Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Switching to Tomn, but I have a few additional thoughts:

Why did DeVries have to get on the Beast? Sincera Pax is hardheaded and a stubborn investigator, but not someone to disappear from.

If someone was that resolute on catching us, it would be far easier to just create a situation where Pax landed into an "accident" she couldn't walk away from. Instead DeVries hid. Does he just not kill, or is Pax so well protected by knowing something about DeVries or protected by some VIP that she can't just get whacked?

...so again, why did DeVries have to get on our ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I'll vote for Tomn's plan.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Tomn's plan because I love when people spot the gears.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Voting for Tomn.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So much to explore when we get back to the Beast. How will we ever find the time?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
C

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So much to explore when we get back to the Beast. How will we ever find the time?

We have a semi autonomous servitor swarm, link them in series to extend remote access range. Create a mobile processing unit to recoup losses on the run.

We'll have the whole ship mapped out within a year.

All the while developing our psider neuronet takeover.

Plan Thom because.

Vv: Strap a photocopy of our face onto a servitor. Insist that it is the real us.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 7, 2015

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

How hard would it be for us to make a remote-controllable body double?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Plan Tomn

I like the idea of automated exploration and mapping. For reference, LIDAR-equipped robots are already able to do automatic mapping of buildings, so this is definitely feasible in principle.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Tomn's plan is a good one.... I still say we should forcibly kidnap Pax and send her in a stasis tube to the nearest Inquisitorial HQ, with a bow wrapped around the box.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LowellDND posted:

Some of my tabletop guys uh... don't focus on that stuff :D Ill weave elaborate conspiracies of ogre magi paladin samurai, but they just want to stab things :D

I think the medium is playing a big part in this. Play is slower, and it's easier to notice details when it is all in text and you can go back and check at any time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Eh, whatever Tomn suggests.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Twelve hour sleeps are the best sleeps. :D

Optimally, having a new post in bold that says change vote from this to this makes my job easiest - otherwise I have to keep checking what people originally voted as.

LIDARs look pretty awesome. Im now picturing that scene in Revenge of the Sith (or the Incredibles) where you have a bunch of sensor pod (skulls) floating around scanning the walls. Intriguingly, LIDAR seems to work in infrared at levels that don't bother the human eye, so you can be sneaky about it.

For making doubles, I immediately thought of two options -

1. Make nice with Devries, get a replicae. Turn it into a servtor, and put your Stryxis mods into it.
2. Grab a family member (people confused Amacita with you, but maybe a different one), scoop out their brains, and put in the Stryxis mods.

Plan Tomn is well in the lead, of course, so Imma settle in and see how I want to play it out.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I wonder when Amacita will ask about why she is being investigated for misappropriating an Imperial Guard company.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Shadeoses posted:

I wonder when Amacita will ask about why she is being investigated for misappropriating an Imperial Guard company.

It was a plot by Limosa.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

LowellDND posted:

For making doubles, I immediately thought of two options -

1. Make nice with Devries, get a replicae. Turn it into a servtor, and put your Stryxis mods into it.
2. Grab a family member (people confused Amacita with you, but maybe a different one), scoop out their brains, and put in the Stryxis mods.

Option #1 is right out since we can't stand replicae (or Devries, for that matter), but #2's got some promise. If we get our hands on a spare voidborn, how hard would it be to give them cosmetic surgery to closely resemble us? I mean, ideally we'd do such a thing after we debrain them, but we ain't picky.

(I love that we can become comicbook supervillian space saddam and still be the good guys)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Haystack posted:

Option #1 is right out since we can't stand replicae (or Devries, for that matter), but #2's got some promise. If we get our hands on a spare voidborn, how hard would it be to give them cosmetic surgery to closely resemble us? I mean, ideally we'd do such a thing after we debrain them, but we ain't picky.

(I love that we can become comicbook supervillian space saddam and still be the good guys)

Bonus points: Grabbing some of Limosa's followers sends him a rather clear signal :D

To an outsider, everyone in the Family looks the same. If you want someone inside the Family to confuse you and your body double... hmm. Probably not in a warzone, but people at the hives probably have surgeons like that.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Hmmm, if we start cultivating the habit of wearing a big face-concealing mask...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Haystack posted:

Hmmm, if we start cultivating the habit of wearing a big face-concealing mask...

