Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Aumanor posted:

I'm not certain how comfortable I am with the implication that Sera couldn't be more inbred if she was in a sandwich.

Out of everything in this game, that's what bothers you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Aumanor posted:

I'm not certain how comfortable I am with the implication that Sera couldn't be more inbred if she was in a sandwich.

As you mention it a consequence of that might actually come up later on, which is the real best evidence that yes Angel is both of her parents. I'd not really thought about it but a thing later connected to that is actual evidence and not just hearsay stuff.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm sure they can handwave it away with the medical technology that's around.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Terper posted:

Pollyana did bring up transgender, but not in the context of minorities in video games.

Well, yes in the context of minorities in media, but not explicitly. Anyway that discussion is over sooo

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

YggiDee posted:

To be fair, from a real-world perspective the sun doesn't generally turn people to stone :v:

Well it turns me into bacon, so...

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Aumanor posted:

:golfclap:

Good one, my good sir.

Good one.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That pun was terrible and singlehandedly caused this update to be withheld for a day! :mad:

not really; i did mean to post it last night but didn't have the music/video stuff uploaded ready.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Quite nice how our unwanted crash landing dropped us off exactly where we want to be. I guess whoever shot us down didn't plan this very well.

Obviously, we can't just take the plane and fly outta here now. It did have a gun of its own though, which... never got used. Well then.

....But just because we can't fly out doesn't mean we can't leave. We can just walk away.

First, gonna talk to Roland though.

Let's find Sera. Humanity's karma is too great for one person to bear alone...

I think dat's how we all pictured Nirvana would be. How'd it turn out like dis?

Now we can just up and leave.

Gonna head back to the Lokapala base for a few things.

....Like this guy.

: Serious business, remember that hee.
Who are you?
: Don't worry hee, bro. I'm a Lokapala, ho. I have hee-spect for Johnny, ho!

: I think it's a pearl or see-omething.
What's for sale?
: A hee-orb that popped out of my hee-hat.

We, uh, can't afford this yet. Once we can we'll grab it.

No thanks.
: Cheap assed hee-ho... Hee-how am I suppose to make any money, ho?

But speaking of stores...

Men need to be strong so they can protect the important people in their lives... Remember that.

wow thats bullshit lady

im taking your rings now and leaving

What are we playing?
This cool game I found outside the other night...
How's it work?

> This exciting portable shooter from ATLUS is simple to play, but impossible to master!

...ah poo poo its a shmup minigame

Seriously?
...I'm not really into games, but ok.

Cielo 'Em Up

Battle With Rare Devil

So, yes, we have a vertical scrolling shmup to deal with. I am very, very not good at shmups. :(

Also just a small thing you may notice in the video; aside from his quip at he start of the stage, none of Cielo's dialogue here is translated. It doesn't really need it but it just sorta feels weird.

This one doesn't start off too difficult at least, so there's that. We just cut through Machas and Hua Pos until an Omoikane turns up.

He gives us a little power up which upgrades Dyaus' normal shots so he can shoot two at once now.

Eventually Rangda'll turn up and she's our miniboss. Shoots a lot of bullets but very few get very far thanks to being able to fire Hunt stuff somehow that eats bullets and gives us more points.

And Baphomet is our stage 1 boss. Dude takes a while, but actually isn't that difficult at least.

...Stage 2 on the other hand, I don't get past the first few bits of. Because I am bad at shmups.

what you dont see in that video is the ~20 minutes it took to get this run :sigh:

We'll be back to do this again later. We DO get something for beating that high score of 600,000 points.

That done, we'll run off to the park again for a moment.

This lady turns up here now. Remember that guy outside the Karma Temple at the very, very end of DDS1? Possibly not, but having agreed to his request is what makes her be here.

Are you angry that I chose to live in the city, while you remain an outsider...? Did I... do the right thing? Yes, my name is Amelia... How did you know my name? He... He said, "Please be happy?" James... ...Thank you, James.

I'm going to leave this city, and try to find happiness.

Now that we've got the Lotus Flower, we can do something with this much later to get a final reward for this.

Or we can just sell it for $40,000. Naturally doing that means we can't get the proper reward (...most of the time). Definitely gonna hold onto this for now though.

