Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Steve Vizsla I agree but if you want to discuss something about the ep, then start a discussion. There are plenty of people who would be willing to engage with you. Your only two posts this week were to complain. Post what you want to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I still can't believe Jeff claimed the 50 piece would take the same amount of time as the 5 piece puzzle.

Maybe if the 50 piece puzzle was numbered instead of being a phrase, it would have been far easier and on par with that 5 piece.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Golbez posted:

can we bring back Jonathan Penner please :allears:

Yes, this is the best part about Cook Islands and the people forgetting him are skipping by far the best character on the cast. Ozzie was poo poo, Yul cheated, and everyone else had their head up their rear end but Penner knew to come out and entertain and that's what got him brought back twice.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SweetJahasus posted:

Yes, this is the best part about Cook Islands and the people forgetting him are skipping by far the best character on the cast. Ozzie was poo poo, Yul cheated, and everyone else had their head up their rear end but Penner knew to come out and entertain and that's what got him brought back twice.

It's not Yuls fault that his immunity idol was so OP. I thought he played a hell of a game and was able to use his HII more effectively by not playing it than playing it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I thought he played a hell of a game and was able to use his HII more effectively by not playing it than playing it.

That's because you don't play it until the votes have already been read and you get the most. So it's not like it was some strategy; he would have played it at the first opportunity.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

blue squares posted:

That's because you don't play it until the votes have already been read and you get the most. So it's not like it was some strategy; he would have played it at the first opportunity.

There was definitely some strategy. In the previous season, Terry went into the merge in almost the exact same situation as Yul (with the overpowered idol, leading an alliance of 4 against a majority alliance). Yul quickly and aggresively used the idol to flip votes and gain a majority; Terry denied he even had it for half the merge and just watched one by one as his alliance got voted out with seemingly no plan other than "well, if they ever do vote for me, I guess I'll be safe for a week????"

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

How many people have gotten on Survivor due to doing some academic thing about Survivor (e.g. a class or paper)? I know of Cochran and the professor from this season, but is there anyone else? I'm a PhD student at an elite school, and could (without too much difficulty) get a reasonable stats/machine learning paper published about Survivor (because it would be an example application of something else I've been working on). Such a paper would take time and would be unlikely to be cited though... how much would it increase my chances of being cast on Survivor (were I to someday entertain the idea of applying)?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

They want good TV first. Publishing a paper may make you stand out in the very early rounds, but if you aren't the right person for TV, it's not going to get you on the show.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I actually JUST finished rewatching that season and I totally agree that Jonathan was the best part. He got a lot of poo poo for flipping twice, but I think both times he was totally justified. In both cases, in the previous tribal council he scraped by by a single vote. Had he not flipped he was going home next both times, ESPECIALLY the second time knowing about Yul's idol dooming him. I think his only mistake was being a little too cocky when things worked out for him and alienated his original tribe he rejoined....he was always losing the other guys to their rage at losing, but he could have made final 5 if he hadn't pissed off EVERYONE right after flipping back.

Yul played an incredible game before the idol was even relevant, and he didn't even tell his own alliance until he used it to flip Jonathan back. I just also liked him on a personal level, it was refreshing to have a very well-spoken and insightful player whose head isn't buried up his own rear end. His confessionals were always really enjoyable, he almost never talked about himself or his ego and was able to very objectively dissect the game and see it from every angle. I think he played a very diplomatic game and I could see him working everyone incredibly hard at every reward to make sure he was universally liked.

Jonathan was similar in a lot of ways, he's also very obviously intelligent, but he played much more emotionally. I'm pretty sure if I was on the island I would be him, though, raging at all the kids expecting the experience to be a vacation where they just flirt and sleep and do challenges. I'd forgotten how much I loathed Parvati.....

I think someone during the final tribal nailed it in saying Yul and Ozzie both played phenomenal games in completely opposite ways (and other chick was completely loving useless in every way), so the final vote was perfectly fair. They each earned half of the win, but Yul did slightly better at playing the overall game and not just being really good at challenges, but I would have been totally fine if that last vote forced a tie (and I'm curious what they would do in that case, somehow that has never come up).

Final thought: That fire tie-breaker at the end is the moment I fell in love with Jeff Probst way back when. It was when I first realized how much he really loves this game and that his hatred for those women for not being able to make fire after over a month living out there was completely genuine, you could hear the barely contained rage in his very measured sentences when he gave them matches. Also his reaction to Billy being loving insane thinking he and Candice were in love was pretty great.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
God the fire making challenge between Becky and Sundra was a horror show. I have to rewatch that season now, but at the time I remember Jeff being pretty furious that it takes 90 minutes for them to build a fire even with matches.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

SalTheBard posted:

God the fire making challenge between Becky and Sundra was a horror show. I have to rewatch that season now, but at the time I remember Jeff being pretty furious that it takes 90 minutes for them to build a fire even with matches.

Sundra even failed WITH MATCHES. She used them all up and still had nothing. She showed him the empty box, seemingly expecting to be given more, but Jeff just gave her angry face. I'm pretty sure if Becky didn't pull it off he would have just sent them both home right there and gone back to a final 2.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Sundra even failed WITH MATCHES. She used them all up and still had nothing. She showed him the empty box, seemingly expecting to be given more, but Jeff just gave her angry face. I'm pretty sure if Becky didn't pull it off he would have just sent them both home right there and gone back to a final 2.

Haha I forgot that Sundra ran out of matches.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Here...we...go?

Anybody?

How are Rodney's shoes still so white?
Thank god we will never see Dan in that thing again

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He lost his underwear.

This is probably bad news.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Gonna be a lot of blur this episode.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahaha

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
:laffo:

Dan is getting the worst edit. Go find those underwear, dude.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Don't make the poor man free ball in jeans!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I still can't believe they gave the White Collar Tribe the name "Messiah." As if those people don't have enough of a superiority complex.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

blue squares posted:

I still can't believe they gave the White Collar Tribe the name "Messiah." As if those people don't have enough of a superiority complex.

Well, if their tribe keeps losing, every 3 days one of them's going to disappear

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

Well, if their tribe keeps losing, every 3 days one of them's going to disappear

oh my god hahahah

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ironic Twist posted:

:drat:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol wait Tyler isn't gay?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I find it really hard to believe the guy who literally teaches the game didn't learn how to make fire beforehand.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

The nudity causing discomfort never, ever gets old.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Everyone just wants to be naked.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol wait Tyler isn't gay?

I was surprised, too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Apparently heel and ankle are the same thing

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

edit: removed creepypost about Jenn

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Oh man here comes rapey Vince

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Survivor 30: Errybody get nekkid

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This is the best meltdown.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, sarcasm is the way to go about voicing your displeasure.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

James Van Der Beek starring in the latest CBS assembly line production

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Why the hell would Nina think that people would be more accommodating of her disability on Survivor than in real life? That's completely incomprehensible. She better not gently caress up my girl Jenn's game.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

What the gently caress is on that guy's back

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

Remember the last guy who was obsessed with wood? How well did that work out for him?

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Vince's jealousy is awesome

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vince is so jealous of Joe. Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Vince is kind of a crybaby, eh?