Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

FooF posted:

This has probably been answered before but is there a reason why every time I try to hit "load game" it crashes to desktop? I can't save anything. :(

Do you have old saves in there? Anything before .65.2 uses a different save system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Unreal_One posted:

Do you have old saves in there? Anything before .65.2 uses a different save system.

Welp, that fixed it. Cleaned out the old saves and no crashes. Thanks.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I haven't played this game in something like 6 months, is there a link to a list of changes I could troll through while at work to see what I can expect to see when I get back into it?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

^ You'd have to go to the official site and read release blogposts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dd4uqcGPPg

I dont like how this mission is largely decided by how the enemy admiral AI moves its ships, but its really satisfying when you win it. Also somehow managed to avoid the 30+ harpoons that usually have to be shot down or tanked this time

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I dont like how this mission is largely decided by how the enemy admiral AI moves its ships, but its really satisfying when you win it. Also somehow managed to avoid the 30+ harpoons that usually have to be shot down or tanked this time

That mission looked like a lot of fun. Reminds me of the one with Paragon vs ton of stuff, or how my every onslaught run ends up :v:

And holly poo poo, I just noticed that Karkinos jump ability is based on mouse location and not on momentum like most jump powers in the game, that kinda changes everything. No wonder I had so much trouble with it, will have to give it another try then. Maybe will try to figure out Nevermore again also.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

That's the first time I've ever seen a Dominator successfully run from something. :v:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

chami posted:

That's the first time I've ever seen a Dominator successfully run from something. :v:

That fucker.

quote:

And holly poo poo, I just noticed that Karkinos jump ability is based on mouse location and not on momentum like most jump powers in the game, that kinda changes everything. No wonder I had so much trouble with it, will have to give it another try then. Maybe will try to figure out Nevermore again also.

The ship system I used as a basis is the Hyperion's teleport, so it's targeted in the same way.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
A teleport that deals huge damage and puts an extremely heavily armed battleship right next to an enemy's flank isn't very balanced, but it is the coolest thing in this entire game. The Karkinos is like a self-propelled Command & Conquer superweapon.

I wish the vanilla ships were as well designed as the Blackrock ships. The Karkinos is what the Paragon should have been.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
The Karkinos's jump ability is actually pretty balanced once you realize something; That the Karkinos's armor is honestly kind of bad. So bad jumps get it killed pretty fast. It has enough firepower to backhand anything that comes near it, but if it does a bad jump and ends up surrounded it folds hilariously fast. Said jump also has a really long cd.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
It would be less powerful if AI ships knew how to stay in formation and protect each other. Then you could only use it on the flanks of their fleet.

I think this game would be amazing as a Total War-style strategy game. I don't know how far the whole RPG thing can take it, and things like burn speed and logistic costs mostly just serve as annoyances when you only control one fleet.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Mercrom posted:

It would be less powerful if AI ships knew how to stay in formation and protect each other. Then you could only use it on the flanks of their fleet.

Thats kinda what they're trying to do, what they should have done instead is fan out on a multiple pronged intercept maneuver. When they do that or when the support frigs dont die at the start, you do eat a huge punisment for venting or jumping at some point and just lose.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Mercrom posted:

I think this game would be amazing as a Total War-style strategy game. I don't know how far the whole RPG thing can take it, and things like burn speed and logistic costs mostly just serve as annoyances when you only control one fleet.

That'd be pretty cool. Building up fleets, perhaps being limited to certain ship types/quality depending on the systems you own. I'd like to start as a rag-tag pirate group and then slowly gobble up systems.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DFlux posted:

The Karkinos's jump ability is actually pretty balanced once you realize something; That the Karkinos's armor is honestly kind of bad. So bad jumps get it killed pretty fast. It has enough firepower to backhand anything that comes near it, but if it does a bad jump and ends up surrounded it folds hilariously fast. Said jump also has a really long cd.

Quoted for truth. The Karkinos may look like an Onslaught, but its armour is pretty much tissue paper compared to other capitals. You will almost certainly kill what you try to shank, but no exit strategy will send you to join them in short order. I tried using a Karkinos like a line battleship and lost it in about 10s flat.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Well, it's still got capital-grade armor, but it's worse than the other battleships. Onslaught armor is 1750, Karkinos armor is 1300, Paragon armor is 1500. The thing about armor is that it gets exponentially better once you reach a certain level where smaller chunks of damage won't remove individual armor cells easily, so 1300 vs 1750 is actually a big deal. It's especially noticeable versus "chip" anti armor weapons like the ACG, LAG, LRMs, harpoons, annihilators etc.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Just got back into this game, and I'm trying to do the pirate's life.

Dumb, I know, but I'm having so much fun scurrying around after every possible target, and it really feels like a different game when played from this side of the fence. Different priorities and capabilities and all that.

Acquired a Silverfish last night, and it's a great little ship, nifty and fast, but enough guts that it can take on an Alastor (Or whatever the mini-eagle is) and distract it forever allowing a kill shot from me.

Really wish I had the patience to sit down and learn a little about modding the game, seems you can do some really cool stuff with it according to what I've seen from past and current mods.

