Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Don't grow food. Eat pirate corpses and wear jackets made from their skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Opal posted:

Somebody told me that colonists can eat strawberries raw while potatoes incur a penalty so I've stopped growing the latter and kept to the former.

Spuds grow faster, that's the appeal of them, but you need to cook them before you eat them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Opal posted:

Somebody told me that colonists can eat strawberries raw while potatoes incur a penalty so I've stopped growing the latter and kept to the former.

Berries and corn are better to grow at first, because they can be eaten raw with no penalty. Berries grow fast with small yield, corn grows slow with larger yeild.

Rice and potatoes can't be eaten raw, but seem to produce more food. Rice grows quick, potatoes slow.

So if you need food ASAP grow berries. If you're looking for the most labor efficient solution grow potatoes. There isn't much of a reason to grow rice or corn. IMO it's better to focus on one crop as it is a bit more space efficient in your freezer to only have one foodstuff in stack. I haven't focused on trading food so there may be some use for rice or corn then, so long as you put it in storage as fast as possible as the market price of anything drops as it deteriorates.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sub Rosa posted:

Someone in the Dwarf Fortress thread said this game is really good so I bought it. Is there some equivalent to the Captain Duck tutorials I should watch? Because I tried to just jump in and had no idea what I was doing.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You want to build in roughly this order:

-Sleeping quarters - a little room with some beds is fine.
-Power generation to provide heat, power automatic turrets, and cool rooms to freezing to preserve food
-Food growing zones, food storage areas, food prep areas, and food eating areas.
-A general stockpile room.
-A research bench. Priority research techs are stonecutting, hydroponics, geothermal power, turret cooling, and hydroponic picks.
-A small jail. It can just be one or two beds designated for prisoners in a tiny room. You'll need it sooner or later.

Day one you can build a little sleeping hut and power it. This is more important if your climate is colder. Also if your climate is cold you want to start growing food ASAP before the growing season is over and you hunt animals to survive the winter. Strawberries grow quicker and can be eaten raw. Potatoes need to be cooked. You can also hunt animals, but you're probably better off farming at first. Try not to chop down too many trees when you're building stuff, it takes forever and you don't need much wood. Move any pesky stones that are in the way to a dumping stockpile, colonists that have to climb over stones are slowed down big time.

After a few days it makes sense to build a turret. You can leave it turned off if you want to save power, it doesn't take too long to turn on. You also want to build a room with a cooler, and set the cooler to below freezing. This allows you to preserve food, as frozen food won't spoil. Also build an enclosed room with a table/stools for dining, as well as a cook table and a butcher. Open up the cook table and make some simple meals, but make sure you don't use meat in the simple meals unless you really need to - it's better to save meat for more satisfying, complex meals. Don't worry about the nutrient paste machine, it's mildly useless.

You also want to store items indoors, out of the rain and elements. Food especially, even your survival rations will be eaten by animals. Also, don't un-forbid survival meals across the map until you're ready to go collect them. Your colonists will go hiking hours into the wilderness just to go eat a survival meal.

Pretty soon after day one you want to build a research bench, though you should only research sparingly for now. You don't have enough colonists to spare, time spent researching could be growing food or building tough walls! Stonecutting is the usual first tech, as it lets you turn useless rubble into sturdy blocks. Building with wood is quick and cheap, but a little risky as wood is flimsy and flammable. Steel walls are way too expensive, you need that steel elsewhere. You can build tough permanent structures from stone blocks. If your climate has a short growing season hydroponics is a good second tech, but it sucks up a lot of power to farm hydroponically.

Eventually you'll end up with some prisoners, most likely survivors of a failed raid. Capture them, fix them up, and try to recruit them. Your people with the Warden job will care for and chat with prisoners. They will be the largest source of new recruits for your colony. Medicine is scarce, only use it if a prisoner you really want to recruit gets an infection.

