Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T1g4h posted:

Also, huzzah more snow! And by huzzah I mean "Goddamnit I cannot wait for Monday when it's supposed to hit 60F." Where's NitroSpazzz? He can share my misery with me since he's only a few hours away and knows what i'm dealing with :v:

Don't think we got snow but yes I'm sick of it and want warm. Driveway is still 1/3 covered in 2-3 inches of ice but rain and warm temperatures for the next four days should help. My brother surprised me, he cleared the base of the driveway so I could get the M5 into the garage safely. Didn't realize how much bigger that thing is until I pulled it into the garage. Thing ran great the whole way home and no issues but it was still a long drive and no matter how comfortable the car is after 4-5 hours it starts to suck.

Of course as soon as I get to Knoxville people start driving like loving idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It's supposed to be 38F here on Sunday or Monday. All of my coworkers are planning on coming to work in shorts and sandals

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

Are you James May?

Well, I was driving like him today

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Took an impreza hatch for a test drive today, it's actually a pretty nice car to drive. The new interiors are good, drives fine as a family car and overall seems pretty decent. The cvt was a little weird at first but I liked it, flappy paddles are gimmicky in this but whatever, the awd real-time view in the infotainment system is a huge gimmick but I actually kinda like it.

Only thing that really bugged me is the power. I'm so used to the torque and rumble in mine that it just felt glacially slow, it's not, but it felt like it. I don't know if I can go back to no power anymore. Like drat, I think I have more torque at idle than the 2I na motor has at peak.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Took an impreza hatch for a test drive today, it's actually a pretty nice car to drive. The new interiors are good, drives fine as a family car and overall seems pretty decent. The cvt was a little weird at first but I liked it, flappy paddles are gimmicky in this but whatever, the awd real-time view in the infotainment system is a huge gimmick but I actually kinda like it.

Only thing that really bugged me is the power. I'm so used to the torque and rumble in mine that it just felt glacially slow, it's not, but it felt like it. I don't know if I can go back to no power anymore. Like drat, I think I have more torque at idle than the 2I na motor has at peak.

Try the XV with the 5-speed. If you really beat on the 2.0 it's more fun than the old 2.5.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Liquid Communism posted:

Or it could be that a lot of IT staff get jaded and develop this attitude after spending months and years slamming their head against users who are incapable of remembering or learning even the tiniest bit of information about the machines they rely on to do their work, and thus are constantly calling them for the same set of problems caused by pure incompetence and willful ignorance.

There's a reason Step One of any troubleshooting routine is 'Are you certain it's plugged in?'.

It's possible to be jaded and bitter, but still make best efforts to help people. There's no excuse for just not setting things up because users might gently caress it up. They need it to do their job.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Liquid Communism posted:

Or it could be that a lot of IT staff get jaded and develop this attitude after spending months and years slamming their head against users who are incapable of remembering or learning even the tiniest bit of information about the machines they rely on to do their work, and thus are constantly calling them for the same set of problems caused by pure incompetence and willful ignorance.

There's a reason Step One of any troubleshooting routine is 'Are you certain it's plugged in?'.

We're not talking about help desk. We're talking about enterprise IT who are responsible for making sure the rest of the company can do their loving jobs by providing the capabilities they need. Like being able to download large files. We're talking about those staff making fucktarded decisions, like restricting an entire loving major mining company - a voracious consumer of massive datasets - to only being able to download files smaller than 100meg. It's the syndrome of IT deciding that the way they want to do it to make it easiest on themselves to manage is the way it's going to be done, and then telling people who want these large datasets to drive to the place they are hosted and give them a portable hard drive. Fucker, my job is to find new mineral deposits so the company can make money. How is your time more valuable than mine?

Edit: rant not directed at you, and if this sounds farfetched go back and look at my posts in this thread.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Liquid Communism posted:

I spent 2 days last week swearing at my printer and computer for not working. I plug it it, and the computer doesn't recognize it. loving useless machines! Why don't you work??

Cable was unplugged at the printer end.

There is a reason i'm a steering wheel holder and not anything that involves technological competence.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The other nuance of all this IT vs users discussion is that often, helpful support team members like myself get sandwiched between lovely security policies put in place above my pay grade, and user experience/ease of support.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Bajaha posted:

Did they not have an Impreza with a 5 or 6 speed?

