Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Charge HR is about 5 billion times better than the Jawbone UP24 I returned. Thanks for the recommendations, goons. This device is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The top right corner of my G Watch is getting dark. My watch is in great shape, I don't wear it when I go to the gym so it is never saturated in sweat, but it's just got a dark corner.

Anyone know what the gently caress?

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Are there any wrist-mount sensors that can compete with a chest strap for accuracy?

It seems like most of the new "wearable" watches treat monitoring heart rate like an afterthought, which I'm assuming is due to the lack of technology. I WOULD be a prime candidate for the LED sensors (pale skin with little hair), but I'm looking for accuracy and real time monitoring*...I think most wrist sensors just take average rates every few minutes.

My main form of cardio is skipping, so GPS is useless for my needs; a pedometer might be cool if it registered skips. Monitoring sleep cycles would be kind of neat but not a deal breaker.

I skip with a weight vest so I'm trying to avoid a chest strap if possible. I've had something akin to this in the past with great success, but I put it in a drawer a few years ago and new batteries won't bring it back to life. I feel I'm getting complacent with my cardio workouts and hoping targeting a heart rate might push me.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Reggie Died posted:

Are there any wrist-mount sensors that can compete with a chest strap for accuracy?

It seems like most of the new "wearable" watches treat monitoring heart rate like an afterthought, which I'm assuming is due to the lack of technology. I WOULD be a prime candidate for the LED sensors (pale skin with little hair), but I'm looking for accuracy and real time monitoring*...I think most wrist sensors just take average rates every few minutes.

My main form of cardio is skipping, so GPS is useless for my needs; a pedometer might be cool if it registered skips. Monitoring sleep cycles would be kind of neat but not a deal breaker.

I skip with a weight vest so I'm trying to avoid a chest strap if possible. I've had something akin to this in the past with great success, but I put it in a drawer a few years ago and new batteries won't bring it back to life. I feel I'm getting complacent with my cardio workouts and hoping targeting a heart rate might push me.

Not as accurate as a chest strap, but my Samsung Gear Neo 2 is sort of close. I used both the watch and my Garmin HRM while swimming; the watch updated about every second to every few seconds. And as for accuracy, the watch was usually within 5 BPS of the watch.

And for a nice bonus: hearing music underwater while swimming was a fun

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
If you're going to vary your exertion wildly, something like the Fitbit Charge HR struggles, but if you maintain the same exertion for about 20 seconds it catches up and is accurate.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
It's usually 30s/10s split, or 60s/20s split.

I'll look into the Fitbit Charge HR. Cheers

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reggie Died posted:

It's usually 30s/10s split, or 60s/20s split.

I'll look into the Fitbit Charge HR. Cheers

AT&T has 15% of Fitbits right now, it's generally hard to find anything Fitbit on sale.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Reggie Died posted:

My brother has a Mio Link wrist hr monitor that he really likes. They also have models with displays and more stand alone functionality.

http://www.mioglobal.com/en-uk/compare-mio-heart-rate-monitors.htm

Supradog fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 14, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Supradog posted:

My brother has a Mio Link wrist hr monitor that he really likes. They also have models with displays and more stand alone functionality.

[url]http://www.mioglobal.com/en-uk/compare-mio-heart-rate-monitors.htm

There's all these crazy wearables out there that most people have never heard of.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A friend of my mum wants "a thing to keep track of activity". That's literally the description I got since I wasn't there at the time. And because I'm "the techie guy" my mother kindly volunteered me to recommend a product (or a few options, maybe) because clearly I know about all technology.

With some prompting, I worked out that the requirements are:
  • Must be wrist worn.
  • Must be waterproof because she is a hairdresser by trade.
  • Will be used for walks, not jogging/running/handstands/gym/whatever.
  • Ideally would be a watch that she can wear all the time.
  • Tracks activity in terms of time or steps (ideally both), not interested in heart rate.
  • Sends all the data to her phone (no idea if it's Android or iOS) or the cloud or whatever.
I own a Moto 360 and the step/activity tracking is complete garbage. I love it for notifications and being-a-watch, but it's not a good activity monitor.

Any suggestions?

dmitri
Sep 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe the Withings Activite Pop? Should be released soon since there are reviews online, I guess. Haven't used it but it seems to fit most of her requirements.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Is there a wearables thread for vr headsets? I just picked up Google cardboard and need guidance.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dmitri posted:

Maybe the Withings Activite Pop? Should be released soon since there are reviews online, I guess. Haven't used it but it seems to fit most of her requirements.
Thanks, will check it out.

