Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Memento posted:

It's cheaper to manufacture, and when

they stop caring about longevity.

Especially when a lot of people are going to own the car for 5 years as a lease agreement, trade it in for the next one, it passes to someone who can't afford a new car, then they don't spend the money on it to fix it because it's a million loving dollars to do what should be a seventeen minute job, so the car breaks down completely after another 5 years and the whole cycle begins again, feeding off itself all the while. If the cars were easier to fix, then the second owner would be more likely to spend money on it to keep it going, which would mean less demand for 5-year-lease trade-ins, which means the market for them suffers, which means you have less demand for them new because "Oh the resale value on those is poo poo, let's spend our corporate fleet monies on the new Oftenbreak POS-spec from Chrysler/Ford/Mazda/whoever to get a better return at the end".

circle_of_life.gif

Truth, its hard enough to convince people to buy brakes these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

PitViper posted:

a power steering pressure line in one, and it was a royal pain in the dick.

Heh. Hey buddy, the bolt on the top rear of the intake says hello! :bigtran:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've had to do that pipe too.

gently caress that bolt. gently caress it to hell. I expect that sort of nonsense on a Korean car, but not from glorious nippon.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Worst Nissan poo poo I've ever seen was manifold gaskets on a Quest, same engine but tucked like a foot farther back under the dash. The lead tech at my shop was an absolute stoic, no matter how many wrong parts or tight spaces got in his way he would never really get worked up over anything.

About 2 days worth of trying to finagle wrenches between the immovable firewall/cowl and the manifold itself, he was swearing up a storm; and then he got to reassemble it from chaos when the service manager came in on his (the tech) off day, helped lay the new gaskets in place (after all the hard work was done), and moved all the fasteners around from how they had been organized.

Only time I've ever seen a piece of 2"-by-2-foot cheater pipe go sailing across the shop floor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Worst Nissan poo poo I've ever seen was manifold gaskets on a Quest, same engine but tucked like a foot farther back under the dash. The lead tech at my shop was an absolute stoic, no matter how many wrong parts or tight spaces got in his way he would never really get worked up over anything.

About 2 days worth of trying to finagle wrenches between the immovable firewall/cowl and the manifold itself, he was swearing up a storm; and then he got to reassemble it from chaos when the service manager came in on his (the tech) off day, helped lay the new gaskets in place (after all the hard work was done), and moved all the fasteners around from how they had been organized.

Only time I've ever seen a piece of 2"-by-2-foot cheater pipe go sailing across the shop floor.

Holy poo poo this is enraging when it happens. Why did you do that? Why? What did you achieve beyond making things take longer and be more difficult?

ipokesnails
May 28, 2007

A few years ago I bought my first car, a 1982 RX7, for $600. I didn't know anything about cars, it was cool so I bought it without looking at much.

First bad sign, the tires

Next, the muffler fell off

The car didn't sound any different after it fell off though, and most of the exhaust noise was coming from this great patch job next to the transmission anyway

Four months later I hopped in to drive to work, but the engine suddenly felt like it had less than half the power... I was too poor to bring it to a shop, so I just revved higher and put up with it.
Using a compression tester I got maybe 70-100psi from the front rotor, and 0 in the rear, and the exhaust definitely smelled like unburned fuel. I continued driving for another few months everywhere at 4000-6000rpm and spending nearly 4x as much on fuel until I managed to get another car.

It turns out one of the apex seals on the rear rotor had broken loose
Here's a video of a 12a idling and revving on one rotor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv11-4QhP-0

A top speed test. Listen for the gunshots every time I let off the gas at high rpm
This is with the pedal to the floor on a fairly flat road.. If I shifted into 4th gear, it would decelerate and top out around 90km/h
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjVqzqVeoGc

I removed the engine but haven't got the flywheel nut off yet, so I took a video of the rotor through the exhaust ports
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIhRJdOp2jk

And a bonus picture of the driveshaft that was causing scary vibration from 40-60km/h, and ungodly vibration above 100km/h

(I'm driving a much less dangerous car now and can afford to maintain it)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ipokesnails posted:

It turns out one of the apex seals on the rear rotor had broken loose
rotary_ownership.txt

