Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
When I first realized the squeaky sound was the cockroaches I sort of imagined that they were riding little bitty squeaky bicycles :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ProfessorBooty posted:

When I first realized the squeaky sound was the cockroaches I sort of imagined that they were riding little bitty squeaky bicycles :3:

This just makes me want to stomp them harder. gently caress roaches.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My Cockroach Fixie

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

muike posted:

My Cockroach Fixie

Geop, mods, please

Golbez posted:

James is also the autistic child.

James is also the snow globe itself.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I recall reading that a lot of the James corpses relate to Eddie. I vaguely remember that after meeting Eddie you start finding corpses with bullet holes. The idea behind that being is that Eddie dislikes James from the moment he meets him even though he doesn't state it.

e: still doesn't explain why Dead James is already popping up though.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I've seen you and Bob puzzle over Chinese/Japanese characters more than a few times, so I thought I'd let you know that you're both right. Chinese characters (called "Hanzi" in Mandarin) are the basis for Japanese Kanji, and by "basis" I mean exactly the same thing, because the Chinese brought their writing system to the Japanese, who didn't have one of their own at the time. The words are different, but all the characters mean more or less the same thing. "Hiragana" meanwhile is a set of letters the Japanese invented by abstracting the shapes of certain Kanji because the characters alone did not fit Japanese grammar the way it fit Chinese. The presence of Hiragana in a sentence is a good way to tell if it's Chinese or Japanese, and since there isn't any there it's probably Chinese.

Also because it's called the Lucky Jade Restaurant.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Konami Europe just tweeted "Valentine's Day question! What is the best demonstration of love in a #KONAMI game, in your opinion!" with a picture of MARY FROM SILENT HILL 2.

https://twitter.com/konamieu/status/566275381238714371

Happy Valentine's everyone in the thread!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

A.G.Pennypacker posted:

Konami Europe just tweeted "Valentine's Day question! What is the best demonstration of love in a #KONAMI game, in your opinion!" with a picture of MARY FROM SILENT HILL 2.

https://twitter.com/konamieu/status/566275381238714371

Happy Valentine's everyone in the thread!

James loved mmmmmmmmmmostly having sex with women who weren't dying of an incurable illness!

porkbun
Aug 6, 2006

ProfessorBooty posted:

I imagined the same thing!

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Happy Valentine's Day, spoiler thread!

(let me just double-check to make sure this is the spoiler thread..... good!)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I love this thread. :allears:

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I don't know if this has already been disused, but does Pyramid Head's Pyramidness mean anything or is it just supposed to be a scary shape?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
It's supposed to be reminiscent of an executioner's hood and was designed so it would look uncomfortable to wear.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

In It For The Tank posted:

It's supposed to be reminiscent of an executioner's hood and was designed so it would look uncomfortable to wear.

He looks like he's trying to pull it off of his head at a few points.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Was looking through my imgur folder and found this old thing:

(can't remember if it's a hoax or not)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Haven't you seen the monsters?"

"Eet's naht a monstah!"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Haerc posted:

Still my favorite Silent Hill theory

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Haerc posted:

Well, it's not a hoax because all those in-game textures are real and all those screencaps of Kindergarten Cop are real. Team Silent probably used the film as reference for what American grammar schools looks like (way different than Japanese schools)!

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

VoidBurger posted:

Well, it's not a hoax because all those in-game textures are real and all those screencaps of Kindergarten Cop are real. Team Silent probably used the film as reference for what American grammar schools looks like (way different than Japanese schools)!

I couldn't remember if someone had just put in the posters from Kindergarten Cop, since the bus, the medical cabinet and the school entrance are kind of ambiguous.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I don't know if this has already been disused, but does Pyramid Head's Pyramidness mean anything or is it just supposed to be a scary shape?

I've heard a theory that his shape could be interperted as an abstracted penis.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

ladyboy pancake posted:

I've heard a theory that his shape could be interperted as an abstracted penis.

I think you could say that about a lot of things, though.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Yeah, the one problem I have with theorizing about stuff in Silent Hill (and other similar media) is that eventually it starts getting really vague. When you start talking about the powers of the town and what they can do (i.e. the discussion about how Laura could just be a figment of the town itself) it starts to just become the equivalent of "a wizard did it" or "god did it" making everything kind of meaningless. Technically everything could just be a figment of the town but then it kind of loses all meaning and it becomes uninteresting. Same goes with really vague symbolism; lots of things could be abstracted phallic imagery, although PH definitely fits the role better than some other things.

Fake e:

As kind of proof, the wiki itself talks about how the great knife and spear can be seen as phallic imagery. (I can see the spear, but how the hell the knife?)

Looking at the wiki and discussions on other boards a lot of people try and shoehorn everything into sexual imagery. Sexuality and and sexual frustration are definitely a theme in SH2 but not everything is sexual, come on guys (not people in this thread, just in general.)

Garrand fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 15, 2015

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well you see James was burdened by a giant penis which he could only slowly drag behind him and frighten monsters with and

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Labeling every single long and rigid thing as "a penis" is nothing new, there is hardly anything left in the world that hasn't been called phallic at some point.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012
I think the game gives a strong hint that Angela and Eddie are real (as well as James' less than noble nature) during the puzzle sequence in the prison. There are three tiles, each with a sin that Laura, Eddie or James feels guilty about. I think they were The Oppressor, The Seductress and The Glutton, but I can't be bothered to check. The thing is, at this point James hasn't accepted his actions and probably didn't see himself as an oppressor - so it's a hint to the player, both that James isn't so clear-cut a protagonist as he seems, and that there's a diagetic intelligence rendering judgement on the current human inhabitants of the nightmare world.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

King Vidiot posted:

Labeling every single long and rigid thing as "a penis" is nothing new, there is hardly anything left in the world that hasn't been called phallic at some point.