Looking to replace the Velostar?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Memento posted:

We're not talking about help desk. We're talking about enterprise IT who are responsible for making sure the rest of the company can do their loving jobs by providing the capabilities they need. Like being able to download large files. We're talking about those staff making fucktarded decisions, like restricting an entire loving major mining company - a voracious consumer of massive datasets - to only being able to download files smaller than 100meg. It's the syndrome of IT deciding that the way they want to do it to make it easiest on themselves to manage is the way it's going to be done, and then telling people who want these large datasets to drive to the place they are hosted and give them a portable hard drive. Fucker, my job is to find new mineral deposits so the company can make money. How is your time more valuable than mine?

Edit: rant not directed at you, and if this sounds farfetched go back and look at my posts in this thread.

Doesn't sound farfetched at all, I'm a datacenter tech and spent the last week being screamed at by overseas admins about how my team is useless because we can't troubleshoot a simple cable problem... which was actually their persistent inability to configure their scripts correctly.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

mariooncrack posted:

Did they not have an Impreza with a 5 or 6 speed?

Looking to replace the Velostar?

They did, but we just went for a quick test. SSS I'll check out the XV next time I'm around the dealer.

Was thinking of going auto for the next one due to health reasons for my SO, we're going more aggressive with treatment plans now so might still end up in a manual, but an auto would make it a little easier on her (although I almost always end up being the chauffeur anyway so we might stick to manual anyway) she likes stick and actually gets cocky (:quagmire:) about it sometimes, but auto might be the more comfortable choice.

The Veloster's fate is in arbitration limbo, but we figured we'd start looking around at options. If arbitration proves fruitless, probably going to sell in a year and a half, two maybe and then buy something.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If a manager or higher-up ever screamed at me I will never be held accountable for my actions. Or, more probably I'd take it to HR because that poo poo is not going to fly, and if it does, I'll put in my two weeks. I don't mind getting screamed at by customers (my personal favourite is when this lady called me a "cracker rear end ginger motherfucker" when I told her we were unable to fill fake prescriptions and when I suggested that her comment was pretty racist she lost her poo poo and it was hilarious) because I don't work with them every day all day and I certainly don't give a single poo poo about what they say.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Dude so spot on. Ever since he got that avatar all of his posts are narrated by Ron Swanson in my head. It makes the words have greater confidence.

So I'm not the only one. :hfive:

MrChips posted:

Speaking of BOFHs, I really, really want to be one when it comes to my dad's computer. Nothing like spending an afternoon over at my parents' place, cleaning all the malware off my dad's computer for the umpteenth time, and locking that thing down would make my task so much easier. What is frustrating about this is every time I do it, I make sure all the tools like as blockers, anti-virus and automatic updates are working properly, and every time he finds a way to get around it. After I finish (like I will be shortly), we have "the talk", where I tell him that maybe is isn't a good idea to search for " free ..." on Google and mash the first link that comes up with no thought given...that sort of stuff. Every time, he pretends to listen and the cycle repeats every six to nine months.

At least my mom is so computer illiterate that she doesn't even have the knowledge to end up finding potential malware sources, much less bypassing all the protection in place :v:

You need Tron - it's all the things you might need to do to fix "the parents" computer, automated in a script.

So my new job is going great. Moved to Louisiana a few weeks ago, not much different from coastal Georgia, other than I can buy beer at 8am on Sunday.

Found this today, like I said, not much different from Georgia. Bro trucks everywhere.

Made an offer on a house today, owner accepted it on the spot. Living in a "historic" area in the middle of a small town with 6 bars and restaurants all within 3/4 of a mile.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have round the twist's opening song stuck in my head someone please send help

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tusen Takk posted:

Ah gently caress. You've done it to me now.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I have a week between jobs so I think I'm going to visit family down in North Carolina and make a long detour to come back on Tail of The Dragon and Skyline Drive.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Tonight I learned my Explorer's headlights are bright enought to trip the daylight sensors on some lights in my neighborhood. Huh. :confuoot:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 1, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tusen Takk posted:

Have you ever?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

This will fix you right up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw&t=12s

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Memento posted:

Have you ever?

