Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I had 8 smelly bushes before I even knew what they were. It was just like "hey shiny thing!" They have a similar shiny effect to the upgrade tokens except it's red/purple instead of green, so they're pretty easy to spot. Some of them are a right bastard to get to though. Had to use kangaroo pickups for one of them.

E:

Stentorian Hoot posted:

I think Nobby said the tokens spawn based off what chapter you're in and how many tokens you already have. If you're running low it will spawn them like crazy.

Best bit of information ever. Used up all my tokens before a race on chapter 9, found 12 tokens in on race.

So I guess the more tokens you use, the more you get. No reason at all to save them up.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I went into a race in chapter 11 (I think) without any tokens and ended up getting 41 tokens in that race. :stare:

Got to upgrade a ton of poo poo afterwards.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
I found a smelly bush but I have no idea what the hell it does, other than make me laugh.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I finally managed to skewer a ped! (got the "Skewered!" bonus and everything)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Peds Shown on Map does exist! Found one on the ice level, on the broken ice at the very south of the map where the penguins are.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Holy poo poo people playing this online are weird. It seems to be wall-to-wall dudes driving that hearse, and all getting super mad if you actually crash into each other or use powerups on them. I can't really imagine what sort of person buys Carmageddon expecting a serious racing simulator.

ALSO if they do not bring back the Hick Pickup & that one Stuka car from Carmageddon 2 I will cry real tears.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 16, 2015

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I loved this game even in the super creaky alpha, but I was putting off playing it until it had some more work done on it. Given this thread's reception to the latest update, my interest was piqued enough until I thought, gently caress it, why not?

I've downloaded it again and played a few hours and the people who have posted that it feels like a new game aren't wrong. Man, they've really gotten down to business! Lots of new stuff to see and an unprecedented amount of additional vehicles now up and running. I love the additional skins for the vehicles! If there's a car you like the design of but hate the paint scheme for it's practically a non-issue to change the colour scheme to something more your liking. The game definetely feels like some world-class Caramgeddon fun and the music works well enough for the game.

Once they really get the optimisation down tack I can see this game taking up as much time as the other games in this series. I love the super cartoony vehicles and the handling feels great, it's the chaotic Carmageddon handling with a bit more controlability. It runs like a pig in molasses on my PC but that'll be ironed out, I'm sure. Well done to the lads and ladies at Stainless!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Songbearer posted:

I loved this game even in the super creaky alpha, but I was putting off playing it until it had some more work done on it. Given this thread's reception to the latest update, my interest was piqued enough until I thought, gently caress it, why not?

I've downloaded it again and played a few hours and the people who have posted that it feels like a new game aren't wrong. Man, they've really gotten down to business! Lots of new stuff to see and an unprecedented amount of additional vehicles now up and running. I love the additional skins for the vehicles! If there's a car you like the design of but hate the paint scheme for it's practically a non-issue to change the colour scheme to something more your liking. The game definetely feels like some world-class Caramgeddon fun and the music works well enough for the game.

Once they really get the optimisation down tack I can see this game taking up as much time as the other games in this series. I love the super cartoony vehicles and the handling feels great, it's the chaotic Carmageddon handling with a bit more controlability. It runs like a pig in molasses on my PC but that'll be ironed out, I'm sure. Well done to the lads and ladies at Stainless!

I agree. Once I was able to get it running (see previous page), I've had very little issue outside of performance and keybinds resetting. It feels like a feature-complete beta that needs finishing, but there's definitely a lot of game here. As for performance, if you're on nVidia, be sure to install the Feb 10 drivers as those showed a remarkable improvement for me even on a 670.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I only just noticed this :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure the Magnachem and Beachside level with all the cows are also ones from Carma 1. I'm pretty sure a lot of them even have the exact same names for the lap layouts.

