Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Got a giant kick in the balls this week - apparently I am now a Type 2 diabetic. The symptoms started Friday night and the earliest I could get in to see my doctor was Tuesday. I was so loving sick I couldn't see straight, I was dizzy, nauseous, sick to my stomach and all around miserable. Started on metformin the next day and things have slowly gotten better.

Looking back on it, I should have realized something was up when my vision got all blurry a week earlier. Do yourselves a big favor - if anything (and I do mean ANYTHING) seems out of order don't hesitate to see your physician. I was told six months ago that I was borderline pre-diabetic, but both my doctor and I are stumped as to what could have taken me over the edge so quickly and without much warning. I probably should have gone ahead when he first labelled me borderline and started up the metformin, but I didn't feel like taking any drugs and busted my rear end at the gym to lose weight (no surprise, but I lost 2-3 pounds and just hovered there)

In a little over a week I dropped almost 20 pounds, but I was pissing nothing but pure water, which put a serious strain on my body and drat near killed me. Listen to me when I say it's better to go to the doctor and find out nothing's wrong than it is to try and man it up and tough it out.

Go back to work tomorrow, which is good, but I don't have any PTO left now. I was planning on taking off February 17th to celebrate my 43rd birthday on February 21, but I think that idea is show now. At least I only have to work one day during the week thanks to President's Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Dell support is calling me at 1am....
It would piss me off more if I was asleep, but why the hell are they calling any US number at this time on a Saturday without me ever calling them for poo poo?

They normally call when you give them a window to. When I did overnights they were calling me between 1 and 7AM for a home laptop issue.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Got a giant kick in the balls this week - apparently I am now a Type 2 diabetic.

Wow, that's terrible. Glad you caught it before you wound up in the hospital. Happy Sick Birthday!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Do yourselves a big favor - if anything (and I do mean ANYTHING) seems out of order don't hesitate to see your physician.

I'm sorry, Daylen, but also thank you. I got health insurance from my new employer last November, but I've been putting off signing-up with a GP and getting a general checkup. drat it, I have to do this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This morning I had a Skype call with the I.T. consultant for that company I'm interviewing with. Turns out he first worked for them about ten years ago and they brought him back in recently to help them understand just how bad a place they're in from a process and systems standpoint. The call went really well and he explained that the founder of the company now recognizes that they need sweeping changes before they can go through their next growth phase. They're at the point where they will choke on any further growth.

The worst mess is in accounting but I've seen how bad a company can get and I've seen how well they can run. They're in the same industry as the last two places I've worked and I know all the business processes for all the departments and common solutions for their problems. I know the standards they need and ways to get them to accept them.

They're successful but they've been managing from habit, tradition and instinct when what they really need are policies, procedures and systems. If I can get this job I'll be busy for a good long time. Definitely one of those chaotic situations where I'll have to bring I.T. law to the lawless, but I have years of experience doing that.

I emailed the HR VP to give her a summary. The consultant will be sending one of his own. I'm hoping we can get on to the final interviews this week. If not that's fine since I'm busy wrapping up studying for my first cert.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Congratulations on finding a company who understands IT is really about process optimization more than computers in a closet.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

This morning I had a Skype call with the I.T. consultant for that company I'm interviewing with. Turns out he first worked for them about ten years ago and they brought him back in recently to help them understand just how bad a place they're in from a process and systems standpoint. The call went really well and he explained that the founder of the company now recognizes that they need sweeping changes before they can go through their next growth phase. They're at the point where they will choke on any further growth.

The worst mess is in accounting but I've seen how bad a company can get and I've seen how well they can run. They're in the same industry as the last two places I've worked and I know all the business processes for all the departments and common solutions for their problems. I know the standards they need and ways to get them to accept them.

They're successful but they've been managing from habit, tradition and instinct when what they really need are policies, procedures and systems. If I can get this job I'll be busy for a good long time. Definitely one of those chaotic situations where I'll have to bring I.T. law to the lawless, but I have years of experience doing that.

I emailed the HR VP to give her a summary. The consultant will be sending one of his own. I'm hoping we can get on to the final interviews this week. If not that's fine since I'm busy wrapping up studying for my first cert.

Are you sure you're not just copying/pasting the phoenix project and hopes no one notices? Either way you have quite the cerberus ahead of you. I worry though if none of the C-levels are on board we'll just all be back here in 2017 :(.

E: poo poo pissing me off though: gently caress vertical wave and this stupid rear end phone server. Its great if you don't touch it but gently caress trying to upgrade to the latest point release. This insane blend of .net/java/mssql is a sight to behold.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 9, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Pissing me off:

Me, in a ticket T Support: Please do <thing>. <Specific, complete details of thing.>

Support: Please confirm you want <thing> done.

