Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Fiji water is sketch as gently caress http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji_Water

'In November 2010, Fiji deported Fiji Water director of external affairs, David Roth, for "interfering in Fiji's domestic affairs,"'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I care about the environment that's why I drink this water from North America's antipode

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vicas posted:

What i don't understand is that this dude is clearly in a pretty decent car whose brand they do everything they can to obscure, but, like, isn't the whole point of this ad campaign that Buicks used to be these lovely looking old people cars

Yeah, I think that's pretty much the only thing worse than actually mentioning your competitors by name, and both GM and Chrysler seem to love doing it.

"Honest, we're not poo poo anymore!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I think that's pretty much the only thing worse than actually mentioning your competitors by name, and both GM and Chrysler seem to love doing it.

"Honest, we're not poo poo anymore!"

It worked for Domino's, because it was pretty clever and they actually did make a tangible improvement on their pizza from "loving terrible" to "incredibly mediocre but works if you're desperate."

The car companies, though, Jesus.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hate that little Buick jingle almost as much as Lexus and their whole...everything about Lexus.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Timby posted:

It worked for Domino's, because it was pretty clever and they actually did make a tangible improvement on their pizza from "loving terrible" to "incredibly mediocre but works if you're desperate."

The car companies, though, Jesus.

The Ford "swap your ride" ads seemed to be a lot better while getting a similar message across.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
speaking of auto ads...

let's put the same guy in front of a pickup and a boring sedan and ask TOTALLY REAL people what they think

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That one pissed me off for a silly reason: they made the truck red. People are drawn to the color red, it's dynamic and suggests power. You replace the truck with the same car, but color it red? People'd choose the red one over the one that was it muted blue/silver.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I just want to see the one where they put it up against a sports car or even a BMW or something.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

spoon0042 posted:

speaking of auto ads...

let's put the same guy in front of a pickup and a boring sedan and ask TOTALLY REAL people what they think

Those commercials get me real mad. They're so loving awful.

"Hey get this car and people won't think you suck dick you loving human being."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TontoCorazon posted:

Those commercials get me real mad. They're so loving awful.

"Hey get this car and people won't think you suck dick you loving human being."

Gosh, I better get the redneckmobile, I wouldn't want second graders to make assumptions about the kind of pets I have!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I sincerely hope that sprint is losing obscene amounts of money from the loving narwhal commercial, but unfortunately I doubt it

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

spoon0042 posted:

speaking of auto ads...

Yes, this. Chevy just completely dropped any pretense of subtlety and went straight for HEY SHITBRAIN IF YOU DON'T DRIVE A CHEVY PICKUP CHILDREN WILL MOCK YOU AND WOMEN WILL SHUN YOU YOU NEEDLE DICKED human being

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
The thing that pisses me off most about that commercial is it's the same picture of the guy, so no one would react that way.

"Which of these two guys would you rather go out with?"

"...that's the same guy."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hazo posted:

Yes, this. Chevy just completely dropped any pretense of subtlety and went straight for HEY SHITBRAIN IF YOU DON'T DRIVE A CHEVY PICKUP CHILDREN WILL MOCK YOU AND WOMEN WILL SHUN YOU YOU NEEDLE DICKED human being

ALSO OTHER MEN WILL ASSUME YOU ARE JUST A LIMP WRISTED FAG WHO CANT EVEN SHAKE HANDS LIKE A MAN

dirksteadfast posted:

The thing that pisses me off most about that commercial is it's the same picture of the guy, so no one would react that way.

It's not even an attractive guy, it's clear they used that person so potential customers could project their own mid-life crises on him.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

raditts posted:

Gosh, I better get the redneckmobile, I wouldn't want second graders to make assumptions about the kind of pets I have!

That was my first thought. I live in the goddamn bay area, and the only people around here who drive trucks are fancy landscapers and middle managers who want to play at cowboy. So put some otherwise clean-cut, non-toothless guy in a polo shirt in front of a Prius and I'll say he looks like a normal guy. Put him in front of a pickup truck and I see a guy who looks like he's over-compensating for something.

Seriously, car companies, if you're not one of the companies that doesn't need to advertise, like Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Maserati, no one gives a flying gently caress what you drive, regardless of the state of your ironic hipster facial hair.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

dirksteadfast posted:

They wouldn't show both pictures to the same focus group at the same time. They would show the pictures to 2 different focus groups, or show the two pictures at different times, or show both pictures at the same time, but one of the pictures is of a different guy.
Any one of these options would add credibility to their fake "study".
But, no. They hold up 2 pictures of the same guy, standing next to two different vehicles: 1st picture, a lovely econo-box, 2nd picture a big ol' mud-thrashin', back woods, off-roadin' pick-em up truck. Which guy is cooler/more manly/has a bigger dick?

Why not ask "which guy is a racist homophobe/slaps his wife around when drunk/obsessed with guns/Thinks WWF wrestling is real/would blow up an abortion clinic?"

