Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

EccoRaven posted:

No gently caress you

oh snap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
All I'm really getting out of this whole back and forth is that Byers seems immensely townie. He's getting in far too deep. Ecco is trying to quiet it down, and I can't blame him as either town or scum.

I'm gonna go do my actual look at Gabriel now.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Glockenapfel posted:

##vote Asiina

Starting to get a "fake content" feel from the sidelines commenting, and I need to put my vote somewhere more productive before I sleep.

This is a bad vote.

Not just because it's me, but because it's using buzz words without explanation or example and then the idea of putting your vote somewhere productive on someone who has one vote against them.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Well, that didn't take long.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Seems like someone's given a lot of thought about how to handle a potentially scummy role flavor!

Oh no poor town we will never get anywhere today!! How are we supposed to lynch scum?! We might as well just give up

I want to see everybody say something before I jump on the first bandwagon of the game *immediately jumps on first bandwagon of the game to deflect suspicion*

This whole post is over enthusiastic and screams of a person trying to fit in.

Gab does it again here:

Gabriel Pope posted:

Oh please, Mr. Scum Font Expert, what the proper font for announcing your scum affiliation over PM is. I'm sure you have lots of experience from all the scum PMs you send. Because you're scum.

Way too on the nose.

Then he makes this post:

Gabriel Pope posted:

Squid has yet to make any good posts at all, which makes me suspect you're just opportunistically jumping on the hot new bandwagon now that people are backing off Squid.

After not making any "good posts" of his/her own. If you'll notice, Gab is still not really doing much of anything except throwing down a casual suspicion.

But don't worry! If you're looking for posting that begins with a relatively decent joke about my name... and then not much else, look no further than Gab's next post:

Gabriel Pope posted:

Chili's been a slow simmer that's just now picking up heat; the timing of your vote coincides with the Chili vote eclipsing former frontrunner Abyssal Squid.

Regardless, pointing out one weak post hardly qualifies as "blowing things out of proportion." You getting super defensive about it might, though.

Commentary. Plain and useless commentary which is punctuated by another tepid throwaway mention of some loose suspicion that ultimately goes nowhere.

But don't worry friends! Gab will be WATCHING people!

Gabriel Pope posted:

It seems pretty reasonable to me :shrug: Those posts are pretty bad and the rest of AnonymousNarcotics's posting is really low content, so I'm definitely watching him. I'm re-reading Asiina's posts but I'm not really seeing anything that jumps out at me.

So you can all rest well at night.

I could just end this here, but there's only two more posts, so let's have some confirmation bias for dessert:

Gabriel Pope posted:

It started because he did this:

And because he's been riding Rarity pretty hard. Other than that I'm not really seeing it.

More commentary. "Hey guys, I WATCHED this happen!"

And the cherry on top:

Gabriel Pope posted:

It sounds like it could go one way or the other on fakeclaims. I suspect the "clues to role" is the real motivation behind the warning, as I'm guessing town power roles have very obvious flavor.

Set-up speculation! Everyone's favorite helpful tool in finding scum.

So, to summarize:

Gab has

• Appeared overly enthusiastic and has awkward and troubling entrance posts
  • Only really spoken up about obvious thing in the thread, and even when he/she does, it's merely commentary.
  • Seems more intent on discussing consequences of other's players actions within the set up.
  • Never bothered to put down any sort of solid opinion.
  • Been WATCHING you all.

Right now, I'm more convinced on Gab than my other leads. I still like Rarity for a lynch, but she's a contingency now.

Ecco... I could go either way on. Though he drives me nanners, his presence will more likely benefit us now than hurt us. I'll save him for a rainy day.

##vote Gabriel Pope

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Actually coupled with this exchange earlier

Glockenapfel posted:

I'm not going to vote Rarity today because it's just too convenient to vote the one person who has claimed town flavor.

Asiina posted:

How do you know it's town flavour?

Glockenapfel posted:

Because who's stupid enough to throw out a not-town flavor claim?