And with that, we can run back to the Laboratory Dome and finally try and rescue Sera.

Egg of the Universe

So, the EGG Installation is of course our next dungeon and its thankfully shorter than the Karma Society Tower.

The entrance hall is just a giant room with nothing in it. At the very end of it's an elevator.

This one at least leads us down to the basement, where we immediately get accosted by three dudes with a deathwish.

Heroic Battle

I feel sorry for these guys already. A bunch of Gdons that aren't in their boss incarnation from before? How simple to deal with.

Egg of the Universe

You need to get to the EGG-- that's where Sera is!

So, there's also a dead dude here. And we can loot his corpse of a Hero Ration.

There's a decent amount of items around here; some are in boxes like normal, sure, but about half are on corpses.

Speaking of!

Battle for Survival

We'll skip over Gdon because already seen everything relevant about it. Macha on the other hand got a wee bit more deadly since Manipura. Although it doesn't feel like it since it almost never gets a turn anyway. :v:

Sati's also back from DDS1 and she's much weaker than the Ajna version. Kinda disappointingly so, even.

Sarasvati is, uh, Sarasvati. Not really a major threat and being weak to Mute means she can be shut down immediately and effortlessly.

Ose is actually kind of a rarity right now. He does bcome more common later in the dungeon but at present he just turns up as a human who needs to spend a turn to tune.

Earth Boosted Terazi will either drop him in one or leave him with like 5HP tops.

Yaksini is similar to Ose in rarity and needing to tune first. She's also simultaneously harder and easier to deal with; dies more consistently but her attacks are more of a problem. Barely but still.

Egg of the Universe

The first bit of the dungeon is wonderfully linear and also has its only large karma terminal.

Pretty quickly, we come to a round room with a door to the north and south. There's also that obviously locked door opposite us.

The door to the north just leads to a small path ending in a room with another Daisy in it.

Doubling back and taking the south door then.

Heroic Battle

Hey its another of our DDS1 bonuses. This one, of course, comes from Beelzebub.

...It does nothing for their ice weakness though so whatever.

Egg of the Universe

The guy we didn't just murder and eat immediately runs away at this point. I can't really blame him honestly!

Also we get the Skull Ring from this by prying it off Sati's fingers before murdering her horribly.

Well the Divine Ring repelled Expel so I suppose one that repels Death was to be expected.

Also that dead dude in the corner? Just had a couple Dis-Aches.

Following the dude that ran away, he's kind enough to open the door that leads further in for us.

Naturally, we will give chase and come to another elevator. The room further to the east? There's nothing in it.

Elevator takes us further down and brings with it a change of scenery. (The room to Serph's right here also has nothing of interest in it.)

That of course means...

Battle for Survival

New random encounters! Scathach's probably the hardest thing to run into down here. She hits hard, resists all our good things and even when panicked she's more inclined to still destroy us than skip a turn or give us free things.

It takes two boosted mid-tier spells to drop her so if she's paired with something with a weakness we can exploit then she's a lot easier and might not even get a turn.

Speaking of things with weaknesses, Taraka has many that we can exploit. She's not really a threat at all, which is both disappointing and yet relieving.

Egg of the Universe

Following the one path, we come to another door we can't open and...

...Another another door we can't open. This one has a 02 above it though. Hmm.

Fortunately, there is a third path here leading to two rooms. We'll take the room in front of us first.

There's a lot of uninteresting computer stuff in here, but there's also a box with a Vital Data in it. That's nice to have even if I will perpetually forget its existence.

The other room has this guy in it.

...Ohhh... You're the-- I shouldn't have run away earlier. I just... I guess I just lost my head, you know? The Director told us to cooperate, so...

Madame's soldiers moved in fast, but there must be some researchers who are still alive... You won't get too far without security cards. Ask the remaining researchers about them. ...I need to make sure I'm not caught.

Now that we've got this, I'm sure you know exactly where we can put this to use.

Just gotta run back to the door with a 01 above it and we can continue onwards in that direction. Still need a second card for the 02 one of course, which is probably over here somewhere.

...Or I'd bloody well hope so since there's another 02 door right off the bat on this side and all.

Directly behind Serph here, opposite the door, is another small computer room. This one has 3 Dis-Poisons in it.

