Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!

kastein posted:

If those are spotwelded or pressed in studs, just yank em out and put bolts and washers through from the top. Grade 8, please.

If they are MIG welded in, you can still do that, it'll just involve an angle grinder or die grinder and patience instead of 30 seconds with your largest drift punch and hammer.

BAD IDEA!!! Those studs are indeed welded from the top, and if the accessability to the top is anywhere near as bad as it is on my MS3, you don't want any part of that. Ask me how I know :)

PB blast and try to salvage those studs. The shock mounts are cheap on Rock Auto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Yeah, considering my M3 and your MS3 have the same body, they're totally a bitch to get to.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Soodonim posted:

BAD IDEA!!! Those studs are indeed welded from the top, and if the accessability to the top is anywhere near as bad as it is on my MS3, you don't want any part of that. Ask me how I know :)

PB blast and try to salvage those studs. The shock mounts are cheap on Rock Auto.

Well, yeah, that's a drat good point. I'm used to rusty cars and fishing new fasteners in place with a large assortment of curses and thrown tools, so I didn't even think about that.

Ask me (or any other XJ owner) about XJ rear leaf spring weldnuts sometime. Or rear shock bolts, but those are a walk in the park compared to the leaf spring weldnuts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, you want to salvage those studs. I would also be tempted to wire wheel in that general vicinity to verify that it is in fact surface rust.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Wife Customer gets home and complains that the vehicle, an R56 Mini, is making horrible noises while braking.

"I see your problem right here, Dr."

Where did it go? I don't know, but I put that on according to the torque spec! Now I have to ride to Ontario or Monrovia tomorrow morning for a new one...

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Farking Bastage posted:

My uncle put 300k on that old Ford I-6 without an overhaul at a time where such mileage was unheard of. Those things are unbelievable. I often wonder how one would do with modern fuel delivery and valvetrain.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(Australia)

Modern fuel delivery, valvetrain, *and* a factory turbo if you wish. :australia:

Falcons are by far the most common taxi around here, and they do stratospheric mileages with minimal maintenance.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

metaxus posted:

Falcons are by far the most common taxi around here, and they do stratospheric mileages with minimal maintenance.

That's not really much of an achievement, considering the stratosphere sits between 10km and 50km altitude :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, you want to salvage those studs. I would also be tempted to wire wheel in that general vicinity to verify that it is in fact surface rust.

From the general look of things and the description of the noises, that shock has been wandering around freely in the tower banging into things as hard as a shock normally does, so I think he can probably forgo the usual punch-and-hammer rustbelt rot dowsing.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

kastein posted:

From the general look of things and the description of the noises, that shock has been wandering around freely in the tower banging into things as hard as a shock normally does, so I think he can probably forgo the usual punch-and-hammer rustbelt rot dowsing.

Yeah, the wheel well and tower are surprisingly intact. Now, if we want to talk about the jack points, or the sills, or the wheel arches then, yeah. They're rusty as poo poo because this thing suffers from an overabundance of Mazda rot. There's even bubbling paint beneath the center brake light in the trunk lid, it's pretty shocking.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So this got towed in today. These pictures suck, I was shoving my hand under the truck and snapping blindly so I wouldn't get crushed if it fell.
Top view, taken from beside the engine

Pictured: the floor of the cab and the bottom of the tranny.

Rear view

Where's that shifter going?

Ah, right into that air tank.

And a bit wider shot of the left side.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 14, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
what a loving mess holy poo poo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I..uh...what?

What the gently caress happened to that truck? I mean I can see the pictures of the end result, but what the hell caused that?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

I..uh...what?

What the gently caress happened to that truck? I mean I can see the pictures of the end result, but what the hell caused that?

Bellhousing bolt failure (clutch job 3 weeks ago, so improper torque most likely). The driver was lucky in that it rotated clockwise, I've heard stories about people being hospitalized after getting hit by their shifter when this happens and it goes the other way.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Tommychu posted:

Bellhousing bolt failure (clutch job 3 weeks ago, so improper torque most likely). The driver was lucky in that it rotated clockwise, I've heard stories about people being hospitalized after getting hit by their shifter when this happens and it goes the other way.

Ok that's what I thought it was but I've never actually heard of it happening before :stare: Dude is super lucky.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Tommychu posted:

As a guy who has hosed up some cars in the past including backing out without pumping up the brakes into a tree (live and learn), I would hate to be that tech.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

KozmoNaut posted:

That's not really much of an achievement, considering the stratosphere sits between 10km and 50km altitude :v:

:rimshot:

You know what I mean...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

metaxus posted:

Still?

