Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm kind of confused here because you said you thought I made a persuasive case but then you didn't back it up with a vote because I am bullying Foolster?

Hey Foolster if I have made you uncomfortable at any point during this game then I am actually very sorry. New players are great and you seem nice even if you rolled scum, I hope you stick around.

Okay, Rurea, will you vote Foolster now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Also somber's case on foolster is good and persuasive.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
wait wait

oh man

is this... somber-fear?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i never knew i wanted this until right now, but now i don't know how i could live without it

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

I'm kind of confused here because you said you thought I made a persuasive case but then you didn't back it up with a vote because I am bullying Foolster?

Hey Foolster if I have made you uncomfortable at any point during this game then I am actually very sorry. New players are great and you seem nice even if you rolled scum, I hope you stick around.

Okay, Rurea, will you vote Foolster now?
Yes.
##vote Foolster41

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
when are you going to change your disgusting av because it's grossing me out

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Kumbamontu posted:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

oh hey welcome to the party, maybe you could grace us with some thoughts

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kumbamontu posted:

ask Yeezus.

and I need to liberate the mouse crew first

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Good Sir posted:

Because I presented one argument for someone being scummy, and in the same post played the devil's advocate and said "Although I could be incorrect for these reasons...", you think that is scummy of me.

So then you realise that your case against hiip is a "dumb, hasty conclusion that probably isn't correct" which makes you change your vote from hiip to me because I contradict my self?

You initially voted me for saying last night was terrible. Then you explained that your own case against hiip was a "dumb, hasty conclusion that probably isn't correct" and thus change your vote from hiip to me because you "found my post contradictory."

My supposedly 'scummy' post was: explaining why I was getting scummy vibes from Tastee and then going on to consider the ways in which I could potentially be incorrect, so as to not make any hasty decisions. You called this "hedging" (idk) and that I was "contradicting" my self and thus am scummy.

Meanwhile you seem to be the one making hasty decisions then suddenly changing votes.

This response is giving me some townie vibes~
I don't think Good Sir was intentionally being hedgey

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Kumbamontu posted:

oh hey welcome to the party, maybe you could grace us with some thoughts

ive been kinda skimming the thread, but im more focussing on the other game , i'll actually make a good post when that game's day ends

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Rurea posted:

This response is giving me some townie vibes~
I don't think Good Sir was intentionally being hedgey

Yeah I may be reading too much into it but the VT thing is hard to overlook. To be fair it could be awkward newbieness, but ehh

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Somberbrero posted:

awkward! forced content, like commenting on the noid. "no lynch sure sounds bad unless it isn't haha let me never talk about why."

Like I said I was catching up to a bunch of posts. I said it sounds bad bit I'm willing to hear counter-arguments since I hadn't played in years. I didn't say it isn't in any way. Big difference! You're misrepresenting what I said!

Somberbrero posted:

'who knows what powers besides the scum have' is an incredibly weird thing to mention and it's not motivated by town perspective

Huh? Yeah, cautioning the town that the scum might have extra powers in a power-heavy game sure sounds scummy! (Yes, that's sarcasm). Also, notice the context of this is arguing against a no-lynch. Something a majority have said is a bad idea, and which you yourself said is a bad idea.

Somberbrero posted:

forced content! Foolster has nothing important to say here. in fact he actively reduces the amount of useful content by bringing up the no-lunch discussion again.

Huh? People were Still talking about it Literally the last non-mod post before mine mentioned it. Honestly, there wasn't a lot to talk about anyway (I have a feeling if I hadn't posted you'd accuse me of lurking!), most of the conversion up to that point had been about no-lynch and joke stuff (ignoring people). This was page 4.

Somberbrero posted:

huge overreaction to a single vote that is probably the worst OMGUS I've ever seen. Foolster doesn't even vote me here, he uses a finger of shame.

Do I have to keep going?

Maybe I over-reacted, but I guess I was getting annoyed. I saw your joke "vote until dead" (that again, was repeated, so I didn't see it as a joke) and then jumping onto me with a vague vote and quote with no commentary. Yes, I didn't even vote you because honestly, you seemed too erratic to be scum, thus why I didn't vote. IDK, I keep going back and forth in my mind about you.