Once you've got the basics, you can start thinking about the economy. Try these things:

-A trade beacon with a stockpile around it, and a comm console. Passing traders can be hailed, and goods in the stockpile around the trade beacon can be sold. There isn't anything that is a waste of time to sell, but look around for whatever resources best fit your situation. Stock up on medicine, body armor and good weapons to arm your people, and spare limbs/organs.
-Defenses. You will get attacked frequently and mercilessly! Use stone walls, sandbags, and turrets to protect your colonists. Clear away rubble and trees from your walls so your enemies can't use them for cover.
-Hydroponic farm, to grow food more quickly and year round. Every square of a table has to be brightly lit to grow a crop, inside the range of a sun lamp is good. Also keep the temperature of the indoor farms nice and comfy, too cold/hot and nothing will grow.
-Manufacturing. Growing cotton, making clothes, and selling the clothes is a good income. So is mining precious metal - silver is used as money and gold is good to sell or turn into statues and stuff. You can also broker goods between traders if you know what you're doing.

At this point expand your prison and hospital facilities, fortify your settlement, and try to hang on. Eventually you want to build a spaceship and escape!

Tips:
-Don't make your people travel too far. Don't queue up too many jobs at once. This game is all about efficient use of labor.
-Placing your kitchen, freezer, and dining area together makes things a lot more efficient. One good cook can make enough meals for many people in a short time if they don't have to walk too far.
-Gunfights are all about cover. Provide good cover for your people and deny good cover to the enemy.
-Pay attention to your colonist's moods. Provide them ample living space, good food, and a clean, decorated enviroment. They won't freak out as much.
-Cleaning is a very low priority but important task. Every once in a while, have everyone stop what they're doing and clean up the area. Accumulated dirt and a filthy environment make your people unhappy.
-Loot and bury corpses ASAP.
-Melee is not underpowered, if used correctly.

You don't need hydroponics to grow food indoors, a sun lamp and heater on bare dirt will do the job. You don't need a freezer room as soon if you have a warm climate - you can just constantly grow food and freeze a backup supply of cooked meals. It's also a good idea to kill muffalos and freeze their corpses, as you can only have one stack of 75x meat of any type but an animal corpse that contains more than 75 meat will still only take up one tile.

Sub Rosa posted:

What size growing zones should I be starting with?

6x12 should do the trick at first. There is no optimal size for a growing zone.

Large zones are good because:
-produce more food, of course
-train growing skill (important)
-are a good way to designate future building areas for tree/debris clearing without designating those jobs specifically

Large zones are bad because:
-takes up a lot of labor, which is scarce in the first few weeks
-seriously generates a lot of jobs. every growing tile means not only a tile that must be cleared and planted, but then a food object which must be hauled and stored
-no for real if your farming zones are too big your colonists will be doing nothing but farming and then your food goes to waste

also if you get lucky and you get a survivor in an escape pod, make sure to capture them, not rescue them. rescue means you fix them up and then they leave. capture means you imprison them. you don't want to capture on-map faction members because it makes the faction upset, except for pirates, because those factions are pissed off anyway. capture angry tribals but usually release them, the relations boost is nice and tribals take forever and a day to convert. escape pod survivors are not part of an on-map faction so you can piss them off as much as you want, it doesn't matter at all

Heffer
May 1, 2003

1) Do blights affect only 1 zone, or 1 crop and all zones it's grown in?

2) How do I make a room beautiful? I still see spot showing "1xdirt" even though I have wood flooring and no ability to tell a colonist to clean it.

3)How does high cover work? Does the colonist have to be behind it, or beside it?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Heffer posted:

2) How do I make a room beautiful? I still see spot showing "1xdirt" even though I have wood flooring and no ability to tell a colonist to clean it.

3)How does high cover work? Does the colonist have to be behind it, or beside it?

1) Blight kills 99% of your crops. A bare few will survive. There is no way to protect against it.

2) Keep it clean and put nice, well-crafted things in it dwarf fortress-style. There's a little icon s haped like a head next to the zone visibility control that will let you see how beautiful each tile is. Statues are good, also make plant pots out of marble and sliver but plant pots require light to grow.

