kicked out at a dude. This is why I hate Wigan.

But that Widnes supporters crowd looked amazing, much respect to the Vikings.

GranadaReport
Oct 20, 2012
He got yellow for it, you think it was red card?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

GranadaReport posted:

I thought kicking was always a red (Mind you have not seen incident).

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
It should've been a red, I think.

Even worse refereeing in the saints dragons game. The dragons had a perfectly legitimate try disallowed and, from the same incident, saints got a completely bizarre penalty, and pushed up to score. After that a shoulder charge to the head went unpunished, which should have been a red. Joel Moon of the rhinos received a red towards the end of last season for the same challenge. Im bitter.

Easy victory for saints really, and they're going to be difficult to beat again this year. Im off to rovers v Leeds on Sunday and I hope the ref doesn't impact the outcome, unless he gives us loads of decisions and not hull.

Also, my best ever Leeds player retweeted me ftw

GranadaReport
Oct 20, 2012
Official don't seem to like giving reds for things they didn't see themselves I think. They all go to the disciplinary panel anyway right?

As for the saints game, some teething problems with the new video ref decision system perhaps? That catalan try would have been given last year.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
That was a definite try for Zeb Taia ruled out in the 1st half. Saints defence was pretty good, and a win is a win. Hopefully we can step it up a level or two against Salford next week. Bentham being poor goes without saying really.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

GranadaReport posted:

Definitely should've been a red, no place in the game for that rubbish. There were only a few minutes left so the yellow v red was no material difference in the end I suppose. Good to have Super League back on the telly here this season. Heremaia was really good, wish he was still in Auckland.

edit: Ex Jr Warriors/reserve grader Dylan 'DJ' Collier is doing well for NZ in the rugby sevens this weekend.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 7, 2015

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

edit: Ex Jr Warriors/reserve grader Dylan 'DJ' Collier is doing well for NZ in the rugby sevens this weekend.

That was pretty cool to see. Good for him.

I like that 13 man league is back on my TV, but preseason footy is shite. Also we now have a fuckton of officials who won't make a decision.

Also Nathan Friend somehow got called into the All Stars team. This feels wrong.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

That was pretty cool to see. Good for him.

I like that 13 man league is back on my TV, but preseason footy is shite. Also we now have a fuckton of officials who won't make a decision.

Also Nathan Friend somehow got called into the All Stars team. This feels wrong.

Yeah this Charity Shield game is not very interesting. Also Nathan Friend in the allstars? Is that a quota thing with the one player from each club? Happier to risk Friend than someone important like Johnson or injury prone like Vatuvei if that's the case. Or is it the Indigenous team, seem to remember he may have played for them in previous years?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/65880408/nz-warriors-hooker-nathan-friend-called-into-nrl-all-stars-team-to-replace-michael-ennis

He's in the NRL All Stars side, not the Indigenous team. We've already got Manu in there. Friend is in to replace Ennis. I would have thought Luke would have made more sense.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Seems I haven't missed much first half.

Edit: That was like Tigers vs Tigers at the end.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 7, 2015

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Bumped into the all stars team at Sydney airport a minute ago, got a photo with brooks since he looked so lonely as everyone else was getting them with the big names. Has to resist the urge to call Gallen a oval office and thank pierce for getting injured and letting us win origin.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Bumped into the all stars team at Sydney airport a minute ago, got a photo with brooks since he looked so lonely as everyone else was getting them with the big names. Has to resist the urge to call Gallen a oval office and thank pierce for getting injured and letting us win origin.

A Herculean effort.

Hopefully Brooks smashes it this year and we can have another semi-final disappointment - I'd be happy with that in a sado kind of way.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
I didn't realise that the World Club Challenge was six teams now.

Also, SMH are doing the slowest list in history - Top 200 NRL Players, releasing one name every hour or so

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Are they only counting players in the NRL era? That's a reasonably shallow pool to choose from.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

iajanus posted:

Are they only counting players in the NRL era? That's a reasonably shallow pool to choose from.

I think it must be current players only

194th - Tautau Moga

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Who is regarded as the best league player ever? Andrew Johns is the best I've seen.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Sixteen clubs, seventeen players per club, for a total of 272. Top 200 is pretty laughable.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ewar Woowar posted:

Who is regarded as the best league player ever? Andrew Johns is the best I've seen.
I'd agree with you, he was also a legendary party animal

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Obviously Orford is the best.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ewar Woowar posted:

Darren Lockyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

Darren Lockyer
he's pretty good at rape jokes

Or is that just a Queenslander thing?

• Locked thread