Also considering the Fitbit Charge (non-HR), any opinions on that?

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

Supradog posted:

http://www.mioglobal.com/en-uk/compare-mio-heart-rate-monitors.htm

Thanks for this. After reading/watching a few reviews, I think the FUSE is the one I'll be going with.

Any suggestions for a good App to pair with it? Both for heads up HR display (I work out with "Seconds" on my iPad, but my iPhone is right there) and for tracking data post workout?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

Also considering the Fitbit Charge (non-HR), any opinions on that?

Yes, it's stupid, don't buy it, it should not exist, get the Flex or the Charge HR.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Three Olives posted:

Yes, it's stupid, don't buy it, it should not exist, get the Flex or the Charge HR.

Is the HR monitor on the Charge accurate enough to warrant the $50 price increase? I find my chest strap monitor really uncomfortable.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Super Dude posted:

Is the HR monitor on the Charge accurate enough to warrant the $50 price increase? I find my chest strap monitor really uncomfortable.

In my experience yes, it doesn't seem to work well on some people but it works great on me for running. There is only like a $20 price difference between the Charge HR and Charge and in in addition to HR the device is slightly smaller and has a much better clasp than the Charge.

Do not buy the Charge, if you want the display just spring spend the extra $20, otherwise get the Flex.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

MC Hawking posted:

Is there a wearables thread for vr headsets? I just picked up Google cardboard and need guidance.

Created for things like 3D monitors, but discussion has shifted to VR after Oculus got going. Probably time for a new thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500989

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
I'm seeing a lot of love for the Charge HR. I find that it tracks my activity, sleep, and heart-rate very well but after a month with mine, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Using the advertised features at their default settings, I'm unable to get more than 24 hours out of one charge. I use the major advertised features: heart-rate monitoring (set to auto), activity tracking, sleep tracking, and a single silent alarm. I am not using the Caller ID or the Wireless (Bluetooth) Sync feature with my phone. However, I was syncing it to my PC once or twice per day. I had fallen into the habit of simply charging the device daily while I was in the shower or doing the dishes, etc. but found that the device wouldn't even make it that far during the day, often dying somewhere between work, the gym, and home or in the middle of the night. There are a lot of users reporting similar battery woes on their support forums and the advice is to scale back your usage of the device, which is disappointing. I could have a defective unit or unrealistic expectations but I'd just figure that I'd throw my 2 cents out there.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I'm seeing a lot of love for the Charge HR. I find that it tracks my activity, sleep, and heart-rate very well but after a month with mine, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Using the advertised features at their default settings, I'm unable to get more than 24 hours out of one charge. I use the major advertised features: heart-rate monitoring (set to auto), activity tracking, sleep tracking, and a single silent alarm. I am not using the Caller ID or the Wireless (Bluetooth) Sync feature with my phone. However, I was syncing it to my PC once or twice per day. I had fallen into the habit of simply charging the device daily while I was in the shower or doing the dishes, etc. but found that the device wouldn't even make it that far during the day, often dying somewhere between work, the gym, and home or in the middle of the night. There are a lot of users reporting similar battery woes on their support forums and the advice is to scale back your usage of the device, which is disappointing. I could have a defective unit or unrealistic expectations but I'd just figure that I'd throw my 2 cents out there.

It's defective, I've had the Charge HR since before Christmas, I get at least 5 days with HR tracking, sleep tracking and at least a 30 minute workout track per day (It changes HR tracking from a 1 min average to logging by the second.)

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Tunga posted:

Any suggestions?

In terms of availability/support its best to narrow it down to a choice between a Fitbit device and a Jawbone device.

An important constraint you missed is "has a companion app with a suitable interaction model for intended use". In this case that's Jawbone UP app hands down. The problem with other leading tracker apps is that they assume a fair bit of self-direction on the part of the user so more casual users quickly fall into a "so now what?" pitfall which they never climb out of.

UP is positioned more like an assistant and does stuff like pro-actively explaining trends, pulling up relevant health facts, suggesting step/sleep goals. Closest analogue I can think of is "the Google Now of fitness". It's pretty much a perfect fit for the "give me something that will make walking more fun" that's she's probably really asking for. (On the flip side, UP's opinionated display/lack of options are exactly what make those devices a bad choice if you need augmented gym stats/are a quantified self junkie). From there UP24 would be the most literal interpretation of the rest of those constraints, except it's not a watch (has no display at all). Are you sure it has to be wrist bound? Women have an advantage in that they can clip stuff to bra straps, so the UP Move could work too and would have the advantage of not needing a charge every 2 weeks.