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

rotary_ownership.txt

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Whats worse is when you start the job. Lay the bolts in appropriate containers. Then get pulled off the job and the gently caress who does it next spills all those containers of bolts. Which is your fault for putting them there. Then you have to get the bolts from the dealer because "LOL ITS GOT A SHOULDER AND NO OTHER USED BOLTS IN THE WHOLE loving SHOP FIT" What im saying is when you start pulling the injectors on a powerstroke you should finish it. Not get pulled off to do an oil change....:byodood:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

SouthsideSaint posted:

Whats worse is when you start the job. Lay the bolts in appropriate containers. Then get pulled off the job and the gently caress who does it next spills all those containers of bolts. Which is your fault for putting them there. Then you have to get the bolts from the dealer because "LOL ITS GOT A SHOULDER AND NO OTHER USED BOLTS IN THE WHOLE loving SHOP FIT" What im saying is when you start pulling the injectors on a powerstroke you should finish it. Not get pulled off to do an oil change....:byodood:

Horrible Mechanic Failures.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Collateral Damage posted:

rotary_ownership.txt

I feel like I'm missing out. I had o ring/corrosion failure for the water cooling jackets - equivalent of a head gasket fail; oil control ring failure (huge amounts of smoke on start up but when warm ran fine and no power loss), and side seal failure.
Most failures (for n/a and people I knew or myself) seemed just to be wear and age, not apex seals destructing.
I only personally know 2 people that blew apex seals - and they were rally thrashing it all day every day, maybe had a bad oil metering pump.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Oh god I got so close to raging at people a few times doing formula student. Somebody picked up all the caliper bleed screws one day and wandered off with them while we were trying to get the brakes fitted and bled. When questioned they thought they were for "something else". Where else were you going to put them they were the only non-metric things on the entire car. :negative:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
People who move bolts around on a mechanic are probably the same assholes who think it's alright to watch you type your password and/or are close talkers.

I might be weird though, because I generally compare all the similar-purpose/style bolts I take out and figure out WHY each one is longer or shorter than the others, if nothing else it makes it easier to remember which goes where.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

People who move bolts around on a mechanic are probably the same assholes who think it's alright to watch you type your password and/or are close talkers.

I might be weird though, because I generally compare all the similar-purpose/style bolts I take out and figure out WHY each one is longer or shorter than the others, if nothing else it makes it easier to remember which goes where.

Japanese cars are good this way because the bolts tend to have 'themes' so like the bellhousing bolts will all be one design and colour but different lengths, all the engine mount bolts will be a different design and colour and so on so you can usually identify which area uses which bolts.

European brands tackle this by having extremely specific and obscure bolts for everything.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Left Ventricle posted:

You have to pull the engine for a surprising number of maintenance items these days, like the water pump and timing belt...why engineer something like that?

lazy_engineers.txt

ipokesnails
May 28, 2007

I wish, the poor engine was so hungry it ate the apex seals even without a turbo.
It really was still quite fun to drive on half the engine.

This is more of a mechanic failure, but these pictures are from when I worked at a fish hatchery 20Km up a logging road, relying on generator power. We had 2 main generators, a 120KW and a 150KW both powered by John Deere diesels. We would mostly run on the 150KW, switching to the other to check/change the oil, or for repairs.

One of my jobs each day was to check the oil and coolant levels, and to let the mechanic know if anything was going wrong. We :airquote:didn't have time:airquote: to let them warm up, and once started would switch the load to the new generator within seconds.
The engines chewed through 4 or 5 alternators a year, and every now and then the O-ring on the compressor would start to slide out. I would take a picture, leave a note and tell the mechanic.

Once it popped out completely, their answer was to switch to the second generator and only run on the first to do the daily oil checks. This is after those 5 minutes.

It would continue this way until they did an oil change and the second engine overheated and shut off, and we would be left in emergency status with no power for an hour while they finally fixed everything.

ipokesnails fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 18, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:psyduck: what the gently caress. How can someone running a (I assume) multi-million-dollar business think it's a good idea to run the generator motors till they overheat?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

sharkytm posted:

In response to my broken rod in my snow blower, I replaced the clapped out Tecumseh with a 420cc Predator from HF. Couldn't find a belt for the drive sheave, but I got one for the blower. A foot of snow, pushing the machine, and my driveway is clear. Pictures in the morning...