EVER FELT LIKE THIS?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Friend and I got to talking tonight, came to the realization that a hatchback C5 Corvette is actually an attainable goal for me. I could seriously save up and get one of these, with a 6 speed manual, and have something fun and properly quick. gently caress yes :getin:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A friend of mine s, who ice known soccer college days "I would duck you until your disk bleed". She has the best tit on the free world. I tagged her rear end alecost 15 years ago. But the wife current doesn't know so know so do not tell her Ai. Ba true Penn stater: awesome unicorn but butter helmet

Holy crap this android swipe right thing has me all ducked u up.

A virus of Merlot and sausage mushrooms

I have no idea.

I love you.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Don't profane me, IOC

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I wish I could still get that drunk.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tide posted:

A friend of mine s, who ice known soccer college days "I would duck you until your disk bleed". She has the best tit on the free world. I tagged her rear end alecost 15 years ago. But the wife current doesn't know so know so do not tell her Ai. Ba true Penn stater: awesome unicorn but butter helmet

I have no idea.

I love you.

Sendin' this to yo' wife.

(Its not like she would understand it if I actually did send it to her :haw:)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Me too. It cost more than a fillup to get that hammered. and it just isn't worth the hangover anymore. :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

iwentdoodie posted:

Saaaame.

Tide posted:

Don't profane me, IOC

This made me laugh way harder than it should.

I think the chat thread doubles as AI's drunk thread, so you should be safe dude.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

Me too. It cost more than a fillup to get that hammered. and it just isn't worth the hangover anymore. :(

Yuuuup. If I can get a good buzz I feel accomplished. Actually getting that drunk requires more booze than I can physically get in.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am not looking forward to tomatoes. Sorority I have not had this much to dock in a while.

You know what? Every Friday or Saturday, I am going to host a WARYDTAI thread.

What
Are
You
Drinking
Tonight
Automotive
Insanity
thread

Anyway, what's sad is that I am not that good looking anymore. Still got a big dick but man could I do with some updating

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tonight? Narwhal from the brewery across the complex. Good poo poo. wish they didn't close at 8pm though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

boring loving cocktail. aggravation is what it's called apparently, just think white russian with whiskey replacing vodka.

not even that good whiskey, just plain old evan williams.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Clocked out with 41 hours tonight. Was scheduled to close tomorrow (which would add about 5 1/2 more hours). Boss called me and said another driver that's been out of town for family stuff was looking for hours, and wanted to know if I was interested in giving up tomorrow's shift.

I'm fine with that. I'm already into OT, I've made drat good tips this week, and I lost one of my two days off last week thanks to this white poo poo on the ground. I told him "that's a win for both of us, I was already in OT when I clocked out tonight, so it helps your labor budget, and I could use a day off after yesterday and today".

T1g4h posted:

Also, huzzah more snow! And by huzzah I mean "Goddamnit I cannot wait for Monday when it's supposed to hit 60F." Where's NitroSpazzz? He can share my misery with me since he's only a few hours away and knows what i'm dealing with :v:

You're probably getting what we got yesterday.

Tuesday we're supposed to hit ~70. Wednesday we're supposed to get snow.

GODDAMNIT NATURE MAKE UP YOUR MIND :shep:

Bovril Delight posted:

loving hell Austin lost its mind this morning - 140 wrecks in the city and another 50 in the county because people try driving over elevated bridges and overpasses like they normally do, except its ice.

Dallas had over 500 wrecks yesterday, Ft. Worth around 300. I have no idea how many were actually in the metro area combined.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That's kind of lovely, only one carrier here cares about tethering and they simply don't allow it at all, the others have a line in the contract on how you shouldn't do it, but on one cares and they don't differentiate between tethering and other data. If you hit your cap, you hit your cap no matter how. Some of them did try to ban people from using their data to call with Skype or other voip services that competed with the calling part of the business though, but in the end they just gave up and now every carrier offers domestic unlimited calling and messaging on all but the cheapest plans (sub $10).

My carrier is the only one in the US (that I know of) that actually includes tethering in most of their plans; the other major carriers charge a premium for it. There's 4 major carriers in the US at this point (for US goons, I'm lumping MetroPCS in with T-Mobile, since T-Mobile owns them now, even though they still have their legacy CDMA network operating.. for now); there's a handful of regional carriers, then there's a shitload of companies that just resell another carrier's service (usually T-Mobile or AT&T). And like where you're at, pretty much everyone offers unlimited voice/text at this point.