No, rear end in a top hat, I opened the ticket on a loving Saturday as a joke. Please close the ticket without doing anything at all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off:

Me, in a ticket T Support: Please do <thing>. <Specific, complete details of thing.>

No, rear end in a top hat, I opened the ticket on a loving Saturday as a joke. Please close the ticket without doing anything at all.

Yeah, but they hit their SLA for responding to the customer. And the Monday crew has to actually do the work. I'd call that a win for them.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off:

Is <thing> something that would cause any sort of service interruption? If so and you didn't actually state a particular time to do <thing> (or specify "as soon as possible" or something), they might have just been trying to head off an "OMG why did you just take <thing> down?! I obviously meant for you to do it during next month's maintenance window! THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!" shitstorm.

...but yeah, most likely the weekend crew is just lazy. :v:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The first response is automated, and so is guaranteed to meet their SLA as written in the contract. It's basically a confirmation that their email server works.

No, <thing> is nothing that will break anything at all. I was even honest about Severity (Normal) and Priority (Low).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Dick Trauma posted:

Definitely one of those chaotic situations where I'll have to bring I.T. law to the lawless, but I have years of experience doing that.

How's that worked out for you so far?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In general it works out well in that the right systems get put in place and standards are adopted and maintained. I've had to do it to some degree at every place I've managed and it's been a success...

...which is separate from whether or not the people I work for appreciate those efforts, and me along with them. My point is only that the tasks at this employer are something I'm well suited for. I hope that I've also learned enough lessons to make sure I get what I need out of them until I'm ready to go somewhere else. Like I posted earlier I'm in this for the money, the title and the chance to continue working on my marketability while collecting a paycheck.

If I can get more than that, good. If not I won't be sticking around again for four years to gauge the full severity of my screwing.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
This is extremely trite but aggressively annoying. At the same time it's such a Microsoft way of doing things that I can't even be mad.

I recently learned that the Win7 ISO burner mini-app has its burning speed control based on the burning speed setting that's in Windows Media Player.

There's absolutely nothing present anywhere in either app that reveals how the two are linked. It's so stupid that you can't help but always remember that.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

Coming from the engineering side of things, this will backfire badly in their face. I have met some brilliant foreign programmers before, but the education system in India has some major major MAJOR issues with rampant cheating. The quality of code out of India is general horrible

Not only code, this goes for mechanical engineering and fabrication as well. Company I work offshored production and the hundred or so mechanical engineers are really just drafters - and not good drafters.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have any project management software they actually like using? We have trashed Wrike already, Basecamp didn't get past people not finding the UI intuitive enough (main reason Wrike failed to stick), and i'm currently going slightly crazily manually tracking this poo poo in Excel.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

We have an entire team dedicated to writing our own custom project management software.

I know because I used to be on it :suicide:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey if you're using Excel have you used MS Project?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone have any project management software they actually like using? We have trashed Wrike already, Basecamp didn't get past people not finding the UI intuitive enough (main reason Wrike failed to stick), and i'm currently going slightly crazily manually tracking this poo poo in Excel.

I've been a fan of Jira and confluence every time I've used them.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Coredump posted:

Hey if you're using Excel have you used MS Project?

One of our directors won't use it because he doesn't like the UI. Tool is for like 6 people and one person doesn't like any UI that he can't figure out in 5 minutes without training, and he is the person with the veto. Hence, my frustration/hate. I have offered to do the project management in MS Paint if it would make him use it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've been a fan of Jira and confluence every time I've used them.

We are already using Confluence, will check out Jira.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
So I came across a thing in my jobsearch cause my boss is laying me off at the end of the month.

quote:

*HIRING NOW* Shooters and Looters (Midtown)

compensation: 35000-60000 plus healthcare, dental, 401K, paid training, etc.
*HIRING NOW* Shooters and Looters

We're looking for shooters and looters, not salary-men.

Our days are long and really begin when the clients go home.

We work with hedge funds, construction firms and "interesting" clients in between where mission details may be secret. . .or occasionally, redacted.

We are a high performance, well compensated team of experts and professionals.

If you have what it takes to join our team, feel free to apply.

If not, look elsewhere.

Who you are:

You love learning AND have practical skills.

You must have a desire, a compelling need, to be better today than you were yesterday.

You think 12 hour days are for wimps.

And you can rock a Brooks Brothers suit (with appropriate tie knots)

You know what chain of command is, and you also know when to take initiative.