Replaced with Predator 13HP:

420CC:

Heat/snow shield:

There wasn't a proper belt in all of southeastern mass, so I used it by pushing it around for the last storm. The new belt arrived today from Amazon, along with some 3/8" rod to relocate the chute deflector. The new engine shoots snow over the telephone lines, and purrs like a kitten.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

sharkytm posted:

There wasn't a proper belt in all of southeastern mass, so I used it by pushing it around for the last storm. The new belt arrived today from Amazon, along with some 3/8" rod to relocate the chute deflector. The new engine shoots snow over the telephone lines, and purrs like a kitten.

For some reason part of my brain failed to interpret this the normal way and pictured your neighbor's phone ringing, the pick it up, and they get loving blasted through the earpiece by a torrent of snow.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You're are to snowblowers what Clark Griswold was to twinkle lights. I imagine your face looked something like this the first time you fired that fucker up.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sharkytm posted:

Replaced with Predator 13HP:

420CC:

Heat/snow shield:

Couldn't get the 22 HP two-cylinder to fit? :getin:

ipokesnails
May 28, 2007

Slavvy posted:

:psyduck: what the gently caress. How can someone running a (I assume) multi-million-dollar business think it's a good idea to run the generator motors till they overheat?

Especially when the fix is so simple. They always said they were too busy to do it.
I heard some explosions coming from the shop one day and ran down with a fire extinguisher to find the mechanic and the welder bursting water bottles by taping them off on the shop air hoses. The welder is the company President's son though..

This loose strap was hissing and leaking a bit of oil for close to a month. They gave me poo poo when I tried to grab a socket wrench to tighten it myself, but finally did it themselves after that.

There certainly is a lot of money at stake, the company was sold for $5.2 million (not including the value of the fish, $13 million is the total number everyone kept mentioning but I'm not certain)

You would think that might mean proper equipment and maintenance, but the new generators they bought as replacements were abysmal.

My facts may not be 100%, but this is what the mechanics complained about for the last year.
Apparently the generators, made by AltaStream, are some kind of diesel to propane conversions made from Chinese knockoff Cummins parts.
They burned 2 litres of oil per day.
A week after the first two were delivered, one of the intakes exploded in the middle of the night. The caretaker said it sound like a quarter stick of dynamite.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the metal pieces, but they were ballooned out cartoon style.
This happened 5 times to 3 different generators over a year, the most common explanation I heard was something about the propane inlet being before the turbo.

And AltaStream's solution to a propane line rubbing against the oil reservoir was to zap strap a rubber hose between the two pieces.

Just last month they finally started talking about scrapping the new generators for something more reliable.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

The Orange Mage posted:

For some reason part of my brain failed to interpret this the normal way and pictured your neighbor's phone ringing, the pick it up, and they get loving blasted through the earpiece by a torrent of snow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ipokesnails posted:

Generator Thangs

I can see how this would've gone down, too.

"One of these costs X, while a cummins or komatsu cost Xx2! And the sales rep said they're cummins equivalent so they're basically the exact same thing! You're just paying for the brand with those things anyway."

Now that they've turned out to be shitpiles:

"The sales guy swore they were just like a cummins, you can't blame me for that!"

Ahh, life.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

What is this from? It looks equal parts awful and fantastic. :allears:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
looks like Danger 5 which is downright hilarious and awesome

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Splizwarf posted:

What is this from? It looks equal parts awful and fantastic. :allears:

Danger 5 which is all those things and more

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

ipokesnails posted:

A few years ago I bought my first car, a 1982 RX7, for $600. I didn't know anything about cars, it was cool so I bought it without looking at much.

A top speed test. Listen for the gunshots every time I let off the gas at high rpm
This is with the pedal to the floor on a fairly flat road.. If I shifted into 4th gear, it would decelerate and top out around 90km/h
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjVqzqVeoGc

What's up with the oil pressure gauge not moving from zero the entire time?? :stonklol:

It's a broken gauge / sender, right?? You're not really beating the poo poo out of it with no oil pressure, right?

...right?

I mean I guess that motor's done anyways, but god drat

ipokesnails
May 28, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I can see how this would've gone down, too.

"One of these costs X, while a cummins or komatsu cost Xx2! And the sales rep said they're cummins equivalent so they're basically the exact same thing! You're just paying for the brand with those things anyway."
One of the mechanics mentioned a few times that had they bought equivalent John Deere diesels, which we know to be reliable (barring poor maintenance), it would have only been about 30% more.
They've already spent more than that 30% on mechanic wages and AltaStream service calls in one year.