I think this guy is scum.

But this is yet another guy who it's his first game, so won't vote today.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

How does any of that make him scum, Chili

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Chili posted:

Well, that didn't take long.

This whole post is over enthusiastic and screams of a person trying to fit in.

Gab does it again here:

Way too on the nose.

Then he makes this post:

After not making any "good posts" of his/her own. If you'll notice, Gab is still not really doing much of anything except throwing down a casual suspicion.

But don't worry! If you're looking for posting that begins with a relatively decent joke about my name... and then not much else, look no further than Gab's next post:

Commentary. Plain and useless commentary which is punctuated by another tepid throwaway mention of some loose suspicion that ultimately goes nowhere.

But don't worry friends! Gab will be WATCHING people!

So you can all rest well at night.

I could just end this here, but there's only two more posts, so let's have some confirmation bias for dessert:

More commentary. "Hey guys, I WATCHED this happen!"

And the cherry on top:

Set-up speculation! Everyone's favorite helpful tool in finding scum.

So, to summarize:

Gab has

• Only really spoken up about obvious thing in the thread, and even when he/she does, it's merely commentary.
  • Seems more intent on discussing consequences of other's players actions within the set up.
  • Been WATCHING you all.

Right now, I'm more convinced on Gab than my other leads. I still like Rarity for a lynch, but she's a contingency now.

Ecco... I could go either way on. Though he drives me nanners, his presence will more likely benefit us now than hurt us. I'll save him for a rainy day.

##vote Gabriel Pope

##vote Chili Wili

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

EccoRaven posted:

No gently caress you

Well that's just rude.

quote:

It's important to note that the way Byers is framing this isn't accurate. He's trying to make me sound like I believe fakeclaims are necessary in all flavor-heavy games.

The distinction isn't about whether the flavor is light or heavy, it's about whether the flavor matters. In games where it does, then fakeclaims are the easiest way to avoid problems with having bad guys have bad roles. That there's two factions encourages the existence of fakeclaims, since I as a townie don't know exactly who the scum factions are, but I would be genuinely surprised if the scum were just as in the dark.

It's important to note that the way Ecco is framing is this is scummy. She wants this to be, needs this to be, a setup argument. My point is that she knew because of her PMs that fakeclaims were in play, then tried to cover up that knowledge in later posts. That cover up occurred independent of posts in the thread. She saw her scumslip and made an active attempt to prevent it.

Epsilon Plus posted:

Are you incapable of reading a vote history? Abyssal Squid has had four people voting for him. I think the only people likely to be lynched, short a massive shift over by most of the thread, are those three. I'm not sure where you're getting this "adding more choices" thing, either. I feel like you're not actually reading my posts?

I'm attacking the question because it's a ridiculous thing to ask. Every single scum is going to lie to that question short of a few ridiculous niche cases that are not worth devoting text to. Why are you spending so much time

Squid had votes earlier, but lately there's been no mention of Squid and several people expressing interest in at least considering my Ecco case. And your earlier post made it clear that if I wouldn't vote Rarity or Chili, then I was not going to be involved in D1 because my Ecco case was dead. Squid is not in that scenario, and you've since inserted him for no discernible reason.

It is not. The point isn't because I expect you to say "yes, I'm totally scum"; the point is how you respond. You responded scummily. Think of it like a husband and a wife. Wife thinks husband is cheating. Wife says, "Husband, are you cheating?" Does she expect he to say "Yes?" Or is she looking at how he responds?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

How does any of that make him scum, Chili

Oy. OK, let's look at my summary:

Gab has

[*] Appeared overly enthusiastic and has awkward and troubling entrance posts

Awkard language at the entrance of a game, and trying too hard to fit in is what feeds my gut. Taking a closer look at Gab's post history makes him/her look like someone suffering from imposter syndrome.

[*] Only really spoken up about obvious thing in the thread, and even when he/she does, it's merely commentary.

