Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Umm the ST has a wonderful turning radius if you use the handbrake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

bobfather posted:

I know the impatient parts of human brains can't stand this, but it's scientifically proven that drivers that leave a buffer in front of them during stop and go traffic actually relieve traffic congestion for everyone behind them.

I'm fully aware of this. It breaks up the monotony though. Unfortunately though, out here if you leave more than 1-2 car lengths in front of you, that just means someone is going to jump in front of you.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

veedubfreak posted:

I'm fully aware of this. It breaks up the monotony though. Unfortunately though, out here if you leave more than 1-2 car lengths in front of you, that just means someone is going to jump in front of you.

Even so, making a new gap behind him is the proper thing to do. I do that every day and even if I lose a minute or two because of it my left foot and lack of aggravation thank me for it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Driving instructor here:

Don't do car length gaps, use the second count (around 3-5 seconds in ideal conditions). It does space out traffic but it keeps everyone moving and gives you time to react especially if you have a tailgater.

Even if a car merges in front of you it's enough time to react and correct too.

Ok driving instructor mode off.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
I think the idea here is that the car-lengths go into effect when traffic is heavy/slow enough that you can't reliably count seconds.

I always count seconds when I'm at speed, but in Houston at about 3 PM, 3-5 seconds could be like 6 inches.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bobfather posted:

I know the impatient parts of human brains can't stand this, but it's scientifically proven that drivers that leave a buffer in front of them during stop and go traffic actually relieve traffic congestion for everyone behind them.

I would *love* to see the scientific proof of this.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Steve French posted:

I would *love* to see the scientific proof of this.

The first response to this is pretty detailed

http://www.quora.com/Do-drivers-who...fic-to-be-worse

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Check with IOC, pretty sure he had over 100k on his.

124k when I traded it in. Far from the most reliable car I've ever owned but not the worst (gently caress you 280ZX)... just a bit spendy here and there. I detailed it out here.

Still loved that car. I'll get another hot hatch someday.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

IOwnCalculus posted:

124k when I traded it in. Far from the most reliable car I've ever owned but not the worst (gently caress you 280ZX)... just a bit spendy here and there. I detailed it out here.

Still loved that car. I'll get another hot hatch someday.

Thanks!

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
I'm seeing people are already signing up on lists at dealerships for the RS. This isn't a thing is it, I mean are people really expecting it to be that limited in production that they have to camp out Wal-Mart on Black Friday style? They haven't even announced a preorder date yet and you can guarantee that someone has probably already handed over money to a dealership so they can call dibs.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Didn't the original pres release say it would be limited production?

Also I too wish it was more boy racer. But I still want it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still want it too but I'm just letdown by the styling (or lack of). It does kind of make me want wait it out and see if Mazda is bringing anything to the table next year like the much rumored new Speed models.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Test drove a 2015 Fiesta ST today with the cloth seats and sat in the Recaro seats as well. Although there weren't as many back roads as I'd like, the salesman didn't mind me getting on it hard.

All the reviews rave about it, but the seating position felt a bit high and the shifter down low. Power was nice for a car its size. Interior materials were meh, and was highlighted that much more with how nice the Recaros are in comparison.

Is it possible to get just the Recaros with no nav/sunroof/painted wheels? I'm struggling to find an example online.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bovril Delight posted:

Test drove a 2015 Fiesta ST today with the cloth seats and sat in the Recaro seats as well. Although there weren't as many back roads as I'd like, the salesman didn't mind me getting on it hard.

All the reviews rave about it, but the seating position felt a bit high and the shifter down low. Power was nice for a car its size. Interior materials were meh, and was highlighted that much more with how nice the Recaros are in comparison.

Is it possible to get just the Recaros with no nav/sunroof/painted wheels? I'm struggling to find an example online.

When I got my base model they had another base model on the lot with recaros and painted wheels. I think the recaros always come with the painted wheels. It didn't have sunroof or nav.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

When I got my base model they had another base model on the lot with recaros and painted wheels. I think the recaros always come with the painted wheels. It didn't have sunroof or nav.

Painted wheels aren't a deal breaker since they're relatively inexpensive. All the ones around here seem loaded with nav/sunroof on every single model. Ford's window sticker site seems down too - Salesman said there were 3 in the state with recaros only but I can't check the stickers.

I know you had an FRS/BRZ before, how are you liking it? I have a Miata, so a similar comparision.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bovril Delight posted:

Painted wheels aren't a deal breaker since they're relatively inexpensive. All the ones around here seem loaded with nav/sunroof on every single model. Ford's window sticker site seems down too - Salesman said there were 3 in the state with recaros only but I can't check the stickers.

I know you had an FRS/BRZ before, how are you liking it? I have a Miata, so a similar comparision.

I love the torque and the extra room. I made a great choice. On ramps are so much fun.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Yes the only thing Recaros come with are heated mirrors which doesn't make any sense. Nav, Sunroof, and painted wheels are all separate options. If you go to Ford's website and build one with just Recaros, the way I would set it up, it should be under $25k. You could always order one. Every single one I've found on dealer lots has the loving sunroof. It's the only option they seem to order in a lot of cases.