Continuing onward, we actually have to go down a floor to come to this intersection with 3 possible paths. Being on a new floor for real...

Battle for Survival

That means we can get jumped by Taowns now too. They're identical to before but here we have a good spellcaster. A single Terazi, or comboed (Ma)terazi if there are multiple, and they all die immediately.

Egg of the Universe

The west path leads to... a small room with nothing in it. The north and east paths both lead to the same hallway, so we'll take the north path and follow that around clockwise. First room gives us these Medical Tools.

The second door leads to a small room with nothing in it. The third takes us back to the small karma terminal. The fourth... lets us get two mirrors that I immediately proceed to forget I picked up.

The fifth door is different to all the others in many ways. It's bigger, it's a different colour, it has two lights shining on it. I wonder what's inside!

Silence

Uh, that is a giant... thing encased in ice and chained up. Seems a bit excessive but damned if its not impressive.

Egg of the Universe

It's moving.

Demon data from the sunlight is normally harmless, and disperses naturally in the atmosphere. Angel strengthened that data over five years, and eventually created the demon virus.

Alright, let's grill this guy over all three things we can ask about!

Where is Sera?

Her sacrifice is necessary for the Tuners... humanity's future.
What's wrong with Heat?

We needed you guys so that Sera would obey us... That's all I know!
Where is the security card?
Huh? What card?

I don't care what you have to say.
Spare me! Please... I probably don't taste good!

Yeah, sure, whatever.

So what about you, guy?

What's behind the glass?
Th-That's Mega...nada... It's one of the terrible demons that appeared five years ago...

In fact, the Director couldn't have created the demon virus without that thing's data and the EGG.
...What happened five years ago!?
...You mean you don't know!?

Who the hell ARE you...? You have to be him... Or, are you really just an avatar?
...Where is the security card?
A-Alright. T-Take it... Just don't eat me!

See? I helped... D-Don't eat me, okay?
I don't care what you have to say.
B-B-But... You'll let me live, right?

Now with the key, we could just leave this "Meganada" thing and go continue deeper into the facility.

But we still have Roland and Argilla to talk to.

Virtual data and data from the real world are essentially the same... It says that's the reason they chose you --people of the Junkyard-- as test subjects for the virus. This isn't just science; it's bordering on philosophy.

It's amazing... There are so many myths about gods and demons. Maybe there really is another world beyond this one.
...Another world?
Just look at the Junkyard. Wouldn't it be just as easy for this world to connect to a higher one?
So, what's that big thing?
Just a second...

...Indrajit... ...You're kidding me.

Hey, so... if that thing is still alive... we should probably get out of here now. "Indrajit" literally means "Conqueror of Indra." Because he kinda sorta kicked Indra's rear end.

...i think roland picked the wrong atma

On our way to the 02 door by the small terminal, figured I'd stop in and rake in our new +2 Strength bonus from it. Not as useful as it sounds right now though.

This security door is the second one we passed; the one beyond the 01 door. It leads to a small branching path.

The door dead ahead leads to a room with nothing of interest in it. The one to the left gives us a new flower.

Nothing else there, so we'll head all the way back to the other 02 door and continue past it.

This path is nice and simple despite its appearance. Taking the branch to the right first.

...Oh. Yeah, sometimes a corpse is just a corpse. Ignore that turn to the left; it leads to nothing.

The door we could see has our requisite new bullet in it. Nothing too exciting.

Heading back to the main path, following it on ahead and then taking the second branch and we get a free normal Sapphire. Meh.

Other door leads onwards, then. And this guy's both still alive and already looted!

...Of course there's an 03 door right here.

Battle for Survival

Hey, we past another locked door so tht mans we can fight Braphomets Baphomets now. They're almost the same as before - but now with a bonus Mute weakness! - which is nice.

I also just noticed that they have a giant medal tucked into their pants with a slightly altered Caduceus symbol on it. How did I never notice that before? :psyduck:

There's also Tan-Kis who are sort of similar to before. Except camera shy apparently.

Lastly, we have downgraded Pazuzus hanging out from now on. Scathachs are the hardest enemy to fight, but Pazuzus are the biggest bastards. Because they have Pulinpa.