I really don't think I should have to explain this one. But OK. Choosing to commentate primarily on objective factors within the game is a safe and happy place for scum to sit. Regardless of your alignment you can sit down and look at a setup and make reasonable, level headed comments. Town are interested in this, as much as they are finding scum. But for scum, it's a great place to hide.

[*] Seems more intent on discussing consequences of other's players actions within the set up.

This is basically me being redundant, see what I just wrote for why this is bad.

[*] Never bothered to put down any sort of solid opinion.

Again, if you're going to assume I'm correct on this, how is this not scummy? I ain't going further with this one.

[*] Been WATCHING you all.

My feeble attempt at winning everyone ever with a winning smile and a bit of humor to brighten up all of our dreary work-a-day lives.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Byers2142 posted:

Squid had votes earlier, but lately there's been no mention of Squid and several people expressing interest in at least considering my Ecco case. And your earlier post made it clear that if I wouldn't vote Rarity or Chili, then I was not going to be involved in D1 because my Ecco case was dead. Squid is not in that scenario, and you've since inserted him for no discernible reason.

He isn't being inserted. He was already inserted, previously! This is not a difficult concept. Do I have to restate my exact position every time I post?

This is ridiculous. It's not even funny.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Excellent they are all ignoring me I can say ANYTHING now muahahahaha!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That case is very bad, Chili.

That first post of his was a great bit of analysis and not awkward at all.

The rest has been part of the conversation.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Well it seems like the response to my case is not going over as well as I had planned. I still think it makes a lot of sense, and I'm standing by it. Taking a step back, I do think there are better lynches than me out there. There's a whole lot of folks who aren't bothering to put down opinions.

It may be prudent for someone to actually explain why they're voting me though. You know, in a way that allows me to have a back and forth? I'm cool getting lynched tonight, but if I've gotta go down, I'd at least like to engage with some people so when I go down, there's connections and such out there.

Having said all of that, I have a bunch of clients coming up and rehearsal starting at 6, so I've got about a solid hour left to post.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Chili posted:

All I'm really getting out of this whole back and forth is that Byers seems immensely townie. He's getting in far too deep. Ecco is trying to quiet it down, and I can't blame him as either town or scum.

I'm gonna go do my actual look at Gabriel now.

Again, I'm not getting how people make a town read on me. There are two scum teams; even if I am right about Ecco, I could still be scum. Unless the person making the call is on the other scum team, in which case yeah, if they don't think I'd bus Ecco like this and they know I'm not their scumbro that leaves town.

Chili and EP, I can see one of them as scum because of these town calls.

Chili posted:

Gab has

• Been WATCHING you all.

But I like this from Chili. It doesn't make him townier because, again, two scum teams.

CapitalistPig posted:

##vote Chili Wili

Cpig's made several no reason votes today, and is just sorta bouncing around. No sure how to read that.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

I don't see it, sorry. I'm not saying you're incorrect in your descriptions, but how does it make him scum? You even say in your biggest point against him, "town would do this too, but scum really like doing this!"

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CapitalistPig posted:

Excellent they are all ignoring me I can say ANYTHING now muahahahaha!

- The Byers Principle

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Again, this is all well and good. At this point, I'd rather not talking about the merits of my case and would enjoy the chance to defend myself a little bit. Normally, the best defense is to go out and find scum, but I don't see it working at this point.

Anyone? Come on? Hit me with something. Just because I'm putting out dumb cases, doesn't mean I'm such a scummy guy.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

He isn't being inserted. He was already inserted, previously! This is not a difficult concept. Do I have to restate my exact position every time I post?

This is ridiculous. It's not even funny.

I said: "I don't want to vote Rarity or Chili."

You said: "Then you're not going to be involved in D1, because that Ecco case sucks."