I'm 6'0" and I did find the seating position a little high and the shifter very low compared to my '11 SES.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I have a Focus ST, and a friend has a Fiesta ST. At today's autocross we swapped during time only runs. Both have Recaro's, and both are 2014's.

Handling is very similar (although I was on factory Goodyears and she was on RS-3's, so with equal tires the Focus might have been a bit better), but power curve on the Focus is so much smoother, and for me, the shifter position in the Fiesta is too low and not placed in a 'natural' position. The Fiesta 'felt' smaller/lighter (which makes perfect sense) but also a bit less refined. There is a noticeable power lag coming out of the corners hard with the Fiesta that the Focus doesn't have, and the brakes are touchier on the Fiesta as well. The ergonomics of the Focus are better (IMO) with larger displays and the fully-automatic climate control. Also, it's a bit wider and longer so slightly more roomy.

Overall I'm glad I went with the Focus, but they are really both a lot of fun to throw around, and I think it really should come down to which one you just 'like' best.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Overall I'm glad I went with the Focus, but they are really both a lot of fun to throw around, and I think it really should come down to which one you just 'like' best.

That's interesting. When I test drove a 14 FiST and FoST back to back, the Fiesta felt like a perfect package - ergonomics, clutch, brakes, everything was totally in sync. The Focus felt like a clumsy turbo engine shoehorned into a stock Focus with a heavier clutch installed. I drove the Fiesta, then the Focus, then the Fiesta again and bought it on the spot. To each his own.

Also my Fiesta has painted wheels, NAV, no sunroof, and recaros. The NAV is worthless, but I prefer the touch screen over the other stereo option.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BoostCreep posted:

That's interesting. When I test drove a 14 FiST and FoST back to back, the Fiesta felt like a perfect package - ergonomics, clutch, brakes, everything was totally in sync. The Focus felt like a clumsy turbo engine shoehorned into a stock Focus with a heavier clutch installed. I drove the Fiesta, then the Focus, then the Fiesta again and bought it on the spot. To each his own.

Also my Fiesta has painted wheels, NAV, no sunroof, and recaros. The NAV is worthless, but I prefer the touch screen over the other stereo option.

I think in the US the nav and non-nav have the same stereo, the nav is just extra software that's not enabled.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GutBomb posted:

I think in the US the nav and non-nav have the same stereo, the nav is just extra software that's not enabled.

The difference is a 800 dollar SD card basically

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

I feel the same way plus you can't heel toe the FoST for poo poo. The one I drove was a '13 did they fix the pedal placement in later models? Both great little cars though, I wouldn't say either are a bad choice.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I solved that by using a proclip magnetic mount for my phone and just use that for navigating.

Proclip edges underneath the edge of the dash panel so it doesn't block a vent or rely on a suction cup. There's a metal plate between my phone and its case and a magnet on the proclip.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

SFH1989 posted:

I feel the same way plus you can't heel toe the FoST for poo poo. The one I drove was a '13 did they fix the pedal placement in later models? Both great little cars though, I wouldn't say either are a bad choice.

According to others the pedal placement is still the same on later models. GarageLine sells spacers that you can put the gas pedal even with the brake or a little below. I'm going to spring for the one where it's a little below to compensate for trail braking.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I feel like my feet are too big to heel toe anyways...the only thing I really wish I had in my poverty spec FoST is a sunroof...glorious sun god.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Poking around on the VW site, it's kind of funny how they are advertising the 5.8" screen as a good thing. Meanwhile Europe gets the 8" screen.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Poking around on the VW site, it's kind of funny how they are advertising the 5.8" screen as a good thing. Meanwhile Europe gets the 8" screen.

There's a lot of reasons they're selling less cars here than Subaru these days. Something nobody would have ever expected 10, 15 or 20 years ago.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

BraveUlysses posted:

There's a lot of reasons they're selling less cars here than Subaru these days. Something nobody would have ever expected 10, 15 or 20 years ago.

Nah, 10 years ago you could see the writing on the wall. Subaru had a lineup full of crossovers, and VW's whole business was basically the overpriced, underpowered and unreliable Jetta.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

veedubfreak posted:

As an option.

Anyway I'd say the much bigger/more powerful engine that US cars come with is much more impressive than a slightly bigger screen on the stereo

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, 10 years ago you could see the writing on the wall. Subaru had a lineup full of crossovers, and VW's whole business was basically the overpriced, underpowered and unreliable Jetta.

I'm still impressed that Subaru somehow made it out of almost an entire decade of head gasket destruction mayhem with their reliability reputation relatively intact while VW didn't.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

8ender posted:

I'm still impressed that Subaru somehow made it out of almost an entire decade of head gasket destruction mayhem with their reliability reputation relatively intact while VW didn't.

I think there are a couple of reasons for that. Subaru was much more a niche brand with niche customers willing to forgive some issues as long as they didn't compromise the values that attracted them to Subaru in the first place. And the issues with VWs were numerous, widespread and reoccuring.