...argilla what are you doing

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Egg of the Universe

Ahem. So, yes, Panic can now make you literally throw away money. And no, you don't get it back when you win.

And two Pazuzus are only worth about half what we lost. With the Rich Ring included.

Anyway, from the 03 door we go to the south, come to a three way intersection and then take the left (east) path which lets us get 2 Quick Datas. How nice.

South gives us nothing and west gives us another free Tiger's Eye. Nothing else down here though.

So we'll head back and go further north coming to another two way intersection. The right leads to nothing of value so we'll continue to the north.

And I'm getting deja vu from all this. Start with west this time since that's on the left again. Might as well keep this "clockwise" thing going.

This one lets us get some decent MP recovery. If I ever remember to use it.

Great timing; we were starting to get hungry.

Door to the north leads to these two clowns. I can hear their death screams already.

Heroic Battle

At least two Baphomets is technically harder than "a couple Gdons or two Sati." For all the nothing that matters. Makajam to silence 'em both and whoops they're chumped.

Egg of the Universe

That was nice and easy to get to at least...

So what's in the much more interesting and relevant gold container?

Oh it is a ring that is Actually Good.

Got this equipped and go first? Yeah, you do double damage. Just outright doubled. Really good for clearing out trash effortlessly and even slices through boss HP pretty fast... at first. Eventually you could end up dealing less than normal.

Which is why I don't bother with it for longer fights. It's really, really good right now though. I still don't bother with it though.

So, that last door in the previous room?

Ugh. Let's just go back to the 03 security door and continue onwards.

Wait, what? Password?

Did I... I don't think I missed something.

...Why don't we ask someone, bro?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, my first choice for someone to ask would be the guy who moaned about someone beating him up and taking his card.

I'm okay with this development - it's not like the party knows poo poo about facility security anyhow.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

The Cielo shmup is a private video.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Whoops. Thought I changed that this morning; apparently not! Have done now though.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
It's been such a long time since I played this. I totally forgot that Angel concocted the demon transformation virus; I always figured it was just a gameplay-oriented deal to add SMT demons.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
That shmup was...a thing, all right.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Yeah, moment I saw I the "Conqueror of Indra", I wanted to tell Roland to run like hell.

Also, I love the dungeon music here. It's really relaxing yet driving.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Translated or not, the Cielo shmup is The Best Thing.

I'm even worse at it than Dragonatrix, but still. Best Thing. :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Egg of the Universe

So, that password we need? Yeah, uh, its... written on the keycard.

holy poo poo the karma society is super loving incompetent

You just swipe it and then put in the code written on the bloody thing. If they couldn't tune, this would be pathetic.

Anyway, moving on and...

not even gonna say it.

The turn to the right lets us snag another free Scarlet Pearl, this one not from kicking the stuffing out of the Tribvhana.

The turn to the left gets us 2 impact bombs. Meh.

The way forward immediately makes us not need the keycard we just got. At least there's a Life Terminal here.

So we need to find the fourth card to do anything else. The door to the west was right there but... it leads to a small room with nothing of interest in it. So instead, we'll go to the east and then through the door to the south.

...Oh. That was easier than I figured it would've been. We'll go further east before going past the 04 gate though.

The turn to the east leads to nothing (again...) but that's an elevator at the far end. You'd think it would lead onwards, but you'd be wrong.

EGG Facility Field Hunt

Sicily

Instead this one leads directly to our next field hunt. And this one is a doozy and I don't like it much.

It's a giant, giant area with very few orbs in it and they're all spaced super far apart and its not very fun and kind of a pain and the only one to date I'm gonna say "gently caress it" and not try to get a good rank because ahahaha

Kusi Mitamas are next up and they're weak to Force etc. etc. Serph's already mastered his current Mantra so he can't eat them and I, um, Argilla doesn't even have a hunt skill still and Cielo's isn't equipped.

So I had to try and kill them the "normal" way and that ends about as well as you'd expect.

Egg of the Universe

So after that disaster we'll just go to the 04 gate and carry on. Like before, the password is just written on the card.

that is still stupi- you are loving kidding. Immediately after going through the 04 door? Get rid o' that card because you need the 05 one now!

