Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I got a little nauseated just thinking about eating 8 percocets worth of acetaminophen in one morning.

edit: Um, games. I've been playing New Vegas again. It's so good and now I'm excited for Pillars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Palpek posted:

Add the new Shadow Warrior to the list and if you haven't played a single player FPS for so long then Bulletstorm and Painkiller: Hell & Damnation are fantastic too.

What's the deal with H&D DLC? Is the base game really that limited?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Sinking Ship posted:

Are there any 'modern shooter' type games that can stand on their single player? I've had this itch to play a shooty game but I don't really like online multiplayer so I'd rather avoid shelling out for some AAA release where 90% of the content is online. My problem is I haven't played pretty much any shooter since Halo 3 and that franchise isn't available on PC so I'm not sure what's worth my money.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50300/ that should fit the bill nicely

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Anyone else having issues with Steam this morning? Not completing purchases, being generally slow, etc?

Just want to make sure I'm not seeing things/having account trouble. I tried to make a purchase and it stuck at "working" for a while, and then the purchase never completed and failed.

I've been having issues too, I tried buying Deadly Premonition twice (its 90% off till the 25th) and it stays stuck at "working" for the purchase and eventually is just removed from my library.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Call of Juarez Gunslinger is also a seriously fun single player FPS.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
So this is pretty audacious - http://store.steampowered.com/app/348180/

Starship Traveller

quote:

Sucked through the appalling nightmare of the Seltsian Void, the starship Traveller emerges at the other side of the black hole into an unknown universe. YOU are the captain of the Traveller, and her fate lies in your hands. Will you be able to discover the way back to Earth from the alien peoples and planets you encounter, or will you and your crew be doomed to roam uncharted space forever?

With Fighting Fantasy's popularity on the rise in the 80s, Steve Jackson was inspired by a different setting from the traditional swords and sorcery - instead looking to science fiction. Starship Traveller allows players to control an entire ship and crew, with each member skilled in certain abilities.

Explore the vast reaches of space, updated for PC, Mac and Linux. Presented in full colour with realistic physics-based dice rolling for battles, auto-mapping, an auto-updated adventure sheet and stat keeping.

Here's hoping that they have a crack at Deathtrap Dungeon.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sinking Ship posted:

Are there any 'modern shooter' type games that can stand on their single player? I've had this itch to play a shooty game but I don't really like online multiplayer so I'd rather avoid shelling out for some AAA release where 90% of the content is online. My problem is I haven't played pretty much any shooter since Halo 3 and that franchise isn't available on PC so I'm not sure what's worth my money.

Metro 2033 and Last Light. You missed the redux versions being on sale a little while ago though.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Alien Isolation is on GMG at 66% off.

Down to $13.59 with code 20OFFM-ATTHEW-HATTON

(Or $13.08 with 23ISTH-ANYDEA-LEQW5E though that voucher didn't seem to work for me.)

Looks like the cheapest it's been if enhanced steam is to be believed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Well poo poo I don't have much of a choice now do I.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Well poo poo I don't have much of a choice now do I.

Everyone just buy it before Palpek goes nuts.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
So Cities: Skylines is an actual city builder a la Sim City? I feel like they should've named it differently, I honestly thought it was part of the Cities XL franchise.

And speaking of games coming out this year I noticed SPAZ 2 when I got curious about the coming soon list. The first SPAZ was an enjoyable enough spaceship game, albeit a bit rough around the edges, but the 2nd one looks like they polished their ideas up a lot. Also I'm a sucker for giant gently caress off space battles.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Tony Phillips posted:

(Or $13.08 with 23ISTH-ANYDEA-LEQW5E though that voucher didn't seem to work for me.)

That 23% code works for me in case anyone wanted to jump on it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I tried buying Deadly Premonition twice (its 90% off till the 25th)
Wow. And they don't even advertise that anywhere. Thanks for telling me that!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Logan 5 posted:

So Cities: Skylines is an actual city builder a la Sim City? I feel like they should've named it differently, I honestly thought it was part of the Cities XL franchise.

