Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Is there a way to see all new releases by my followed artists? Following seems sort of useless and annoying, since I get a lot of updates about what they're listening to or some playlist they shared. 'Discover' has nothing like what I want.

All I want is a list of the most recently added songs and albums by the artists that I like. Possible?
Yeah, Twitter :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Is there a way to see all new releases by my followed artists? Following seems sort of useless and annoying, since I get a lot of updates about what they're listening to or some playlist they shared. 'Discover' has nothing like what I want.

All I want is a list of the most recently added songs and albums by the artists that I like. Possible?

Besides "Following" them and getting a notification on my phone, I don't think so.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Well that seems like a stupid oversight.

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

Well that seems like a stupid oversight.

Spotify: Well that seems like a stupid oversight.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Meanwhile SoundCloud lacks playlist support on the iPad because gently caress you.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

MMD3 posted:

If this is something people are still interested in we could work on getting it started again. I have all of them added in my account and haven't seen a ton of activity as far as additions lately... I suppose the thread being archived would definitely explain that ;)
Yeah I mean feel free to restart that and link to the previous ones (except the lovely ones... :ninja:)

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Spotify deleted all my downloaded music on my iPod Touch for some reason. Was working fine yesterday, didn't update anything or touch it at all, just all my poo poo was gone this morning. Now I have to wait for 2000+ songs to download again.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Monday_ posted:

Spotify deleted all my downloaded music on my iPod Touch for some reason. Was working fine yesterday, didn't update anything or touch it at all, just all my poo poo was gone this morning. Now I have to wait for 2000+ songs to download again.

This has happened on all of my devices as well - Mac and iPhone. Not sure why and very annoyed.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Spotify offline/local music sharing is awful and so frustratingly unreliable I just stopped bothering with it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

thathonkey posted:

Spotify offline/local music sharing is awful and so frustratingly unreliable I just stopped bothering with it

I love getting the 3 bubble box when i click an album in the subway and have no reception. Good job Spotify. Morons.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I use it in the car a lot and the app acts like the songs are available (ie. The arent grayed out like untappable/unavailable items often are) then i tap one and it just brings up a blank "now playing" screen that shows track time at 0:00 and never starts playing. Ughhhhh

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I have a local file, "Mass" by artist "E," from an album that doesn't exist in Spotify. I've unlinked the track at my desktop and set it in a separate playlist ("Not on Spotify") for offline playback on my iPhone. The ios app, however, titles the track as "Mass Exodus," based on the incorrect song (by a completely different) that the desktop program originally tried to link as the song. No matter what I do, the ios app won't reflect the correct song title. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I imagine I have a bunch more hidden bombs in my library.

EDIT: As of January 2013, it was "on the list" of things to fix. https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/mobileforumtopicpage/board-id/spotifyandroid/thread-id/4013/page/1

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 31, 2014

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Is there a way to disable the Android app from controlling music on other devices in the same Wifi network? At least once a week my phone hijacks my work computer mid-playlist and starts playing something else even though I haven't touched my phone in two or three hours.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

FadingChord posted:

Is there a way to disable the Android app from controlling music on other devices in the same Wifi network? At least once a week my phone hijacks my work computer mid-playlist and starts playing something else even though I haven't touched my phone in two or three hours.

I've never had that issue, and this is with 2 androids and my PC all signed in at once and on the same network. Also, it's nt just "On the same network", it's "signed in at all". Scared the crap out of a friend f mine with that the other day, I was heading back to my apartment and he was already inside (only friend of mine I trust with my spare keys who is also close enough to stop by if I accidentally lock myself out) and I had the computer fire up a song while I was still on mobile data.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FadingChord posted:

I don't think it should be doing that if it's properly synced to your account only? If you mean it's only doing that to your account though, just put your phone into Offline Mode when you're not using it?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is there a way to voice control Spotify on my android phone? I'm premium if that makes a difference.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
If you get 2 accounts with their new "family" thing, is there any connection between them other than the billing? i.e. can they see each other status or anything unless they opt into it?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Am I insane, or is there no way to stream from the Windows desktop app to a DLNA receiver? I have to do it through the iPhone app, or am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Did anyone do the survey Spotify emailed out a day or two ago? It looks like they want to have albums where you can listen to the singles on Spotify Free, but if you want to listen to the whole thing you need to have Premium.