Can we just stop with the completely fake scripted focus group study commercials already, though? It's fake. And scripted. Stop with the street interview "which one would you choose?" bullshit. There are WAY too many of these.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nerdfest X posted:

Can we just stop with the completely fake scripted focus group study commercials already, though? It's fake. And scripted. Stop with the street interview "which one would you choose?" bullshit. There are WAY too many of these.

Also, a desperate attempt to create a viral meme never, ever works. I'm lookin' at you, narwhales.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nerdfest X posted:

Why not ask "which guy is a racist homophobe/slaps his wife around when drunk/obsessed with guns/Thinks WWF wrestling is real/would blow up an abortion clinic?"
That's my reaction. I really wonder how many answers of "well, that dude's probably on the way to a lynching" ended up on the editing room floor.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DerekSmartymans posted:

Also, a desperate attempt to create a viral meme never, ever works. I'm lookin' at you, narwhales.

It's an excerpt from a 6 year old flash video.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That guy from the h&r block commercial looks exactly like the kind of banker gently caress that almost bankrupted this country.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yall mentioned that lovely Buick ad where the girl gets in the wrong car, my question is about the crossover wagon they show afterwards.

Why would you put a model car in a gray/white room with great lighting... and have the car be turd rear end brown? :psyduck:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Riptor posted:

Fairly common in New England actually, especially Maine. But your point stands

I was a regular MAD reader as a kid and almost fell over in shock the first time I saw a bottle of Moxie in a store in Rhode Island. I had no idea it was ever a real thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Seriously, car companies, if you're not one of the companies that doesn't need to advertise, like Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Maserati, no one gives a flying gently caress what you drive, regardless of the state of your ironic hipster facial hair.

If products are essentially identical that makes advertising more important.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, in this Toyota commercial one of the actors keeps saying hashtag while touching the first two fingers on each hand together to make a hashtag symbol.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Every time someone says "hashtag" in real life, it makes me want to hit them in the loving face.

And if you refer to the # symbol itself as a hashtag, you need a beating. It's a hash, that's why it and whatever drivel it's attached to is called a "hashtag" together. If the symbol itself were a hashtag, then it'd be called a hashtagtag and that's just retarded.

I'm angry, angry about social media!!!!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
angry about the natural evolution of a language too

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PT6A posted:

Every time someone says "hashtag" in real life, it makes me want to hit them in the loving face.

And if you refer to the # symbol itself as a hashtag, you need a beating. It's a hash, that's why it and whatever drivel it's attached to is called a "hashtag" together. If the symbol itself were a hashtag, then it'd be called a hashtagtag and that's just retarded.

I'm angry, angry about social media!!!!

It's an octothorpe, and don't you fergit'it :colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
To this day, it'll always be the goddamn pound sign to me. At least in the context of touchtone phones.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

That, too. Octothorpe sounds cooler, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You Are A Elf posted:

It's an octothorpe, and don't you fergit'it :colbert:

That or pound sign are acceptable too. Poundtag would not be, it would be very bad indeed.

Edit: I suppose number sign would also be acceptable.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's a hash used to tag a message, why oh why was it dubbed "hashtag" I do not understand you kids today with your onlines and beep boop gizmos.

Language evolves, sorry I guess?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Next time I need to be an out of touch old man I'll refer to it as a tic-tac-toe grid

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sash! posted:

Next time I need to be an out of touch old man I'll refer to it as a tic-tac-toe grid

Call it a naughts-and-crosses grid for old out of touch foreign man styling.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Riptor posted:

Fairly common in New England actually, especially Maine. But your point stands

I tried a Grape Nehi (which I had heard about from MASH) and a Moxie on the same day. The Nehi was unbearably sweet and the Moxie tasted like spiced mop water. I learned my lesson to never drink olden time pop* from there on out.

* Except for Dublin Dr. Pepper and Cel-Ray. Those are great.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

I tried a Grape Nehi (which I had heard about from MASH) and a Moxie on the same day. The Nehi was unbearably sweet and the Moxie tasted like spiced mop water. I learned my lesson to never drink olden time pop* from there on out.

* Except for Dublin Dr. Pepper and Cel-Ray. Those are great.

Grape Nehi is nasty.

Orange Nehi, on the other hand, is pretty choice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

It's a hash used to tag a message, why oh why was it dubbed "hashtag" I do not understand you kids today with your onlines and beep boop gizmos.

Exactly. It's a hash used to tag a message. This is "ATM Machine" all over again, dammit!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

PT6A posted:

Exactly. It's a hash used to tag a message. This is "ATM Machine" all over again, dammit!

What wrong with an ATM Machine? It's where you use your PIN Number.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

The Merkinman posted:

What wrong with an ATM Machine? It's where you use your PIN Number.

ATM already contains the word machine. Automated Teller Machine. So it's like saying Automated Teller Machine Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Pierce and Pierce posted:

ATM already contains the word machine. Automated Teller Machine. So it's like saying Automated Teller Machine Machine.

Look up PIN.