3) Behind, so long as there is a space to the side. Pawns will automatically lean out from around cover to shoot. The best cover is high cover, like a wall, next to a sandbag or other low cover. Sandbags are cheap but if you're really hard up you can build stone block walls with stone chunk debris adjacent as impromptu sandbags.

e: You can tell colonists to spot-clean, so long as they have the cleaning labor enabled. It's better to have a dedicated cleaner, or to take a couple days every once in a while and order everyone to scrub the place down. Paving walkways will reduce the amount of dirt tracked indoors.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 9, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heffer posted:

1) One crop, all zones, actually I seem to remember it being all crops except stuff like devilstrand but that might have changed, but it's definitely all zones.

2) Cleaning is a low priority labor by default, either set it to high priority for someone, or make someone with no other things to do but clean.

3) They want the high cover between them and an enemy, they will lean out from behind it to shoot. This gives them a smaller firing arc however, and the cover becomes less effective as the enemy gets closer to flanking them. This can be mitigated by putting sandbags or other low cover next to the high cover so that they lean out behind the sandbags.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I loving hate blight. It really fucks over growing operations. Also I hate when my cook runs out to the field to only grab 10 food before making their way back to the kitchen. I have a zone designated for food storage next to the stove, so they should grab 75x of whatever and take it all back :mad: Every harvest I have to tell a few people to haul the food so they actually grab 75x and take it to the kitchen. I just usually grab the closest 5 people and tell them to do it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

crabrock posted:

I loving hate blight. It really fucks over growing operations. Also I hate when my cook runs out to the field to only grab 10 food before making their way back to the kitchen. I have a zone designated for food storage next to the stove, so they should grab 75x of whatever and take it all back :mad: Every harvest I have to tell a few people to haul the food so they actually grab 75x and take it to the kitchen. I just usually grab the closest 5 people and tell them to do it.

when you see them running out there, order them to haul food

this is happening because food in your field is closer than food in your freezer, so the cook goes to grab it, but they only need 10 to cook with and their current job is to cook, not haul

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

You can save some of that manual-hauling headache by setting the max item range for your meal orders low enough that only the fridge is in range. This setting is useful in general for keeping your pants-on-head minions in line.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I just put my cook stove in the freezer.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

wiegieman posted:

I just put my cook stove in the freezer.

Does the cook stove give off heat?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Heffer posted:

Does the cook stove give off heat?

Not to the point that it matters, if at all. Ambient transfer does more.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

How do animals replenish themselves? My current desert start there was only three dromedaries in the entire map, and once I killed them all I never got any new ones. Is there a breeding mechanic at play? I never see iguanas or megascarabs interacting with each other so I assumed they just popped out of the aether periodically.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Spakstik posted:

How do animals replenish themselves? My current desert start there was only three dromedaries in the entire map, and once I killed them all I never got any new ones. Is there a breeding mechanic at play? I never see iguanas or megascarabs interacting with each other so I assumed they just popped out of the aether periodically.

That is how it works, they just kind of wander in from the map edges every so often. I've heard outdoor crop zones can attract more animals to appear but i've got no idea if that's true or not.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

How do I build stone walls? I researched Stonecutting, built a table, cut some stone blocks...but I can't find stone walls anywhere in the build menus. Wiki says that they're under Structures, but the aren't there.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

ToxicFrog posted:

How do I build stone walls? I researched Stonecutting, built a table, cut some stone blocks...but I can't find stone walls anywhere in the build menus. Wiki says that they're under Structures, but the aren't there.

They use the stuff system, so just click the same wall options that you've been using until this point. You should see the options of steel walls, wood walls, silver walls, and granite walls or whatever type of stone you have.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah it's a little inconsistent, the Floor group shows you a separate button for each material but Structures has material types collapsed into the buttons.

Regarding cleaning, it seems totally fine if you just make everyone's Cleaning priority 2, once the big messes from digging are dealt with it just never seems to get noticeably dirty any more.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Make your braindamaged pawns dedicated cleaners. It's about all they're good for (outside of being organ bags anyway).

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah it's a little inconsistent, the Floor group shows you a separate button for each material but Structures has material types collapsed into the buttons.

