Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Is this representing me when I check this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jurgan posted:

Do you actually read posts before opining on them?

Can I not respond to something that's being quoted?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I wasn't so sure I'd get probated for posting a meme, I feel like it'd practically be mandated for me to make a "just gently caress me up" Arkham picture right now. :v:

Speaking of, we have what 3 or 4 plot threads leftover from previous games? Scarecrow and Elliot's stuff seem like they will be getting addressed as will Harley living up to the Joker's legacy. I'd not be surprised if Azrael will end up getting connected to the Arkham Knight somehow given his cryptic messages. Were there any others from the side missions I'm forgetting?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

The games don't have this because it wouldn't be that interesting really to play a game where you're a CEO of a company going over hiring practices and making sure criminals get a fair shot, but the game also throws a ton of background information at you and it doesn't mention any of that sort of stuff in those either and I think that's a shame.

Look at this dude who's never played Prison Architect.

hard counter posted:

Can I not respond to something that's being quoted?

I think the majority of the thread would prefer if you didn't respond to anything.

Here's a hint: When net cafe scandal talked about the worst page in Games, that statement included your posts.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I don't know how many times I've played through Arkham City, but I found Hush in the intro predator section in the cathedral for the first time today. :monocle:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mogomra posted:

I don't know how many times I've played through Arkham City, but I found Hush in the intro predator section in the cathedral for the first time today. :monocle:

Azrael is watching you from the rooftops when Bruce first enters Arkham proper, when you're in handcuffs and walking with Ryder down the long corridor.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

^ Holy poo poo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Honestly? I think Scarecrow will end up being Hush, or something like that. Scarecrow's motivations have completely changed. Arkham Knight will probably actually be a genuinely new character but there is gonna be a bait and switch somewhere.

His motives don't seem to have changed at all. Kill Batman, spread fear pretty simple.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The guy who says Bruce Wayne is on his list is Deadshot.

Also, if you try to hack Riddler's stuff before you meet him at the church, he'll call you an idiot and tell you to wait until later.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I really, really try not to buy into the hype machine but its getting increasingly difficult.

I loved Arkham City's portrayal of most of the universe, outside of the game's rather botched final act. They build up Dr. Strange so incredibly well with that opening, the tapes you find etc. and then he never does a drat thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mogomra posted:

Hush even reacts when the radio broadcast mentions Bruce Wayne.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Narcissus1916 posted:

They build up Dr. Strange so incredibly well with that opening, the tapes you find etc. and then he never does a drat thing.

What was equally bad to me was when Strange hyped up the guards he has patroling the top of Wonder Tower as being very bat savvy and knowing how to deal with Bruce's tactics. Then they still go down just as easily to the same old tricks as anyone else. Perhaps rocksteady planned to make a new enemy type that carefully checks all vents, grates and ledges but ran out of time, or maybe they overestimated the difficulty of not having inside gargoyles as seems to be the norm in Gotham.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, if you try to hack Riddler's stuff before you meet him at the church, he'll call you an idiot and tell you to wait until later.

If you've triggered the part where you're meant to go to the Church and continue trying to get into his other areas, he'll slowly lose his poo poo and eventually start screaming at you to go the Church. He even does similar in Asylum if you don't solve his first riddle. :v:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Narcissus1916 posted:

I really, really try not to buy into the hype machine but its getting increasingly difficult.

I loved Arkham City's portrayal of most of the universe, outside of the game's rather botched final act. They build up Dr. Strange so incredibly well with that opening, the tapes you find etc. and then he never does a drat thing.

To my mind, the only real problem with Strange was that he never took advantage of knowing Batman's identity.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hard counter posted:

What was equally bad to me was when Strange hyped up the guards he has patroling the top of Wonder Tower as being very bat savvy and knowing how to deal with Bruce's tactics. Then they still go down just as easily to the same old tricks as anyone else. Perhaps rocksteady planned to make a new enemy type that carefully checks all vents, grates and ledges but ran out of time, or maybe they overestimated the difficulty of not having inside gargoyles as seems to be the norm in Gotham.