Except all the things that have been called yonic, of course.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Adult Illiteracy posted:

I think the game gives a strong hint that Angela and Eddie are real (as well as James' less than noble nature) during the puzzle sequence in the prison. There are three tiles, each with a sin that Laura, Eddie or James feels guilty about. I think they were The Oppressor, The Seductress and The Glutton, but I can't be bothered to check. The thing is, at this point James hasn't accepted his actions and probably didn't see himself as an oppressor - so it's a hint to the player, both that James isn't so clear-cut a protagonist as he seems, and that there's a diagetic intelligence rendering judgement on the current human inhabitants of the nightmare world.

People usually label Maria as the seductress. I guess it's pretty jarring to label a rape victim as such, unless the game is hinting at something much darker.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Sorry if someone else has already pointed this out, but I decided to do a play through on my HD version and the road sign distances are different than Voidburger's. Brahms is only 18 miles away. The other two are 1 and 6, or something like that.

I'm playing the UK version but it seems weird that detail would be different.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012

grimlock_master posted:

People usually label Maria as the seductress. I guess it's pretty jarring to label a rape victim as such, unless the game is hinting at something much darker.

Yeah, I was angling it more as something that the individual feels guilty about rather than something they've done wrong. It's not uncommon for survivors of sexual trauma to blame themselves, and Eddie's has nothing to do with his violent psychopathic tendencies but more to do with him feeling fat. I'm hesitant to accept Maria in that space because then there isn't really any unifying factor between the three representations and I doubt it's arbitrary.

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013
I always thought Angela's father was the Oppressor, Maria was the Seductress, and Eddie was a stress eater.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Angela's mother told Angela to her face that she was asking for her father's sexual abuse. So yeah, even though she isn't, Angela probably thinks she's the Seductress.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

grimlock_master posted:

I can't remember where it crops up off the top of my head, but Angela's mother tells her she deserved her abuse and blamed her for everything her father did to her. So, as sick as it is, in her mother's eyes, she 'seduced' her father (and brother if you believe that tidbit).

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm not a Silent Hill expert by any means but the impression I get of Team Silent's development process isn't some grand vision spanning multiple games that will All Make Sense In The End but rather a number of themes they used at different times to create a more psychological type of horror. Priority number one being that it has emotional impact rather than 'making sense'. You are basically in a supernatural hellhole so they don't have to explain very much to be 'satisfying' in that regard.

Like in Silent Hill 1 the themes are basically: Crazy Cult, Drugs, Parasites(?), Subconscious Nightmares

But in Silent Hill 2 it was more: Nightmares borne out of guilt punishing you

Team Silent basically did whatever they had to do to bring these themes home, 'making sense' beyond its immediate context being a distant priority. I remember reading on Gama Sutra from people who have worked both in Japan and Western countries on games that the biggest difference between Western and Japanese game development is that the Japanese tend to be more sequential in their development process. Meaning that they'll often maken world 1, then world 2, then world 3 without thinking too much about the step beyond. In comparison Western developers tend to make some sort of 'framework' first before filling in all the details. Obviously neither is 'better' than the other and, having learned Japanese years ago myself, Japanese fans tend to be just as pissed about 'inconclusive' lore of series they like as much as Western fans do.

It's just a personal theory of mine but I don't think it's a coincidence that the timelines of several well known Japanese series (Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, etc.) make no real sense and also that there are huge tonal differences between games. That's not to say Western games are not guilty of the same phenomenom, ofcourse, but it seems to be more prevalent in Japanese games, which I personally believe to be somewhat of a cultural thing.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that
The three stone tablets are found in the prison, and in the immediate context of that puzzle (couldn't say if it was right before or right after), you encounter a graveyard with tombstones for James, Eddie, and Angela. It's natural on the first playthrough to associate The Seductress with Maria, but the more you look at the larger picture, the more it's definitely talking about the three real humans who are present.

I think the placement of the tablets relates to this as well, but I'm not 100% sure? The Oppressor you find in the prison cell that locks James in, The Seductress you find in a low-privacy gym style shower stall if I remember correctly? And I didn't remember myself where The Gluttonous Pig is found so I had to check SHWiki, which says you find it in the cafeteria right after talking to Eddie.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

DeathChicken posted:

Well you see James was burdened by a giant penis which he could only slowly drag behind him and frighten monsters with and

Sometimes a great knife is just a great knife.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It's kinda weird that Eddie is the Gluttonous Pig, since his eating habits don't really relate to his sin. He'd be more closely related to Wrath than Gluttony, but I guess the town decided that anyone who stops in the middle of their personal hell to scarf down a cold pizza could afford to lose some weight.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The plates are just super judgmental of all of them.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Crowetron posted:

It's kinda weird that Eddie is the Gluttonous Pig, since his eating habits don't really relate to his sin. He'd be more closely related to Wrath than Gluttony, but I guess the town decided that anyone who stops in the middle of their personal hell to scarf down a cold pizza could afford to lose some weight.

That's just his healing item. Eddie doesn't really seem like a Health Drink kind of guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
The plates seem to contain their self-judgments, rather than an outside opinion. Angela isn't a seductress but thinks she is; James doesn't consciously realize he's the oppressor but he obviously subconsciously does; so perhaps, to Eddie, his worst sin is gluttony.

Or, worse, they contain James' judgments of them. Which would work for Eddie's plate, but gets really hosed up for Angela's. Yet, not entirely outside of the realm of possibility, considering James' psychosexual issues.

• Locked thread