You do have a bond with the Kriegers...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Upside: Wearing a mask makes it easier for someone to impersonate us.

Downside: Wearing a mask makes it easier for someone to impersonate us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We could just make a habit of never going out in public, and only interact with people through servitors and drones.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

paragon1 posted:

Upside: Wearing a mask makes it easier for someone to impersonate us.

Downside: Wearing a mask makes it easier for someone to impersonate us.
We could wear certain pieces of equipment that only we own that make it clear that it's us.

That we have a couple of.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
We're playing a techpriest. Even if she had a makeover to look more human, she has poo poo like an implanted respirator already.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tran posted:

We're playing a techpriest. Even if she had a makeover to look more human, she has poo poo like an implanted respirator already.
DeVries never realized we were a techpriest. We wear robes to cover a lot of that poo poo.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I’m going back to my roots on this for choice of music. I’m starting to get a feel for the different groups - the Subsixers are Rammstien, the Krieg are Funker Vogt. Tribes are Corvus Corax.

Breadcrumbs

“Right. I want you to find out everything you can about the Filthy Lucre.”
“I won’t be able to see the final transmission. Way above my pay grade.”
“That’s fine. I’m more interested in docking history, shipping transcripts, Family history. Who went aboard, who left. That kind of thing.”
“You got it boss.”

Now, what to prioritize. There were a lot of spinning wheels here - you were fairly sure several plots were starting to pile up on each other, and would have to do some increase the speed of your play to take advantage. If the fleeing of the Lucre was a xeno gambit, you needed to talk Commissary General Fabiyan. If it was a generic assassin, you needed to secure the weapon and possible shooters. And if it were someone trying to sabotage you, you needed to secure the dig site.

You started running at a quick clip back to the dig site. The rest, you could do via vox - the last would require your personal touch. The worst possible thing would be something happening in the war, so you called Fabiyan first.

“General, have you heard?”
“About the shooting? Yes. Normally a single fatality wouldn’t rate much word, but the Krieg were quite interested that you were the target. Some of them asked if it was time to die with you yet.”
“It might be. I think it might be a result of enemy action. You lose your support, I step in, the enemy tries to remove me. What’s the worst thing the enemy could do right now?”
Fabiyan paused thoughtfully. “Attack the Nallani.”
You blinked. “How’s that?”
“Krieg live without supplies. If we run out of food, we eat our dead. If our bayonets break, we will make spears out of our bones.” He said it with pride.
“So you think they’ll hit the Nallani?”
“Think about it. A normal response to this would be to split the supplies from the Beast. But we are used to low or no supplies - the Nallani have a doctrine of airships and glory. Losing half their supplies means that, when the enemy attacks them, they will be low morale, low ammo, low responsiveness.”
You nodded thoughtfully. That made a certain amount of sense, in a Krieg pride sort of way.
“Go ahead and call General Zetkin, let him know your suspicions. I think the enemy might try to sabotage the supply line again, so I’m headed there next. Ohone out."

You got another message almost immediately. “Ma’am.”
“Yes?”
“This is Commissar Nalia. We’ve begun our initial investigation of the soldiers you selected. Three of them had prints on the firearm as well as nitrate on their hands. What do you want done?”
“Free the others, keep those ones secure. Did they have an explanation?”
“Wrong place wrong time. They claim they had fired their own weapons earlier in the day in a contest, and then fought over the rifle as you approached.”
“Right. Hold on to them for now, I may want to ask them something later.”
“Ma’am.”

