Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

I live in Philippines (no broadcast, even in cable) so I paid for this: http://www.starsports.com/ssplus/index.html $40 and its top notch, if you can it working with vpn in aus its great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Forgot to post this last night: here is a picture of the bar at 9 PM - 90 minutes before the game started. They were already turning people away.

Side note: Please bring the World Cup back to the West Indies so it's not in an insane time zone for us filthy Americans.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

zakharov posted:

Forgot to post this last night: here is a picture of the bar at 9 PM - 90 minutes before the game started. They were already turning people away.

Side note: Please bring the World Cup back to the West Indies so it's not in an insane time zone for us filthy Americans.

This one is pretty good for the west coast if you don't mind staying up a little late. Definitely don't have to see the sunrise to catch the end of any match and some are finished at a reasonable hour.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

When I said American I clearly meant the One and True Eastern Time Zone :colbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Windies are hosed both financially and in terms of general management. They ain't getting anything any time soon.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Haha is this the world cup of poo poo anthems?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Did they make up an anthem for the Windies?

EDIT: these Ireland uniforms rule

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

zakharov posted:

I loving love it

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

zakharov posted:

EDIT: these Ireland uniforms rule

They use a late 80s calypso tune about the decline of West Indies cricket if you can believe it.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
I still find it fascinating that islands separated by a few miles have absolutely no sporting crossover. Cuba? Baseball. No cricket. Dominican Republic? Baseball. No cricket. St. Kitts? Cricket. No baseball. Jamaica? Cricket. No baseball.

Thanks, English overlords!

The Spanish love beisbol.

PS, someone tell Gayle this isn't a test.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Anyone have a decent stream? My usual site is being lovely.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

MaoistBanker posted:

I still find it fascinating that islands separated by a few miles have absolutely no sporting crossover. Cuba? Baseball. No cricket. Dominican Republic? Baseball. No cricket. St. Kitts? Cricket. No baseball. Jamaica? Cricket. No baseball.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. They have cricket islands and baseball islands in the same way that England has cricket towns and rugby towns. One does dominate depending where you go, but Jamaicans don't find baseball completely foreign.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
My impression also is that cricket is kinda dying off in the West Indies. People are going into other forms of sport, partially because professional cricket really doesn't pay in the West Indies unless you get an IPL/BBL contract - that's why you always near stories of Narine or Gayle saying that they are "injured" and can't be available for selection for West Indies international tours while they continue to play franchise cricket.

MaoistBanker posted:

someone tell Gayle this isn't a test.

tbh 29 of the first 6 isn't that bad: that's still five an over and this isn't a T20 so you can afford to not go into slogging mode from the start and play your way in a bit.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

camoseven posted:

Anyone have a decent stream? My usual site is being lovely.

http://www.1live.tv/live-sports/star-sports-1-live-streaming.php

please no ban

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

we've shared streaming sites in the thread before and never had an issue, dunno why the world cup would be any different

the canadian streaming service apparently costs CDN$179 to get all the matches, which is frankly ridiculous and you shouldn't pay that for a month long competition

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zakharov posted:

When I said American I clearly meant the One and True Eastern Time Zone :colbert:
Yeah, I've fallen asleep during the second innings of the late games so far.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Platinum duck baby

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why is New Zealand playing again tonight?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Thank you!! Just in time to see that wicket!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

we've shared streaming sites in the thread before and never had an issue, dunno why the world cup would be any different

the canadian streaming service apparently costs CDN$179 to get all the matches, which is frankly ridiculous and you shouldn't pay that for a month long competition

So stealing is ok if you can't afford the thing you're stealing?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh hey, Jayasuriya is the deputy minister for postal services now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Lionel Richie posted:

Platinum duck baby

Never seen that before. Oh Windies.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

IceAgeComing posted:

tbh 29 of the first 6 isn't that bad: that's still five an over and this isn't a T20 so you can afford to not go into slogging mode from the start and play your way in a bit.

You're right, I've been subjected to too much Brendan McCullum as of late.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
The snicko they've been using for this tournament seems blurry and unhelpful.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

RideTheSpiral posted:

On the topic of India/Pakistan relations: they tend to get on really well in expat communities. I will be watching all the world cup with a load of Indians and Pakistanis and it will be great.

quote:

Cricket World Cup: Brawl erupts between India and Pakistan fans at Sydney RSL club

A Cricket World Cup match between India and Pakistan descended into violence when a fight broke out between about 40 fans at the Merrylands RSL on Sunday evening.

It was expected to be the biggest grudge match in the Cricket World Cup, and that animosity was on display among rival fans at the Merrylands RSL Club watching the showdown between India at Pakistan on Sunday night.

Four people were taken to hospital with a range of injuries after a wild brawl broke out between about 40 fans watching the match on a big screen at the club on Military Road about 9.30pm.

A NSW Police spokesman said a group of fans had gathered to watch the match, broadcast live from the Adelaide Oval, when tensions boiled over.

Chairs and tables were hurled across the room, and police confirmed one person was hit on the head by a glass that was thrown.

A witness said the brawl spilled out on to the street before police and paramedics arrived.

Police said three people were taken to Westmead Hospital and one was taken to Auburn Hospital with a range of injuries that were not life-threatening.

Police said the cause of the violence was not immediately known, and no arrests had been made.

Officers are expected to review CCTV footage of the brawl on Monday to determine if charges will be laid.

It was the first time India and Pakistan had faced off on the pitch in almost a year. Wars and wary politicians have preserved the rarity value of the fixture, which brings south Asia to a standstill.

About 1.3 billion people were expected to tune in to the match, with India enjoying a healthy World Cup dominance over Pakistan of late.

In Sunday night's match, Virat Kohli scored 107 to steer India to 7-300, while Pakistan suffered a middle-order collapse of 3-1 in reply, reaching a total of 224 all out in 47 overs.

India's 76-run win delivered the country a six-nil advantage over Pakistan in World Cup matches.

I don't disagree with your main point, but :laugh:
Must be the Australian influence, glassing someone over a cricket match

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

runoverbobby posted:

The snicko they've been using for this tournament seems blurry and unhelpful.

the graphics for this tournament are all poo poo

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Loving the stump mic picking up the Irish captain

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Lionel Richie posted:

Platinum duck baby

This was a diamond duck, no?

A platinum duck is first ball of the innings (so, basically Martin Guptill).

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Very solid fielding by Ireland so far.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Noxin of Shame posted:

This was a diamond duck, no?

A platinum duck is first ball of the innings (so, basically Martin Guptill).

Diamond duck is out for 0 without facing a ball, iirc?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Royal duck is first ball of an innings duck.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

the irish fan is here

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
His name is Larry

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Start smashing it or get out before I go to sleep Gayle ffs

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I've heard diamond, royal, and platinum duck used interchangeably for out first ball of the innings but I have only heard diamond duck used to describe out without facing a ball.

Windies need to get the gently caress on with it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

He's actually being foxed by George Dockrell's amazing spin bowling

haha 1.83 run rate over the last six overs, that's england level poo poo

e: why did that irish fan have a bible verse on a sign

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

zakharov posted:

Loving the stump mic picking up the Irish captain

Ha yeah, he's great!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

How many O'Briens does Ireland have?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Windies going to finish 120-2

zakharov posted:

How many O'Briens does Ireland have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Royal (first ball of the match) and golden are the only real ducks. Platinum and diamond are both kind of bogan and don't have universal definitions.

Run out without facing a ball is called "run out without facing a ball".