That's the exchange, and nowhere in there is Squid mentioned. Your post implies that it has to be Rarity, Chili, or Ecco, and it ain't gonna be Ecco, so if I don't vote Rarity or Chili then I'm not involved today. There's no option for Squid in that, but when I point out that limiting the choices like that is scummy you expand the choices. You didn't restate your position, you changed it.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

- The Byers Principle

It's not my fault you can't respond to my actual case and I won't let you turn it into a different, set-up driven argument.

Chili posted:

Again, this is all well and good. At this point, I'd rather not talking about the merits of my case and would enjoy the chance to defend myself a little bit. Normally, the best defense is to go out and find scum, but I don't see it working at this point.

Anyone? Come on? Hit me with something. Just because I'm putting out dumb cases, doesn't mean I'm such a scummy guy.

Here's all I got; I don't understand how a town player looks at me and goes, "Yep, that's clearly town play from Byers." I asked EP about it as well, and he ignored that point. I'm not even voting you for it, but it's something plainly stated you can respond to. Why do you think I'm town?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Chili posted:

Just because I'm putting out dumb cases, doesn't mean I'm such a scummy guy.
Unfortunately the people posting most today all don't think you're scum :toot:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Chili seems really earnest and genuine, so I don't think he's scum. It feels a bit forced but I think that's just because this is his first game in a while and he seems really excited to play, almost trying to speed the game up in the process (I.e. Validate a gut call on Pope)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Byers2142 posted:

Here's all I got; I don't understand how a town player looks at me and goes, "Yep, that's clearly town play from Byers." I asked EP about it as well, and he ignored that point. I'm not even voting you for it, but it's something plainly stated you can respond to. Why do you think I'm town?

It boils down to the fact that you're just really going down this crazy rabbit hole. I don't see the point you're trying to make, but I recognize that you're doing it in the pursuit of scumhunting.

You have just read very genuinely today.

EccoRaven posted:

Unfortunately the people posting most today all don't think you're scum :toot:

Well, that's nice at least.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

Chili seems really earnest and genuine, so I don't think he's scum. It feels a bit forced but I think that's just because this is his first game in a while and he seems really excited to play, almost trying to speed the game up in the process (I.e. Validate a gut call on Pope)

-yup

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Byers2142 posted:

It's not my fault you can't respond to my actual case and I won't let you turn it into a different, set-up driven argument.
Because there is literally nothing I can say against your case. You accuse me of making up arguments for why there's fakeclaims; I say I made these assumptions at the start of the game. You say, "no, you didn't." I say, "yes, I did."

It's pointless and stupid. People are ignoring your case because of how not good it is. It's time for you to either present new evidence or move on.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Sandwolf posted:

Serious face

look at all of sandwolfs posts this game.

scuuuuuuummmmm

##vote sandwolf

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Byers2142 posted:

I said: "I don't want to vote Rarity or Chili."

You said: "Then you're not going to be involved in D1, because that Ecco case sucks."

That's the exchange, and nowhere in there is Squid mentioned. Your post implies that it has to be Rarity, Chili, or Ecco, and it ain't gonna be Ecco, so if I don't vote Rarity or Chili then I'm not involved today. There's no option for Squid in that, but when I point out that limiting the choices like that is scummy you expand the choices. You didn't restate your position, you changed it.

You never gave any kind of opinion on Squid. Therefore, it is safe to say that you are probably not interested in voting him. My God.

Byers2142 posted:

I ignored it because I didn't feel like it needed elaboration on D1, however: I feel you are making a genuine attempt at scumhunting. Or, at least I did - with your recent posting and me recently remembering that this is supposed to be a Fire and Ice setup (whoops) I guess you could be scumhunting scum? But that feels less likely.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

CapitalistPig posted:

Serious face

look at all of sandwolfs posts this game.

scuuuuuuummmmm

##vote sandwolf

Who told me that Cpig has gotten better?

I'd now be up for lynching either Cpig or that person, as well.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hypothesis. Byers is making a dumb case and trying to goad me into posting about it at length because he wants us to ignore him. He wants us to know he's posting, but by tunneling on a dumb case, he wants us to not pay any attention to him.