Wow, that is terrible marketing/branding since I thought it was part of the Cities series, and immediately wrote it off as trash. Hell, they probably could have named it Skylines and it would have been a better name.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sinking Ship posted:

Seconding Bulletstorm. Fantastic game. The Call of Juarez one was really good, too. Metro Last Light and the other Metro game are also pretty great. Blood dragon was alright, I guess - I kinda got bored with it two hours in.

Deus Ex: HR is fantastic, but might not be as 'shooty' as you want.

It's not an FPS, but Splinter Cell: Blacklist is a fantastic shooty game. Even better if you go stealthy-shooty.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tony Phillips posted:

Everyone just buy it before Palpek goes nuts.
:agreed:

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Tony Phillips posted:

Thanks for this, just picked it up. Also, the second code worked for me.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Logan 5 posted:

Caught me off guard too.

Played it last night, waaay past my bedtime, and it's a solid city builder. The introduction system actually leads you nicely into a staged setup about the different moving parts, but it'll be immediately familiar to fans of simcity.

Differences to watch out for:

Powerplants are initially not very effective, so a town of 5000 needs something like four coal-fired plants, which feels excessive.

You can set up districts which allow you to change the business emphasis of an industrial district, eg farming vs oil-based. These depend on 'natural resources', which are scattered over the wider landscape.

Space your poo poo out. My battery-farming style has filled a quarter of the space of the first area, and the additional areas are unlocking for a pittance. Yeah, huge continuous landscapes are possible.

Another gotcha:

Water and sewage will happily flow down the same pipe (it becomes a double pipe).

They're still using the demand indicators, which is gravy. I've just started to unlock the transportation stuff, and the first is buses. You create the routes that the buses take using a system of stops to create loops.

Edit:

The grey poo poo around the industries is pollution, and it actually kills any trees over time that sit in it.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 12, 2015

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Huh.

Went back and the second code is working for me now. Not sure what i did wrong previously.

Used some store credit from old playfire shenanigans that outweighed the discount anyway, so it's all fine with me.

Not that I'll be playing it for a while anyway, but can someone that has played it (Palpek?) weigh in on the DLC? Anything worth grabbing when it's on sale?

Edit - looks like a load of BS multiplayer maps or something.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 12, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Serious Sam 3 is not a good game.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Alien Isolation for $13 is the poo poo that makes my dick hard, goddamn.

Any of the DLC needed/required for maximum enjoyment?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

Not that I'll be playing it for a while anyway, but can someone that has played it (Palpek?) weigh in on the DLC? Anything worth grabbing when it's on sale?

The Isolation DLC is all single-player "challenge missions" with a leaderboard and scoring structure and which reuse the maps from the main game while giving you different objectives. Whether you want it or not will depend on whether or not you feel like you got enough game from Isolation proper, since it's just a lot more of the same. Considering Isolation is already reasonably long (20 hours, although it's well-paced) and can be pretty exhausting to play, I've never felt the need to play more of it.

If you do want more of the same, just grab the season pass.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tony Phillips posted:

Edit - looks like a load of BS multiplayer maps or something.
They're challenge maps which means that you're dropped on one end and you have to get to the other and do some objectives in between. The DLC descriptions are deceptive as it seems like there's some kind of story to them while in reality you get a bit of flavor text at the beginning and that's it. Some people like them though.

The only DLCs I can recommend are Crew Expandable and Last Survivor as they're reenectments of a few scenes from the first movie, they have voice acting and are pretty cool overall. They're short though.

None of the DLC are really necessary and the aformentioned good ones should be played after beating the main game anyway as they spoil the weapons and Alien behavior.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

GrandpaPants posted:

Wow, that is terrible marketing/branding since I thought it was part of the Cities series, and immediately wrote it off as trash. Hell, they probably could have named it Skylines and it would have been a better name.

Yeah I would've completely overlooked it too if it wasn't for people saying its the new Sim City we should've gotten. Even so I guess its technically part of the Cities in Motion franchise, which outside of the sim city comparison elicts the same reaction out of me. They really shouldve come up with something sounding like a new IP, even it was just 'Skylines'.