A grateful shout-out to the goons who put time into modding and improving the game for ingrates like me!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I have a blast playing a pirate, although I'm careful not to antagonize everyone. I made a shitload of money smuggling food, supplies, and weapons to the revolutionary base on Umbra, and that both got me up to friendly with the pirate faction and made the Diktat hate me, so it seemed fairly logical to go from blockade-running supplies to the rebels to raiding Diktat trade fleets and selling their poo poo to the rebels. I eventually progressed to raiding Tri-Tachyon trade fleets too after I found one carrying food during a food shortage on the planet, and now I pirate both pretty regularly. I haven't interacted with the Cult of Ludd at all, but I'm on fairly good terms with the Hegemony (I try not to antagonize them too much because they're the nearest reliable source of supplies and fuel, both of which are at a premium on Umbra). Not sure if I'd be able to manage fighting every major faction, but getting stuck in the rebellion against the Diktat is working out pretty well.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, now that I can save I've been a semi-legit trader unloading huge amounts of food during Templar Crusades and such. After getting about 200k in the bank, I started bolstering the trade fleet with frigates/destroyers and attack pirates when there were system-wide bounties. I've bitten off more than I could chew multiple times but replacing ships isn't that hard when you can make 80k per supply run. I still can't pass up huge paydays on recreational drugs, though. Blackrock doesn't care to sell them and I don't mind selling them to pirates for 400% profit. Unfortunately, I'm a bit too greedy because I just became inhospitable to Hegemony but only by a few points.

Playing the economy game and exploiting trade disruptions and famines has been kind of fun but it's simply funding my inevitable dip into bounty hunting and pissing off some of the major factions.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

pirate, Cult of Ludd.

I remember always going against the Luddites when I played, as they're the only sure fire faction to regularly use super freighters in their trade fleets.

This is important because A) Hella supplies and loot, and B) It's an easy way to get one or three for mass loot moving. Super useful as they're usually already carrying a few thousand food in the fleet, so astronomical profits are super easy.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Anyone have a mirror for BRDY and the other plugins to SS+? Mediafire never works well at the best of times, and it's not working at all for me right now.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I encountered a Templar fleet that had gotten really battered and so I swept in to get an "easy" win but I learned that Smiter Teuton wings with a carrier is a pretty crazy combo and that a carrier with 4% CR is perfectly capable of deploying and resupplying fighters all day.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

"Sindria needs 100,000 food!"

:: sells 20,000 food to Sindra ::

"You are responsible for a food glut!"

:confused: The XP was great, but I'm left scratching my head on what I did wrong.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
NPC traders had probably covered about 90,000 units by the time you got there. I've noticed it can take a bit of time for the posted numbers to reflect reality.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Built up a fleet and got rolled twice in a row last night, one right after the other, losing everything.

Whelp, time to start again tonight, and perhaps try a different playstyle.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

McGiggins posted:

Built up a fleet and got rolled twice in a row last night, one right after the other, losing everything.

Whelp, time to start again tonight, and perhaps try a different playstyle.

It can be pretty unforgiving. I came across a valuable bounty flagged by an Apogee. That sucker (with some support) put up a drat good fight against my suped-up Odyssey. I beat them, but many brave space bounty hunters met their fate during the engagement.

adamantium|wang posted:

NPC traders had probably covered about 90,000 units by the time you got there. I've noticed it can take a bit of time for the posted numbers to reflect reality.

The only reason I thought that this might not be the case was that I beat the relief fleet back to the planet and was able to sell before they arrived. :shrug:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Backov posted:

Anyone have a mirror for BRDY

There's one in the logo.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

LLCoolJD posted:

It can be pretty unforgiving. I came across a valuable bounty flagged by an Apogee. That sucker (with some support) put up a drat good fight against my suped-up Odyssey. I beat them, but many brave space bounty hunters met their fate during the engagement.

Any bounty noted for their combat skills is going to be a pretty costly fight, I've found out - you might be able to take them on, but they will absolutely destroy your fleet if you don't occupy them yourself.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

chami posted:

Any bounty noted for their combat skills is going to be a pretty costly fight, I've found out - you might be able to take them on, but they will absolutely destroy your fleet if you don't occupy them yourself.

Nah, the fleet exists solely to grab objectives I don't want to worry about and occupy the juicy targets so I can swoop in and dump some antimatter bolts up their engine nozzles. Everyone else is cannon fodder. Any crew that survive their way past Green earn the right to serve on beefier ships :v:

I may be kinda weird in that I usually don't pilot ships bigger than destroyers. Unless its a Nevermore.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a weird bug with Starsector+. During combat I get massive sprite corruption a minute or two into the battle. The corruption causes all sprite based objects on the screen to constantly repeat and form a solid fan of sorts.

This is on the latest version of Starsector+ (2.6.7), 0.65.rc2, shaderlib 1.05, lazylib and all the update faction mods for starsector+. I've tried playing with Starsector+ disabled and the issue goes away - should I just replace the starsector+ files?

e; Here's a screenshot if that helps

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 6, 2015

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Arrath posted:

I may be kinda weird in that I usually don't pilot ships bigger than destroyers. Unless its a Nevermore.