Also you accuse me of over-reacting, but I think over-reacting would have been to vote you and insist you die. I didn't do that, because despite your pushing for my lynching, I'm still willing to consider you might be a confused town. I'm interested in finding scum, and hearing clear explanations of reasons for accusations, not back-biting against people who accuse me.

Good Sir
Oct 19, 2008

Kumbamontu posted:

The point you seem to be missing, Good Sir, is that you hedged your read on someone because you thought they could be VT in a role madness game. That is the part that seems made up, as if you were trying very hard to come up with a reason to hedge your bet and forgot the game was role madness. That's the scummy part. Analyzing what happened and coming to the conclusion that "eh, maybe this doesn't make sense" is actively engaging with the content of the thread; seemingly pretending to play Devil's advocate with a reason that doesn't make sense from the get go a different beast altogether.

The statement in question:

Good Sir posted:

Also unrelated to quotes above I would like to note:
Mr. Tastee came into this thread, explained that he was terrible at mafia and was going to "whitenose it." He then voted me and has not posted since. Rurea and Poison Mushroom voted for him. One thought I have is, why would we want someone like Tastee on our team? He admits to being bad at mafia and is lurking. He isn't contributing. Then again I sometimes wonder if lurkers are more likely to be vanilla town as they just lost interest in the game after receiving a powerless and bland role.
I guess I was "hedging," which I'm only now reading what it is after being accused and googling. I saw it as considering both sides of a situation; considering two possible realities/outcomes. I guess it could also look like I was trying to remain super neutral and not go all-in and thus scummy. I see... I guess. In addition the me thinking he could be VT in a role madness game is very obviously a newbie mistake - I've played mafia once or twice before, years ago, and am currently playing this and Skyrim mafia which has lots of VT. I just didn't realise that this mafia has 0 possibility of there being any VT. Lastly, you're taking a segment of a very long post in which I shared opinions about several players out of context and blowing it out of proportion.

I was simply used to analyzing with the assumption that there is always vanilla town. You are voting me for absurd reasons and Tastee jumped on the bandwagon offly quick while explaining that he has too much of a real life to spend as much time on mafia as the rest of us .

edit - ugh sorry - result of posting from mobile phone

Good Sir fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 24, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rurea posted:

This line of reasoning is not helpful and as Somber pointed out, a smart scumteam would realize this.

The wine in front of me.

mr.capps posted:

foolster is scum but its against the law for me to kill him

Elaborate?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Met posted:

Elaborate?

He's making a joke about the fact that I'm his GM in a RPG I'm running.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Good Post from Good Sir

##unvote

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Met posted:

The wine in front of me.

Yeah yeah yeah I see your point

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I will not vote Good Sir, that guy seems real to me.

I will ##vote foolster however, I find that case to be persuasive.

I still think Met is also a good vote. Nothing he has posted today feels any more involved than what he was doing yesterday and I find him to be very fake.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hal Incandenza posted:

I still think Met is also a good vote. Nothing he has posted today feels any more involved than what he was doing yesterday and I find him to be very fake.

Should I remind you of this once the game is over so you remember to alter your future reads?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Met posted:

Should I remind you of this once the game is over so you remember to alter your future reads?

Perhaps?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey Met your vote is dumb because this is an extraordinarily quiet game and you've ignored my casework despite voting me due to a lack of posting.

Fool we can go back and forth but no one besides us is going to care. If you want me to not vote you then you should claim something crazy. Sorry if you're town.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Met, why exactly do you think Somber is scum? I can't find any indication of that in your posting, just that you really want to vote him. I guess you have a little more reasoning behind Kumba, but there isn't much there either.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Somberbrero posted:

Hey Met your vote is dumb because this is an extraordinarily quiet game and you've ignored my casework despite voting me due to a lack of posting.

Fool we can go back and forth but no one besides us is going to care. If you want me to not vote you then you should claim something crazy. Sorry if you're town.