Regardless if her phone is an iPhone/has a step counter you could suggest she try out the Fitbit & UP apps ahead of time, then pick a tracker which matches the app she prefers. That would shift the burden of choice to her.

Three Olives posted:

Three Olives posted:

There is only like a $20 price difference between the Charge HR and Charge and in in addition to HR the device is slightly smaller and has a much better clasp than the Charge.

Do not buy the Charge, if you want the display just spring spend the extra $20, otherwise get the Flex.

The Charge is rated at 2-5 days more battery life than the Charge HR and Aria, so in Tunga's case where the person doesn't value heart rate it seemingly makes more sense to pay less and optimize for battery. I guess it depends how bad the worse clasp is (you seem to have first hand experience).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Point taken though she literally won't use the heart rate stuff so it's a debatable even at £20.

It turns out she doesn't actually need it to be a watch, she just meant "goes on my wrist and can be worm permanently, like a watch". So the Flex looks perfect for her. Thanks.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 16, 2015

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Reggie Died posted:

Thanks for this. After reading/watching a few reviews, I think the FUSE is the one I'll be going with.

Any suggestions for a good App to pair with it? Both for heads up HR display (I work out with "Seconds" on my iPad, but my iPhone is right there) and for tracking data post workout?

It really depends on what you want to use the app for. Endomondo is pretty great I hear but that and most training apps with more features has gone monthly sub.

Personally I use a lesser known app called Sportstracklive that I really like, but it looks like it's only for android.

I wanted a tracker app for HR, gps and both travel logging or training logging.
You can define new categories and that category don't interfere with others categories stats.
I use it to log motorcycle rides or I made a category specifically for mushroom hunting so I could track where I actually found mushrooms.

Here is a track i did this weekend with some leisurely paced cross country skiing(click for big):

I really like the live tracking bit for motorcycle rides, I've got family set up as friend in the app so they'll get a mail with a live tracker link so they don't have to be worried that anything happened If i'm out riding or are late.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

Supradog posted:

It really depends on what you want to use the app for.

Nothing as complicated as your set up! Basically, I want to stand up my iPhone somewhere and have it show my HR in big visible numbers (while skipping). Would be nice to compare HR levels from work out to work out too.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Karki posted:

Created for things like 3D monitors, but discussion has shifted to VR after Oculus got going. Probably time for a new thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500989

I found that thanks to the updated search engine (thanks admins!) but wasn't sure. Hell of a lot of back-jabber. Maybe it's time to contact the OP and mods and coordinate on a new one?

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

It's defective, I've had the Charge HR since before Christmas, I get at least 5 days with HR tracking, sleep tracking and at least a 30 minute workout track per day (It changes HR tracking from a 1 min average to logging by the second.)

Seconding this, my Charge HR also lasts 4-5 days with similar usage.

I've never actually run the battery to 0%, I've found that it lasts at least 6 hours after it starts to give the low battery warning.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Reggie Died posted:

Nothing as complicated as your set up! Basically, I want to stand up my iPhone somewhere and have it show my HR in big visible numbers (while skipping). Would be nice to compare HR levels from work out to work out too.

I would just try the free version of endomondo and strava see which one you prefer. Both has those features.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
First new Wear from MWC, LG Urbane, same specs from the R but they are hinting at a higher price:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

That chunk of bezel between the watch face and the band lugs still seems to make the watch "taller" and kind of weird looking.

If you look at this Rolex for example, it just seems to square off the circular area of the watch face. There's minimal additional space between the face and the band, beyond what is required to have a squared-off point for the band to meet the watch face.

LG's circular watches all add an additional 1/8" or so between the face and band lugs, and that looks kind of funny to me.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

rantAK posted:

Seconding this, my Charge HR also lasts 4-5 days with similar usage.

I've never actually run the battery to 0%, I've found that it lasts at least 6 hours after it starts to give the low battery warning.

Weird. After one day of use, mine was down to medium (I dunno how accurate the battery meter is in the app, but it looked like 1/2). It looked like all day sync was on, is that a big impact on the battery life?

I'm honestly not sure if I'll keep the Charge HR or not, it's not really any comfier than my old Microsoft Band was, has less features and seems to be getting pretty similar battery life. If only I could actually find a replacement Microsoft band somewhere. :(

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Weird. After one day of use, mine was down to medium (I dunno how accurate the battery meter is in the app, but it looked like 1/2). It looked like all day sync was on, is that a big impact on the battery life?