Nah. Thats fairly common. You can't really do too much other than drift into combat as a Capital, but destroyers can still flank/get objectives and do strategy things. They're also faster, so you get into combat more quickly.

Unless you've got an Odyssey then they are you not piloting it?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

saucepanman posted:

I've got a weird bug with Starsector+. During combat I get massive sprite corruption a minute or two into the battle. The corruption causes all sprite based objects on the screen to constantly repeat and form a solid fan of sorts.

This is on the latest version of Starsector+ (2.6.7), 0.65.rc2, shaderlib 1.05, lazylib and all the update faction mods for starsector+. I've tried playing with Starsector+ disabled and the issue goes away - should I just replace the starsector+ files?

e; Here's a screenshot if that helps

I run into that too with Shaderlib - it doesn't play well with integrated graphics cards. If you're on a laptop make sure you're using the discrete card.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

chami posted:

I run into that too with Shaderlib - it doesn't play well with integrated graphics cards. If you're on a laptop make sure you're using the discrete card.

Danke, will give that a shot.

e; Didn't make a difference :smith:

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 6, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Holy cow this game got fantastic while I wasn't looking. With multiple systems, a more full trade system, and Combat Readiness it's a really great game.

Couple stupid questions though: What do I need to do to reduce the tariffs? I love them, but I can't make any money because of Space Obama the tariffs.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

Holy cow this game got fantastic while I wasn't looking. With multiple systems, a more full trade system, and Combat Readiness it's a really great game.

Couple stupid questions though: What do I need to do to reduce the tariffs? I love them, but I can't make any money because of Space Obama the tariffs.

Right now in the unmodded game you have two options: 1) trade on the black market, and 2) sell food to planets during a famine. Nothing else seems to be worth it most of the time. Some of the pirate planets need you to run them supplies, I think, but I usually make a career out of hunting pirates so I never trade with them.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

saucepanman posted:

Danke, will give that a shot.

e; Didn't make a difference :smith:

Yep, same exact problem here. Pretty sure it's using the 880M, but not sure. I have to tell it to use the discrete card for Java. :)

Ah, my problem was that despite nuking the JRE and making sure the 64bit JRE was on my path, it was using a Java.exe in System or System32 or something.

Fixed now, not that I can really tell a difference.

Backov fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 6, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

My bounty hunter character is barely making a living, I end up spending all my money on supplies to go chase down pirates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Be careful where you buy supplies, markets with high stability will charge a lot for them, as will markets with trade disruption happening.

Ideally you should be buying them for about 50 bucks each, from really unstable decivilised planets.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 6, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Be careful where you buy supplies, markets with high stability will charge a lot for them, as will markets with trade disruption happening.

Ideally you should be buying them for about 50 bucks each, from really unstable decivilised planets.

50 before or after tariffs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

50 before or after tariffs?

Er, maybe before, I generally buy them off the black market on decivilised worlds because there's no chance of an investigation. Might be a bit higher with tariffs but you can get them very very cheap.

Also, your running costs day to day are determined by your crew, keep your crew count as low as possible (installing auto repair on support ships is good for this) and only deploy ships that you need to, each ship deployed in combat will lose a portion of its combat readiness which will need rebuilding. You can, if necessary, tell ships to stop repairing combat readiness in the fleet screen, useful if you're low on supplies after a fight and want to get to port before you run out.

You can see the cost of each deployment in terms of supplies needed to recover all used CR on the left of the ship statistics screen, should be something like "supplies to fully recover" or something.

Also if you win fights really easily, you recover some of the CR used to deploy ships in the battle, which can help with supplies a bit too.

Basically don't get shot, deploy the fewest number of ships you need to, win every fight really easily, and buy supplies as cheap as you can.

I realise that is a verbose way of saying git gud but there you go.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Backov posted:

Yep, same exact problem here. Pretty sure it's using the 880M, but not sure. I have to tell it to use the discrete card for Java. :)

Ah, my problem was that despite nuking the JRE and making sure the 64bit JRE was on my path, it was using a Java.exe in System or System32 or something.

Fixed now, not that I can really tell a difference.

I think I got it working? I freaking hate java.

Thanks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One other neat trick is to buy a dram as soon as you get the chance, the little tanker. It's fast enough to keep pace with most frigates and carries a lot of fuel.

Fuel is good because you don't actually need to use it most of the time, and you will pick it up from most fights. You also will get a quite common event like trade disruption which will push the prices of fuel in markets up by about 100 bucks on the unit, so if you stockpile all the fuel you capture, you can sell it during shortages and make a lot of profit. The other benefit is that it doesn't take up your main cargo hold, and it's useful even if you don't sell it.

You can do a similar thing by buying a few shuttles to bulk out your cargo space but fuel is generally the more valuable commodity. You can buy more little tankers if you like and do fuel trading on the side, it sometimes sells for cheap too if a fuel refinery is having a crisis.