Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

MrBuddyLee posted:

I wonder if Aisha Tyler could hack it.

She probably could but I'm pretty sure she's the busiest person on TV at the moment with the amount of stuff she's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

hcreight posted:

Fun speculation time: I kind of wonder if CC has known Stewart was ready to step down for a while now, and whether they changed the name of Wilmore's show from The Minority Report to The Nightly Show because they're looking at Jessica Williams as the new TDS host.

Nah, just kidding, gonna be another white guy.

Given Stewart leaving dropped the company stock 350 million, I don't think they knew

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shageletic posted:

He is such a douchebag

Fixed that for you.
If you wonder why he plays douchebags so often and so well, it's because it has nothing to do with acting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shageletic posted:

:Wolfcastle comic jpg:

No it wasn't.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lugaloco posted:

She probably could but I'm pretty sure she's the busiest person on TV at the moment with the amount of stuff she's doing.

And also the least likeable and funny, which is kind of essential for a late night host.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

less laughter posted:

And also the least likeable and funny, which is kind of essential for a late night host.
I also find powerful black women threatening.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

less laughter posted:

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. Tyler rules in just about everything she does.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

FactsAreUseless posted:

I also find powerful black women threatening.

I find her personality grating and extremely off-putting, it has nothing to do with her gender or race. It is racist and misogynistic on your part that you can't even talk about a woman of color anymore without playing the race or gender card at the drop of a hat, as if she's beyond critique purely because of said gender and/or race.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 18, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus what power? I could totally take her in a fight.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

less laughter posted:

I find her personality grating and extremely off-putting, it has nothing to do with her gender or race. It is racist and misogynistic on your part that you can't even talk about a woman of color anymore without playing the race or gender card at the drop of a hat, as if she's beyond critique purely because of said gender and/or race.
Oh, okay.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Well, yeah. Have you seen how she aims?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I think she could totally beat Freeza, but probably not Cell. Her power is somewhere between there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

I think she could totally beat Freeza, but probably not Cell. Her power is somewhere between there.
SSJ1 then.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Would she even have time between The Talk, Archer, and Who's Line?

She also does a solid podcast every week. And wrote a book in the middle of all that in 2013. While still doing stand up shows. She's kind of ridiculous.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

She would presumably leave at least most of those if she landed The Daily Show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thrawn527 posted:

Or like John Oliver cut back on the podcast. More Bugles damnit :argh:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I can't wait to see The Daily Show With Joel McHale.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think I would prefer that to The Daily Show with Any of the Current Correspondants

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would unironically be OK with that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

I seriously doubt she would give up a talk show on a major network to go back to basic cable.

Joel McHale is more realistic, he would probably jump ship on Community and/or The Soup for the opportunity, but then The Soup wouldn't be worth watching and I don't want that to go away.

Either way I agree with timp, the current crop of correspondents is slim fuckin' pickins. Out of them I think Aasif is the only one I'd want to see hosting.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 18, 2015

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So Amazon picked up (?) The Man in the High Castle and Mad Dogs, which you guys probably care about, as well as Stinky and Dirty which my daughter seems to care about more than any TV show in quite a while for some reason. I was kinda hoping for the Sara Solves It show, but it was pretty similar to a lot of other shows already.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rocksicles posted:

yeah, what you said is what he means

That's sorta disappointing, I was hoping it would be a legit after-credits scene where Spartacus' corpse gets up and walks away or something like that.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

raditts posted:

Joel McHale is more realistic, he would probably jump ship on Community and/or The Soup for the opportunity, but then The Soup wouldn't be worth watching and I don't want that to go away.

Just merge the two.

The Daily Soup

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
Joel just renewed his contract with E for 2 more years, & he's said he isn't right for the job...

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/joel-mchale-on-daily-show-job-i-dont-think-im-smart-enough-1201432919/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's getting hilarious how all the networks are locking up their hosts so that CC doesn't steal them.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

bigE posted:

Joel just renewed his contract with E for 2 more years, & he's said he isn't right for the job...

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/joel-mchale-on-daily-show-job-i-dont-think-im-smart-enough-1201432919/

I think the reasoning he's hinting at is a good reason he wouldn't be a good fit. I don't get the impression McHale is nearly as well read as Stewart, which would hurt, especially with the types of guests TDS gets.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't mean this as an insult to McHale, but he could have done a fantastic job of hosting the Daily Show if it was still the Kilborn version.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

Joel McHale is more realistic, he would probably jump ship on Community

He would never, ever, EVER do this, ever, he loves that show more than Dan Harmon does

*pulls ripcord and parachutes out of thread*

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
McHale is great at doing snarky commentary on clips but half of The Daily Show is based on interviewing and he would be terrible at that because he's too confrontational and biting. Look at him hosting the Spike VGX awards, most of the show is him just ripping into the guests and them squirming awkwardly as he grills them on Game of Thrones minutiae or makes fun of their games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

McHale is great at doing snarky commentary on clips but half of The Daily Show is based on interviewing and he would be terrible at that because he's too confrontational and biting. Look at him hosting the Spike VGX awards, most of the show is him just ripping into the guests and them squirming awkwardly as he grills them on Game of Thrones minutiae or makes fun of their games.

That sounds to me like he'd be perfect.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I've never seen more people suggest a woman to host a late night show as this daily show vacancy. Would you think a woman be a boon or a detriment to viewership to the program at this time? Are audience's preference for male hosts waning? I'm curious, not projecting one answer or the other.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think what gender / race the host is is less important than whether they're funny and have a good personality, and it so happens that of the available fantasy candidates, most of the people that fall into that camp happen to be women.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fooz posted:

I've never seen more people suggest a woman to host a late night show as this daily show vacancy. Would you think a woman be a boon or a detriment to viewership to the program at this time? Are audience's preference for male hosts waning? I'm curious, not projecting one answer or the other.

I think a lot of it is looking around anywhere for the host they think would fit. If Oliver was available it wouldn't even be a conversation.

The weekend update group get brought up a lot because its a known quantity but I don't think any of them want the grind of it.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Looking forward to watching The Daily Show with Chris Hardwick.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
that indian chick from american horror storY! Shes a woman. Shes a indian, Shes a frickin' super midget!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

tk posted:

Looking forward to watching The Daily Show with Chris Hardwick.

I vote for this option. TVIV hasn't had a good meltdown in a while.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

tk posted:

Looking forward to watching The Daily Show with Chris Hardwick. Felicia Day

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Get someone truly out of left field. Shock everybody.

The Daily Show with Yaphet Kotto

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

The Daily Show With Tucker Carlson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. It's not the same Jon Stewart.

• Locked thread