Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

mobby_6kl posted:

The problem is the shape - a plain cylinder, rather than thickness as such. My auto Seiko SNK809 is both smaller and thicker than the G Watch R (~38 vs 45mm diameter and 11 vs 9.7mm) for example (not sure about the Huawei) but it doesn't look disproportionally thick because it's made up of three visual layers, with the bottom one being hidden and the top two breaking up the thickness:

And now compare and contrast:

That first picture looks like a much thicker watch to me because of the "busy-ness" and the last two pictures are not at the same angle. If the last picture was at the same angle as the first you'd be able to see the whole bottom beveled "layer".

I mean, I'm not saying that the plain cylinder vs multiple layers thing isn't correct...maybe it is, but none of those pictures support that point to my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Next-Gen posted:

The verge and engadget both have hands-on with the two watches. The huawei looks amazing to me, while the urbane is just a more refined version of the same GWR. Less bezel, bigger screen with a higher resolution than the GWR.

Oh, and the LTE variant has an even bigger bezel than the standard urbane. Like, mega big.

To be clear the Urbane LTE is the one I like the looks of, not a fan of the regular Urbane. They are quite different. Huawei is nice, good if you don't have a smart watch yet, but I'm not gonna sell my GWR for it. I don't think the GWR is an amazing looking watch either, just the best AW watch available at the time.

But this is sexy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tl96Dil76c

And after seeing it in motion I'm more interested. Very slick UI. Although I think I'll just wait for an Android Wear watch that looks that nice - I don't have faith in LG to ever update the software and I don't need more than what AW provides. I've already experienced a Tizen watch and don't want to paint myself into a corner again.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Reverse Centaur posted:

But this is sexy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tl96Dil76c

And after seeing it in motion I'm more interested. Very slick UI. Although I think I'll just wait for an Android Wear watch that looks that nice - I don't have faith in LG to ever update the software and I don't need more than what AW provides. I've already experienced a Tizen watch and don't want to paint myself into a corner again.

Running apps, rubber strap, HR, music, ability to make an emergency call. God if this has Slacker and/or Pandora and I can add it to my AT&T plan for a reasonable price ($10 a month or less) I am all loving over this. $500-$800, maybe more, sold, especially if AT&T will finance them through their stupid good zero APR program. Seriously if this has solid running apps/sunlight readable display they are going to sell a shitload of these.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

I don't mean to burst you guys' bubbles, but the Urbane LTE is only scheduled to be sold in Korea right now. Might be able to import it, but who knows what bands it supports.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Next-Gen posted:

I don't mean to burst you guys' bubbles, but the Urbane LTE is only scheduled to be sold in Korea right now. Might be able to import it, but who knows what bands it supports.

Which is why the interface is in English and they already teased it with Audi? AT&T is almost certain to get this, they are BFFs with LG and love this kind of weird poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

That first picture looks like a much thicker watch to me because of the "busy-ness" and the last two pictures are not at the same angle. If the last picture was at the same angle as the first you'd be able to see the whole bottom beveled "layer".

I mean, I'm not saying that the plain cylinder vs multiple layers thing isn't correct...maybe it is, but none of those pictures support that point to my eye.

The first picture looks like a much thicker watch because it is, at least compared to the G Watch R. It's just supposed to show how the watch is made from the profile view.

While I didn't nail the angle exactly there, the point is that the bottom part (rotor housing/back cover) would not be typically visible from normal viewing positions. A hockey puck strapped to the wrist, however, will look like a hockey puck from any angle. I'll put together some 3d renderings and mathematical proofs when I have some time :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Next-Gen posted:

Must be nice to live in a country where smart watches are for sale. :canada: I imported my GWR from South Korea and my Moto 360 from America. Moto 360 only recently started showing up in tiny numbers domestically and GWR is still not available as far as I know. Samsung's watches are the only ones that are sold in stores here really.

fake edit: just checked, $450 is the going rate for G Watch Rs on Amazon.ca right now. Third party sellers of course. I paid $330 for mine on Korean day one. Cdn exchange rate has plummeted 20 cents since then, though, so future watch imports are more difficult to justify.

fake edit 2: and lol at actually using the LTE feature, I don't have an extra $50 per month for that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

fake edit 2: and lol at actually using the LTE feature, I don't have an extra $50 per month for that.

