Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Phanatic posted:

Big problem for motorcycles.

Gas stations aren't going to want to have separate pumps for E85 like they do for diesel. But if you have one pump that switches between E15 and E85 (like you do for different octane grades of E15), there's a new issue. Guy in a new multifuel-capable car pulls in and fills up his car with E85. Now there's a bit of E85 sitting in the hose. Next guy in line switches to E15 to fill his car. No big deal, the bit of E85 carryover in the hose isn't going to do much diluted in a full-size fuel tank of E15.

But if the next guy in line's on a bike with a 4- or 5-gallon tank, then that's enough E85 in the hose to raise the ethanol concentration in his tank to well above E15.

Ethanol in gas is retarded for so many reasons.

Why do you hate BIG CORN so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Phanatic posted:

Gas stations aren't going to want to have separate pumps for E85 like they do for diesel.

Have you encountered a gas station that has an E-85 pump that shares the hose with regular unleaded? Literally every gas station I've ever been to that sells E-85 either has a standalone pump or else is set up similar to pumps that dispense both gasoline and auto diesel.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Big problem for motorcycles.

Gas stations aren't going to want to have separate pumps for E85 like they do for diesel. But if you have one pump that switches between E15 and E85 (like you do for different octane grades of E15), there's a new issue. Guy in a new multifuel-capable car pulls in and fills up his car with E85. Now there's a bit of E85 sitting in the hose. Next guy in line switches to E15 to fill his car. No big deal, the bit of E85 carryover in the hose isn't going to do much diluted in a full-size fuel tank of E15.

But if the next guy in line's on a bike with a 4- or 5-gallon tank, then that's enough E85 in the hose to raise the ethanol concentration in his tank to well above E15.

Ethanol in gas is retarded for so many reasons.

Here some of the newer stations are selling pure gasoline with no ethanol, and they have a dedicated pump hose, it's red. I have only stopped at an E85 station once and it had regular black handles on E15 and a corn-yellow handle on the E85.

Should my 2012 Impala with the LFX be flex fuel capable? The manual does not mention E85 anywhere. I know older Impalas are flex fuel capable, but they had different motors. I don't have any desire to run E85 in my car, I am just curious.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

veedubfreak posted:

Why do you hate BIG CORN so much?

I watched an episode of justified the other day and the criminals were in florida importing real sugar from cuba illegally. Not drugs or people, but sugar.
Makes you think.
Corn fields are only good for movie sets.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 24, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Didn't the whole ethanol thing collapse when they discovered it would push the price of corn to unsustainable levels?

I still don't get how growing extra corn and refining it into ethanol that burns similar to gasoline is any better for the environment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Didn't the whole ethanol thing collapse when they discovered it would push the price of corn to unsustainable levels?

Still very much alive and well, especially if you live in a state that grows corn. They keep pushing more and more of it down our throats.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

1500quidporsche posted:

I still don't get how growing extra corn and refining it into ethanol that burns similar to gasoline is any better for the environment.

It's not, it's a handout to big agriculture marketed as "Why do you hate our farmers, the lifeblood of America?!?"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Ethanol is (theoretically) carbon neutral, as the carbon you release into the air is the same amount of carbon that was taken out of it by the crop when it grew.

Ethanol isn't a good solution regardless for a variety of other reasons. "My O-rings are melting" isn't one of them though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Ethanol is (theoretically) carbon neutral, as the carbon you release into the air is the same amount of carbon that was taken out of it by the crop when it grew.

Ethanol isn't a good solution regardless for a variety of other reasons. "My O-rings are melting" isn't one of them though.

Except corn requires extensive fertilization, which is largely derived from natural gas.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Collateral Damage posted:

So are petrol and diesel, people just don't think on long enough timeframes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

FogHelmut posted:

Except corn requires extensive fertilization, which is largely derived from natural gas.

Not to mention the fuel for the equipment to plant, maintain, and harvest it. And it;s really not that great of a source for ethanol, either.

InitialDave posted:

So are petrol and diesel, people just don't think on long enough timeframes.