Regarding cleaning, it seems totally fine if you just make everyone's Cleaning priority 2, once the big messes from digging are dealt with it just never seems to get noticeably dirty any more.

The floors aren't "stuffified" because they aren't "things". Only things actually classified as "things" can be stuffified. (Man, that is a weird set of sentences.)

There is a mod that turns floors into things and stuffifies them. You have to put down concrete or have smooth stone flooring before you can put down any floors, though. But it does let you deconstruct floors.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9334.0

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I wonder, could you give a braindamaged colonist bionic legs to mostly offset the move penalty from the brain damage? A bit extravagant, yeah, but I'm rolling in silver right now and have a dude who took a pirate bullet to the skull while rescuing a comrade a while back. Just organ-harvesting him feels horribly lovely, but right now he's barely even useful as a cleaner.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 10, 2015

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
It would have almost no effect, although that naturally depends on how badly damaged the brain is. If you click on the little i on the colonist's panel, it'll bring up a character information tab showing you their various abilities and how certain physical stats affect them. For example, you can see that crafting time is greatly influenced by manipulation, so if you give someone bionic arms they'll craft much more speedily. Likewise, movement speed is affected by the 'moving' stat, so bionic legs do of course speed up colonists quite a bit. However, almost everything is affected (at a rate of 90% I believe) by the consciousness stat, which correlates directly with the health of the brain. It's like the glue that binds everything else together. So if the brain is badly damaged, it doesn't matter if your guy is a level 20 sculptor with robo-arms or Usain Bolt's descendant with robo-legs: they will do jack poo poo, and they'll do it slowly.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 10, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There should be an operation to stick a mechanoid brain into a colonist with brain damage. Or heck even a healthy colonist. Once you have the one you need for the ship what else do you do with them besides sell them?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
There's actually a thread on their forums right now about brain damage and whether there would ever be some way to deal with it in vanilla; but Tynan (the dev) has weighed in saying it's probably not going to change anytime in the future as it's just part of the intended drama of the game.

Doesn't matter of course, as you can pretty much pick and choose whatever mods you wish to get robot brains, AI core brains, brain transplants, brain healing meds and the like.

Here's the thread in question, if you're interested: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8831.0

Tynan posted:

Probably not. If everything's fixable, nothing's tragic.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I kinda agree with him. Part of the fun of this game is the hosed up situations. My braindamage dude is just set to clean all day, and that in itself is kinda useful. Also he seems to actually be OK in fights for some reason so I usually stick him next to the door with a shiv and he's got retard strength or something because he manages to kill at least one dude every raid.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

In my last game I ended up with statues being my primary source of income. Is there any benefit to producing grand statues? A skill 20 artist cranked one out (normal quality, maybe?) and it ended up not being worth much more than the higher quality small statues that my other two artists were churning out. The time you have to invest in it doesn't seem to line up with the payoff; seems like I'd have been much better off having them churn out small statues.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

duck monster posted:

I kinda agree with him. Part of the fun of this game is the hosed up situations. My braindamage dude is just set to clean all day, and that in itself is kinda useful. Also he seems to actually be OK in fights for some reason so I usually stick him next to the door with a shiv and he's got retard strength or something because he manages to kill at least one dude every raid.

Someone has never read Flowers for Algernon.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Spakstik posted:

In my last game I ended up with statues being my primary source of income. Is there any benefit to producing grand statues? A skill 20 artist cranked one out (normal quality, maybe?) and it ended up not being worth much more than the higher quality small statues that my other two artists were churning out. The time you have to invest in it doesn't seem to line up with the payoff; seems like I'd have been much better off having them churn out small statues.