I mean it's not really LG's fault that cellular in Canada sucks so bad, I have a 15 gig plan, tablet costs me $10 more a month, other connected devices are in the same range.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

I mean it's not really LG's fault that cellular in Canada sucks so bad, I have a 15 gig plan, tablet costs me $10 more a month, other connected devices are in the same range.

Yeah that comment was more of a rant about our carriers. Even the PS Vita 3G access was $15 per month for 250mb.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
New Pebble Steel revealed on the Kickstarter page. Main differences from the standard model are a fully stainless steel body, different front bezel design (thinner metal bezel, but the screen is the same size), comes with a leather and a metal band, and has a slightly bigger battery (~10 days vs. ~7). Not really worth the premium to me personally, I'll likely just get a matching metal band for the regular one I backed. Even longer battery life is pretty nice though.

They also talk about the accessory functions possible utilizing the port on the back, though nothing really different from what was already known/assumed. Its a two-way data/power interface, they might make their own "smartstraps" to do stuff with it, but for now they're releasing the 3D model of the adapter and letting others hack together their own ideas. Sounds like the kind of thing that will be a novelty if you have access to a 3D printer and some basic EE knowledge until Pebble themselves (or another company with manufacturing capability) release something official.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 3, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Still ugly

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just backed it. July is a long time away :(

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

sirbeefalot posted:

New Pebble Steel revealed on the Kickstarter page. Main differences from the standard model are a fully stainless steel body, different front bezel design (thinner metal bezel, but the screen is the same size), comes with a leather and a metal band, and has a slightly bigger battery (~10 days vs. ~7). Not really worth the premium to me personally, I'll likely just get a matching metal band for the regular one I backed. Even longer battery life is pretty nice though.

I agree - since the body looks mostly the same (at least outwardly), and you can bring your own band in either case, I'm not sure I'd pay a 50% 40% price premium for a few more days' battery life when the current solution for charging even on the original Pebble is still pretty good.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 3, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SpelledBackwards posted:

I agree - since the body looks mostly the same (at least outwardly), and you can bring your own band in either case, I'm not sure I'd pay a 50% price premium for a few more days' battery life when the current solution for charging even on the original Pebble is still pretty good.

I backed it because I fully intend on ebaying it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Microsoft Band updated again to add support for Map My Fitness (which is crippled on Windows Phone) and Microsoft Health Vault (finally).

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Does anyone know a todo app that works with Android Wear? Todoist does, but you have to manually push to the watch.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

booshi posted:

Does anyone know a todo app that works with Android Wear? Todoist does, but you have to manually push to the watch.

Depends on what you want. Google Keep works on the watch and you can create checkable lists. That's about as much todo as I ever do.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
So was anyone else surprised at the lack of wearable news at MWC? I thought we were supposed to hear about a lot more smart watches at the show.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Saddamnit posted:

So was anyone else surprised at the lack of wearable news at MWC? I thought we were supposed to hear about a lot more smart watches at the show.

Yes, very much. I'm very into the Urbane LTE but MediaTEK said they started shipping Wear specific chips in volume quite a bit ago so I figured we would start seeing true second gen Wear watches at MWC. I guess we will start seeing them at Google Developer thing?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Saddamnit posted:

http://whatthefuckismywearablestrategy.com/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I appreciate that they have a specific message for those who browse without Javascript enabled.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Maybe plans backed down once Apple announced a date so that they can create clever ads mocking it's shortcomings while gracefully brushing over their own?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Depends on what you want. Google Keep works on the watch and you can create checkable lists. That's about as much todo as I ever do.

That works okay, but I don't seem to see any of my keep notes without launching the app on the watch. I'd like it to be another card if possible. Also due dates (unless Keep does this but I don't see that it does).