You have what it takes to double your salary in 3 years.

You understand that the job is yours. . .until you fail or I find somebody better.

You live by the professional's creeds:

Integrity is everything
Your word is your bond
Ready to lead, Ready to Follow, Never Quit
Take responsibility for your actions and the actions of your team mates
Failure is NOT an option
More you sweat in training, less you bleed in battle
It is an honor and a privilege to serve our clients

Keep in mind this is for NYC, where a good majority of desktop support positions start up at 45-65k. Emphasis mine on bolding.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 9, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone watched too much Wolf of Wallstreet.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Now Hiring: batteries for use 24/7 in my money printing machine, once you are out of juice you will be thrown in the garbage

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The networking gear here. I'm trying to get into the wireless controller. The web interface uses loving Java, which refuses to work because the certificate is expired. Even when I can see the login screen, it won't take my credentials saying something or other is down. Everything just wants to fight me to its dying breath.

I cannot loving wait to stop coming to this site. I'm tired of dealing with their punk rear end gear.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skooma512 posted:

The networking gear here. I'm trying to get into the wireless controller. The web interface uses loving Java, which refuses to work because the certificate is expired. Even when I can see the login screen, it won't take my credentials saying something or other is down. Everything just wants to fight me to its dying breath.

I cannot loving wait to stop coming to this site. I'm tired of dealing with their punk rear end gear.

What controller is it? Most of the ones I connect to have a CLI I ssh into which is vastly superior to use (MotorolaZebra and Cisco)

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

So I came across a thing in my jobsearch cause my boss is laying me off at the end of the month.

Keep in mind this is for NYC, where a good majority of desktop support positions start up at 45-65k. Emphasis mine on bolding.

That reads like someone who wanted to join the military but didnt wrote it.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Sounds like a job description for that sadistic brewery:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Please apply just to see what the guy says :allears:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Volmarias posted:

Please apply just to see what the guy says :allears:

:10bux: on it being something about "killing the bat-man".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ijustam posted:

Sounds like a job description for that sadistic brewery:

Deja vu, i'm fairly sure i've seen that before.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

dogstile posted:

You likely have, it's been posted in many of the IT threads. Often, when someone posts a lovely job posting someone says "Looks like a job for a Rogue", this is where that came from.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

People on this forum bring it up all the time, it's from several years back and pretty much the gold standard for "lovely Company Run By Malignant Narcissist Seeks Slave to Do All The Work."

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

That reads like someone who wanted to join the military but didnt wrote it.

Sounds like legit former military to me - some of them never grow out of that mindset. Also, lol at 30k for >12 hour days.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was laughing until it got to the bit about a 12 hour day being so normal that it wasn't even a thing to ever mention and then :stare:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Sounds like legit former military to me - some of them never grow out of that mindset. Also, lol at 30k for >12 hour days.

I think you save money because you wont need an apartment. Instead you'll sleep a one of their safe houses.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

* Rogues get paid a quarter of their true worth while working enough for four people.

That's what I was taking away from that job posting.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Didnt the former sysadmin or maybe some other formal employee post something at glassdoor about how truly awful that place was to work out?

Quick google pulled up many worthy reviews:
http://weirdtv.blogspot.com/2013/07/rogue-brewery.html - The redacted reddit comment is quoted there.
http://aleheads.com/2013/06/17/we-do-not-plan/ - Good summary.

So yeah lovely beer and a crap place to work.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

$35K / year
12 hour days
Brooks Brothers suits

Brooks Brothers suits and the cost of living of NYC for $12/hour. I get that it's $4/hour over the state minimum wage, but that employer has champagne taste on a beer budget.

Also, those Rebel postings never get old. Somebody should apply with an unconventional cover letter that says, "That chick in 50 Shades of Grey is a pussy. She doesn't know what real service is. I do, though."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

You understand that the job is yours. . .until you fail or I find somebody better.

"I need a corporal. You're it until you're dead or I find someone better."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Didnt the former sysadmin or maybe some other formal employee post something at glassdoor about how truly awful that place was to work out?

Quick google pulled up many worthy reviews:
http://weirdtv.blogspot.com/2013/07/rogue-brewery.html - The redacted reddit comment is quoted there.
http://aleheads.com/2013/06/17/we-do-not-plan/ - Good summary.

So yeah lovely beer and a crap place to work.

I just wanna punch the poo poo out of the owner and his son. Violence may not solve all things, but it is goddamned cathartic, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

MisterOblivious posted:

"I need a corporal. You're it until you're dead or I find someone better."

Would you like to work more?