Over here in New Zealand that used to be the case years ago, but now its almost all Priuses, Hybrid Camry's with the occasional diesel Mondeo, Cruze or Malibu

Speaking to a few drivers the Camry is the car they all want

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Today's horrible mechanical failure comes courtesy of my E46's broken wiper linkage:

The broken arm is a result of the right-hand pivot (the one obviously not in the right place) getting corroded internally and seizing up, causing the pivot casting to snap where it's press-fit into the linkage when I used my wipers last. It was a bit of a hassle to remove and reinstall (but not that bad, all things considered), but the best thing about it is...I get to do it all over again tomorrow, because the wipers aren't parking properly! :suicide:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MrChips posted:

Today's horrible mechanical failure comes courtesy of my E46's broken wiper linkage:

The linkage on my E34 failed in a similar but more spectacular manner and was one of the factors in it going to the junkyard.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

dissss posted:

Still?

Over here in New Zealand that used to be the case years ago, but now its almost all Priuses, Hybrid Camry's with the occasional diesel Mondeo, Cruze or Malibu

Speaking to a few drivers the Camry is the car they all want
Petrol cost ~ $2.00 per litre in NZ compared to ~$1.25 in Aus and our dollars are worth about the same.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Petrol cost ~ $2.00 per litre in NZ compared to ~$1.25 in Aus and our dollars are worth about the same.

Yeah this.

Also worth mentioning that a camry will do moon mileage and at the end you'll still have a camry.

A falcon engine will do moon mileage but at the end you'll have no interior and be on your fourth transmission.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
A lot of the taxi fleet is being replaced by prius and camrys now. No diesels though.
That said,

Slavvy posted:

Yeah this.

Also worth mentioning that a camry will do moon mileage and at the end you'll still have a camry.

A falcon engine will do moon mileage but at the end you'll have no interior and be on your fourth transmission.

Bullshit, especially if talking about aussie made camrys. My older brother bought an older avalon, my younger brother bought a camry just for the novelty that he found a 5sp man camry, while I had a falcon. I didn't have many troubles (there were a few, but they seemed to have just as many, if not more). All had problems with the odd 1990s interior bits breaking (roof lining, regulators), all had a minor electrical bit - for me it was a dizzy, for them and alternator, fuel pump or starter. but none had major problems, no heads/head gaskets, even the transmission was fine on mine because i actually serviced it - instead of crying too hard without a dipstick or listening to 'sealed for life' claims.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 14, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've seen 40 series hybrids do upwards of 400,000km with only interior poo poo falling apart, because taxi duty is rough. Taxi drivers here by and large take worse care of their car than someone who sits on a car forum talking about transmission reliability.

None of this matters cause anecdotes aren't facts :shrug:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah but I had to call BS because both will do moon mileage and both with have interiors falling apart by then and only be worth scrap.
The only difference being if you don't ever service the trans on the falcon then it won't last as long as the motor. okey dokey.

* Would also need an aftermarket external air cooler to ensure engine coolant never meets auto fluid, I'll give you that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

And then you have a Ford with over 550,000 miles (not km), all put on by the original owner, supposedly on the original engine according to some related articles I dug up.

e: 567k when she stopped driving, still on the original engine and a/c :stare:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 14, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

She reminds me of my late grandma and her Bronco with 300k + on it. She called it smokey :unsmith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She sounds like that car made a gearhead out of her. :3:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

As a guy who has hosed up some cars in the past including backing out without pumping up the brakes into a tree (live and learn), I would hate to be that tech.

The worst bit is that the surrounding situation is as ugly as the pictures I posted- whoever did that clutch job is refusing to stand behind it, we have a 'no used parts' policy (granted, the situation that caused us to put that policy in place was loving nasty, but this is a wholly different case and we could have made an exception) and thus quoted him north of $20k to fix it, on a '97 T600 worth maybe 25k. Dude was close to tears when we showed him the extent of the damage :smith:
He ended up finding another reputable shop that is doing it for a much more reasonable price though :unsmith:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

No pictures because my phone is rear end and wouldn't focus.

I've been putting about a bottle of power steering fluid into my '97 olds 88 once a week or so. The bottom of the reservoir was covered in fluid, so I figured it cracked as they are wont to do.