I had a GTI VR6. I loved it. But I will never buy another VW. I lost count of the number of O2 sensors and light bulbs I had to replace. I had to replace 3 window regulators on a 2 door car. The rear wiper failed in mid stroke. The wiring harness made like a protesting monk. And a piston decided to slap around and knock some chunks out of a cylinder wall that tore up the exhaust system really nice.

All of that was unquestionably covered under warranty and that's commendable, but at times it felt less like I owned a GTI and more like I borrowed a series of Jettas and Passats.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

8ender posted:

Just be glad you never got the twin turbo Legacies, especially as cheap grey market imports - I doubt Subaru's reputation here will ever recover.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Not much excitement here for the Focus RS? I had given up on it being anything but an overpowered FWD car (not that there is anything wrong with that) but was happy to see it is a AWD setup. I have heard conflicting reports about what system it uses though. Early on there were promising signs to it being a rear biased Torsen like setup. This was obviously to good to be true, but I am still not sure what it will come with. Talk of electronic clutch packs and torque vectoring (AKA torque braking) worry me.

It would be amazing to have a Halo AWD wannabe rally car, but only Subaru seem to be doing this.

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass

PeterWeller posted:

I think there are a couple of reasons for that. Subaru was much more a niche brand with niche customers willing to forgive some issues as long as they didn't compromise the values that attracted them to Subaru in the first place. And the issues with VWs were numerous, widespread and reoccuring.

I had a GTI VR6. I loved it. But I will never buy another VW. I lost count of the number of O2 sensors and light bulbs I had to replace. I had to replace 3 window regulators on a 2 door car. The rear wiper failed in mid stroke. The wiring harness made like a protesting monk. And a piston decided to slap around and knock some chunks out of a cylinder wall that tore up the exhaust system really nice.

All of that was unquestionably covered under warranty and that's commendable, but at times it felt less like I owned a GTI and more like I borrowed a series of Jettas and Passats.

I feel your pain. Did you know you have to totally remove the front bumper to change a headlight globe in a Megane 225 Cup? I do now :suicide:

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Lilbeefer posted:

Not much excitement here for the Focus RS? I had given up on it being anything but an overpowered FWD car (not that there is anything wrong with that) but was happy to see it is a AWD setup. I have heard conflicting reports about what system it uses though. Early on there were promising signs to it being a rear biased Torsen like setup. This was obviously to good to be true, but I am still not sure what it will come with. Talk of electronic clutch packs and torque vectoring (AKA torque braking) worry me.

It would be amazing to have a Halo AWD wannabe rally car, but only Subaru seem to be doing this.

The rear wheels have real torque vectoring. The AWD system can send 70% of total system power to the real wheels and 100% of that power left or right. Front wheels have a brake assist system to help rotate the car.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PeterWeller posted:

The solution to this is to only buy VWs that come out of Germany. I have owned 3 watercooled VWs and the only one I had issues with was the poverty spec 95 2.0 Jetta. My 04.5 GLI and current 11 TDI Golf have been awesome.

Also, just a reminder, 10 years ago was 2005, the Jetta had 180hp in 2005, that's not exactly underpowered for its time.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Lilbeefer posted:

I'm as excited as I can get--I am ignorant about AWD systems, but it oversteers, the engineers talk about tactile steering in every interview, and I guess with all the upgrades over the Mustang engine, it will have over 350hp.

All those are as if someone gave me veto power over design choices. I have a really good premonition that the RS is going to feel awesome and make me laugh hysterically.

Or, if less good, it will drive some better STI deals???

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Lilbeefer posted:

Trust me, the hype is there. Two things are still making me leary of it. I would like to see some reviews come out, even though seeing how well Ford did with the ST's with their attention to detail, I feel it's going to be pretty brilliant. The second is the whole "limited production" thing for NA market. That part worries me until they let us know what that means. Does it mean 3000 units? 10000? That's going to have a big impact on markups and availability. I'd hate to see them only try to bring over 3000 units, price themselves out of the market, and then discontinue because it didn't do what they wanted to. That's just my :tinfoil: coming out though, I'm sure there are much smarter people working on that who will make a good decision to grab the STi and Golf market share while still appeasing the "I want something more ridiculous than a ST" crowd.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You must have missed all the hype posting when they announced the details at the beginning of the month. The excitement is there, you're just late to the party. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

The solution to this is to only buy VWs that come out of Germany. I have owned 3 watercooled VWs and the only one I had issues with was the poverty spec 95 2.0 Jetta. My 04.5 GLI and current 11 TDI Golf have been awesome.

Also, just a reminder, 10 years ago was 2005, the Jetta had 180hp in 2005, that's not exactly underpowered for its time.

I don't think you can buy German built VWs anymore in the States. They either come out of Tennessee or Mexico.

And the Jetta had an optional 180hp in 2005 available on only the highest trims. Most were pulled around by the ancient 2.slow.