Also drat, someone already looted the dead guy.

At least he still had this note. I'm sure it'll be relevant later.

The south part of that branch leads to... nothing... again. So we'll just come through here and take advantage of that small terminal. This part also branches to the north and south from there.

We'll go south first. From this immediate new branch, we'll go to the right/west.

This brings us to a new small room with our fight in a box in it.

Three Taowns is meh. A Materazi (combo'd here of course) drops them all instantly. Oh well.

The eastern part of the southern path just gives us a single Medical Kit.

Going back to the north and here we'll go right/east.

It doesn't let us get much, but a second Rose is a very nice thing to pick up all the same.

The northwestern area gives us these three losers.

Heroic Battle

Hey it's an actual potential threat.

In part because they're both jerks alone but also because Pazuzu and Scathach can combo to hit us with a Tentarafoo.

Making Scathach panic and blasting Pazuzu with Elec stuff helps it go smoothly at least.

Egg of the Universe

That gives us the fifth card and, like with the third, there's a golden container right there.

This one is also a ring that is quite nice in theory.

Its actual use is super, super niche but whenever it does come up it's nice to have.

And this card doesn't have a password printed on it.

...At least not blatantly. A-B-Y-S-S and the note we saw earlier becomes 1-2-25-19-19 or 12251919 and wouldn't you know it? That just happens to be exactly enough numbers to fit this lock and be our password.

Before continuing on, I needed to get new mantras again and then this happened. Esoteric 2 is not very good.

Miser's Spirit is a niche-within-a-niche passive. If you get panicked and then your character opts to throw money away... if they have this they throw away slightly less. It is not worth a drat thing. Just skip it.

Little past the 05 gate, we get a branch. Gonna keep going west, since the south path leads us to nothing.

Again.

Well, that door is bigger than normal and has a different design. There's a small terminal to our left, so we'll go south first.

It only lets us get our second Great Chakra, but that's not exactly a bad thing by any means.

So lets go through that other door.

Earth Bound

Hey, it's that guy again.

Epic Battle ~ Prelude

You, uh, you okay there, Earth?

wow impressive thing you just did earth - you pissed off cielo. that takes some work.

We've learned that strenth is not everything.

Boss: Tribvhana Round 3 ~ Earth Solo

Hunting ~ Betrayal
hey you reading this right now. click that link. do it. don't ask why just do it.

also music name changes! this is called Hunting on integral but the normal dds2 soundtrack calls it Hunting ~ Betrayal which fits so much better here.

Yeah, yah, whatever you say Earth. Just tune already so we can kick your rear end again. It's not like Ubelluris has ever been hard or the like.

And, of course, you're going to use Cielo here. It fits the proceeding scene too well not to. Besides if you try to not use him, he autodeploys immediately anyway.

...that's not ubelluris.

earth what did you do how did you do that

So, we're actually fighting Abaddon! He has the same resistances and weaknesses as Ubelluris. I guess that makes sense since he is still Earth and all.

He's also, appropriately enough, a fairly heavy Phys attacker. If I remembered to us an Attack Mirror here, he could kick things off by ruining his own HP by putting a Taunt up first.

but i didnt so oops

After losing about 500 health, he stops loving around with being Ubelluris mk2 and starts to switch things up a bit.

I'LL SWALLOW YOU WHOLE!

Gate to Abyss is... a super underwhelming attack.

He just bits down on someone and, yes, eats them. This does remove them from the field. He picks his target for this randomly, of course.

And afterwards, he follows up with this.

After eating someone he will always use Bellow which reveals Abaddon's true nature.

He's a barrier change boss! There's one crucial flaw with it here though.

Rather than be completely random he shifts in a set pattern. His resistances always start by matching Ubelluris, since that's his natural state. His first Bellow makes his resistances those of Ganga.

So we just blast him with Earth spells now.

And he begins his turn by spitting out Cielo. Merely being swallowed by Gate to Abyss actually does nothing beyond remove them from the field.

Abaddon doesn't drain from it, they don't take damage when you attack the guy and even being forcibly removed leaves them unharmed.

So long as you can hit him hard enough, he just wastes his turns. The only thing it actually even does is make you game over when the other 2 characters drop instead.

