Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Zilkin posted:

Has there been any talk about porting PoE to Unity 5 like inXile is doing with W2?

There was recently a dev post about updating PoE's Unity.

Roby Atadero: In Topic: Unity 5.0 release & it's exhaustive feature set

quote:

I don't know what our plans are going forward but, I do know we are shipping with the version of Unity we are currently using (4.6).

Just for some insight, last time we upgraded Unity, Dyrford Crossing mouse collision handling broke on a lot of little plant containers (as is with beta version 435). It took us a few weeks to diagnose the problem and find a solution. But that's the kind of unknown mystery that can crop up from upgrading and why it would be dangerous as of right now to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

evilmiera posted:

Not until possibly the expansion.
There's zero chance we would do MP in an expansion.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rope kid posted:

Ah, alrighty. Possibly some kind of sequel, if this sells well?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I can't imagine MP ever being much of a focus for these games, an RPG that plays in real time and in which you control a big group doesn't lend itself very well to that. It was never very popular in the IE games either.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
No multiplayer, thanks.

Meanwhile, eagerly awaiting the PAX East report of esteemed gentleman mindx2.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 8, 2015

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Allow people to stream it easily and you can multiplayer command the party through that!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ropekid as we can create our own additional party members can you please ensure there are lots of Hot Babe portraits so I can fill my party with Hot Babes tia

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No MP? Then how am I supposed to pwn newbs with my sick 360 NOFLASK Ensorcell-Head moves?!?!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine is right now playing through BG EE with some friends in multiplayer. Personally I'd just want a singleplayer experience but I can see why some would want the option.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eddain posted:

The best character was Xan. He was just being 100% honest the entire time.

This is the correct opinion.

Also I kind of like Sera in DA:I. Granted I just got the stronghold in that game, but I don't find her terribly bad. Sure she's a bit "random" but I don't find her so grating like everyone said I would. She still has direction and a kind of agenda, so I can't hate on her too much.

I would love another Xan-like character though. One who is willing to help, but is really sick and tired of all the bullshit you have to trudge through to get the job done.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

MartianAgitator posted:

It's Jan the gnome who has aged the poorest. At least Minsc doesn't say a lot and will bond with Aerie (and will berserk when Korgan kills her) which is cool. But Jan is obnoxious, useless, and just talks and talks and talks.
Jan, useless? I don't know, he was a skill-monkey who could also throw some good magic, I thought he was pretty useful! I always took him in my party. He served as my main lock-opener and trap-disarmer while remaining useful in combat thanks to his spells. I thought his special ammunitions were rad at low-level too.

SurrealityCheck posted:

I was 11 or 12 when I played BG1 (in French!) and maybe 15 when I played BG2? I just remember hating Imoen. A lot. HE CEST MOI IMOEN
C'EST BON DE VOUS REVOIR!

MONTARON, VOUS ETES SI EXASPERANT!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

evilmiera posted:

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine is right now playing through BG EE with some friends in multiplayer. Personally I'd just want a singleplayer experience but I can see why some would want the option.

I think PoE plays a bit faster than the BG games, so I don't know that multiplayer would be that enjoyable. Makes more sense in something turn-based like Divinity:OS.

Also Jan rules. I should replay BG2 with all of the oddball characters since I usually took "canon" parties.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Litany Unheard posted:

I think PoE plays a bit faster than the BG games, so I don't know that multiplayer would be that enjoyable. Makes more sense in something turn-based like Divinity:OS.

Yeah. I think there's potential for the inXile to make a multiplayer turn-based RPG with a reasonable story using the Numenera/Wasteland engine and their writers, but PoE wouldn't work without severe restrictions on play. Forcing 0.5x speed in combat at all times or something. It's just too fast for two players to co-ordinate properly otherwise.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
So, right now, what are the go-to Beat Things Up classes? In 4e terms, what are the strikers, if something like that exists? Or is it "everyone does lots of damage and also does a little of x, y and/or z"?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Barbarian, ranger rogue, monk and fighter.

The monk and fight can be defenders too, depending on how you build them.

Barbarians are arguably controllers, I guess, as they do melee AOEs.

To continue second guessing myself, wizard, cipher and druid are probably striker/controller, striker/controller, and striker/controller/leader respectively. So yeah, a little of X, a little of Y.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 8, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rope kid posted:

This is awesome.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. I think there's potential for the inXile to make a multiplayer turn-based RPG with a reasonable story using the Numenera/Wasteland engine and their writers, but PoE wouldn't work without severe restrictions on play. Forcing 0.5x speed in combat at all times or something. It's just too fast for two players to co-ordinate properly otherwise.

Or just let both players pause at will like in Baldurs Gate. This isn't rocket science. The exact same RtwP system has had multiplayer that worked perfectly before. I understand why PoE doesn't do it (multiplayer is expensive) but let's not rewrite history ala Blizzard and pretend things that had already been solved are somehow impossible now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Balder's Gate pause at will was fuckin' horrible with another person.

CottonWolf posted:

Barbarian, ranger rogue, monk and fighter.

The monk and fight can be defenders too, depending on how you build them.

Barbarians are arguably controllers, I guess, as they do melee AOEs.

To continue second guessing myself, wizard, cipher and druid are probably striker/controller, striker/controller, and striker/controller/leader respectively. So yeah, a little of X, a little of Y.