Kinda hope Carma 2 gets some love. Feels like a lot more of the game seems to pay tribute to Carma1. Would love to see the Airport level or Max's Junkyard.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I actually like the dubstep song.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure the Magnachem and Beachside level with all the cows are also ones from Carma 1. I'm pretty sure a lot of them even have the exact same names for the lap layouts.
Parts of those levels are definitely taken from the original and the layouts are generally similar, there's just more of everything and some stuff has been integrated from other levels (for example, Carma 1 doesn't have the coastal village in the countryside level, although there is a similar location in another map).

Driving through Maim Street in Reincarnation was pretty fantastic. I wasn't sure if it was the exact same layout until I saw that map comparison, but it all felt familiar right away. I particularly like how they even have the electro-bastard ray exactly where you found it in the original.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
As far as performance goes, I wish you could disable that instant-replay recorder. It seems to generate a lot of disk access while it's recording.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Game looks and plays great, but holy poo poo the load times.

I just built a beefy new computer with SSDs and I nearly forgot about load times until I just played this.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This is before I updated my graphics drivers, so the framerate is a little shaky, but I made a video with a few silly clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg70fio90xI

The last one is some good ol' classic Carmageddon physics :3:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anyone figured out what options have the biggest hit on performance yet? I could run farcry 4 on high, but this I can barely run on low it seems

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Skarsnik posted:

Anyone figured out what options have the biggest hit on performance yet? I could run farcry 4 on high, but this I can barely run on low it seems

Playing it in 600x800 helped a lot. It's also why I'm not recording gifs/video

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Honestly I think it's the physics which have the biggest impact and you can't really tweak that.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
My inner child gives a giant, poo poo-eating grin as unbridled comical sadism is unleashed upon my screen once more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYoucOKpZ4

Bliss

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Stentorian Hoot posted:

Well this game crashed so hard I saw what the blue screen of death looks like in windows 8.1

When I got back into the game it crashed again and a window popped up stating:

"Bugger: The game about crashing has crashed. Oh the irony."

I gotta hand it to the devs for having a good sense of humor.

Edit: It's now crashing consistently. Guess I'll have to sit this one out until there's a fix.

I got the same thing as well. Plays for a few minutes, crashes, and then crashes on start-up until the computer is restarted. Had any luck since you posted before?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Songbearer posted:

My inner child gives a giant, poo poo-eating grin as unbridled comical sadism is unleashed upon my screen once more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYoucOKpZ4

Bliss

:golfclap:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I hope they include cheats again. Tried some of the old ones from memory to see what would happen and nothing did.

LAPMYLOVEPUMP and IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT did nothing sadly :(

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I saw this thread, was happy, and bought this game, but it's unplayable on my system... I'm above the min specs but below the recommended (i5 @ 2.67 ghz) and even at 640x480 and minimum settings it just stutters too much. There are some bursts of okay framerate if not much is in view, but also seconds-long freezes. Disappointing... I hope they'll improve performance further so I won't have wasted my money.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Entropist posted:

I saw this thread, was happy, and bought this game, but it's unplayable on my system... I'm above the min specs but below the recommended (i5 @ 2.67 ghz) and even at 640x480 and minimum settings it just stutters too much. There are some bursts of okay framerate if not much is in view, but also seconds-long freezes. Disappointing... I hope they'll improve performance further so I won't have wasted my money.

Anything 640x480 and under doesn't use yout gpu at all.

But still, its still not near the optimization phase yet. It'll get better. Also make sure vsync is off.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Pyromancer posted:

Except Suppressor APC, that one was legit if you could wreck it when you meet it.

I felt like such a badass when, while driving one of the smaller cars I pushed that fucker off a skyscraper with my front bumper touching it all the way down, sandwiching it between the cement and me. It made the rest of the game hilariously easy. The fact I managed to take it down without using The Plow was a major point of pride.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

How come after 18(?) years slow motion replays is still something they haven't been able to grasp? Unless I'm missing something (no jumping frame by frame is not slowmotion).