Does this seem likely? It certainly seems possible imho.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Chili posted:

He seems to have regressed literally for this game only.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Chili posted:

You mad because I outed your scumbuddy?

Itll be ok.

Take a look at sandwolf again though before you say this.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

EccoRaven posted:

Hypothesis. Byers is making a dumb case and trying to goad me into posting about it at length because he wants us to ignore him. He wants us to know he's posting, but by tunneling on a dumb case, he wants us to not pay any attention to him.

Could be. It's just not reading that way to me. I'm inclined to buy his tunnel vision for now as that of a misled townie.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

EccoRaven posted:

I'll give you possible, but likely? I dunno. If he doesn't let off this tunnel-vision it's going to look scummier and scummier, and I doubt he's willing to commit that hard to white noise posting when usually he's pretty good at this game.

I think he's just stuck in one of those "gotchas" where only you see it. It happens to just about everyone in mafia.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Maybe. I'm really not liking it, though. If he actually thought I was scum wouldn't he stop caring what I said in my defense?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

Because there is literally nothing I can say against your case. You accuse me of making up arguments for why there's fakeclaims; I say I made these assumptions at the start of the game. You say, "no, you didn't." I say, "yes, I did."

It's pointless and stupid. People are ignoring your case because of how not good it is. It's time for you to either present new evidence or move on.

I don't think I can. I think I have to treat you like I treat merk; if I catch you out as scum, I can't get distracted because you stop doing scummy things and move to other people. You're good enough to recover, so I have to stay on target or I risk you getting away with it.

You've tried to set up a defense of why you'd think fakeclaims are in the game without pressure to do so, and you've tried several times to shift this argument away from that basic fact while getting progressively more insulting towards me. That is the best D1 case short of a N0 cop claim I've seen. It speaks to a guilty conscience, to defending by trying to change the subject instead of addressing it, and to ad hominem attacks. Why would I not try as hard as I can to get people to see that you are scum, given all of that?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Byers2142 posted:

Why would I not try as hard as I can to get people to see that you are scum, given all of that?

But you're not trying very hard tbh. You keep drilling in this point, and when people who are not-me say it's not a good one, you either call them scummy too or just ignore them and repeat the same points over and over again.

If you actually wanted people to vote with you you'd actually engage them more.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

You never gave any kind of opinion on Squid. Therefore, it is safe to say that you are probably not interested in voting him. My God.

That's a pretty bold assumption when you were responding to a post about people I didn't want to vote. If I didn't want to vote him, why wouldn't he be in the post?

EccoRaven posted:

This is a two scum team game. Why would I fake scumhunting in a two scum team game instead of hunting the other scum team.

EccoRaven posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Maybe. I'm really not liking it, though. If he actually thought I was scum wouldn't he stop caring what I said in my defense?

Why would I stop caring? You're scum, I'm casing you, our job is to try and get the rest of the thread to agree with us. If I ignore what you say, how can I respond to it?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Honestly, both of you shut the gently caress up. This is the least productive conversation I've ever had to read. Everyone in this loving thread has probably made their mind up about this whole issue and neither of you are on the chopping block so let it go and let's MOVE ON.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Yeah. I'm totally fine with Byers.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

But you're not trying very hard tbh. You keep drilling in this point, and when people who are not-me say it's not a good one, you either call them scummy too or just ignore them and repeat the same points over and over again.

If you actually wanted people to vote with you you'd actually engage them more.

I've called people scummy that say I'm town. Big difference.

Look at the conversation I had with Asiina; I'm trying to get people to see what I see. I'm begging people to see it, because you are scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

Honestly, both of you shut the gently caress up. This is the least productive conversation I've ever had to read. Everyone in this loving thread has probably made their mind up about this whole issue and neither of you are on the chopping block so let it go and let's MOVE ON.

To what exactly?

I'm happy enough for this to continue and allow folks to at least have something to talk about.

Anyone else think I'm scum, and care to explain why?

• Locked thread