The next call was nearly as interesting. “Hey boss.”
“Skade. Give me some love.”
“You got it. The Filthy Lucre was a down and out ship for a down and out Family. Few thousand crew, run by a barely extended Family. Their progenitor may have been full of piss and vinegar, but the blood has gone thin. Even if they hadn’t been hijacked, they probably would have been erased in a generation or two anyway.”
“What makes you say that?”
“Cargo manifests. Nothing unusual, and usually nothing. They couldn’t find enough deals to keep the lights on. This was probably going to be their last hurrah. That rifle you found might have been sold to pay debts, or stolen by someone who wanted to get out while the going was good.”
“Tell me about the Family.”
“Grandfather, grandmother, daughter, husband, their three children. We identified all of them in the video except the oldest grandson. No reports of him anywhere as of yet - he may just have been somewhere else on the ship.”
“Any transit before the incident?”
“Yup. Two hours before the signal began, a shuttle leaves the Nallani and docks with them. An hour after that, the same shuttle leaves and lands where it had left. Possibly automated, the Flight Controllers don’t remember having conversations with the pilot.”
“Think it was the cause of the incident?”
“Maybe. Or the luckiest person to ever live.”
“Yeah. Maybe. Quarantine that shuttle, I want it investigated.”
“You got it boss. Anything else?”
“No, you did great.”
“You know it.”

You arrived at the impromptu railroad, pulled a quarter of the workers off. They wiped the sweat from their skin, awaiting your orders, and you assigned them to reinforce the security detail. You were fully expecting more attacks, and some of the troops seemed to think the same. They stood closer than was necessary, seeming to want to protect you with their bodies. One of the Krieg actually forced a gas mask into your hands, showed you how to wear it.

You had barely finished connecting it when the labor servitors went mad.

They left their posts, sprinting towards you, huge muscles twitching as their hands ground into fists, murder in their dead eyes. Startled, you reached out with your mind - found a wall of hostile binary. Someone had hacked them to think you were literal garbage, needing to be folded and compressed and placed in the crushers that were scattered about the base.

Tactically interesting, but technically naive. Breaking their code was as easy as breathing, and they stopped near you, awaiting further orders. The Krieg shot them to pieces, just in case.

It was such an … odd? Method of attacking you. Who sends servitors to try to attack a Tech-Priest?

What do you do?
A. The lack of expertise suggests an amateur. Head back and ask questions of the three prisoners.
B. The lack of expertise suggests manipulation. Go back and watch the tapes for research.
C. Its time rather to begin asking questions of Sincera Pax. Maybe she set this up to draw you out.
D. You haven’t seen Limosa in a while. This seems like one of his schemes. Prepare a countermove, such as…
E. Something Else

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Finally caught up on the last 6 pages! I LOVED the slice of life stuff, and almost thought the gun we just acquired was the one the Explorers Guild statue of the Lord Sire was holding (shiny, doesn't rust after all).

LowellDND posted:

Some of my tabletop guys uh... don't focus on that stuff :D Ill weave elaborate conspiracies of ogre magi paladin samurai, but they just want to stab things :D

Ah yes, ogre magi samadins. The most nefarious of plot monkeys... deserving of stabbings.

In other news, B. However, I think... what if Devries could be that last grandson, perhaps? That would be an interesting twist. Setting off on his own, destroying his own family's Rogue Trader operation to set himself up in a position of power... That's just cold, and I wouldn't put it past him.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wow, someone(s) really wants Ohone dead today.

A This all reeks of distraction. Let's find our shooter, and see if he leads us back to someone.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
What do you do?
B. The lack of expertise suggests manipulation. Go back and watch the tapes for research.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

LowellDND posted:

"Normally a single fatality wouldn’t rate much word, but the Krieg were quite interested that you were the target. Some of them asked if it was time to die with you yet.”

One of the Krieg actually forced a gas mask into your hands, showed you how to wear it.

The Krieg are surprisingly adorable :3:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Optimally, having a new post in bold that says change vote from this to this makes my job easiest - otherwise I have to keep checking what people originally voted as.

Just gonna drop you the handy template we use in the Paradise lost thread :v:. It's always much faster than flipping back and forth a dozen times to count, tends to reduce user error too haha. Hopefully it'll come in handy for you!

Anyhow! B.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Haystack posted:

The Krieg are surprisingly adorable :3:
They're like socially awkward puppies!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

What do you do?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

This is getting too good!