Black88GTA posted:

What's up with the oil pressure gauge not moving from zero the entire time?? :stonklol:

It's a broken gauge / sender, right?? You're not really beating the poo poo out of it with no oil pressure, right?

...right?
I never did see that thing move... I had always wondered.

The engine was constantly leaking oil, and the remaining apex seals looked oily, so......maybe?

I still have the car and the engine sitting mostly disassembled, I could dig it out and test if you're curious enough :allears:

ipokesnails fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 19, 2015

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

ipokesnails posted:

Just last month they finally started talking about scrapping the new generators for something more reliable.

Until this post I was thinking "Hey, is that Conuma, near Campbell River?" They got new gensets last summer, too, but they're not knockoffs.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

ipokesnails posted:

One of the mechanics mentioned a few times that had they bought equivalent John Deere diesels, which we know to be reliable (barring poor maintenance), it would have only been about 30% more.
They've already spent more than that 30% on mechanic wages and AltaStream service calls in one year.

I never did see that thing move... I had always wondered.

The engine was constantly leaking oil, and the remaining apex seals looked oily, so......maybe?

I still have the car and the engine sitting mostly disassembled, I could dig it out and test if you're curious enough :allears:

Like I mentioned before, most apex seal failures were oil related, usually oil metering pump (unique to the rotary), but yeah, main oil pressure pump dying, well then poo poo is going to die, rotary or piston.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Not a mechanical failure but i think that it's funny enough.
My neighbour just made this:

With one of these:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Micr0chiP posted:

Not a mechanical failure but i think that it's funny enough.
My neighbour just made this:

With one of these:

I remember back in the 90s there was a ZX-10 special in Performance Bikes magazine with a custom lightweight clutch cover made from a Tefal frying pan. Sadly not obvious because the base had been ground flat and powdercoated.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Saga posted:

I remember back in the 90s there was a ZX-10 special in Performance Bikes magazine with a custom lightweight clutch cover made from a Tefal frying pan. Sadly not obvious because the base had been ground flat and powdercoated.

That's not uncommon when extra clearance is needed for a lock up clutch. Cut the bottom off a saucepan and weld it on. Often done when turbocharging a bike.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Saga posted:

How could they do this and not leave the Tefal rings on the base?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wipeout posted:

How could they do this and not leave the Tefal rings on the base?

This. I'd pay money for a Tefal clutch cover.

Also if it were the 90's it'd be a ZX9 :ssh:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Slavvy posted:

This. I'd pay money for a Tefal clutch cover.

Also if it were the 90's it'd be a ZX9 :ssh:

No, it was a special and in PB precisely because someone spent a fuckton of time and money on a twatting ZX-10 in something like 1997 instead of setting fire to it and buying a 6R on the insurance like any reasonable person.

Stinch, I had no idea that was actually a thing. I thought it was some sort of left-field special builder lunacy. The more you know...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

had a mini excavator for the last few days working on my new house doing trenching and now on my parents farm doing the same. So far its been an exercise in horrible underground service failure.. found the NBN conduit (Fortunately with no fiber) The sewer drop (300mm below surface, fortunately not used yet!), the main feed from the bore at my parents place, destructively found the pipe we were trenching towards to tap into, found the pipe going up from the dam and kinked the poly line.

Today theres potential of a phone line!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ferremit posted:

had a mini excavator for the last few days working on my new house doing trenching and now on my parents farm doing the same. So far its been an exercise in horrible underground service failure.. found the NBN conduit (Fortunately with no fiber) The sewer drop (300mm below surface, fortunately not used yet!), the main feed from the bore at my parents place, destructively found the pipe we were trenching towards to tap into, found the pipe going up from the dam and kinked the poly line.

Today theres potential of a phone line!

Do you not have Diggers Hotline or some equivalent where you live? Some service where they come and mark all that stuff out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saga posted:

No, it was a special and in PB precisely because someone spent a fuckton of time and money on a twatting ZX-10 in something like 1997 instead of setting fire to it and buying a 6R on the insurance like any reasonable person.

Stinch, I had no idea that was actually a thing. I thought it was some sort of left-field special builder lunacy. The more you know...

...but the zx-10 came out in 2004...?

Unless there's some other bike with the same moniker I'm not aware of.