Hav posted:

Caught me off guard too.

Played it last night, waaay past my bedtime, and it's a solid city builder. The introduction system actually leads you nicely into a staged setup about the different moving parts, but it'll be immediately familiar to fans of simcity.

Differences to watch out for:

Powerplants are initially not very effective, so a town of 5000 needs something like four coal-fired plants, which feels excessive.

You can set up districts which allow you to change the business emphasis of an industrial district, eg farming vs oil-based. These depend on 'natural resources', which are scattered over the wider landscape.

Space your poo poo out. My battery-farming style has filled a quarter of the space of the first area, and the additional areas are unlocking for a pittance. Yeah, huge continuous landscapes are possible.

Another gotcha:

Water and sewage will happily flow down the same pipe (it becomes a double pipe).

They're still using the demand indicators, which is gravy. I've just started to unlock the transportation stuff, and the first is buses. You create the routes that the buses take using a system of stops to create loops.

Edit:

The grey poo poo around the industries is pollution, and it actually kills any trees over time that sit in it.

Thanks for the info, but what I really want to know is how many fire tornados and alien ships I can send in frustration against the city I spent hous making becuase the advisors are fickle impossible to please assholes. Tia.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sinking Ship posted:

You want Wolfenstein: TNO.
Ignore everyone else. Shoot moon Nazis.
Plus there's a DLC/expansion coming out and you'll probably want that too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seconding that. TNO has a bunch of collectibles to rummage around for, encouraging replay, and the plot/world is surprisingly engaging.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alien Isolation is extremely good

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Praise Gaben.

I bought that with the voucher. 13 bucks for Alien Isolation is a goddamn steal.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cities: Skylines is cheap on Nuuvem if it's just appearing on your radar (essentially 50% off as far as UK pricing goes).

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the shooter recommendations goons. My wishlist is much expanded now, only debating if Wolfenstien is worth buying at full price... it does look to be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for - I guess that's why God gave me a credit card.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sid Meier's Starships launches today! In fact...it should be launching right now!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sinking Ship posted:

Thanks for all the shooter recommendations goons. My wishlist is much expanded now, only debating if Wolfenstien is worth buying at full price... it does look to be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for - I guess that's why God gave me a credit card.

There are some really good cheap shoot'em up bullet hells on Steam if you're not only interested in FPSs. Gundemonium and Ikaruga rock.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress me I missed Meowbot

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

EDIT: Fixed now, nothing to see.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 12, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Are there any known problems using Uplay with Child of Light?

Orv
May 4, 2011
All of the good X games are also on sale.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
X Rebirth is still hot garbage, right? I remember X3 was garbage for a while and then it got good with version 2.0, so I'm hoping Rebirth is eventually salvageable.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

X Rebirth is still hot garbage, right? I remember X3 was garbage for a while and then it got good with version 2.0, so I'm hoping Rebirth is eventually salvageable.

Still garbage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Logan 5 posted:

Yeah I would've completely overlooked it too if it wasn't for people saying its the new Sim City we should've gotten. Even so I guess its technically part of the Cities in Motion franchise, which outside of the sim city comparison elicts the same reaction out of me. They really shouldve come up with something sounding like a new IP, even it was just 'Skylines'.

Thanks for the info, but what I really want to know is how many fire tornados and alien ships I can send in frustration against the city I spent hous making becuase the advisors are fickle impossible to please assholes. Tia.
There's no button to hit for blow this poo poo up now, but you can force your citizens to shower and drink their own sewage with the right placement of water intakes and sewage outflows, and with clever drat engineering you can often flood large areas of inhabited city, or else reclaim a riverbed just to flood the idiots who move in at a later date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Metro 2033 and Last Light. You missed the redux versions being on sale a little while ago though.

Metro: Last Light is very much a modern shooter, in the sense that is has an annoying amount of non-interactive sequences.

• Locked thread