Fuuuuck that. gently caress that right in the eye.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
lol if you don't already have premium. how poor are you?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

lol if you don't already have premium. how poor are you?

I don't care about the ads all that much and the service around here sucks too much to use it on my phone, so I don't see the point.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can I turn off Spotify Connect? It's annoying.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Can I turn off Spotify Connect? It's annoying.

dunno, but found out that if you want to control your phone from your computer, you have to use the beta version of the desktop app.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don't care about the ads all that much and the service around here sucks too much to use it on my phone, so I don't see the point.

You can download tracks to your phone by the way, that way you don't need mobile streaming at all.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

You can download tracks to your phone by the way, that way you don't need mobile streaming at all.

And there is also wi-fi :thumbsup:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

dunno, but found out that if you want to control your phone from your computer, you have to use the beta version of the desktop app.

serious question why would you want to do that?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i want to work on the laptop but have something plugged into the real speakers

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

thathonkey posted:

serious question why would you want to do that?

For me, I can play music from my good speakers across the room while I'm in bed

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ah ok that's legit. thanks i was genuinely curious :downs: how do you get the beta releases? could someone kindly link me up

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Welcome-to-the-Desktop-Beta/td-p/932803

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

The support forums seem to be of the opinion that the beta is awful. Should I try installing it?

They did appear to have somehow hosed my Linux client with whatever they did in the backend to support the beta.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Red_Fred posted:

I tried the three-month deal at 9.99. I still prefer to work with smart playlists in iTunes, because they give me more control over changing criteria (recently added, ratings, last played, etc.). Also, I found the whole Library/starred/my songs/etc. thing to be confusing and unwieldy.

I was the perfect audience for Spotify unlimited, since I would like to skip ads and get higher quality sound at my desktop. Too bad they decided to get rid of their mid-tier option. Curious about whether Apple's option might be for me, but they've downplayed smart playlists recently so I'm not optimistic.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The Modern Leper posted:

Also, I found the whole Library/starred/my songs/etc. thing to be confusing and unwieldy.

All of that is utter poo poo. Playlists are the only thing that make the Spotify app usable at all.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

cebrail posted:

All of that is utter poo poo. Playlists are the only thing that make the Spotify app usable at all.

This is gospel. The library functionality is awful on desktop and phone. It's because they make it almost impossible to navigate.

Another complaint I have about phone is that i cant figure out how to flip to the uncensored version or a song/album or even see if they have it. It always just defaults to the censor. On desktop it was hard to find the switch but at least it's there. This could be ok if their search was decent but it's just loving awful too. Spotify is definitely a great service that i couldnt live without these days but gently caress their terrible rear end software to death

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

This is gospel. The library functionality is awful on desktop and phone. It's because they make it almost impossible to navigate.

Another complaint I have about phone is that i cant figure out how to flip to the uncensored version or a song/album or even see if they have it. It always just defaults to the censor. On desktop it was hard to find the switch but at least it's there. This could be ok if their search was decent but it's just loving awful too. Spotify is definitely a great service that i couldnt live without these days but gently caress their terrible rear end software to death

Only thing I know it to look for the "more versions" button in the bottom right. There isn't another way right?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

Only thing I know it to look for the "more versions" button in the bottom right. There isn't another way right?

On the desktop app (OS X), yeah, I look for this button:

There is 0 other distinction that I can find other than looking for the 'explicit' badge on individual tracks and inferring that it's the uncensored version. On the iPhone app I have no idea how to switch between the two.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I wish Spotify was just an API that you could hook foobar2000 up to. Sadly, it isn't.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

cebrail posted:

it's good if you listen to whole albums

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
I still just use starred for everything. Just drag every album to starred. I think i have 35000 songs in that list right now and use it the same way I use foobar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

it's good if you listen to whole albums

If you listen to nothing but whole albums, maybe. It's a confusing mess otherwise.
And God forbid you listen to anything that doesn't fit into the pop scheme of artist/album/song.

• Locked thread