Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Are there many series which started with a two-part story? Not in the "feature-length pilot" fashion, but in the sense that episodes one and two are one story in two parts. The only examples that occur to me off the top of my head are Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Dead Zone but I imagine there are more.

Buffy would be a feature-length pilot that you said didn't count since they aired it on one night as one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I didn't know that.

I've only watched most of these things on DVD. I know Fringe had a two-hour pilot, for instance; was it broadcast originally as parts one and two?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

In The Walking Dead, did Zombies exist as a form of fiction, as in, Night of the Living Dead was a movie everyone would have seen?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Davros1 posted:

In The Walking Dead, did Zombies exist as a form of fiction, as in, Night of the Living Dead was a movie everyone would have seen?

No, many zombie stories take place in a world with no zombie fiction. It's just one of the usual things done in that genre.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can't remember the thread here, but BSG had people hating on it before it even aired. Convinced it was going to be a terrible remake and that the old version would reign superior.

I wonder how many people actually watched the original series if they thought it could be ruined by anything.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What about Modern Family? Not exactly turned against, but it went from one of the busiest threads to not even having one posted for this season.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Davros1 posted:

What about Modern Family? Not exactly turned against, but it went from one of the busiest threads to not even having one posted for this season.

The original question was about genre shows, and while I haven't watched this week's Modern Family yet, I doubt it took that much of a turn.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Deadpool posted:

No, many zombie stories take place in a world with no zombie fiction. It's just one of the usual things done in that genre.
Probably not the zombie comedies, but yeah, you just have to accept the fact poo poo is like that for a while, they didn't print Zombie Survival Guides.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sleepy Hollow maybe? It had a beloved first season and now the entire thread seems to agree its gone poo poo.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

What's the longest a genre show has gone before the thread turned on it?

Fringe had high quality threads until the very end

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The other big problem with zombie media is that everyone has their own ideas of what a zombie is, which is usually a mish mash of various movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The lesson here is that threads invariably turn against genre shows.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

The original question was about genre shows, and while I haven't watched this week's Modern Family yet, I doubt it took that much of a turn.

It's about exactly the same as far as I can tell. I couldn't be assed to pay attention to it anymore because the only one growing is the boy. The gay dude's daughter is possibly the worst child actor I've ever seen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

The lesson here is that threads invariably turn against genre shows.

All scripted fictional shows eventually get bad.

There's no need to pin it on this forum for noticing.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Supernatural thread is critical of the show and everybody accepts it's glory days are behind it, but there's not a hell of a lot of dog-piling or hate. People who don't like it anymore just don't post.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

IRQ posted:

Yeah but ever since Lost everyone is in a hurry to be the one who noticed it got bad first. Making every thread for a show not in it's first season a cesspit of negativity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The comic book shows are usually by far the worst. The Continuum thread has always been decent.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ariza posted:

It's about exactly the same as far as I can tell. I couldn't be assed to pay attention to it anymore because the only one growing is the boy. The gay dude's daughter is possibly the worst child actor I've ever seen.

I meant a turn towards being a genre show, which would have been quite the shift.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

A great many goons allocate themselves arbitrary imaginary points for being the first cool dude to hate something for the sake of hating it. Because they are hollow idiots.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

The comic book shows are usually by far the worst. The Continuum thread has always been decent.

That's because Continuum was bad from the beginning so there was no way for it to get worse.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Regy Rusty posted:

That's because Continuum was bad from the beginning so there was no way for it to get worse.

The first season was rough but the show is pretty drat good.

Different topic but I'm excited about Bosch hitting a week from today :dance:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How good of a show is Homeland?

I'm 3 episodes in,but some of the acting (brody and his wife and family) is pretty brutal.

Stop after season 1. The plot just gets dumber and dumber.

Regy Rusty posted:

:nyd:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Agents of Shield is the worst thread for it, and also that AoS chat will break out in other threads that people get mad over, but Arrow and Flash have been pretty good and didn't generate a lot of problems until recently.

The worst show threads are the ones that start from an established franchise because people will post spoilers (Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, ) or get extremely angry at people suggesting that maybe they check out the books.

Breaking Bad, a show that stayed great through its run still had a lot of recurring problems with people getting really angry at Skylar and posting some pretty angry rants.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 6, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The worst thing about comic book threads is that people just start straight up explaining who everyone is and what is going to happen, on the assumption that the only people who watch it are going to be up to date with their crayon literature, and that no one cares about/should be allowed to discover the characters through the actual television programme.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The worst thing about comic book shows is the people that get genuinely pants-shittingly angry over any minor change.

Wasn't there one guy that was freaking out over the Flash's hair color in the show?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IRQ posted:

The worst thing about comic book shows is the people that get genuinely pants-shittingly angry over any minor change.

Wasn't there one guy that was freaking out over the Flash's hair color in the show?

Yeah, along with the ethnicity of the cast (Iris being black) that pissed off some people. Comic book fans get extremely racist about the changing ethnicity of their fictional idols.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

Yeah, along with the ethnicity of the cast (Iris being black) that pissed off some people. Comic book fans get extremely racist about the changing ethnicity of their fictional idols.

Agreed. I've always said that the worst thing about comic book shows were the cross burnings.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey let's stop talking about comic book shows you guys.

And start talking about video game shows instead. How does a live action Legend of Zelda show sound? Netflix apparently thinks it's a good idea.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Starring Donald Glover as Tingle

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If Netflix thinks it's a good idea, it's a good idea.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
But but but the timeline....

MY IMMERSION.

But anyway congrats mods, that thread will be even worse than the GoT one.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 6, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

And start talking about video game shows instead. How does a live action Legend of Zelda show sound? Netflix apparently thinks it's a good idea.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The quality of that show depends on the quality of Gannondorf, the best villain.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Fooz posted:

The quality of that show depends on the quality of Gannondorf, the best villain.

Too bad Raul Julia is dead.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Too bad Raul Julia is dead.

Jesse Ventura is still alive though

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fooz posted:

It's Ganondorf, have you even read the books played the games

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Spelling is for losers.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Is there a Better Call Saul thread?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

lelandjs posted:

Hey let's stop talking about comic book shows you guys.

How is something both the best idea and the worst idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rarity posted:

How is something both the best idea and the worst idea?
It's a great idea.

It's likely going to be a mediocre show at best.

The show should take place in a timeline where the idea of Zelda timelines never existed. But Zelda nerds will be Zelda nerds...

Sober fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 7, 2015

• Locked thread