No, the battery level in the app is basically meaningless. When it tells you to charge it put it on the charger within the next, I dunno, 12 hours. We went over this a few pages ago, ignore anything a Fitbit tells you about battery besides fully charged and you need to plug it in.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

Pebble updated its website this morning to tease a new model of its popular smartwatch. The announcement is scheduled for 10 AM on Tuesday next week, but Pebble has not specified what exactly is launching. However, multiple sources tell us that a major update to both the Pebble’s hardware and software have been in the works and that these changes could be ready to debut next week. The new watch is said to (finally) gain a slightly wider, color, e-paper-like display that will be encased in an overall thinner design. The screen will still not be touch like the Apple Watch…

While thinner and brighter, the new watch will still include battery life specifications in line with the current models. The new hardware in development also includes a microphone, which could bolster a new series of apps by third-party developers for the Pebble platform. Heart rate monitor features based on sensors are on the long-term Pebble roadmap, but Pebble’s limited resources will prevent those features from launching anytime soon. The new hardware will run a brand-new version of the Pebble watch operating system, which has been redesigned from the ground-up to be “dramatically different” by the team behind webOS.

Of course, it’s possible that Tuesday’s announcement does not revolve around the aforementioned hardware and software upgrades, but these should still be expected at some point in the near-future.

Uh, yeah, I would be all over this, I still switch back and forth between my Pebble and Wear.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Anyone else just get the update for Wear 5.0.2?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/19/android-wear-5-0-2-update-starts-rolling-google-fit-fixes-tow/

I'd like to say my GWR is a bit speedier but it was no slouch anyway. Literally just updated an hour ago though so not sure if these "fixes" for Google Fit integration are noticeable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm honestly not sure if I'll keep the Charge HR or not, it's not really any comfier than my old Microsoft Band was, has less features and seems to be getting pretty similar battery life. If only I could actually find a replacement Microsoft band somewhere. :(

My HR lasts about 6 days. I never look at the battery meter. I just get an email when it says it needs to be charged.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Regarding this (that a bunch of people replied to, thanks again):

Tunga posted:

A friend of my mum wants "a thing to keep track of activity".
In the end I suggested the Fitbit Flex. The UP24 was unfortunately not a good option because it can't be submerged. She took my advice by going out and purchasing...a Fitbit Charge! She obviously didn't read what we sent her, saw the word Fitbit, and bought the first thing that was vaguely near the same price. Yes, that's how products work, well done.

A few days later she was complaining that she couldn't see any useful information on the band and the phone/computer part was too complicated. I'm trying to distance myself from this purchase as much as possible because I have no intention of playing tech support for this thing so I just suggested she takes it back if she doesn't like it but her complaints are going to be the same on any device unless she spends a bunch more money for something with a screen and even then I imagine she'd still struggle with the technical side of how it actually works.

So, yeah, that went well!

In other news, I bought my Mum a Fitbit Zip for her birthday. She used to have a mechanical pedometer years ago that we got free with Walkers Crisps (I think) but it broke after a while. I had no idea that Fitbit made a little clip-on pedometer until I was on the site (because of the above). She is excited about keeping a basic record of her steps/distance so I'm hoping it's fairly easy to use and close to zero maintenance beyond "clip it on". We'll be setting it up tonight.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Ugh, left my watch at home and now every time my phone chimes I'm waiting for my wrist to vibrate and I instinctively look down. :(

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I'm seeing some lack luster battery life with my charge hr. Time to email support

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Uh, yeah, I would be all over this, I still switch back and forth between my Pebble and Wear.

Hell yes.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Tunga posted:

In other news, I bought my Mum a Fitbit Zip for her birthday. She used to have a mechanical pedometer years ago that we got free with Walkers Crisps (I think) but it broke after a while. I had no idea that Fitbit made a little clip-on pedometer until I was on the site (because of the above). She is excited about keeping a basic record of her steps/distance so I'm hoping it's fairly easy to use and close to zero maintenance beyond "clip it on". We'll be setting it up tonight.

My wife got the regular Fitbit, and I got a Fitbit Zip, as I already have watch and bracelet I wear. Really the only thing it doesn't do is the sleep monitoring, and my only complaint is that the clippy part is REALLY snug. I started just tossing it in my pocket rather than clipping it because it's a tight fit. Overall, pretty great and is essentially no maintenance. I've only had it about two weeks, so I don't have a good sense of how long that battery lasts.

And holy poo poo my wife walks/paces a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I still use a Flex and the wife uses a Zip. The big difference as far as I can tell is that the Zip tracks flights of stairs (and does so poorly). It seems to work just fine...probably even better than a wrist mounted pedometer since it has less noisy data to work with.