If you actually want a beautiful area I think they have a much higher beauty value. And it's a giant pain to raise beauty value now, especially with how much dirt drags it down.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I tried a farming setup where I captured a whole bunch of outdoor land and walled it up in 8x8 cells, and then disassembled the walls leaving enough supports to hold the ceiling up. Well, I won't do that again because it's a giant fire hazard/Easy-Bake oven for colonists. :supaburn:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 12, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Okay, at this point I think the part I'm most confused by is trade/tradebeacons/stockpiles. Or stockpiles generally, maybe. My stockpiles get full really quickly, and then the things I want to trade, like my extensive collection of cowboy hats, are still where they were dropped by my hat maker. Considering how random the opportunity to trade is to begin with, how the different traders are only interested in particular goods, and especially how absolutely loving infuriating it is that my loving silver sometimes doesn't show up for reasons I really don't understand loving christ why do I have to store my spacebucks like they are giant blocks, the whole trade thing is frustrating and bewildering to me.

And generally since I've only a rough idea of what to prioritize I end up running completely out of silver and steel and then I need something and I'm just stuck waiting forever for the one trader that will at least buy my cloth for pennies.

So how do people manage this? How are you supposed to?

What do I need to know about the difference between trade beacons being inside or outside? There is some screen that flashes for just a moment sometimes that says something or other.

Are there mods that help this aspect of the game? Quantum stockpiles, or a mod that makes the trade screen detect all your stuff and not just what is in a trade beacon stockpile? I've seen some mods add things you can build that store specific things, do you know if I built those inside the radius of a trade beacon if their contents are detected?

This whole part of the game just seems broken to me as a new player, and I miss just selecting poo poo to haul to the trade depot in DF.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The stuff that shows up on the top left is only the stuff that's stored in your stockpiles (think of them as warehouses).

Your guys can still use anything that isn't marked with an X, though.

Things not marked with an X will not be touched, and those that your guys can use will eventually get put in a stockpile eventually if they dont have anything better to do.

If you have enough guys, you can set someone to only do stuff like hauling and cleaning, which are often overlooked.

If you need something to go to your stockpile right loving now, you can right click it and tell someone to do it right this instant.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

In case you have not noticed, if you want to build hospital beds then you pretty much have to trade for the medicine required, the growable medicine plant does not count for the building materials.

Wait, there is a medicine plant?!

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Rapner posted:

Wait, there is a medicine plant?!
Xerigum

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Sub Rosa posted:

Okay, at this point I think the part I'm most confused by is trade/tradebeacons/stockpiles. Or stockpiles generally, maybe. My stockpiles get full really quickly, and then the things I want to trade, like my extensive collection of cowboy hats, are still where they were dropped by my hat maker. Considering how random the opportunity to trade is to begin with, how the different traders are only interested in particular goods, and especially how absolutely loving infuriating it is that my loving silver sometimes doesn't show up for reasons I really don't understand loving christ why do I have to store my spacebucks like they are giant blocks, the whole trade thing is frustrating and bewildering to me.

And generally since I've only a rough idea of what to prioritize I end up running completely out of silver and steel and then I need something and I'm just stuck waiting forever for the one trader that will at least buy my cloth for pennies.

So how do people manage this? How are you supposed to?

What do I need to know about the difference between trade beacons being inside or outside? There is some screen that flashes for just a moment sometimes that says something or other.

Are there mods that help this aspect of the game? Quantum stockpiles, or a mod that makes the trade screen detect all your stuff and not just what is in a trade beacon stockpile? I've seen some mods add things you can build that store specific things, do you know if I built those inside the radius of a trade beacon if their contents are detected?

This whole part of the game just seems broken to me as a new player, and I miss just selecting poo poo to haul to the trade depot in DF.

This is what my stockpile/production setup looked like:

And here are the storage settings for the left and right rooms, respectively:

It's probably not optimal, but it worked really well for me. The left room is the production area with all the crafting tables. The stockpile zone in this room is set to only allow finished goods. On the right is a stockpile room that only allows raw resources. Both rooms have trade beacons in them, so I'm set no matter what type of goods trader comes by. Trade beacons are always outside; you'll notice that if you build one in a room, it automatically cuts a hole in the roof around the beacon. Not sure how this works when your base is inside a mountain, though.