What's a 'leader' class? I get strikers are hitty-people who cause individual damage and controllers cause wide-scale damage to encourage attacks onto themselves (maybe?), but what does a leader do, cause team positive status effects?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Hit the nail on the head. Leaders are the buffers/healers of the party. Strikers are the DPS, Controllers do big AoE attacks and debuffs to soften up enemies for the strikers, and the Defenders keep the enemy from attacking the others.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Drifter posted:

What's a 'leader' class? I get strikers are hitty-people who cause individual damage and controllers cause wide-scale damage to encourage attacks onto themselves (maybe?), but what does a leader do, cause team positive status effects?

Striker: Deals huge damage to enemies.
Leader: Undoes or prevents damage to the party, or increases the party's ability to deal damage to enemies.
Controller: Prevents enemies from taking actions with status effects like stun, daze, blind or terrain manipulation. Also, usually, low-damage high-radius AoE damage which is good for popping minions (mook enemies with 1hp).
Defender: Prevents enemies from taking actions by punishing them for attacking his allies and/or being a huge tanky piece of poo poo who won't let you walk past him. Almost exclusively melee.

Most of the 4e classes are mixes of these e.g. a Warlock is a ranged Striker with a side of Controller.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
On that note I really wish warlords were a thing in PoE, or in 5e, or really any RPG outside of 4e. Why is "martial commander" such a rare archetype available to play as? The only thing I can think of that's comparable is GW1's Paragons and they were more like paladin-bards.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AXE COP posted:

On that note I really wish warlords were a thing in PoE, or in 5e, or really any RPG outside of 4e. Why is "martial commander" such a rare archetype available to play as? The only thing I can think of that's comparable is GW1's Paragons and they were more like paladin-bards.

PoE paladins are basically warlords, at least in spirit, if not fully in mechanics. Buffing martial leaders.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

DatonKallandor posted:

but let's not rewrite history ala Blizzard and pretend things that had already been solved are somehow impossible now.
What is this referring to, you've gotten me curious.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jastiger posted:

This is the correct opinion.

Also I kind of like Sera in DA:I. Granted I just got the stronghold in that game, but I don't find her terribly bad. Sure she's a bit "random" but I don't find her so grating like everyone said I would. She still has direction and a kind of agenda, so I can't hate on her too much.

I would love another Xan-like character though. One who is willing to help, but is really sick and tired of all the bullshit you have to trudge through to get the job done.

Sera is literally the most irritating character in any of the wrpgs I ever played.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jackard posted:

Blizzard's infamous "The technology just isn't there yet." response to the question of LAN support for Starcraft 2.

Also, Sera is garbage.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If they'd just said "we are requiring everyone to use Bnet because piracy" then they would have been keelhauled less. It still would have been loving stupid, just less shameful.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

X_Toad posted:

Jan, useless? I don't know, he was a skill-monkey who could also throw some good magic, I thought he was pretty useful! I always took him in my party. He served as my main lock-opener and trap-disarmer while remaining useful in combat thanks to his spells. I thought his special ammunitions were rad at low-level too.

You express dismay at my describing Jan as useless then describe all the things he can do that are functionally useless in BG2. Like, hey, maybe you like Nalia 'cause the stuck-up rich lady thing turns your engine. Okay, whatever. But don't defend her inability to contribute as a party member.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Hating on Minsc and Jan Jansen, is this what society has become?

It's crazy. I never recruited Jan, but Minsc is one of the best D&D characters ever written.

Same thing with Edwin.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

jans great once you realize all his stupid stories are just him ragging on your party members.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol at people who didnt realize that jan spends the whole game loving with you and your party members

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, I hated Jan until I realised that he was deliberately trying to piss off every single member of the party at all times :allears:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Jackard posted:

Well there's ye olde "we can't possibly have separate online and offline character pools" for Diablo 3, when D2 had both and a secure and insecure pool of online characters on top for the casual vs competitive ladder crowd. Blizzard is also a big proponent of "the internet cannot cross oceans" and "playing with someone from a different continent would be impossible ping wise!" with it's tightly region locked Battle.net 2.0 while decade old Battle.net 1.0 could handle oceans just fine.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yeah, I hated Jan until I realised that he was deliberately trying to piss off every single member of the party at all times :allears:

Birth of Obsidian party members all hating each other right here.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
As someone who just beat BG2 last month with both Minsc and Jan in my party, I can conclusively say that Minsc sucks and Jan rules (but I kept Minsc around anyways because he was too useful).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Vitamin P posted:

Ropekid as we can create our own additional party members can you please ensure there are lots of Hot Babe portraits so I can fill my party with Hot Babes tia
You can put your own portraits into the portrait folder and use whatever you want. ~*

SockPuppet
Oct 31, 2005

DELIBERATELY BARREN
Ropekid, seeing that souls are a definite observable thing in the setting - are there any characters or groups that don't believe in a strict Dualism?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know why everyone is bagging on Sera. I'm not all the way through the game yet so maybe I just don't know something yet.

Xan was great, but you know who I really liked? Jaheira and Viconia. We need more female characters like them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yes yes, but your artists draw so much better than the Deviant Art people.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

SockPuppet posted:

Ropekid, seeing that souls are a definite observable thing in the setting - are there any characters or groups that don't believe in a strict Dualism?

Well, when metaphysics become science can you really call it belief anymore? One of the cool things I'm hoping for is that the game uses that tension between cultures' belief systems and animancy to explore more things than the old "science vs morality" debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

MartianAgitator posted:

Well, when metaphysics become science can you really call it belief anymore?
It's 2015, you tell me.

• Locked thread