Lowell, as you are obviously aware, most of us following this also follow several other CYOA's in the subforum. We have an IRC as our discussion for all of them, #madgod on synirc.net. You are certainly welcome to pop on whenever - it generally gets busy after one of the cyoa's updates.

Also a call for everyone else to hop on to try and speculate.

E. This was a (sicilian) message - and nothing more! The ship leaving was incentive for us to get involved, the sniper with the ridiculous weapon was a snare to focus our attention. This was either one of two things:

1.) someone so hilariously incompetent that a subsequent assassination attempt tried to use the absolute worst method possible to do so ORRRR
2. ) Assassination was not the intended result - this was a message from the previous attempt - to confirm that THEY know who WE are and that THEY, by a botched sniper attack and an easy to foil hacking attempt don't actually mean us harm? Oddly enough, what would be a good way to get into contact with us without information being intercepted - failed assassination attempts is unique. We need to review EVERYTHING for patterns.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Just gonna drop you the handy template we use in the Paradise lost thread :v:. It's always much faster than flipping back and forth a dozen times to count, tends to reduce user error too haha. Hopefully it'll come in handy for you!

Oh, now thats handy. Thank you!

And Im surprisingly attached to the Krieg :3:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
B: The methods used are very clearly a message, but it's not obvious which we should take from it. The simplest interpretation is that it is meant to implicate DeVries by using methods well within his resources. He most certainly would be capable of fencing the rifle or claiming it as a gambling debt, while we know he has an electropriest in his employ. However, I'm more inclined that even if he is involved, it's as the pawn and not the player.

Regardless, I still say we simply don't have the time to focus on this right now. Between the needs of securing these supply lines, getting some decent intelligence on Limosa, and making sure Amacita's little secrets don't kill the Magos while we're distracted we're pretty well booked solid. We desperately need to add or promote more capable investigators to our retinue. At the very least we can delegate oversight of the train line to Matthias to clear up time for the other crises.

Tran fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 8, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HiHo ChiRho posted:

E. This was a (sicilian) message - and nothing more!
Oddly enough, what would be a good way to get into contact with us without information being intercepted - failed assassination attempts is unique. We need to review EVERYTHING for patterns.

Tran posted:

We desperately need to add or promote more capable investigators to our retinue. At the very least we can delegate oversight of the train line to Matthias to clear up time for the other crises.

Tentatively voting for these, it makes as much sense as anything else right now

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life XVI

If you are a little braver and little crazier than most Dregs, you live near the engines of the ship. Not because of the radiation or cosmic energies or something like that - that’s all Mysteries to you. Instead, it’s because of the wildlife that happens to grow up there. Now, most people would say ‘oh, the wildlife is weird because of the radiation. Mutation rates are higher and so forth.’

That’s not it at all.

See, the Magos aboard ship is a Magos Biologis.

Their thing is xenos, mutants, aberrations, all the life that can come from carbon based lifeforms. (Silicon based life is a grey area). In addition to vivisecting, dicing, chopping, or grafting different species, the Magos spends quite a lot of time trying to create new forms of life useful to the Imperium. Or, at least, interesting to them. ‘Useful’ can justify a lot of weirdness, when it comes to Magos.

Sometimes the Magos has a great success. Usually, though, its a failed life, something that dies in hours, or can’t walk, or just moans piteously in its own slime. These get dumped down the chute. A column some fifty meters deep and five wide, its stuffed to the brim with all the weird things that have been created. They cling to the wall, or crawl over each other, or flap malformed wings. Some of them make it to the bottom of the chute, and thats where you come in.

A Dreg that is a little bit braver and a little bit crazier can harvest these failed creations. Sometimes you find a new method of making ink, or a long burning torch, or whatever - and your family is set for life. Usually, its some trash that might get you through the week. Sometimes, though - being braver just means you find something of crimson fur and teeth.

Inspired by the IRC chat

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 8, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Matthais is currently leading a kill team looking for Devries, want to pull him off that job?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Aw damnit, I thought Tanya was in charge of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I have listed as Tanya, Matthais, Megabite, Flours, one Tribesman, and one Explorer.

edit: They haven't found anything in two months, so maybe its time to move them.