Yeah i know what you mean. I always felt bad for the guards in the tower especially any you hang off the railing, because i assume they all burn to death in the Strange explosion.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

hard counter posted:

Strange's Tyger guards have different, reduced response to panic behaviors.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the only thing that set TYGER apart was that they don't go into "Oh poo poo, Batman's tied up everyone and I'm probably next" mode.

So they will still shoot you in the face if you pop out in front of them.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hopefully predator mode gets a little spicing up in Arkham Knight, like how the combat mode in Origins got new martial artists and venom thugs added to the mix. Armored dudes, Miners, IR dudes and jammers were all done by city and the mode could use a distinct new challenge imho.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I want a Boss Fight mode, too. Or at least have Batman rogues show up in Combat and Predator maps.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

if i was the batman id beat up every drat body

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, the only thing that set TYGER apart was that they don't go into "Oh poo poo, Batman's tied up everyone and I'm probably next" mode.

So they will still shoot you in the face if you pop out in front of them.

If I remember right, they also don't all group up to look at their buddy that got taken out.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So whose up for the inevitable Batmobile vs Knightmobile final boss battle across Gotham?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
So is Origins worth getting? I thought when it came out I heard it was a buggy mess so I have avoided it till now, but I'm starting to get that Batman itch with Arkham Knight on the horizon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

insider posted:

So is Origins worth getting? I thought when it came out I heard it was a buggy mess so I have avoided it till now, but I'm starting to get that Batman itch with Arkham Knight on the horizon.

Sale only, and ask the thread for advice on how to play it to avoid getting screwed over by some of the remaining design oversights and bugs.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Origins is my favorite Arkham game but yeah, if you've played the other two then waiting for a sale is best. It's More Batman Stuff and a ton of extra challenge maps at the very least.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

insider posted:

Origins is worth getting, it's got the best story of the 3 games and the gameplay is more of the same.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

insider posted:

Origins is great but I'd wait for a sale to pick it up. Story is great, gameplay isn't quite as solid as Arkham City but still a step up from Asylum, most of the major bugs have been fixed. I think the only big one people still report experiencing is falling through the floor in the My Alibi bar, which you can't access until post game and to be perfectly honest, it's never happened to me. I don't know what causes it but just get in and out quickly and it seems alright.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

insider posted:

its pretty good. its not as great as city in some areas but the story is pretty good for a batman story. plus its pretty cheap nowadays

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Origins would've benefited from being set a better time of year, even if Christmas was thematically nice.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Set in the height of summer and squeeze the entire storyline into about three hours of daylight. :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I would like this game to be set on St. Patrick's, and Batman repeatedly beats up crowds of drunken revellers wearing green leprechaun hats.

"By mistake."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's some real potential in "Batman: Thanksgiving" along with the Black Friday DLC. Parades and mobs galore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQcoo5aDcFg

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

insider posted:

Yes, but pay as little as possible. Bugs have been (I think) mostly been taken care of, so just make sure you're fully patched.

Grab the Mr. Freeze DLC too.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
About Origins: If the planets align just right you can get into some online matches. The multiplayer has some huge issues, but when it all comes together it works great. They needed change the Joker blimps though. Splash Damage showed a lot of interest in fixing major multiplayer issues and rebalance everything, but they would have had to go through Warner Bros. Montreal & console certification in order to fix the multiplayer, and they were denied. It's a shame because like I said, when it works it works great.

Edit: Oh, and I Am the Knight mode is neat, but the firefly fight can gently caress off. I've tried twice and die at that part. The rest of the game, even with perma death, isn't that hard.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

IIRC Origin's biggest weaknesses were its silly waynetech upgrade system and its achievement system. At release nobody knew about these janky mechanics and finding out firsthand led to a lot of headaches. Nowadays you can save yourself from the trouble by looking up a guide for those things.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

The Repo Man posted:

Edit: Oh, and I Am the Knight mode is neat, but the firefly fight can gently caress off. I've tried twice and die at that part. The rest of the game, even with perma death, isn't that hard.