That's what I keep trying to tell people.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There are billions of starving people worldwide, hell one in 5 kids in America skip at least one meal a day because their parents can't afford to feed them but we're taking crops grown on arable land and stuffing it in our gas tanks, it's retarded.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Slavvy posted:

You wish. I'd kill for an AE100 series corolla but brand new. 4AFE, manual trans, 500,000km of trouble free motoring. Bliss.

Truly some dreams are just so fantastical......

:angel:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
It'd have to be a manual because the 4A-FE is loving miserable with the stupid 3 speed automatic they sold them paired to here. (US)

All above the base model got the 7A-FE. Those had the 4 speed auto. There's even a different platform code. AE101 is 4A/3speed and AE102 is 7A/4 speed

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 24, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

rscott posted:

There are billions of starving people worldwide, hell one in 5 kids in America skip at least one meal a day because their parents can't afford to feed them but we're taking crops grown on arable land and stuffing it in our gas tanks, it's retarded.

This is pretty much my view. That and you're basically robbing peter to pay Paul if you think corn is carbon neutral when you factor in all the resources required to grow it and process it into ethanol.

Its the same thing with plug in hybrids. Unless the majority of your electricity is derived from wind and solar at best you're slightly worse than a non plug in hybrid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At least using used cooking oil to make biodiesel has a prerequisite of feeding people.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

1500quidporsche posted:

Its the same thing with plug in hybrids. Unless the majority of your power is derived from wind and solar at best you're slightly worse than a non plug in hybrid.

Except the efficiencies of modern(ish) power plants is far greater than that of the small gasoline or Diesel engine in your hybrid.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

El Jebus posted:

Except the efficiencies of modern(ish) power plants is far greater than that of the small gasoline or Diesel engine in your hybrid.

Forgot about powerplant efficiency. I still think plugin hybrid and electric car drivers are overly smug considering their cars are powered mostly by coal though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Not to mention the fuel for the equipment to plant, maintain, and harvest it.

As opposed to the carbon-neutral equipment used to drill, extract and refine oil?

Darchangel posted:

And it;s really not that great of a source for ethanol, either.

I will agree on this point - but realistically what other domestic crop are you going to distill?

1500quidporsche posted:

Its the same thing with plug in hybrids. Unless the majority of your electricity is derived from wind and solar at best you're slightly worse than a non plug in hybrid.

Except the grid system isn't demand based, at least not to the level that a single plug-in hybrid is going to require bringing any more turbines/generators online to meet demand. If they become massively popular this could change, but until power companies have to massively expand capacity due to a surge in plug-in hybrid purchases the damage will be done regardless of if you plug your car into the grid or not.

This is especially true if you charge your plug-in hybrid during non-peak hours when most of the power on the grid is being supplied by base load plants that run at 100% of capacity 24/7.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 24, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

1500quidporsche posted:

I still think plugin hybrid and electric car drivers are overly smug considering their cars are powered mostly by coal though.

Yeah, I am not going to disagree on smug being an issue. I just hope it doesn't collide with Clooney's smug. I know I won't get a plug-in hybrid or EV until I have solar on my roof, just so I can emit maximum smug at anyone I see.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

At least using used cooking oil to make biodiesel has a prerequisite of feeding people.

Also it makes your car smell like french fries 24/7.

Corn should only be used for eating and making liquor.

Get that crap out of my sodas too.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Geoj posted:

I will agree on this point - but realistically what other domestic crop are you going to distill?

Not really a crop, but there is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs0QZJ0rea0

On the subject of parts failing, it's always helpful to remember the force part of the word downforce when mounting things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fr1tpeLBYI

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The original justification for corn fuel wasn't so much its carbon footprint, but the fact that it's a renewable resource unlike petroleum reserves.

All the environmental concerns go out the window once we get high-efficiency nuclear (fission and eventually fusion) power, though; you can generate enough electricity to synthesize all the hydrocarbons you want from atmospheric CO2 and water without adding any CO2 back in return, and it makes electric cars a lot more eco-friendly than they are now for the same reason.