I just don't get why Todoist decided to only allow manual pushing of data. What's the point then?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I forgot to charge my GWR overnight for the first time ever, put it on at 8am with 16%, and it still lasted until 3:45pm. Not bad, LG.

On the other hand, the nexus 6's super sensitive always-on "OK Google" recognition makes everything gently caress up. Worked much better on my note 3.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

Anyone have any thoughts on Garmin's Vivoactive? I'm looking for a somewhat rugged smart watch I can use during my outdoor activities and not worry about breaking. I was also considering the Epix but it's too big for my skinny wrist. Plus I'm a golfer so the golf app on the Vivoactive is definitely appealing to me.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Im still not sold on them but I know I will buy one eventually. I will wait though for 1-2 years to pass and get a few generations behind them first them Ill be all over them. Unsure which brand but wont be apple.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Back in November, I bought a Samsung Gear Live. Loved it, had no problems, and the battery life issue was mitigated by not having the screen on all the time (how can that be?!)

However, in the last week or so, the charging cradle has broken. I now need to strap the damned thing to the watch with a rubber band. See, there's this little tab, maybe .5mm wide, that is meant to latch onto the back of the watch. It's worn away through just using it normally.

So, you'd think that this would be something that would be covered under warranty, right? Nope! I am apparently at fault for using the charge cradle the way it was intended, and will have to pay for it to be fixed! There's even some minor damage to the socket the tab clicked into. Hooray!

This is a known issue, and if I had bought this watch off Google Play, I'd be able to get a refund now. However, I bought it at the only Samsung store in Edmonton, and I may be hosed. I'm going to head back to the store again tomorrow, and see if I can get a refund. I see people referencing the Sales and Goods act, but I'm in Canada, so I need to dig up the relevant info. Oh boy.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Saddamnit posted:

At, or from? Because I was there and I couldn't see the time for all the smartwatches. Everyone had 5 watches and 10 fitness trackers.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I asked earlier about a basic heart rate monitor, and ended up grabbing the Sosche Rhythm+.

So far it works well for what I need (basic heart rate monitor) and I felt it was a good compromise for my situation; chest straps were a pain with a weight vest, and a watch *might* have been an issue with wrist straps.

I'm currently using Wahoo fitness to record my workouts. Is that the best program for basic recording? Is there a consensus on the best app for visual tracking repeat workouts? Preferably subscription free.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

gschmidl posted:

At, or from? Because I was there and I couldn't see the time for all the smartwatches. Everyone had 5 watches and 10 fitness trackers.

I just didn't see much news about new watches at MWC so I just assumed there wasn't much at the show. I'm in the market for a smart watch right now but the products that are currently available don't really appeal to me. I was hoping a bunch of new products would be announced at the show to give me better selection. Did you see anything in particular that looked cool but wasn't covered by the usual tech blogs?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TwystNeko posted:

Back in November, I bought a Samsung Gear Live. Loved it, had no problems, and the battery life issue was mitigated by not having the screen on all the time (how can that be?!)

However, in the last week or so, the charging cradle has broken. I now need to strap the damned thing to the watch with a rubber band. See, there's this little tab, maybe .5mm wide, that is meant to latch onto the back of the watch. It's worn away through just using it normally.

So, you'd think that this would be something that would be covered under warranty, right? Nope! I am apparently at fault for using the charge cradle the way it was intended, and will have to pay for it to be fixed! There's even some minor damage to the socket the tab clicked into. Hooray!

This is a known issue, and if I had bought this watch off Google Play, I'd be able to get a refund now. However, I bought it at the only Samsung store in Edmonton, and I may be hosed. I'm going to head back to the store again tomorrow, and see if I can get a refund. I see people referencing the Sales and Goods act, but I'm in Canada, so I need to dig up the relevant info. Oh boy.