I died in that fight too. Had to watch a youtube video and learn when the counter icon appears during the final cutscene of the fight. Also died to snipers a couple times during predator sections.

Well worth completing it in the end though. I don't think I've ever had an achievement before that one that I was actually quite proud of.

Edit: Just adding, Origins is worth a playthrough. Agreed on getting it while on sale if you can, unless you're a diehard Batman fan. If you're looking to 100% it you need to be aware of the challenge progression trees (can't remember exactly what they're called, been a while since I played...) as some challenges can only be beat in certain parts of the game. If you're just playing for the story the game works quite fine now without having to worry about that.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 1, 2015

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not
I'll bitch and whine about the stupid-rear end lovely hosed-up Concussion Grenades in Arkham Origins whenever I can, and apparently I'll die alone on this hill. I can forgive lackluster level design, uninspired boss encounters, a story that doesn't actually stand up to scrutiny despite being a major selling point, and the vague sensation that things generally aren't what they should be - but the grenades are a concrete gently caress-up I can point at.

You can reliably gently caress your combos by initiating a takedown, or any lengthy animation, as a grenade goes off, which makes the gadget even more useless than it initially appears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxE6JJlTy5Q

I didn't understand what was happening when I recorded that video (within a week of the game's release) but now the poo poo is never going to be fixed, which makes the combat system, and therefore the entire game, pointless I M H O

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

myname_isdoug posted:

I'll bitch and whine about the stupid-rear end lovely hosed-up Concussion Grenades in Arkham Origins whenever I can, and apparently I'll die alone on this hill. I can forgive lackluster level design, uninspired boss encounters, a story that doesn't actually stand up to scrutiny despite being a major selling point, and the vague sensation that things generally aren't what they should be - but the grenades are a concrete gently caress-up I can point at.

You can reliably gently caress your combos by initiating a takedown, or any lengthy animation, as a grenade goes off, which makes the gadget even more useless than it initially appears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxE6JJlTy5Q

I didn't understand what was happening when I recorded that video (within a week of the game's release) but now the poo poo is never going to be fixed, which makes the combat system, and therefore the entire game, pointless I M H O

You shouldn't play the other games either then because they also have mechanics that don't work 100% perfectly. It's fairly easy to get certain moves (especially explosives) to gently caress up combos unintentionally in City for example.

I think the concussion grenades are lovely both from a design standpoint and a gameplay standpoint but "this thing is flawed, ergo the entire game is pointless" is pretty absurd hyperbole. Arkham City is a more tightly designed game and has better gadgets but there's a level that exists between "this could have been improved/this is flawed" and "the entire game is literally worthless!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 1, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you need concussion grenades you're a giant wimp anyway. :batsmug:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You shouldn't play the other games either then because they also have mechanics that don't work 100% perfectly. It's fairly easy to get certain moves (especially explosives) to gently caress up combos unintentionally in City for example.

I think the concussion grenades are lovely both from a design standpoint and a gameplay standpoint but "this thing is flawed, ergo the entire game is pointless" is pretty absurd hyperbole. Arkham City is a more tightly designed game and has better gadgets but there's a level that exists between "this could have been improved/this is flawed" and "the entire game is literally worthless!"

concussion grenades are really good for keeping 5-10 guys on that side of the room, when I'm working on these 4-5 guys. It's really not that hard to get. They are also really effective on brutes and armored brutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

concussion grenades are really good for keeping 5-10 guys on that side of the room, when I'm working on these 4-5 guys. It's really not that hard to get. They are also really effective on brutes and armored brutes.

I get their purpose. I don't think they're very good at them and they lack the variety and interesting interactions of stuff like the Rec Gun.

• Locked thread