I'm kind of tempted to hook my laptop up and stream Netflix all night, and see if PDANet is doing its job at hiding tethering usage. My plan resets in a few hours anyway (I think at midnight Pacific time, so I have almost 3 hours); the worst that'll happen is they'll shut off the tethering. They don't offer a way to see how much data I've used that was done via tethering, but the phone does.

Actually gently caress it, I just fired up HBO GO on the laptop, while tethered, with tethering usage supposedly hidden by PDANet. :getin:

meatpimp posted:

TeamViewer on the computers of your parents and family that rely on you for such a thing is a godsend.

This. It's on every PC in the house. It really makes it so much easier to work on the media center PCs in particular after everyone has gone to bed, since they're in bedrooms (and one lacks a keyboard/mouse).

Tide posted:

I am not looking forward to tomatoes. Sorority I have not had this much to dock in a while.

Normally not much on memes, but seems pretty appropriate :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 1, 2015

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Not a drat thing because I didn't get beer earlier, and I didn't feel like stopping at 10:30 at night because I'm pretty sure they stop selling it at 10. drat Baptists and their blue books :argh:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
STR, you sexy fixing beast, don't meme me

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I don't drink much, if at all now, but I've had 3 glasses of scotch so far and I'm still not Tide drunk.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

QuarkMartial posted:

Not a drat thing because I didn't get beer earlier, and I didn't feel like stopping at 10:30 at night because I'm pretty sure they stop selling it at 10. drat Baptists and their blue books :argh:

I just had a random thought.

My car's original owner is from Salt Lake City (I'm the second owner, as far as I can tell from Carfax, though Carfax claims 3 - it got a Texas title a few days/less than 100 miles before it got traded in though). Over 59% of the residents of that city are Mormon, according to Google. That means there's a reasonable chance that the original owner was Mormon.

There's been a bit of gay sexytime in this car since I've owned it. :quagmire: Up until fairly recently, The Church of LDS was pretty opposed to homosexual activity (and is still against same-sex intercourse).

Tide posted:

STR, you sexy fixing beast, don't meme me

Too late. :haw:

Fixing? Almost looks like you tried to type fisting, and autocorrect took over. That's one thing I can't say I want to try.

mafoose posted:

I don't drink much, if at all now, but I've had 3 glasses of scotch so far and I'm still not Tide drunk.

I drink too much; thanks to the tolerance I have, it would probably take at least a fifth of whiskey to get me remotely close to that drunk.

And he's going to hate life tomorrow tomato.

some texas redneck posted:

I'm kind of tempted to hook my laptop up and stream Netflix all night, and see if PDANet is doing its job at hiding tethering usage. My plan resets in a few hours anyway (I think at midnight Pacific time, so I have almost 3 hours); the worst that'll happen is they'll shut off the tethering. They don't offer a way to see how much data I've used that was done via tethering, but the phone does.

Actually gently caress it, I just fired up HBO GO on the laptop, while tethered, with tethering usage supposedly hidden by PDANet. :getin:

Well gently caress. The data usage reset at midnight local time, but I got it from 13.1 to over 15 gigs in a hurry. I always thought it went by pacific time, since anytime I was late on a payment (prepaid account, so if I'm late, it gets shut off), the phone would crap out around 2-3am. I'm going to finish this documentary (which is probably going to land me on a government watchlist, it's about Edward Snowden :ninja: ), and see if it kills my tethering for the month. It has 45 minutes left, and I'm sure I can find another documentary on HBO's website to test this out.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 1, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tide posted:

I have no idea.

I love you.

lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

Fixing? Almost looks like you tried to type fisting, and autocorrect took over. That's one thing I can't say I want to try.

I drink too much; thanks to the tolerance I have, it would probably take at least a fifth of whiskey to get me remotely close to that drunk.

And he's going to hate life tomorrow tomato.

1. same. but too late to say that
2. yeaaaaaaahhhhhh I can outdrink russian tanks.

and still blow artillery as often!

• Locked thread