Oh, and of course when he switches resistances around he also switches attacks for good measure. Since he's emulating Ganga right now he also uses her attacks.

I could almost feel sorry for the guy were he not suddenly a complete and utter shitheel.

We just rocked up the society, attacked the tower and destroyed his entire worldview effortlessly.

Also after being Ganga he switches to Cu Sith. And then back to Ubelluris etc. etc.

At least as Cu Sith he does some interesting things that Air never actually did. And by "interesting" I mean uses some ailments. Silent Howl, of course, has a chance to inflict Mute.

Granted these do come at a price; namely, he cannot Dekaja or Dekunda!

He also casts Diarama but a single mid-tier spell will outdo that effortlesly.

So, Abaddon. Great music, great money, great drop, great plot beat. And I love how Cielo got the last hit on the guy to take out the last of his 3500HP. That's just perfect.

Silence

Get outta my sight.

Defeat

End

Egg of the Universe

That keycard will come in handy later, I'm sure. For now we've got a nice break so we'll see what the gang has to say.

Angel's "liberation" would be breaking away from that. Nobody knows what would come after liberation, but it could be the true form of mankind. Angel connected that concept to biological evolution. Karma's simplest form is natural selection. She believes that path leads to enlightenment, but... With different wording, isn't that just annihilation?

Tribe 96 and Cyber Shaman 19

Recollection

End

Egg of the Universe

I believe so...
This makes it sound like the entire Junkyard was deleted.

Did you examine the document Argilla found? The green fire we saw must have been the "initialization code." Even though the color and size are different, something similar is in the sky, here. ...I feel uneasy.

Now we can continue onwards and... go all the way down to the 30th floor.

The surprisingly empty 30th floor. There's another door at the end of this corridor that has the same setup as the one that led to Meganada's room. There's nothing else here so...

The Rescue Attempt
hey so should really just watch this instead

Silence

Y'now, that thing looks familiar.

Ah, that explains it. I guess we've found where Sera was at the end of DDS1 at last.

Of course Cuvier is watching us approach that egg-shaped thing.

....But she's not the only one.

Sera!
Sera!

Heat

Hey, uh, Heat, what're you doing?

Whatever it is, it's not part of the plan apparently.

Wait, hang on...

Silence

Well, we could be a dick to spite the guy or we could pick the obvious answer.

We're comrades...

Flashback time...

Since its not cut out of DDS1 it's quite short, of course.

Meanwhile at a different place, somethingis happening with satellites.

Many, may satellites all just outside of the city... walls?

pfft ahaha yuri lowenthal trying to do a british accent is amazing

Ahem. HAARP is a real thing but I know nothing about it other than that. Sorry.

That can't be! The system isnt even connected.

Something about this looks familiar...

I see that Angel has been keeping herself nice and busy.

Surprised it took so long to cut through all those generic mooks, though.

Serph's in there.

Scream

Silence

What is this room. Why does it exist.

Considering she ran in here to wallow and cry is all that water her tears. What even is this.

But y'know, I like this. The entire first half of the game has had Cuvier be built up to be a major antagonist, probably were waiting for the inevitable boss fight...

Instead, Angel just walks up behind her and shoots her in the head with that one bullet she was saving.

What De Hell? It Wasn't Supposed To Be Dis Way!
hey look another music name change this time its between english and japanese Integrals; this is the english title and it owns. the original title is "This Isn't Very Interesting Either" which.... does not fit in the slightest

Cielo...

Oh good, they put Sera in clothes during the scene transition.

We only have until sunrise.

So what do we do?

End

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I always liked the finale to the Tribhvana. The game treats them like they're the recurring, borderline comic relief trio of rivals seen in many JRPGs, but then it pulls a fast one by having it end in an incredibly hosed up way by Earth eating the others. It doesn't help that Abaddon is also super freaky-looking.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That message about Serph leaving the party is so hilariously cruel.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
God dammit, Heat!

So. Uh. Who are we controlling at this point?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Digital Jello posted:

I always liked the finale to the Tribhvana. The game treats them like they're the recurring, borderline comic relief trio of rivals seen in many JRPGs, but then it pulls a fast one by having it end in an incredibly hosed up way by Earth eating the others. It doesn't help that Abaddon is also super freaky-looking.