Went to autozone, got a pump and pulley tool, went to rent-a-lift shop. Up on the lift, wheel off, spray off the pump with brake cleaner to figure out if it's really leaking. Start the car, and PS fluid is leaking out of the rack. Turns out that bottom bearing cap is AWOL and you can see the bearing turn as the wheels do.

Right-o. Car off, wheel on, off the lift, return all parts, buy a gallon of PS fluid. When the rack finally explodes, I'll replace it, but for now, it's gonna be cheaper to throw $3 a week at it.

Also the intake boot was torn terribly right next to the throttle body. Not available from anyone, even the dealer. Hit the junkyard and found one sitting on top of the first GM 3.8 motor I found. Took it to the counter and the guy said "If that's it, buddy, have a nice day."

I did, man, I did.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Went to autozone, got a pump and pulley tool, went to rent-a-lift shop.

The mere existence of this makes me so happy. We need a shop like this around NYC.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fo3 posted:

Yeah but I had to call BS because both will do moon mileage and both with have interiors falling apart by then and only be worth scrap.
The only difference being if you don't ever service the trans on the falcon then it won't last as long as the motor. okey dokey.

Maybe that was true with ancient models, but the relatively recent Toyota's are much, much better built than relatively modern Australian Fords

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

I've been putting about a bottle of power steering fluid into my '97 olds 88 once a week or so. The bottom of the reservoir was covered in fluid, so I figured it cracked as they are wont to do.

Went to autozone, got a pump and pulley tool, went to rent-a-lift shop. Up on the lift, wheel off, spray off the pump with brake cleaner to figure out if it's really leaking. Start the car, and PS fluid is leaking out of the rack. Turns out that bottom bearing cap is AWOL and you can see the bearing turn as the wheels do.

Right-o. Car off, wheel on, off the lift, return all parts, buy a gallon of PS fluid. When the rack finally explodes, I'll replace it, but for now, it's gonna be cheaper to throw $3 a week at it.

Also the intake boot was torn terribly right next to the throttle body. Not available from anyone, even the dealer. Hit the junkyard and found one sitting on top of the first GM 3.8 motor I found. Took it to the counter and the guy said "If that's it, buddy, have a nice day."

I did, man, I did.

Holy crap, gurnee isn't to far of a trip from where I am. I may have to take a car there soon for a weekend of wrenching.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SouthsideSaint posted:

Holy crap, gurnee isn't to far of a trip from where I am. I may have to take a car there soon for a weekend of wrenching.

I absolutely cannot recommend this place enough. It's like if one of us just had some strip mall space and put in 5 lifts. There are tools and stuff available, and the whole atmosphere is really chill. Run by a Bulgarian former dealer mechanic who knows quite a bit and has a good line to dealer parts suppliers. $15/hr for complete use of everything. I forgot brake cleaner, and he just grabbed a can and hosed stuff off. It's got amenities like a big pile of rags and air tools and the works. Great place.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

MrChips posted:

The broken arm is a result of the right-hand pivot (the one obviously not in the right place) getting corroded internally and seizing up, causing the pivot casting to snap where it's press-fit into the linkage when I used my wipers last. It was a bit of a hassle to remove and reinstall (but not that bad, all things considered), but the best thing about it is...I get to do it all over again tomorrow, because the wipers aren't parking properly! :suicide:

Wiper gubbins can be a bitch. They failed on my mother's Mazda 929 many moons ago. It was a stupid nylon ball joint IIRC that fell apart and stopped the whole assembly from functioning. the replacement assembly from the wrecker was $$$ but there wasn't really a choice.

The Niva's wipers were screwed when I got it too. It was a snapped spot weld. Took me maybe 10 minutes to unbolt the whole thing, cocky poo poo it with the MIG and shove it back in. Mechanical failure but design success for accessibility.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I did, man, I did.

Dude, I hit apcity all the time. Where are you at?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
gently caress working on VWs. All I have to say.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Customer came in for four tires and an alignment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP7K_7gedS8

They only got the tires. :smith:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

gently caress working on VWs. All I have to say.

Did the VAG claim blood. I have this horrible habbit of cutting my self wide open on VW products. I once had to replace the egr on a CROUTON and the build up of crud in the egr sliced my finger open..

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

kastein posted:

Probably less than if it had giubos, at least :v:

Guibos on an E30 or E28 aren't really that bad to replace, it's just 6 bolts. Plus they last over 100k miles and... You set this trap just for me and cursedshitbox, didn't you?

Here have a V8 failing at 7k RPM on the dyno. More like a horrible sperg failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16x5hW0_crM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Got-drat.