I know this doesn't help you specifically, but I'd like to remind everyone to make purchases of this nature with a credit card, especially a card that provides some purchase protection. If you aren't familiar with the cards you have, take a moment and check their policies. You'd be surprised how helpful they can be.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I know this doesn't help you specifically, but I'd like to remind everyone to make purchases of this nature with a credit card, especially a card that provides some purchase protection. If you aren't familiar with the cards you have, take a moment and check their policies. You'd be surprised how helpful they can be.

Sadly, I don't do the credit thing. Don't own a card, and don't really plan on it. But you're right.

And of course, the store can't do anything. So I get to yell at some poor phone dude until they get me a supervisor, and I'll go from there.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

TwystNeko posted:

Sadly, I don't do the credit thing. Don't own a card, and don't really plan on it.

Have fun never getting a house dummy.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Whizbang posted:

Or signing up for any utility (electricity, gas, cable, etc). Or health insurance. Or a rental car. Or... I digress, it's just really silly in the era of a credit based economy.

I've been loving my Moto 360, I find it amazing the difference in battery life/performance since I purchased it on launch day. It's one of the few pieces of technology I've had in recent years that has positive movement in those categories as it gets updated. Only thing I'm not such a fan of is the discoloration I've had with the black leather band, I guess I need to get some some sort of cleaner or conditioner for it?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What is the threads' thoughts on the Misfit brand? I am looking at getting my wife a Misfit shine just as an activity tracker.
http://misfit.com/products/shine

If I get a decent catering tip, I am thinking of going with this style which is more of a jewelry style.
https://www.swarovski.com/Mob_US/en/promotion?CatalogCategoryName=91275&SetIncludeCookies=true

Is the Misfit brand a good brand?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What is the threads' thoughts on the Misfit brand? I am looking at getting my wife a Misfit shine just as an activity tracker.
http://misfit.com/products/shine

If I get a decent catering tip, I am thinking of going with this style which is more of a jewelry style.
https://www.swarovski.com/Mob_US/en/promotion?CatalogCategoryName=91275&SetIncludeCookies=true

Is the Misfit brand a good brand?

My mom and boss both really liked their Misfit Flashes and both broke/were lost and they bought another wearable. So thumbs up for cheap, effective and replaceable.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Whizbang posted:

Many banks and credit unions do manual underwriting. I bought my first house with a credit score of zero.

Same goes for utilities, health insurance, etc. I mean you've definitely got to do more footwork, but the idea that you have to have a credit score is a myth.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fatal posted:

Or signing up for any utility (electricity, gas, cable, etc). Or health insurance. Or a rental car. Or... I digress, it's just really silly in the era of a credit based economy.

I've been loving my Moto 360, I find it amazing the difference in battery life/performance since I purchased it on launch day. It's one of the few pieces of technology I've had in recent years that has positive movement in those categories as it gets updated. Only thing I'm not such a fan of is the discoloration I've had with the black leather band, I guess I need to get some some sort of cleaner or conditioner for it?

Take it to a nice shoe repair store. They will set you up. A jewelry store too, but it'll be more expensive there for the same thing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MJBuddy posted:

My mom and boss both really liked their Misfit Flashes and both broke/were lost and they bought another wearable. So thumbs up for cheap, effective and replaceable.

I too had a flash that broke, although from a small tumble, but it only cost me $25 (they were running a half-off sale I guess) so really, I'm not too mad.

The fitness tracking was pretty good but the Android app sucks. I couldn't pull any meaningful data out of it, although the iOS app looked way more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lenovo may have leaked the Moto 360 2

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/19/lenovos-ceo-may-have-just-outed-the-new-moto-360/

Looks like they moved the band to outer lugs. That also seems to allow them to make the watch a bid more modular in so they can offer different band sizes and bezel sizes a bit more easily. This is probably going to factor into Moto Maker more. I just wonder if the outer bezel is something that will be user replaceable (say want to swap a stainless steel watch for a black one.) It would be neat if the inner watch module is swappable. Even better if they keep it so that later versions are compatible. That way you could upgrade and keep the same accessories.