If you're finding yourself short on silver and steel, you can either mark them as forbidden (f) or make sure that when you set up a bill at one of your crafting stations, it's set not to use silver, steel, and any other resource you want to conserve (done by pressing the config button in the bill's listing). If you can spare a colonist for crafting, building a tailor's bench and having the colonist turn your cloth into clothing will up its value considerably. I think dusters are the most valuable clothing item. A smithing bench is also pretty good for making money too if you have someone set to churn out wooden longswords. Statues are also really good money if you have an artistic colonist.

In terms of priorities, I think the best route is to get a stonecutter table researched and set up as quickly as possible so you can start using stone blocks for construction rather than steel. The base I built in the screenshot above is basically entirely steel and I ended up regretting it, because steel becomes a bit more valuable as the game progresses--you'll want it to build things like turrets, geothermal power plants, and spaceship parts. It'll seem plentiful at first, but you'll chew through your supply (and the map's supply) in short order, and having to rely on a passing bulk goods trader for basic materials kind of sucks.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Spakstik posted:

If you're finding yourself short on silver and steel, you can either mark them as forbidden (f) or make sure that when you set up a bill at one of your crafting stations, it's set not to use silver, steel, and any other resource you want to conserve (done by pressing the config button in the bill's listing). If you can spare a colonist for crafting, building a tailor's bench and having the colonist turn your cloth into clothing will up its value considerably. I think dusters are the most valuable clothing item. A smithing bench is also pretty good for making money too if you have someone set to churn out wooden longswords. Statues are also really good money if you have an artistic colonist.

It always seems to be building things that require steel more taking my steel than using it for walls. So more the things you mention at the end. Silver mostly just seems in short supply compared to trade goods I want to buy early game, when I'm scraping to buy enough medicine to make medical beds, and then once I start selling stuff the silver I get for my trade goods itself clogs up my stockpiles.

I do always have a tailor working away, as mentioned, tending towards cowboy hats. If dusters are more economical I may switch to that, but I kind of like the thought of being the galaxy's source of cowboy hats for some reason. But at the rate cotton grows, I have enough cowboy hats to fill the space of both your stockpiles pretty quickly, as if they weren't already filled with everything else.

I did make statues once but then I mostly didn't find anyone that would buy them.

Spakstik posted:

Trade beacons are always outside; you'll notice that if you build one in a room, it automatically cuts a hole in the roof around the beacon. Not sure how this works when your base is inside a mountain, though.
So far I've been building into mountains, and in the absence of Z-levels I'm not certain, but it seems entirely inside.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Spakstik posted:

In terms of priorities, I think the best route is to get a stonecutter table researched and set up as quickly as possible so you can start using stone blocks for construction rather than steel. The base I built in the screenshot above is basically entirely steel and I ended up regretting it, because steel becomes a bit more valuable as the game progresses--you'll want it to build things like turrets, geothermal power plants, and spaceship parts. It'll seem plentiful at first, but you'll chew through your supply (and the map's supply) in short order, and having to rely on a passing bulk goods trader for basic materials kind of sucks.

If you're in an area with trees, you can quickly cut a bunch down and build with wood instead of steel to start out.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You'll learn which buildings the enemy AI prioritises after a bit of playing. Those are really the only ones you want to build with steel walls until you can get an economy going.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

So far I've been building into mountains, and in the absence of Z-levels I'm not certain, but it seems entirely inside.

Some of it is, some of it isn't - you'll sometimes uncover interior spaces hidden by mountains that is actually outside, which is sometimes pretty useful because you can farm in a highly secure little spot (e.g.). There is some tracking of mountain height, because that controls whether mortar hits will penetrate or not, but it isn't exposed to the player as far as I can tell.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Some of it is, some of it isn't - you'll sometimes uncover interior spaces hidden by mountains that is actually outside, which is sometimes pretty useful because you can farm in a highly secure little spot (e.g.). There is some tracking of mountain height, because that controls whether mortar hits will penetrate or not, but it isn't exposed to the player as far as I can tell.

The only hints you get are the little 'thin rock roof/thick rock roof/mountain covering' blurbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Does colonist shooting skill affect their use of mortars? because these guys are lovely shots.