Freaky? Try hilarious. What the hell are those animations, this guy is impossible to take seriously. I was laughing way too hard at poor Earth there.

The whole eating his friends part was kind of freaky though.

Also Serph's death was really silly. On the other hand, Cuvier's death works really well, because you expect her to be this super important, big bad-level enemy and then...she just gets shot in the head. After losing all hope, because humanity is hosed.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

That is what I meant about the Tribhvana, they set them up as the usual recurring miniboss squad yet the game makes you fight them so quickly in sucession (the first two times are two almost identical battles in the same dungeon). Not only that, there seems to be an unexplored rivalry with Cielo there, why did Gale specifically say "Cielo is far greater than you"? And why is Cielo forced into your party for that battle? It feels as if we had skipped an episode of a TV show.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Petiso posted:

That is what I meant about the Tribhvana, they set them up as the usual recurring miniboss squad yet the game makes you fight them so quickly in sucession (the first two times are two almost identical battles in the same dungeon). Not only that, there seems to be an unexplored rivalry with Cielo there, why did Gale specifically say "Cielo is far greater than you"? And why is Cielo forced into your party for that battle? It feels as if we had skipped an episode of a TV show.

Cielo isn't as physically powerful as Earth in-story, but Gale views him as a much stronger person than Earth. Cielo also just raged at Earth, so it makes sense for Gale to mention him specifically.

Cielo is really, really pissed off that Earth ate his partners purely to get stronger, thus he will push himself into the active party to beat his face in.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

legoman727 posted:

God dammit, Heat!

The screen is centered on Gale in the screenshot.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

legoman727 posted:

God dammit, Heat!

Looks like we'll get Sera in the party now? The opening cinematic for this game features her with a devil tattoo (or whatever those things are called) like the rest of them.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Always liked this part. You're building up to a dramatic confrontation between the leaders of two factions and then they both get murked in the same cutscene.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That... uh... I wasn't expecting that.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Well that came out of left field :stare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

legoman727 posted:

God dammit, Heat!

Looks like Gale. He always was the second-in-command in most ways, so that fits.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm actually trying to remember Abbadon's various fusion recipes to see if Cu Sith, Ganda and Ullberius were a part of that mix.

But yeah, way to go Earth. You managed to piss off the nicest member of Embryon. That takes a hell of an effort to do so. :bravo:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Petiso posted:

I like the idea that Cielo just wanted to have a sky-themed rival but couldn't decide between Air and Heaven, so when Earth ate both of them, he got the honor instead.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

NGDBSS posted:

Looks like we'll get Sera in the party now? The opening cinematic for this game features her with a devil tattoo (or whatever those things are called) like the rest of them.

It also had Argilla running on a beach in a bikini. Can't wait to see how that ties in.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

God drat I can't stop listening to Hunting ~ Betrayal. SMT games' music is too awesome for their own good.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
And this is where the game's story turns from "pretty cool" to :wtc:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Gamma Nerd posted:

And this is where the game's story turns from "pretty cool" to :wtc:

this game's story goes WAY beyond :wtc:.... It truly is something

I of course mean this in a good way.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Oh, me too. I adore this game. I can think of a few that surpass it in terms of weirdness, like Killer 7 or Xenosaga, but this game's story is a really great one, and honestly a really touching one. It is definitely one which goes in some very weird directions, though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just remember, no matter what happens: this is the most unambiguously upbeat game/series in the entire SMT franchise.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Just remember, no matter what happens: this is the most unambiguously upbeat game/series in the entire SMT franchise.

Apart from the Persona games.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Persona 4 Dancing All Night?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Apart from the Persona games.

Persona 4, maybe. The others tend to be bittersweet at best. But even then, this kinda outdoes it by the end. I won't be able to explain until then, but I will, if I remember.

Clarste posted:

Persona 4 Dancing All Night?

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Persona 4, maybe. The others tend to be bittersweet at best. But even then, this kinda outdoes it by the end. I won't be able to explain until then, but I will, if I remember.

Persona 1 was pretty upbeat too. 2 and 3 more than make up for the other two.

Also, I'm going to second that :frogout: for P4DAN

• Locked thread