Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The semis would generally be of a higher quality if only the best teams were involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Lionel Richie posted:

Why don't you want England to go through

Because it would be funny.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

We all have a giggle mate but no true Englishman would ever actually want them to lose in a world cup. It's wound me up that has, I'm a bit riled tbh.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Did that post cause you to drop your cup of tea?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
The lack of sledging is, I presume, because David Warner cannot theoretically speak Farsi

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Drugs posted:

The lack of sledging is, I presume, because David Warner cannot theoretically speak Farsi

Should've played Watto, he's fully fluent in Farcey

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

webmeister posted:

I'd actually say the worst part about the game was Warne and the other Nine idiots in the commentary box

"I was in a game in 1992 when some batsman smashed a big six up onto that roof, what a classic moment"

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Drugs posted:

Mate I'm going to be forced to report you and anyone else who disrespects The Ghan by confusing Farsi with Pashto and saying Afghani instead of Afghan. Also that horse game is played with a calf not a goat and Kohli is Pakistani.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I must say it's a nice change to have some actual commentary in this game and not Warne going on about mulligans or Brendon Julian's party or similar twattery

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Drugs posted:

I didn't watch the game but looked at the score and can only assume that it was a game of graceless Australian showboating

Australia treated Afghanistan with a surprising amount of respect, no showboating or over the top stupidity. The Afghan players have a lot of raw talent and the bowling certainly didn't deserve to have 400+ made against it. Batting wasnt great but what do you expect of players that would almost certainly never played against bowlers near the pace of Starc / Johnson?

Despite the huge loss, Afghanistan weren't an embarrassment at all.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Coetzer may double Scotland's previous top score in a WC.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Not one post about this Scotland own session?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Scotland may be about to guarantee England's place in the quarter finals

Also this is the first game that Scotland's openers haven't collapsed and they have batted very well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Haque's popped his shoulder, so even more likely now.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Scotland's batting is their strong point so I won't get too excited; but we have had a few good performances with the ball

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Coetzer is one of those who always looks toilet in county cricket but good whenever he plays for his associate nation, see also the O'Brien brothers

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Pitch looks flat as though; it'll probably end up like that England-Sri Lanka game when everyone got excited over them scoring 300; before Sri Lanka chased it down without any sweat.

Would have been nice if Mommsen had hung around, but Berrington's not awful

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Drugs posted:

He had a few words with an Afghan bowler over a caught behind appeal (I think it was shapoor) but Warner was actually in the right there. He didn't hit the ball and the bowler spoke to him first.

Outside of that it was played in pretty good spirit. Johnson barely bowled at the body. Starc just bowled ball after ball full at the stumps. Clarke didn't just unleash the quick bowlers at them and used the game as a chance to give himself and Faulkner a bit of a stretch.

Maxwell batted like a maniac but that's his style. Smith and Warner batted pretty respectfully. I think the side probably got a serve because they batted like brainless clowns against new Zealand so they were under strict orders to treat Afghanistan with respect until they established a decent score.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Must admit I'm not entirely confident about this bit of Scotland's batting lineup.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It's going to be really funny when England win the world cup

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Scylo posted:

best joke of 2031 for sure

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Scylo posted:

Honestly think England have more chance of winning the football world cup than the cricket one.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Think they're around 15 runs short of where they need to be: which is annoying.

Ah well; they've played well.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bangladesh are going to lose which is good because I don't like them.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Butch dropping some truth bombs in the sky studio. Butch is pro tier punditry.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The two white ball experiment is turning into a bit of a failure IMO. Yeah the white ball is a piece of poo poo in general but unless the bowlers can get the ball to swing they are going to be absolutely carted because the batsman is now hitting a much harder ball late in the game. There is less in it for spin bowlers too.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

RideTheSpiral posted:

Butch dropping some truth bombs in the sky studio. Butch is pro tier punditry.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The two white ball experiment is turning into a bit of a failure IMO. Yeah the white ball is a piece of poo poo in general but unless the bowlers can get the ball to swing they are going to be absolutely carted because the batsman is now hitting a much harder ball late in the game. There is less in it for spin bowlers too.

No team averages more than 5 in the first 10 overs since that was introduced so you're wrong.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Bangladesh should have enough quality and experience to chase this, especially since Tamim Iqbal surprisingly didn't fail. They are a batsman short though with Anamul injured.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

The people want to see massive sixes though. God forbid a batsman's strike rate drop below 80 in an ODI. Even fours don't get cheered as much as they did anymore lol.

Just get rid of fielding restrictions, creep the boundaries a bit further back and get rid of the second new ball and ODI cricket will get competitive again.

Seams fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 5, 2015

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

No team averages more than 5 in the first 10 overs since that was introduced so you're wrong.

Because sides know they can just launch into the ball after the first ten. There is nothing in it for the slow bowlers now.

Edit

Plus the batting sides don't need to go hard in the first ten now because of the power plays. It's about building a foundation now.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 5, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I'm a bit of a lapsed cricket fan since I moved to Canada, but have fond memories of watching and playing the game in the 90's/early 2000s. As much as I love seeing AB smash a hundred million runs in 10 overs or whatever, the game is way to geared towards batters, which kind of takes the fun out of watching a fielding team compose itself and stratagise. Personally I say gently caress the powerplay/fielding restrictions. It pretty much ensures that that one team is playing with a hand tied behind their backs. Also the new game favours sloggers more than playmakers which is a shame.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
As long as they don't remove fielding restrictions from Don Bradman Cricket, else I'd be shithouse at T20 tournaments

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I wouldn't be surprised if more teams put nurdlers in their top order and their very best batsman lower down the order from now on. Maybe England is on to something with Bell opening...

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

I'm a bit of a lapsed cricket fan since I moved to Canada, but have fond memories of watching and playing the game in the 90's/early 2000s. As much as I love seeing AB smash a hundred million runs in 10 overs or whatever, the game is way to geared towards batters, which kind of takes the fun out of watching a fielding team compose itself and stratagise. Personally I say gently caress the powerplay/fielding restrictions. It pretty much ensures that that one team is playing with a hand tied behind their backs. Also the new game favours sloggers more than playmakers which is a shame.

All of this would be true if Aus v NZ didn't happen a week ago. Its poo poo bowling thats the problem, notbatting.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

We definitely need to change all the rules due to AB de Villiers destroying lovely bowling attacks.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Byolante posted:

All of this would be true if Aus v NZ didn't happen a week ago. Its poo poo bowling thats the problem, notbatting.

Also the NZ pitch was a belter which provided a nice bit of swing for the bowlers. Games like that are going to become rarer though as the demands of TV revenue and the general public's bias towards dominating batting over dominating bowling performances entrenches itself. Batsmanship has evolved and become leagues better than just ten years ago, while bowling has become much harder in part because of ICC rules.

Seams fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 5, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

argh I knew Scotland were a little short

They need to hope that Bangladesh through away their wickets trying for NRR or something, which I doubt they'd do

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Get home from work to tune into some quality creep-shots of women in the crowd, and lo and behold there's a game of cricket on. Classy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I have fond memories of not being able to see the ball 30+ overs into the innings.

e: come on bangers!

Airstream Driver fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 5, 2015