I have a scum read on you and Hal, so I'm not inclined to trust when you two are voting for the same person with only three votes on that target. I'd be happy to change my opinion if it seems reasonable but I'm not sure you will accomplish that by constantly insulting my decisions.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hal Incandenza posted:

Met, why exactly do you think Somber is scum? I can't find any indication of that in your posting, just that you really want to vote him. I guess you have a little more reasoning behind Kumba, but there isn't much there either.

I'll get back to you in a little. Need another thread re-read.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Met posted:

I'll get back to you in a little. Need another thread re-read.

Oh so you really don't know either, got it.

Also scum read on me? Why, because I want to vote you? Maybe you can put that into your reread analysis too, thanks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hal Incandenza posted:

Oh so you really don't know either, got it.

I memorize all posts of the game, yep. :jerkbag:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Met posted:

That's a lot different than just having some general idea of why you are pushing someone very hard that you have been pushing for days. I don't think it's too much for you to have some idea of the impetus for your main case.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I hope people are at least considering my post above. Somber pretty clearly misrepresented what I said ("no lynch sure sounds bad unless it isn't haha let me never talk about why."), is blowing some things out of proportion (brining up no-lynch which was discussed literally in the previous post, and complaining I'm not talking about much on page 4, when there hasn't been much discussion).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have notes jotted down, I don't have links to posts to help the casing.

You're quite toxic in your tone. It's not conducive to townie play.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Met posted:

ME? I'm like the nicest guy in mafia.

I will patiently await the details though.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Foolster41 posted:

I hope people are at least considering my post above. Somber pretty clearly misrepresented what I said ("no lynch sure sounds bad unless it isn't haha let me never talk about why."), is blowing some things out of proportion (brining up no-lynch which was discussed literally in the previous post, and complaining I'm not talking about much on page 4, when there hasn't been much discussion).

I like this post. ##unvote

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Met posted:

I have a scum read on you and Hal, so I'm not inclined to trust when you two are voting for the same person with only three votes on that target. I'd be happy to change my opinion if it seems reasonable but I'm not sure you will accomplish that by constantly insulting my decisions.

this scum read on Hal comes out of nowhere immediately after Hal reiterates he has a scum read on Met

Met has not mentioned Hal before this post

Met posted:

post your notes then, or are you too busy trying to remember what you were trying to pretend to think?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Met posted:

Met posted:

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

I like this post. ##unvote

Hal be honest, have you actually read foolster? In no way could that possibly be construed as misrepresentation.

I'm phone posting but I guess I'll do this again tomorrow!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kumbamontu posted:

post your notes then, or are you too busy trying to remember what you were trying to pretend to think?

Kay?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A4lwETNBDJKBk0fVqnWWMhae9xC59hBJRTa9AvFA0uo/edit#gid=0

They aren't great. Need to find posts to back up things, but I agree and disagree with notes more as I reread things. Will be reworking them. As a preliminary, I agree my opinion of Somber was snowballed from "This guy feels like scum" and I never really got out of that mindset for some reason until it turned into an assumption. We'll see though, attempting to look at the game with fresh eyes.

Kumbamontu posted:

What loving good does this serve, Kumba? You're being a twit. This is the kind of toxicity that we have too much of.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Actually not sure if that will work. I just copied the URL rather than getting a sharable link created.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A4lwETNBDJKBk0fVqnWWMhae9xC59hBJRTa9AvFA0uo/edit?usp=sharing

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
It's a relevant point and blowing up under a modicum of pressure is scummy.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

Hal be honest, have you actually read foolster? In no way could that possibly be construed as misrepresentation.

I have, he's awkward for sure. However, even if you disagree with his point about your case I can't read the post he made there and see a new scum player in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

Let's look back.

What I said:

"No lynch on day one? That sounds like a terrible idea, but I'm willing to hear why you think this is a good idea. I admit, I'm pretty rusty at Mafia."

You represented as:

"no lynch sure sounds bad unless it isn't haha let me never talk about why."

Yeah, there's no way that could be construed as misrepresentation! (sarc)

I didn't say I had a reason why I thought no-lynch might not be bad, and then hold back a reason. I said I was willing to listen to people who tell me I'm wrong. I don't even understand how this is hard to understand.

Doubling down on misrepresentation is suspicious.

• Locked thread