E: vv yeah, starvation in other countries is a distribution issue, not a production one. The other crops that could be grown on our corn land wouldn't suddenly and magically make it into the stomachs of starving Ethiopians just because we're growing it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

rscott posted:

This has nothing to do with a shortage of food production, we throw away vast quantities of food every day.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

1500quidporsche posted:

Not thanks to government subsidies!

quote:

It's not, but it prevents us from having to buy oil from dirty people overseas .

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I have to say this thread isn't mechanical, but it sure is a failure.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The two pictures on this page were getting lonely. I hope this helps.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fucknag posted:

The original justification for corn fuel wasn't so much its carbon footprint, but the fact that it's a renewable resource unlike petroleum reserves.

All the environmental concerns go out the window once we get high-efficiency nuclear (fission and eventually fusion) power, though; you can generate enough electricity to synthesize all the hydrocarbons you want from atmospheric CO2 and water without adding any CO2 back in return, and it makes electric cars a lot more eco-friendly than they are now for the same reason.

E: vv yeah, starvation in other countries is a distribution issue, not a production one. The other crops that could be grown on our corn land wouldn't suddenly and magically make it into the stomachs of starving Ethiopians just because we're growing it.

But nuclear is scary :ohdear: It's got ATOMS in it and and fukushima and :ohdear:

At least the US won't be getting any more nuclear power for the far foreseeable future, thanks on one side to the coal lobbies and on the other to retards that assume nuk-u-lar is guaranteed Chernobyl/Fukushima.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Goober Peas posted:

Well, okay, that could be a lot worse. Like no mirror at all. I mean, better than nothing, right?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Reminds me of when they did the ULSD switch in diesel, it was a death sentence for older Turbodiesels as it would destroy the rubber seals for the Injection Pump and would necessitate a rebuild within 1,000 miles

The Stanadyne injection pump that IDI diesels Ford used from 83-94 used a fiberglass/plastic bit that would dry out and crumble from too much ULSD. Amusingly, the cure for that was to just add some fraction of an ounce of vegetable oil per gallon of ULSD until you needed a rebuild from normal use, as all the rebuilders use a steel replacement now. Frustratingly, too much vegetable oil would rot the fuel return lines between the injectors, which would cause it to piss fuel (or vegetable oil) all over the engine. Fortunately though, replacement hoses were really easy to find, and vegetable oil is an excellent rustproofer.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Goober Peas posted:

I see Mellon Cat finally fixed his mirror!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

let me back you up there, buddy.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I hope those are all from the same car, poo poo would probably just cascade after one "fix" failed on the road.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I love how utterly futile this is. Not only is the plastic bag itself split, look at the surrounding area, you cretin. You are bolting your rubbery stable door* long, long after your greasy horse has bolted.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Someone just posted this on the local BMW Facebook group. Car has been sitting for 3 weeks, went out and noticed a funny smell. Seat switch cooked itself.

Superior German Engineering:science:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The ultimate immolation machine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Vagina dentata sittin in that seat.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
How about a custom stanced F150:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Goddamn :stonk:

First time I've seen that on a Sterling 10.25/10.5 rearend, but that's a very common failure mode on Ford 8.8s. It's more common for it to just spin the tube in the differential housing since Ford was retarded and pressed metal plugs in to keep the two together instead of welding them like, oh, every other company on the planet, but I've seen plenty of pulled 8.8 tubes at the yard, usually due to collisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vanagoon posted:

It'd have to be a manual because the 4A-FE is loving miserable with the stupid 3 speed automatic they sold them paired to here. (US)

All above the base model got the 7A-FE. Those had the 4 speed auto. There's even a different platform code. AE101 is 4A/3speed and AE102 is 7A/4 speed

My tercel has a 4E-FE 1300cc with that 3 speed auto. It isn't that miserable but it isn't pleasant either. Bizarre that they decided to stick a 3 speed on the 1.6 though. We got the 7A-FE in the 'GLX' models which had alloys, 4 wheel discs, top of the line interior etc. Everything else had either a 1.6 or, god help me, a 2E that for some loving retarded reason kept it's carburettor right up until '95.