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
is anyone playing right now? what is the goon carma group?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

is anyone playing right now? what is the goon carma group?
Carmagoon Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/carmagoon

Skarsnik posted:

Ambient occlusion and vehicle reflections seem to be the biggest performance hogs. I also turned off skidmarks, which were glitching out pretty badly and also seem to eat a decent amount of performance.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 17, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I keep forgetting to ask, does anyone else have issues with remapped keys not being saved when you exit the game? Every time I start the game I have the change the controls back.

E: I did a thing -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iveek6tVvnU

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 17, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

At first I thought the video was called that because the first guy falls forward onto his dick and blood shoots out.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah there's a reason the video starts there :v:

Also, I just wrecked the Subpressor legit using Towmeister and a shitload of powerups, and it didn't unlock :(

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Is it just me or are the tyres made of some form of perpetually suppurating KY jelly causing even the slightest weave to turn into a spin?

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

CitrusFrog posted:

Is it just me or are the tyres made of some form of perpetually suppurating KY jelly causing even the slightest weave to turn into a spin?

Yeah, everything is super slidey in this game. For most of the cars it isn't too bad but the traction of most vehicles don't keep up with their engine power later in the game meaning some become LESS controllable after upgrading.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Reincarnation's handling actually feels a lot tighter compared to older games in the series... But that doesn't stop you being completely right :v:

Just remind yourself that these cars weren't made for racing: They were designed for 5-star levels of collateral damage.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Know what car has hilarious handling? Siamese Dream. I was all ready to strap into this loving rocket car with no steerability whatsoever and make an intimate acquaintance with whatever was in a direct straight line from the starting line, but actually it also has poo poo all for grip and you can just use the power to steer it in hilarious huge drifts which is totally awesome. And it goes like poo poo off a shovel to boot. Way more controllable than I envisaged.

The Rocket car with literally no steerability is actually Vlad's Annihilator. gently caress that thing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh good, its not just me. Some of the off-roady areas are just getting annoying as poo poo because I slide everywhere. Doesn't help Screwie Lewie's car loses wheels like nobody's business.

Love that I've already run into some classic carma shenanigans: Car deformation loving up and having some razor thin thing jutting out really far from a car so that it gets caught up on things and enemy cars getting smashed up so bad they can't drive straight (and floor it, becoming a huge pain in the rear end to hit.)

Also does the opponent ejaculator (that's what it's called right, I'm not crazy, am i?) even do anything but shoot the driver out? It doesn't seem to have any actual effect.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Oxyclean posted:

Also does the opponent ejaculator (that's what it's called right, I'm not crazy, am i?) even do anything but shoot the driver out? It doesn't seem to have any actual effect.

Ayep, that's all it does. Smash Thier Bitch up seems similarly useless, shattering your opponent's glass and bumping them slightly, but I've still managed to wreck someone with it :v:

I thought Stretch Goal Ray had no other purpose but fun, but holy poo poo it can do s lot of damage very quickly. Use all three charges of it in one go on an enemy and thier car will be stretched so dramatically it will gently caress thier internals up badly and probably total them in the process. Looks hilarious on the wreck gallery too!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Songbearer posted:

Just remind yourself that these cars weren't made for racing: They were designed for 5-star levels of collateral damage.

I don't think they were even built for that. I went head-on with that BttF looking car in the first level (I'm still not making any money to get off this map), and I explode, he drives on like he hit a speed bump. I'm spending all my money on me being wasted by backing up into a building, and it takes me 5 minutes to destroy Val.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Made a quick video showing off the only reason why Opponent Ejact. exists. It'd be nice if the opponent's vehicle temporarily spiraled out of control if you murder the driver after using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f7dfbiNbgo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

IUG posted:

I don't think they were even built for that. I went head-on with that BttF looking car in the first level (I'm still not making any money to get off this map), and I explode, he drives on like he hit a speed bump. I'm spending all my money on me being wasted by backing up into a building, and it takes me 5 minutes to destroy Val.

Bttf? If you're trying to fight the cops at any point they will simply murder the poo poo out of you. Cops are a force of nature in this game and should be treated as such.

• Locked thread